Best racing game on xbox

Easy - Forza Motorsport for realistic racing, Burnout Revenge for arcade. PGR2 and Rallisport Challenge 2 are a couple of great ones in between. TOCA and Colin McRae can be found for a steal (I think $9.98 at TRU right now) and are good but lean more toward the realistic side.

Jeremy

[quote name='jrutz']Easy - Forza Motorsport for realistic racing, Burnout Revenge for arcade. PGR2 and Rallisport Challenge 2 are a couple of great ones in between. TOCA and Colin McRae can be found for a steal (I think $9.98 at TRU right now) and are good but lean more toward the realistic side.

Jeremy[/QUOTE]
IAWTP, although I prefer Burnout 3 to Revenge overall.

[quote name='jrutz']Easy - Forza Motorsport for realistic racing, Burnout Revenge for arcade. PGR2 and Rallisport Challenge 2 are a couple of great ones in between. TOCA and Colin McRae can be found for a steal (I think $9.98 at TRU right now) and are good but lean more toward the realistic side.

Jeremy[/QUOTE]

I would pretty much agree with that assesment.

Burnout 3 (Road Rage mode)
Project Gotham (1 & 2)
RalliSport Challenge 2

One overlooked title that I had some fun with was Total Immersion Racing. It has a neat feature where you can drive practice laps on a track with an auto mechanic turned on. The first lap may not feel like the car handles all that well (a bit loose). But, after each lap is complete, you hear the mechanic make a comment about adjusting this or that on the car. The changes made seem to be based on your driving style. On the next lap the car handled better. The auto mechanic makes changes after each lap which dials-in the car. If you are into tuning your own car, you can turn off the auto mechanic and do it yourself too.

If I had to choose just ONE game to play as a driving game, it would be Burnout 3. While it's not a "realistic" racer, we have had the most fun playing that title over any other. There's just something fun about driving around tracks and taking out the competition (for points no less). I would have liked if Burnout Revenge were my choice. But, there were too many bugs and invisible walls/outcroppings/etc. to get caught on that made it less fun to me than Burnout 3.

is the pgr series really as good as everyone says? I kinda want a more realistic game but fun at the same time. I am having trouble deciding between pgr2 and forza I think.

Acutally I think Colin Mcrae Rally looks most interesting to me.

I like Forza a LOT more then PGR. PGR seems like it's not sure what kind of racer it is. It's realistic, but their's no damage (Hit a wall going 200 and you simply turn and lose your Kudos combo). Forza is a total sim, so it's definitely better in my eyes.

Is the LIVE play still pretty active for Burnout 3? That could be an important factor in the 3 vs Revenge debate, if a frequent LIVE user is still sitting on the fence. I feel like there are enough advantages in each game to balance things out, but Live playability may tip the scales.

[quote name='steveinneed']Anyone have any experience with any of the Rally Racing games on the xbox? Like Colin Mcrae and Rallisport Challenge?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Rallisport Challenge 2 is the most arcade-like, but has some really pretty graphics and is great fun to play.

Rallisport Challenge 1 isn't as pretty, obviously since its years older, but it still looks fine....its harder than part 2, I'll say that. Driving is arcadeish, but less forgiving than part 2.

Colin McRae 4 is the one most people seem to own. Its much more sim like. Smaking into walls will damage your car. Its also got real rally races, so if you beat th ehell out of your car in one stretch of a rally, your next stretch could have you driving that same beat-up car before you get a chance to pit for repairs. Its control takes a bit getting used to...it turns a little...weird. Hard to describe, but once you get used it it its alot of fun, but you have to drive carefully. In the Rallisport games you just throw your car around the track.

Also, the graphics in some sections of Colin McRae can flat out suck ....the graphics aren't this games main feature however, its about the more sim like racing.

I would imagine that Colin McRae would benefit the most from buying a $20 madkatz wheel or something...

The Colin McRae games are actually pretty good, especially since they were pretty much budget titles from the start. Depending upon when the next GameStop/EB B2G1/B3G1 free sale occurs, the games could still be as low as $6 to $10 a pop. The prices seem to fluctuate often, but if you have an Edge card or some other Discount card you can't really go wrong. They're actually pretty good games, although I'm not too much of a racing fan myself. I found them to be mostly enjoyable and more realistic than other rally games I've played before.

Certainly worth the money, if you want to acquire a few racing games for the right prices. If you're really lucky you could nail three of them for around $15 during the right sale.

Burnout 3 is like crack only without all the bad side effects. Rallisport 2 is the other racing game that's even come close to holding my attention long enough to unlock most of the cars.

They're about the same........Forza's tracks are usually prettier than GT4's, but car wise and racing wise they're both heavy on accuracy over arcade racing.

I would have to vote Midnight Club III. Has everything. Some sim, good story, stellar online, good wide-ranged soundtrack, smooth arcadey feel, fun free-roam, and even a touch of RPG to it. Just logging into the main menu screens was done with nicely. :)

Are there any decent games similar to Smuggler's Run or Interstate '76 on the Xbox? Something free-roaming and huge. Weapons are optional.

forza motorsport has real tracks like Laguna Seca, Road America,Road Atlanta as well as fictional but still great venues(my favorite being Autumn Valley) If you like realistic racing this is the game to own

[quote name='screwkick']Outrun 2[/QUOTE]

im an old school fan of the outrun series from the sega days.. how is it on the xbox? Music just as good as the original game or better? my xbox came with the Forza disc so from what I have just read its a good racer. I was thinking of PGR2 but now that FORZA is better, I will keep it :)

If all you want to do is crash, go with Burnout 2. The crash junctions in that game are great and require a little more precision than what was in Burnout 3. Burnout 3 had all of those multipliers and it was much too chaotic with all of the explosions. In Burnout 2, with enough practice, you could get the crashes down to a science.

Overall, though, Burnout 3 was a more enjoyable experience in the context of actual racing. And Road Rage mode, well, there's just nothing better than that.

[quote name='jshendel']How does Forza compare to Gran Turismo?[/QUOTE]

It's a simple formula:

Forza = GT - crappy cars - some tracks - rally racing - license tests + streamlined interface + Better AI + online play + customizable paint jobs + better difficulty system/adjuster + custom soundtracks

Basically, it's way better.

Forza doesnt have better AI than GT4 cos GT doesnt have AI. The computer drones drive along their lines regardless of what you do. They cant even see you.

Forza is good, but its a little too slow and realistic imo. GT4 in unrealistic in areas that make it more fun. It depends on what you like. Forza is def a great game, but it can be a little dry at times.

I will second someones recommendation of Outrun 2. I think it kicks ass. It got that super arcadey drift style racing thats challenging enough to keep to racing over and over to try and shave a few hundreds of a second off your best time. The minigames are also fun, and the music is good, with remixed classic outrun tracks and some new ones. There arent too many tracks, but they ones that are there are challenging and lend themselves to replay in an effort to get better.

For $20 new, Outrun 2 is a steal, and one of my fav racing games ever.

For realistic driving I have to give it to Forza.
For arcade driving, I like Burnout 3.

Overall, the driving game I have had the most fun with on my Xbox has to be Burnout 3. Tons of stuff to open out, the gameplay never becomes monotonous, and awesome graphics.

imo, forza is the best racer on the xbox and burnout 3 is a close 2nd. both of those games took a lot of my gaming time when i first bought them. midnight club 3 is fun if you like an arcade racer with a lot of customization.

[quote name='evanft']If you wanna get Outrun 2, wait for the Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast. It's gonna be Outrun 2 with more stuff.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info...i was wondering what the new outrun game would be like

[quote name='swetooth9']thanks for the info...i was wondering what the new outrun game would be like[/QUOTE]

coming for pc, yay! 1280x1024 :)_

[quote name='gaelan']who's getting the new toca?[/quote]

I was thinking about it, the reviews were pretty good and I like that theres soo many different kinds of vehicles you can race. I'll probably pick it up when it hits $20.

[quote name='Puffa469']I was thinking about it, the reviews were pretty good and I like that theres soo many different kinds of vehicles you can race. I'll probably pick it up when it hits $20.[/quote]

I agree. I'll finish Burnout 3 and start on Forza. By that time, I should be ready for TOCA.

bread's done
Back