Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Covid19 BB had to pivot hard with foot traffic down so much in their stores. Moving to being more of a fulfillment center for website has probably saved a lot of jobs. YES they should do something about the game section in the stores to make it functional for traditional shoppers. Maybe a kiosk for seeing what's in stock and ordering a game for in store pickup.. or checkout at the register. This would give the store a way to advertise local specials if they even have those anymore... while still being efficient at pulling copies of games without having to go out to the regular store shelves.

Whatever the case, BB as a shopping experience has been a shell of what it has been for a long time. Covid just expedited the change. I'm just glad they adapted and didn't go under. They've been critical these last two years in me finding some more niche games without having to overpay on ebay. And forget about Amazon with their mixing of different region games in with their stock due to the third party sellers. It's too much of a gamble ordering anything that's not new release or near new release.

But yeah, I'm also someone that likes to go in stores and see displays of games. I'm buying more of what I love and not picking up as many games anymore just because they are cheap and look interesting... but on rare occasions I'll find something I forgot about that I would like to own that's cheaper than anywhere online. Walmart may have glass cases but you can see most of what's in them and they still (at least every store I've been in) will have a separate open shelf with some individually security cased up games. Mostly clearance stuff but also some of the $20 bargain games. I haven't been in a target in ages... last one I was in had all the games locked up with a display copy visible... but then they still had a separate area with bargain games that wasn't in a giant case.
Best Buy set records for revenue. They have been in no way hurting during the pandemic. Heck, they made a lot of money from the many people working from home (monitors, computer peripherals, etc). Despite this, their CEO decided to axe tons of jobs.

Best Buy set records for revenue. They have been in no way hurting during the pandemic. Heck, they made a lot of money from the many people working from home (monitors, computer peripherals, etc). Despite this, their CEO decided to axe tons of jobs.
To be fair, many stores went from doing 10-15% of their business from store pick-up/curbside to as much as 45% after stores reopened.

got yakuza like a dragon with free steelbook and added rock of ages 3 to get free shipping. couldnt resist with the steelbook, and had a $10 reward certificate i didnt know I had... anyone know what that is from? maybe purchases but doubt it

Got a 75" sony x900h in my cart for 1299... but won't let me order. Seen this price once before, and also wouldn't let me order. Possible price mistake?

We're all individuals with different opinions. If you think it looks interesting then play it yourself and make your own judgment. What's bad to him might be good to you.
Also, lots of patches thus far. Maybe some issues that people had earlier are taken care of. Hard to know for sure though.

We're all individuals with different opinions. If you think it looks interesting then play it yourself and make your own judgment. What's bad to him might be good to you.
Oh yeah, completely agree. I like a lot of games that are unpopular. Heck, I’ve got the platinum trophies for Dark Void and Vampyr among some other “stinkers” for example. I do like to know peoples’ opinions on games, though, because if it’s generally unpopular I know it’ll be cheap sooner than later and I should wait on it.

Oh yeah, completely agree. I like a lot of games that are unpopular. Heck, I’ve got the platinum trophies for Dark Void and Vampyr among some other “stinkers” for example. I do like to know peoples’ opinions on games, though, because if it’s generally unpopular I know it’ll be cheap sooner than later and I should wait on it.
I have been wanting to get Biomutant as well, but generally seems to be pretty mediocre from the reviews and user opinions I've heard. There was a fairly big batch shortly after launch that fixed a lot of people's issues with it so I imagine it is better now. Personally, I'm waiting for the $20 mark. This time of year I feel like there's so much to play and with black Friday right around the corner I can definitely wait.

Best buy is doing a black Friday in July sale. Got stuff like SMT 3 for $36, Bravely Default 2 for $43, and the Nier remake for $40.

BD 2 comes with the pre-order stuff coaster and placemat

Best buy is doing a black Friday in July sale. Got stuff like SMT 3 for $36, Bravely Default 2 for $43, and the Nier remake for $40.

BD 2 comes with the pre-order stuff coaster and placemat
Not bad prices but it's worth noting that Bravely Default 2 is currently $39.99 on Amazon and SMT 3 has been $29.99 before.

Also the Bravely Default 2 coaster and placemat set I found for free at my local Best Buy recently. Was labeled as "free" on the shelf in an aisle with other collectibles. When I stopped in a couple of days ago they also had a free Zelda: Skyward Sword decal set. And awhile ago they also had Animal Crossing: New Horizons microfiber cleaning cloths for $0.01 as I recall. Seems like they may offer these kind of pre-order bonuses and such for free (or close thereto) if they have extras.

Had a erewards cert redemption which I had been slacking on using as there's never anything good to spend them on anymore at Best Buy, but that Yakuza: Like a Dragon deal (price drop?) seems worth it. At least to add to my collection of games I've never played outside of getting a third of the way through Judgment and falling off. It's great, a little too much foodie stuff and the combat doesn't scratch that Sleeping Dogs itch (like some said it would), but the story and sidequests more than make up for it.

I’m guessing this is a COVID thing, but is anyone having issues with orders not getting to them even remotely on time?

I ordered the Zack Snyder Justice League steel book and it looks like that order will get cancelled (not sure if they just decided not to make the steel book or not, it’s not on their site anymore). Also the Deathloop steel book was supposed to get here on Tuesday and it hasn’t even shipped yet. Just curious.

I’m guessing this is a COVID thing, but is anyone having issues with orders not getting to them even remotely on time?

I ordered the Zack Snyder Justice League steel book and it looks like that order will get cancelled (not sure if they just decided not to make the steel book or not, it’s not on their site anymore). Also the Deathloop steel book was supposed to get here on Tuesday and it hasn’t even shipped yet. Just curious.
Yeah my in store pickup order for deathloop was delayed and the steelbook hasn't shipped. Not sure what's going on.

I'm to the point where I'm done w/ Best Buy. During their 10 days for $10 sale I bought Cyberpunk 2077, because why not it's only $10. Make the order and a few hours later I receive an e-mail that it's delayed. Ok, not a big deal. Keep checking and still shows delayed.

Try their online chat last week and that was a complete waste of time, ends with them telling me to call the store. So I call their Customer Support number, dude was cool and actually helpful. Said that it was due to the Steel book not being in-stock and that the order was scheduled to be canceled Sunday if I didn't pick it up. Alright I'll go to the store.

Get to the store and wait in line, guy scans it goes to look for it can't find it. Explain what the CS Rep. said to me on the phone, dude keeps looking and calls a manager over. While waiting check the app and not just the game, but the steel book show in-stock, now I know apps and stock levels can be off, but this is vital. Manager arrives says it's delayed and they don't have it, but they have a truck being unloaded and it may be on that. 

Whatever go check the game section find my items, game and steel book. Grab them and head back to CS. Tell the lady what's going on. She has that IDKWTF to do look going on. Calls the same manager over. Tell her I just picked my order up off the shelf and ask why it was delayed for over a month, /shrugs IDK, but we can't fill the order since it's delayed. But we can cancel your order and you can buy that. Explain it was a $10 deal of the day special and that was met w/ a hard nope, can't price match that. 

TL:DR: Ordered a $10 deal of the day game, order stuck as delayed for over a month, picked my own order from the shelf, BB couldn't fulfill it or price match my purchase.

I'm to the point where I'm done w/ Best Buy. During their 10 days for $10 sale I bought Cyberpunk 2077, because why not it's only $10. Make the order and a few hours later I receive an e-mail that it's delayed. Ok, not a big deal. Keep checking and still shows delayed.

Try their online chat last week and that was a complete waste of time, ends with them telling me to call the store. So I call their Customer Support number, dude was cool and actually helpful. Said that it was due to the Steel book not being in-stock and that the order was scheduled to be canceled Sunday if I didn't pick it up. Alright I'll go to the store.

Get to the store and wait in line, guy scans it goes to look for it can't find it. Explain what the CS Rep. said to me on the phone, dude keeps looking and calls a manager over. While waiting check the app and not just the game, but the steel book show in-stock, now I know apps and stock levels can be off, but this is vital. Manager arrives says it's delayed and they don't have it, but they have a truck being unloaded and it may be on that.

Whatever go check the game section find my items, game and steel book. Grab them and head back to CS. Tell the lady what's going on. She has that IDKWTF to do look going on. Calls the same manager over. Tell her I just picked my order up off the shelf and ask why it was delayed for over a month, /shrugs IDK, but we can't fill the order since it's delayed. But we can cancel your order and you can buy that. Explain it was a $10 deal of the day special and that was met w/ a hard nope, can't price match that.

TL:DR: Ordered a $10 deal of the day game, order stuck as delayed for over a month, picked my own order from the shelf, BB couldn't fulfill it or price match my purchase.
That's... incredibly crummy. I ordered during the same sale, had the same "Delayed" message for my order, saw them on the shelf while there buying something else and the manager just scanned them in as "picked" and I was out the door.

Not sure why the folks at your store were so difficult, while at mine it was a simple "Here's my order that I should get here, the item was out on the shelf, sooooo can we do this?" being met with "Sure thing"

I just noticed that Cruis'n Blast still has a free $10 gift card with purchase even though it is past the "pre order and get $10" promotion. Has Best Buy been doing this with these type of games? Just thought it was interesting.

Yeah my in store pickup order for deathloop was delayed and the steelbook hasn't shipped. Not sure what's going on.
I think us talking about it jinxed it for me lol. Deathloop steel book just shipped and Justice League steel book shipped (thank goodness, was thinking this thing was never even made, preordered and heard nothing about it til today).

I think us talking about it jinxed it for me lol. Deathloop steel book just shipped and Justice League steel book shipped (thank goodness, was thinking this thing was never even made, preordered and heard nothing about it til today).
Nice! I just opted to have my deathloop order shipped instead of in store pick up, we'll see how that shakes out. The option was there in the order and now says expected delivery Friday.

I just noticed that Cruis'n Blast still has a free $10 gift card with purchase even though it is past the "pre order and get $10" promotion. Has Best Buy been doing this with these type of games? Just thought it was interesting.
It's not uncommon for those gift card deals to last through the first week of release or at least until the next major ad change.

So you found the item(s) on the shelf and had it in your hands yet they said they couldn't fill the order...... that's just asinine and ludicrous. The whole story reeks of underhanded bait & switch tactics. If that happened to me I would file a complaint with corporate and/or the store manager because that's real shitty customer service.

So you found the item(s) on the shelf and had it in your hands yet they said they couldn't fill the order...... that's just asinine and ludicrous. The whole story reeks of underhanded bait & switch tactics. If that happened to me I would file a complaint with corporate and/or the store manager because that's real shitty customer service.
Made a complaint and did a review bomb for my now canceled Cyberpunk order, nothing has came from either.

BB customer service has become worthless at best. BB has screwed up my orders multiple times over the past years and every time I contacted CS to try to rectify it they basically said (not in these words) "tough shit". If you buy something on sale and they send you the wrong item or never send it at all, lose it after saying it's ready for pickup, etc. they will just tell you that there's nothing they can do and you can just rebuy it for the current more expensive price. One even told me they reserve the right not to sell products to anyone and that it's a privilege, not a right to order from them and I can try buying from another retailer like Amazon if I don't like it (and I wasn't even being rude to get this type of response!). People talk shit about GS but every problem I've reached out to CS over a problem caused by a store or their shipping department they actually fixed it so take it as you will.

Yeah their customer service is horrible. They sent me a game around 2 years ago that was not sealed and the case was damaged. I was told to return it. I sent it back and they rejected it saying they can't accept a returned on an opened game. :bomb:

After too much time wasted with customer service, they agreed to give me a gift card for the return which I wasn't thrilled about but didn't feel like arguing with them anymore.

That and combined with no more GCU and not that many great deals in general (remember the $4.99 deals of the day for good games?) and I rarely buy anything from them anymore.

I haven't had too many bad experiences with them thankfully but last year when I ordered nier automata and they sent me the outer worlds I was pretty ticked. But here's the kicker. They sent me 3 copies of the outer worlds. I did the right thing and returned them and only got a refund for my 14$ copy of nier. No apology for the error or a credit or something to make up for it. If by some chance a similar thing ever happens I sure as hell won't return the games and just resell them or something.

I mean how do you send not only the wrong game but 3 copies of it? My own dumb mistake for not reselling them since even if I sold each one at 25 I'd still have made a profit. Iirc it was going for around 30-35 at the time on best buys website too. You would think I'd at least have gotten a effin thank you for my honesty.

Bestbuy played GameStop with me. Just way worse service though

Got an opened CE with the game inside opened as well. Both were supposed to be sealed

And then the lady in store tells me that it’s against state law to accept return of opened games.

She was acting as if she will be arrested for taking back a game they sent me opened. Outer box had a bestbuy sticker that showed it was shipped from a store. So obviously the sticker was put after taking off shrink wrap

I stood my ground & a manager turned out to have some common sense & took it back. Bestbuy is going to lose customers with such practices 

Bestbuy played GameStop with me. Just way worse service though

Got an opened CE with the game inside opened as well. Both were supposed to be sealed

And then the lady in store tells me that it’s against state law to accept return of opened games.

She was acting as if she will be arrested for taking back a game they sent me opened. Outer box had a bestbuy sticker that showed it was shipped from a store. So obviously the sticker was put after taking off shrink wrap

I stood my ground & a manager turned out to have some common sense & took it back. Bestbuy is going to lose customers with such practices
Best Buy is not long for the world. It’s about to join Circuit City in that great mall in the sky (or as a purchased name to use on an electronics site).

The closest BB to me used to have like 12 registers. They removed 8. There’s only 4 left

People still shop at BB since GCU was canceled? I didn't even qualify for elite this year, which is a first in like a decade I think.

I went to my local Best Buy a couple of weeks ago for an IPad accessory and the cashier could not have been more of a douchebag. fuck you, Best Buy, I’m done with you.

That story about cyberpunk reminded of my experience from last year, I preorder'd cyberpunk collector edition when I still had GCU, and my email/bill said $200+tax, but when it shipped on release date, I saw I got billed on my credit card for $250+tax, so I asked their live chat for the 50 dollar, and guy gave me a hard time for about 30 mins, I even linked their preorder price guarantee all that stuff, he just laughed and told me to go bugger myself. And the next day I read the review the game was absolutely garbage/unplayable, so I returned that right away.

That story about cyberpunk reminded of my experience from last year, I preorder'd cyberpunk collector edition when I still had GCU, and my email/bill said $200+tax, but when it shipped on release date, I saw I got billed on my credit card for $250+tax, so I asked their live chat for the 50 dollar, and guy gave me a hard time for about 30 mins, I even linked their preorder price guarantee all that stuff, he just laughed and told me to go bugger myself. And the next day I read the review the game was absolutely garbage/unplayable, so I returned that right away.
You shouldn't have returned it. Cd projekt red gave me a $200 refund and I kept the CE, which had some really nice stuff in it

I shop there primarily for the exclusive Marvel Steelbooks. And we recently got a nice new oven from there. But for video games... not so much.
Yeah, ever since D+ hit streaming I've had no desire to buy any of their movies. For video games, well I've been to GameStop every month now for my $5 Xbox credit from PUR but that's about it heh.

Yeah, ever since D+ hit streaming I've had no desire to buy any of their movies. For video games, well I've been to GameStop every month now for my $5 Xbox credit from PUR but that's about it heh.
Agreed, I have only bought a few games since GCU ended and usually they were a price match to GS. The $5 I use for xbox credit and just wait for a sale of a game that isnt on gamepass.

Not truly a YMMV post but I noticed “Immortals Fenyx Rising” is on sale on all formats for $19.99 on Amazon, 1st party seller. I’ve never price matched a video game from $59.99 down to that low below…wondering if BB would give me guff over it. The listing says Prime but only for shipping. In my experience, BB looks for any way not to price match and $40 off a full price game is likely something they will freak out over.

Not truly a YMMV post but I noticed “Immortals Fenyx Rising” is on sale on all formats for $19.99 on Amazon, 1st party seller. I’ve never price matched a video game from $59.99 down to that low below…wondering if BB would give me guff over it. The listing says Prime but only for shipping. In my experience, BB looks for any way not to price match and $40 off a full price game is likely something they will freak out over.
I suppose there's a chance they might and I can't say I have read through the current price match policy to see if it has any clauses for newer restrictions. That said, if you try it and they give you an issue one thing you could mention that supports your case is that they have put the game on sale themselves for $24.99 multiple times the past few months (I imagine they have a way of seeing this in their system?) so another $5 really isn't as much as it may seem given the standard 'on sale' price for the game thus far -- across various retailers frankly.

edit: Or consider just price matching with Target instead if that's an option. They've never given me an issue with matching on an item sold direct from Amazon.

I suppose there's a chance they might and I can't say I have read through the current price match policy to see if it has any clauses for newer restrictions. That said, if you try it and they give you an issue one thing you could mention that supports your case is that they have put the game on sale themselves for $24.99 multiple times the past few months (I imagine they have a way of seeing this in their system?) so another $5 really isn't as much as it may seem given the standard 'on sale' price for the game thus far -- across various retailers frankly.

edit: Or consider just price matching with Target instead if that's an option. They've never given me an issue with matching on an item sold direct from Amazon.
Thanks…that’s a good idea to mention their own recent price drop down to $25. Would try at Target but I have BB gift cards. Am trying this price match later today…we shall see what happens.

Thanks…that’s a good idea to mention their own recent price drop down to $25. Would try at Target but I have BB gift cards. Am trying this price match later today…we shall see what happens.
You should have no problem. As long as the price seems reasonable they will likely just do it nowadays without a second thought. If you were claiming Amazon had it for $2 they might be suspicious. Price matching is so much easier now that they match online. I always hated standing there when they used to call the local competitor to verify the price.

there should be no problem price matching as long as amazon still has it in stock
You were all correct…just got back from BB. I’ve gotten hard ass associates before who gave me the 9th degree but the dude today simply scanned the game to look it up for comparison and gave me no issues.

You should have no problem. As long as the price seems reasonable they will likely just do it nowadays without a second thought. If you were claiming Amazon had it for $2 they might be suspicious. Price matching is so much easier now that they match online. I always hated standing there when they used to call the local competitor to verify the price.
I wasn’t aware you could price match online now. Is it pretty simple? I’ll have to look up how to do it…as I can’t recall seeing a price match link on the site. Thought it was only possible either in person or on the phone with BB main #.

bread's done
Back