Best Game Plot

[quote name='antlp89']Bioshock.[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

Some other good ones were Hotel Dusk, MGS3, Half-Life 2, Braid, Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain, and Indigo Prophecy (for the most part).

And I really like Left 4 Dead's minimal story decision, so I'll throw that in here since everyone mentioned it in the "worst plots" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
mass effect 1
mass effect 2
red dead revolver
alan wake
splinter cell conviction
earthworm jim
vectorman
shinobi
excitebike
DDR
Rock Band 2

I Liked the story and atmosphere from the recordings in the original Bioshock, but the last few hours of Bioshock 2 had me hooked all the way to the end more so then the first.

Other then that I loved The Darkness in terms of plot and characters.

I like a ton of different game stories but some that really stand out: Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, Bioshock, and Red Dead Redemption.:)

Bioshock? The plot was ridiculous!

from wikipedia:

Eventually, after completing tasks like saving an artificial forest from dying and helping an insane artist build his sculpture, Jack confronts Ryan in his office, where the latter is casually playing golf. Ryan reveals a truth that he has pieced together. Jack was actually born in Rapture a mere two years ago, genetically modified to mature rapidly. He is Ryan's illegitimate son by an affair with Jasmine Jolene, a dancer. When Jolene became pregnant with Jack, she, in desperate need of money, had his embryo surgically removed and sold it to the highest bidder. She had not realized it was Frank Fontaine who purchased the son, leading to her death by an enraged Ryan. Ryan further reveals that, after purchasing Jack's embryo, Fontaine designed him to obey orders that are preceded by the specific phrase "Would you kindly..." Jack was then sent to the surface when the war started to put him beyond Ryan's reach. When the conflict between Fontaine and Ryan reached a stalemate, Jack was sent instructions to board a flight with a package and to use its contents, a revolver, to hijack and crash the plane near the lighthouse, enabling him to return to Rapture as a tool of Fontaine. Because Jack was Ryan's son, he could freely use Rapture's bathysphere network, which had been locked out to everyone except those within Ryan's "genetic ballpark". Finally, Ryan has Jack kill him, wanting to die on his own terms. With Ryan's death, Jack realizes too late that Atlas has also been using the trigger phrase to control him. Atlas reveals himself as Fontaine, who faked his death to throw Ryan off his trail and take control of the city, leaving Jack at the mercy of the reactivated security systems

fuckING RIDICULOUS!

Mass Effect 1 & 2
Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3
Suikoden 2 & 5
Assassins Creed 2
Lunar
Final Fantasy 6

Some games like Bioshock & Shenmue I want to say have good plots, but I think I'm more in love with the atmosphere than anything else. And other games like Persona 4 and Tales of .... had great characters and character interaction, while the plot wasn't anything special.

I disagree with Bioshock games having good plot. They have amazing settings, and a rich background-- but the actual narrative is weak.

You could argue that Rapture is the character in the game, and the player is just an elaborate plot device used to progress our understanding of the environment, at which point, I'd agree that it's got a good plot, or something.

Nobody has mentioned Uncharted. I know some people didnt like the stories in those games, but they are very much in the vein of those old pulp action adventures.

Here is a short list:
MGS3 - There is so much happening in that game.

Dead Space - i know it's basically every sci-fi horror film lumped together, but it's engaging.

Resistance - I don't know if it's so much "Plot" as much as I really liked the way the first half of the game was presented. It was like an interactive History Channel special for the first part of the game from an alternate reality. The game didn't keep that style all the way through, and it was gone by the sequel. :(

Mass Effect 1 and 2.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Those would be the two I've enjoyed the stories a good bit. Others I can think of just had so-so stories like AC2, Eternal Darkness, Bioshock etc.

I'm going to have to put my vote in for:
Final Fantasy X
KOTOR
Indigo Prophecy (got a bit sketchy towards the end)
and...
The Phantasmagoria series will always have a special place in my heart for its transitions from mildly entertaining plot to complete and utter absurdity.

50 Cent: Blood on the sands, HE TOOK MY SKULL... and of course like even Call of Duty game jeez.

Joking aside, the first three Resident Evils, you know, when it was still about zombies and Umbrella. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines comes to mind as well.

My vote goes to the Uncharted series, as well as Heavy Rain. Both were games that I literally could not peel myself away from until I beat them.

Metal gear solid.

It had a better plot, story and characters than most games and movies combined.

id say assasins creed 2 especially the ending that was one big holy shit moment for me as far as this gen of games goes that game did everything right and i have to say the game is the one game that i can say exceeded my expectaions .

id say u2 but i was dissappointed that the yetis werent real and the ending boss fight was shit.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Always liked Suikoden, just a simple fantasy story that doesn't necessarily have you saving the entire world.[/QUOTE]

I can't think of many JRPGs where I can honestly say "that's a good story" but I've enjoyed most of the plots to the Suikoden series.

From reading over this I'm going to have to put:

1. Mass Effect 1
2. Assassins Creed 2
3. Bioshock 1 (and 2)
---Rest are good for a "game" plot----
4. Metal Gear Solid 1
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Heavy Rain
7. Uncharted 1 (and 2)
8. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
9. Shadow of the Colossus
10. inFAMOUS
11. Heavenly Sword

Apparently I like sequels....

KOTOR 2
Baldur's Gate 2
System Shock 2
Gabriel Knight 2
Curse of Money Island (MI 3)
Day of the Tentacle

Could someone spoiler why Assassin's Creed 2 is so great? I thought the 1st one had a lot of criticism over the future plot deal, did AC2 drop it?

Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3
Mass Effect 1 & 2

I also loved the stories for MGS 2 and 4, but I think it takes a certain kind of Metal Gear fandom to get into those.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Could someone spoiler why Assassin's Creed 2 is so great? I thought the 1st one had a lot of criticism over the future plot deal, did AC2 drop it?[/QUOTE]

Nope. It got even more stupid in my opinion.

[quote name='ihadFG']Nope. It got even more stupid in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I thought so too... that revelation at the end was too ridiculous for me.

I know this is kind of a lame choice but.... Final Fantasy VIII. Yeah.

KOTOR 2 is probably one of my other favourites, if it hadn't been rushed it could have been something other than "good for a game". I guess I just love botched endings, though.

Oh and Assassin's Creed 2 was an amazing game, but the plot was awful.

The Ace Attorney series and The Curse of Monkey Island.

In my opinion Adventure games make prime candidates for best plot as they have to rely on telling a good story since the actual gameplay is typically very simple and not all that engaging, thus the story has to make up for it in order for the game to be enjoyable.

I liked FF8's plot too up until the whole sorceress from the future last 2 hours bullshit.

Prince of Persia 08
Assassin's Creed 2 (Ezio's story)
Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3

Add me in for another vote for Red Dead Redemption. Thus far I'm liking the story more than most of the convoluded and asinine garbage I've had the displeasure to play in the last 5 years.:roll:

[quote name='ihadFG']Nope. It got even more stupid in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that part was stupid. I liked Ezio's story, but all the future/memory crap is just silly and unnecessary IMO.

The series would have been better served to just be entirely set in the past and have you playing as those characters--rather than as Desmond who is reliving the memories in the Animus machines etc.

bread's done
Back