Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='freshzen']I'm not sending in anything that has a glued on UPC or slightly scratched disc. I would only get credit for 2 of the 7 games I have if I sent them in. Plus I probably wouldn't have the credit by Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

then you have to keep trying bestbuy ... there's nothing else to say.

[quote name='freshzen']I'm not sending in anything that has a glued on UPC or slightly scratched disc. I would only get credit for 2 of the 7 games I have if I sent them in. Plus I probably wouldn't have the credit by Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electro...In/pcmcat133600050011.c?id=pcmcat133600050011

Halfway down the page, you can select your state and it will let you know which other Best Buy's are accepting trade in's in store. Hopefully you can find one that will take the games without a receipt

Well supposedly they try to do the trade in at Best Buy and near the end the system gives an error message and doesn't allow the employees to process the request. I think one guy figured out how to get past this but the manager said not to accept any trade ins.

This might be old news but I searched the forum and didn't this listing. Best Buy is giving $30 store credit or $20 cash money for what they consider to be there "50 most wanted games". Now I could not find this official list but I provided the link to the trade-in estimator. I can confirm $30 for Red Dead and Modern Warfare 2. You have to wait on a check to be mailed if you opt for the cash.

bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm

Since I'm new it won't let me post a link... add www. to the beginning of what's above.

[quote name='kataztrophik']Nice, I live in Boston...should I blame you for Dedham never having penny guides? Just kidding...unless it's true :bomb:

Yeah I just mail mine in. But that's more to receive Paypal instead of a BB Gift Card.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is me. There are still about 10 or so there. I remember leaving Sims 3, MGS, Splinter Cell, etc...

just traded in a game without a hitch. didn't originally buy it from bb either.

if you're gonna trade though, make sure you are sure you're gonna trade. as soon as i walked in the door, they slapped a huge yellow sticker on my game. good luck getting that residue out.

[quote name='confoosious']just traded in a game without a hitch. didn't originally buy it from bb either.

if you're gonna trade though, make sure you are sure you're gonna trade. as soon as i walked in the door, they slapped a huge yellow sticker on my game. good luck getting that residue out.[/QUOTE]

so their pulling a page from gamestop--not good

[quote name='youenvy']so their pulling a page from gamestop--not good[/QUOTE]

no, the yellow sticker is for loss prevention.

it's to seal the case in case you want to walk around the store and steal stuff before you trade in your game(s).

[quote name='confoosious']just traded in a game without a hitch. didn't originally buy it from bb either.

if you're gonna trade though, make sure you are sure you're gonna trade. as soon as i walked in the door, they slapped a huge yellow sticker on my game. good luck getting that residue out.[/QUOTE]

If I knew I could go into Best Buy and trade up MW2 (without having to mail it in as I didn't buy it from BB) I would. I figure they wouldn't go crazy about having to have your original papers from Best Buy, but if you get somebody who wants them and you don't have them = sticky game and no money?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']If I knew I could go into Best Buy and trade up MW2 (without having to mail it in as I didn't buy it from BB) I would. I figure they wouldn't go crazy about having to have your original papers from Best Buy, but if you get somebody who wants them and you don't have them = sticky game and no money?[/QUOTE]

just call ahead and see.

nobody likes a sticky game.

although when i trade in stuff, i always swap in the shittiest game case i have.

[quote name='confoosious']just call ahead and see.

nobody likes a sticky game.

although when i trade in stuff, i always swap in the shittiest game case i have.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I could call ahead and ask if they'll let me come in and trade in...nice idea. It would still suck though if I went in and they said I needed the original papers though. Very possible outcome right there.

In any case, I wonder how much traffic it takes for a game's value to change? As in, how many copies need to be traded in total before a game devalues? Like I know TRU values change relatively often.

Picked up Enslaved during the Kmart COD BO deal, and just checked the TIV. It is 30.00 but my concern it the barcode may not be eligible. Has anyone had problems with games that are exclusive, apparently this barcode supposedly was the enslaved bundle with a comic book (which I did not receive) and the shrink wrap looks like it was done with a shitty machine (not factory). Just curious, thanks.

[quote name='nakanenui']Picked up Enslaved during the Kmart COD BO deal, and just checked the TIV. It is 30.00 but my concern it the barcode may not be eligible. Has anyone had problems with games that are exclusive, apparently this barcode supposedly was the enslaved bundle with a comic book (which I did not receive) and the shrink wrap looks like it was done with a shitty machine (not factory). Just curious, thanks.[/QUOTE]

i just posted about this in the kmart thread. for the 360 i found the regular upc underneath the sticker upc so shouldn't have a problem. the PS3 version is a completely different upc and therefore is YMMV.

Huge yellow sticker? Not at the BB stores by me. They put a pink Best Buy sticker on it with the date on the games I was trading in.

Well I went to Bust Buy to trade in some games.

Wii
Twilight Princess - Why not trade this in. I bought it at launch and beat it shortly thereafter. I haven’t picked it up since. If I can get $30 a few years later I would be dumb not to take it.
Mario Party 8 – I have loved Mario Party games over the years. Crazed button smashing and a fun competitive group type of game. They worked for me on N64 and gamecube but this rehash just didn’t do it for me. $30 is hard to turn down for a game you were never that impressed with.

Xbox360
Fallout 3 GOTY – Beat it and haven’t played it since, the extras are copied to my harddrive so if I get a cheap Fallout 3 disc later I still get the whole package again. $17 isnt bad.
Burnout Revenge – Bought in a auction on ebay with about seven other games. Showed $6 online when I checked the value but it rang up $4 instore.

I have to say it took me about 30 minutes from the moment I walked into the store. Which wasn’t bad I thought, but the process is tedious for the employees. After waiting in the service desk line for about five minutes hoping the clueless girl employee was going to help me I ended up with the help of an employee we’ll call Skip.

Skip was happy to do the trade-in it seemed. He acted disappointed that I was trading in such a great game like Zelda. Skip went on a rant about the history of it being a GameCube port and how the game is so much fun. Skip opened each game and held the disc up in the light looking for scratches. The games were pristine with the exception of Mario Party that had a number of small buffing scratches which Skip didn’t even care about.

Skip then went to the printer and came back with his price quotes. He then re-inspected the first disk to get the holographic serial number off of the disks that is located near the center. After the first disk passed muster he handed me the quotes, Fallout 3 was appraised as just the regular version and not GOTY. It was a $11 difference I think. He had to delete the trade-in and start over. New print outs and re-inspection of all serial numbers and we seemed done.

My drivers license number, me signing the form that says I didn’t steal the games. And then the gift card for $81 was mine. HE handed me the gift card and a sheet that showed what games I traded in. I asked him for a receipt, he asked what for, I said the gift card. He asked me why. I told him because if it doesn’t work then what proof do I have of how much cash was on it. He had no answer other than “gift cards always work”.
I have had a few gift cards over the years that seem to lose value for no reason or were never really activated at the register which leaves you with no backup without a receipt. Skip scanned the card and looked puzzled, no value. He tried to add value two more times and on the third try he handed it back to me and said it was good to go. I asked him again for a receipt so he scanned it and nothing. One more try and I was printed out a receipt that matched the gift card number.

Overall a good system with some gem pricing in the works. If Skip knew how to activate gift cards it would have been flawless. No complaint son some minor scratches and no request or talk of a Best Buy receipt to show I bought the games at Best Buy. They used small pick stickers that Skip pulled off while doing the inspections.
Can’t complain about an $81 best buy gift card right before the holidays.

On a Side note Skip never scanned or checked the barcodes, he just read the titles from the covers of the games, which is how he missed the GOTY edition on Fallout 3 I suppose. I'm not sure if the serial numbers he read will foild an issues people may have with non_matching barcodes

This program makes no sense. I called one store, the closest one, and was told I needed a best buy receipt. I called another, 1 hour away, and they said "no, just bring the games in."

Why the different policy? Ridiculous. However, $30 for Zelda Twilight Princess? Also ridiculous. So far, I've got $195 in bb credit. For what? No @#$3 clue.

Of note, I brought in a hardened edition of MW2 and it didn't matter it had no upc (as I didn't have the box cover). So, at least for this time and place, the upc was irrelevant. Also, they placed a simple pink sticker on it; no giant yellow tag.

Went to trade in MW2 yesterday. I got there, guy put a little pink sticker on it and told me to go over to the Geek Squad counter. After waiting in line for 20 minutes they told me to go to customer service. They gave me my giftcard in five minutes once they finally started the transaction. They asked me if I bough it at Best Buy, but they did NOT require a receipt. It was pretty easy to be honest. Just took a little while longer then expected.

$30 for MW2 though? Solid.

[quote name='ploppsdman']This program makes no sense. I called one store, the closest one, and was told I needed a best buy receipt. I called another, 1 hour away, and they said "no, just bring the games in."

Why the different policy? Ridiculous. However, $30 for Zelda Twilight Princess? Also ridiculous. So far, I've got $195 in bb credit. For what? No @#$3 clue.

Of note, I brought in a hardened edition of MW2 and it didn't matter it had no upc (as I didn't have the box cover). So, at least for this time and place, the upc was irrelevant. Also, they placed a simple pink sticker on it; no giant yellow tag.[/QUOTE]
This most recent time when I took in Red Dead Redemption and Dead Rising 2 to trade in, they didn't even bother trying to put a sticker on the bag or the games. As I've said before, if BB wants to be on a competitive level with GS they're going to need to do two things. The first being have their trade-in process be as universal as possible across the entire chain and the second being having people trained to do the trade-ins in an expedited manner so it doesn't take 20 minutes per transaction.

If they can do that, then maybe they can be the company to actually compete with GS on a similar level.

Ok, so my store now sells used games as well (full endcap)...does anyone know if they sell the games that particular store trades in, or do they get sent out to a warehouse & the distribute them from there?

I tried to trade in my 2 copies of Enslaved today unsuccessfully. BB guy said the pc wouldn't stay connected to the internet, and the STAR? program had to be installed on the trade in terminal. Whatever....My girlfriend stood by rolling her eyes the whole time (approx 15 minutes) while the guy tried multiple times on different machines. Basically the response was "sorry, come back another day." I just want to be sure I get 30 credit for each....

PS: hard to look cool hanging out at the Geek Squad counter with two games with a shirtless muscle dude on the cover;-)

[quote name='egofed']I tried to trade in my 2 copies of Enslaved today unsuccessfully. BB guy said the pc wouldn't stay connected to the internet, and the STAR? program had to be installed on the trade in terminal. Whatever....My girlfriend stood by rolling her eyes the whole time (approx 15 minutes) while the guy tried multiple times on different machines. Basically the response was "sorry, come back another day." I just want to be sure I get 30 credit for each....

PS: hard to look cool hanging out at the Geek Squad counter with two games with a shirtless muscle dude on the cover;-)[/QUOTE]

I've been married five years now and I'm still stupid enough to drag my wife to Best Buy for PM/Price fixing/trade-in/anything. I know the rolling eyes things pretty well at this point.

The next phase is the "You know how much of my life I've wasted doing this?"

[quote name='egofed']I tried to trade in my 2 copies of Enslaved today unsuccessfully. BB guy said the pc wouldn't stay connected to the internet, and the STAR? program had to be installed on the trade in terminal. Whatever....My girlfriend stood by rolling her eyes the whole time (approx 15 minutes) while the guy tried multiple times on different machines. Basically the response was "sorry, come back another day." I just want to be sure I get 30 credit for each....

PS: hard to look cool hanging out at the Geek Squad counter with two games with a shirtless muscle dude on the cover;-)[/QUOTE]
[quote name='MrNEWZ']I've been married five years now and I'm still stupid enough to drag my wife to Best Buy for PM/Price fixing/trade-in/anything. I know the rolling eyes things pretty well at this point.

The next phase is the "You know how much of my life I've wasted doing this?"[/QUOTE]
And this is why you try to find a female gamer for a gf/wife. I've had the non gamer gf's before and as soon as one of them called my choice of hobby stupid or kiddy but their favorite hobby wasn't I told em to get bent.

As far as a tradein question goes, I went in store and traded in 2 mw2 and 1 hardened edition of mw2 ... does that mean I can still send in 1 mw2? I would think so, but does anyone know for certain?

My girl helps me with my flips/etc. She cuts/pastes the UPS labels and helped me grab 3copies of free games when bestbuy was doin free gamers club coupon games.
It does get expensive tho, I just had to get her a ps3 for herself and now she wants a new hd t.v. oh my. lol peace cags

oh yeah and i got lucky and had 2 enslaved copies tiv locked in at 32 when amazon had that 25 each deal. woot 14 free dollars. lol

[quote name='Velo214']My girl helps me with my flips/etc. She cuts/pastes the UPS labels and helped me grab 3copies of free games when bestbuy was doin free gamers club coupon games.
It does get expensive tho, I just had to get her a ps3 for herself and now she wants a new hd t.v. oh my. lol peace cags

oh yeah and i got lucky and had 2 enslaved copies tiv locked in at 32 when amazon had that 25 each deal. woot 14 free dollars. lol[/QUOTE]

DUDE WHAT THE fuck!?!?!? That's really dirty man. Hope you get caught one day and banned from BB.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Thanks god locked my mw2 for $30.00 yesterday, guess i need to mail it in now, I can either do ups or usps, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='Velo214']My girl helps me with my flips/etc. She cuts/pastes the UPS labels and helped me grab 3copies of free games when bestbuy was doin free gamers club coupon games.

oh yeah and i got lucky and had 2 enslaved copies tiv locked in at 32 when amazon had that 25 each deal. woot 14 free dollars. lol[/QUOTE]
I was tempted to use my B2G1 coupon from Gamestop and lock in three copies of DJ Hero for $20-30 a pop at BB when they were trading that high(down to $13 a copy now:bomb:), but every copy at my local GS had the 'not for resale' thing on it and no actual barcode. So it was either I was going to have to print up and tape on UPC's for those copies or hope they didn't notice they had no real barcode when I was trading them in.
[quote name='ITDEFX']DUDE WHAT THE fuck!?!?!? That's really dirty man. Hope you get caught one day and banned from BB.[/QUOTE]
They said the UPS labels, which means the shipping labels for the mail-in packages for BB.

got my email few days ago from DT saying they got my order :)

they seem to be a lot faster after the whole super monkey ball (if anyone remembers that) fiasco.

[quote name='david12795']got my email few days ago from DT saying they got my order :)

they seem to be a lot faster after the whole super monkey ball (if anyone remembers that) fiasco.[/QUOTE]

Can you refresh my memory on that?

[quote name='Xellos2099']Can you refresh my memory on that?[/QUOTE]

Super Monkey Ball Step and Roll was couponed down at Best Buy to $10 (I think?). Then, EzTradeIn was offering $20 (Again, I think) for the game. Basically, people epically hoarded these and mailed them.

The other great "Fiasco" was with LittleBigPlanet, when that price dropped to $20 at GameStop and the EzTradeIn value was $30. After coupons stacking you could get LBP down to about $15 a piece, making it a favorite 2:1 flip ;)

Finally, my best flip that almost no one caught onto was Planet 51 (Wii) from a GoGamer.com daily deal. They got marked down to $10, while the TIV at EzTradeIn was $20. Needless to say, I bought a box full ;)

[quote name='kataztrophik']Nice, I live in Boston...should I blame you for Dedham never having penny guides? Just kidding...unless it's true :bomb:

Yeah I just mail mine in. But that's more to receive Paypal instead of a BB Gift Card.[/QUOTE]

How are you getting Paypal? I don't see Video Games as a trade-in option on the ebay site.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Super Monkey Ball Step and Roll was couponed down at Best Buy to $10 (I think?). Then, EzTradeIn was offering $20 (Again, I think) for the game. Basically, people epically hoarded these and mailed them.

The other great "Fiasco" was with LittleBigPlanet, when that price dropped to $20 at GameStop and the EzTradeIn value was $30. After coupons stacking you could get LBP down to about $15 a piece, making it a favorite 2:1 flip ;)

Finally, my best flip that almost no one caught onto was Planet 51 (Wii) from a GoGamer.com daily deal. They got marked down to $10, while the TIV at EzTradeIn was $20. Needless to say, I bought a box full ;)[/QUOTE]

I remember getting Fairy Tales for free at best buy amd mail it in dealtree for $10 GC.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Super Monkey Ball Step and Roll was couponed down at Best Buy to $10 (I think?). Then, EzTradeIn was offering $20 (Again, I think) for the game. Basically, people epically hoarded these and mailed them.

Finally, my best flip that almost no one caught onto was Planet 51 (Wii) from a GoGamer.com daily deal. They got marked down to $10, while the TIV at EzTradeIn was $20. Needless to say, I bought a box full ;)[/QUOTE]
Actually I believe SMB was one of the free games like SBD and FTF.;)

I didn't go nuts with that one, though I think that was cuz it was in limited supply at both BB stores around here.:cry:

I locked in the TIV for the original LBP for $30 at DT while ordering a GOTY edition from GS' website for $17 and change after $10 off promo code. It even shipped FREE with SAVER somehow.;)

yeah my worst/best was 10x LBP. 150->300 woot. and then i got the goty edition ;)
i loved those freebies, especially the nerf one cuz i let my kids play with the darts all day, lol. peace

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually I believe SMB was one of the free games like SBD and FTF.;)

I didn't go nuts with that one, though I think that was cuz it was in limited supply at both BB stores around here.:cry:

I locked in the TIV for the original LBP for $30 at DT while ordering a GOTY edition from GS' website for $17 and change after $10 off promo code. It even shipped FREE with SAVER somehow.;)[/QUOTE]
No, SMB was definitely $10 after the coupon, I grabbed a couple at that price. During the coupon period it originally traded in for $20, but it jumped up to $25 halfway through as part of a promotion.

[quote name='Disneyboy']No, SMB was definitely $10 after the coupon, I grabbed a couple at that price. During the coupon period it originally traded in for $20, but it jumped up to $25 halfway through as part of a promotion.[/QUOTE]
Ahh yes. I remember that one now. I remember groaning when my three copies were already sent in for $20 apiece and they jumped up to $25, thus I lost out on $15 in credit from not waitnig.

Of course I think I bought them using credit from other games I got cheap, so it didn't matter THAT much to me.;)

I have a bunch of store credit from bestbuy, won from a survey, PM if you have new releases

I'll might give slightly more depending on the condition

Can someone translate. Here's what I asked:
I traded instore 2 copies of Modern Warfare 2, and 1 copy of Modern Warfare 2 Hardened edition (all xbox 360). Does that mean I can still trade in 1 copy of Modern Warfare 2 through the mail to you guys, since one of the games was the "Hardened" edition?Thanks ..

This is there reply:
Thank you for contacting us. You can only send in 3 of the same title under your account. You may do so with this game that you mentioned. If there is anything else we can help you with pleas let us know!
-----------
I think this means I can ... but it would be far easier if they just wrote "Yes, you can still send in one more copy of the standard Modern Warfare 2." But it also reads as if they are just repeating the policy of 3 copies only.

God... FTF, SBD and Nerf were crazy for me... I STILL have credit from that shit laying around... and that's after a PS3, a Plasma TV, 250 GB HD for my 360 and a shit ton of games...

Good days, indeed :)

Has anybody mailed anything to DealTree lately? If so, how many days after receiving your trade, before they acknowledge receipt of your items?

The reason I ask is they received a couple packages from me 8 days ago, and I have yet to have them acknowledge receipt of items.

bread's done
Back