Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='twinton']Has anybody mailed anything to DealTree lately? If so, how many days after receiving your trade, before they acknowledge receipt of your items?

The reason I ask is they received a couple packages from me 8 days ago, and I have yet to have them acknowledge receipt of items.[/QUOTE]

Same here, a package was received 4 days ago and has not yet been received.

[quote name='stoned99']Same here, a package was received 4 days ago and has not yet been received.[/QUOTE]

Not good...but at least kind of good it's not happening to just 1 person. Probably just them being their usual slow self.

I don't recall the stages, but when I traded some games in in mid-oct, it took 11 days to be verified, and 3 weeks total to receive the cards. They are always slooooooow. Just relax and get annoyed if it's been a month and nothings happened.

I traded something in several weeks back (when it seemed no one else was sending stuff there) and they acknowledging it fairly quickly, for them - like 3-4 days. But yeah, a week or so seems more normal for them.

[quote name='ploppsdman']Can someone translate. Here's what I asked:
I traded instore 2 copies of Modern Warfare 2, and 1 copy of Modern Warfare 2 Hardened edition (all xbox 360). Does that mean I can still trade in 1 copy of Modern Warfare 2 through the mail to you guys, since one of the games was the "Hardened" edition?Thanks ..

This is there reply:
Thank you for contacting us. You can only send in 3 of the same title under your account. You may do so with this game that you mentioned. If there is anything else we can help you with pleas let us know!
-----------
I think this means I can ... but it would be far easier if they just wrote "Yes, you can still send in one more copy of the standard Modern Warfare 2." But it also reads as if they are just repeating the policy of 3 copies only.[/QUOTE]

I think they are just mindlessly repeating. I'd think you would be able to send 3 of each UPC, but then again who knows. That is definitely the way it would work at Amazon. But then their system simply locks you out from submitting trades after 3. So there's none of this sending them in and then being turned down (due to quantity) BS that Dealtree claims they will do.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']God... FTF, SBD and Nerf were crazy for me... I STILL have credit from that shit laying around... and that's after a PS3, a Plasma TV, 250 GB HD for my 360 and a shit ton of games...

Good days, indeed :)[/QUOTE]

I hate you all. I was in Disneyland during the Nerf deal and missed it entirely. I got to read all about it on my iPhone though ;).

[quote name='twinton']Has anybody mailed anything to DealTree lately? If so, how many days after receiving your trade, before they acknowledge receipt of your items?

The reason I ask is they received a couple packages from me 8 days ago, and I have yet to have them acknowledge receipt of items.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='stoned99']Same here, a package was received 4 days ago and has not yet been received.[/QUOTE]
People are STILL mailing stuff to DealTree, even though there's a shitton of BB stores taking in the trades at the Geek Squad/returns counter now?

I can understand if you're using the long dead Paypal link to get CASH for the games for mailing them, but why not just go into BB's website and look and see if a store near you is taking trades at store level if you're only taking credit?

It may take upwards of 30 minutes since many cashiers don't seem to be trained on how to take in trades, but when the choice is either 30 minutes 'wasted' or 2 weeks to a month waiting for stuff to be received and then another 2 weeks or so to get the cards I'd take the store route any day.

That is, unless your local stores are some of the ones doing the 'you need a receipt that shows you bought it at BB' dealie.:cry::bomb:

Well, I had a quote for MW 2 for 30 dollar from online but when i decide to trade it in store the next day it drop to 10... of course I am going to mail it in.

personally id rather just throw all my games in one box and ship it off to DT since i prefer cash and i do end up using the cash at BB, then more power to me. i wont have to worry about how much little x amount of credit i have left.

but thats just me.

also, finally received my payment from DT after a week of waiting. :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']People are STILL mailing stuff to DealTree, even though there's a shitton of BB stores taking in the trades at the Geek Squad/returns counter now?

I can understand if you're using the long dead Paypal link to get CASH for the games for mailing them, but why not just go into BB's website and look and see if a store near you is taking trades at store level if you're only taking credit?

It may take upwards of 30 minutes since many cashiers don't seem to be trained on how to take in trades, but when the choice is either 30 minutes 'wasted' or 2 weeks to a month waiting for stuff to be received and then another 2 weeks or so to get the cards I'd take the store route any day.

That is, unless your local stores are some of the ones doing the 'you need a receipt that shows you bought it at BB' dealie.:cry::bomb:[/QUOTE]In my case, because I estimated the item I traded in as poor, and it said I was welcome to take it in to the local best buy to receive the gift card instantly. Then, when I got there, and waited 25 minutes for a geek squad guy to come look at it, he refused to touch it because it wasn't in like new condition. I talked to 888 BEST BUY, and they apologized that the instructions on the trade in site don't match what the store does, in practice, but told me that it is up to each store's manager's discretion as to what they'll take in. Even if it's in writing and clearly states they will take it in, they can say no. I had the receipt from when I purchased it at best buy, too.

I'm mailing a few things in only because I locked the trade-in value and I still have 20+ days to mail it .. so I'm getting stuff off goozex (modern warfare 2 is 600 pts, not bad for $30).

[quote name='Maskim']In my case, because I estimated the item I traded in as poor, and it said I was welcome to take it in to the local best buy to receive the gift card instantly. Then, when I got there, and waited 25 minutes for a geek squad guy to come look at it, he refused to touch it because it wasn't in like new condition. I talked to 888 BEST BUY, and they apologized that the instructions on the trade in site don't match what the store does, in practice, but told me that it is up to each store's manager's discretion as to what they'll take in. Even if it's in writing and clearly states they will take it in, they can say no. I had the receipt from when I purchased it at best buy, too.[/QUOTE]
What exactly was it that they wouldn't touch? I mean, I can understand with some stuff(computers, for example, since the keyboards/mice can get pretty nasty with regular use)as to why folks wouldn't want to touch it if it didn't look like it was in good condition.

As for waiting 25 minutes, was the store busy? If so, that's NOT a long time by BB(and most retail standards) and if the store was busy I certainly hope you didn't expect the employees to pass over everyone else just to wait on you. :whistle2:#

Moreover, there may be laws regulating what they can and cannot take in at your local stores and rules they have to follow(such as the receipt rule being enforced at some stores now:roll:) when taking in trades.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What exactly was it that they wouldn't touch? I mean, I can understand with some stuff(computers, for example, since the keyboards/mice can get pretty nasty with regular use)as to why folks wouldn't want to touch it if it didn't look like it was in good condition.

As for waiting 25 minutes, was the store busy? If so, that's NOT a long time by BB(and most retail standards) and if the store was busy I certainly hope you didn't expect the employees to pass over everyone else just to wait on you. :whistle2:#

Moreover, there may be laws regulating what they can and cannot take in at your local stores and rules they have to follow(such as the receipt rule being enforced at some stores now:roll:) when taking in trades.[/QUOTE]
The store was not busy. Customer service, apparently, just never bothered telling any body I was there, so they were all behind their geek squad curtain, while the CS person I had talked to kept telling me they'd be out to help me as soon as they were able.

As for the item, it's a laptop with a cracked screen. I don't mean they literally wouldn't touch it, as it was cleaned, and worked great, aside from the cracked portion of the screen. The only reason they wouldn't take it is the computer screen in store popped up with criteria that is clearly different than what is listed on their site.

When I spoke with someone at the toll free number, they told me to mail it, and that if I had any more problems to call back and they would make it right via reward zone points. I'm not worried about the transaction at all, just stating my reason for mailing something in, as it's something I had tried to avoid, but could not.

[quote name='Maskim']The store was not busy. Customer service, apparently, just never bothered telling any body I was there, so they were all behind their geek squad curtain, while the CS person I had talked to kept telling me they'd be out to help me as soon as they were able.

As for the item, it's a laptop with a cracked screen. I don't mean they literally wouldn't touch it, as it was cleaned, and worked great, aside from the cracked portion of the screen. The only reason they wouldn't take it is the computer screen in store popped up with criteria that is clearly different than what is listed on their site.

When I spoke with someone at the toll free number, they told me to mail it, and that if I had any more problems to call back and they would make it right via reward zone points. I'm not worried about the transaction at all, just stating my reason for mailing something in, as it's something I had tried to avoid, but could not.[/QUOTE]
People in retail tend to do that A LOT(hide when customers want help), but some times they're up your ass from the word go when you just wanna 'browse'.:roll: It's those days I'd love to just reach out and smack someone.:lol:

If I need your help, I'll call you. Thanks. Now go back to badmouthing your managers with your co-workers in a corner of the store.

Quick Question. If I got a quoted price of $30 for MW2(360) and $30 for SSMB(Wii) and the trade in value drops the next day. Would I receive the $30 or the new value for my games?

[quote name='EV36']Quick Question. If I got a quoted price of $30 for MW2(360) and $30 for SSMB(Wii) and the trade in value drops the next day. Would I receive the $30 or the new value for my games?[/QUOTE]
If you locked in(aka went all the way through the online trade-in process up to and including printing out a pre-paid shipping label) the values, then you would get the old values.

Do they send you an email when your games status changes? I sent mine on 11-14, it was delivered to them on 11-18 (according to UPS tracking) and it still says "Waiting to Receive".

[quote name='pixelpushr']Do they send you an email when your games status changes? I sent mine on 11-14, it was delivered to them on 11-18 (according to UPS tracking) and it still says "Waiting to Receive".[/QUOTE]

for me they did, gives me a "verified" email.

I went to Best Buy to trade-in Medal of Honor (PS3) for $25 today. The Customer Service Rep was clueless on what to do and so were here co workers. After a half hour of trying in vain they told me to come back another day.

[quote name='paulwekiva']Best Buy advertised in their circular for this week (1/2-1/8) "Get a $50 Best Buy gift card when you trade in 2 of over 50+ select titles". Some titles trade in at over $25 and though most are new titles, there are a couple of older titles in the list.

Here's a link to the specific list: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/All+Entertainment+Offers/null/pcmcat222900050005.c?id=pcmcat222900050005

Hope that helps someone![/QUOTE]

Thanks bro. Going to pay my metro bill via flips this time

For this week's flyer....
Is this a BONUS $50 gift card to go along with the trade in value?
(example: $27 credit for Fallout: NV + $25 credit for Dead Rising 2 PLUS A $50 GIFT CARD?)
Or are they just saying to trade in any two for $50?

[quote name='Roethlisberger']For this week's flyer....
Is this a BONUS $50 gift card to go along with the trade in value?
(example: $27 credit for Fallout: NV + $25 credit for Dead Rising 2 PLUS A $50 GIFT CARD?)
Or are they just saying to trade in any two for $50?[/QUOTE]

its pretty clear bro
trade in 2 of those games and get their listed value and a 50$ giftcard
if it doesnt work this way then huff and puff and knock some magazine racks over and yell at the manager and file a complaint with bbb and call bb corporate

lol i doubt it guys im pretty sure the ad just means that any 2 of those games combined would be worth a 50 dollar gift card.

[quote name='bredbu']lol i doubt it guys im pretty sure the ad just means that any 2 of those games combined would be worth a 50 dollar gift card.[/QUOTE]
Bingo. Tried earlier today at my local BB and got shot down.

[quote name='steve nash']its pretty clear bro
if it doesnt work this way then huff and puff and knock some magazine racks over and yell at the manager and file a complaint with bbb and call bb corporate[/QUOTE]

It says nothing like that at all, nor is it implied...

I think its just values that would equal about $50 in GC maybe more depending on the game. 2 AC Brotherhood should get you $60 in GC. Im thinking about trading in one game.

question.......if it says "electronics recycling" under the store services on the store locater page.......that means they are taking video games at that specific store right?????

[IMG-L=5806]20103[/IMG-L]

[quote name='steve nash']its pretty clear bro
if it doesnt work this way then huff and puff and knock some magazine racks over and yell at the manager and file a complaint with bbb and call bb corporate[/QUOTE]

this is sarcasm right?

really tho is BB really going to give someone almost full value for there old games???

medal of honor $25
halo reach $25
plus $50 gift card

thats $100......which would of cost $120 or so if you bought them full price...

[quote name='aleraiders']really tho is BB really going to give someone almost full value for there old games???

medal of honor $25
halo reach $25
plus $50 gift card

thats $100......which would of cost $120 or so if you bought them full price...[/QUOTE]

No. They aren't. You get the value of the games on a gift card. You get no kind of bonus gift card at all. The ad clearly stated that you could trade in two games on the list that were worth $25 each and get a $50 gift card total. It is simple math.

time to trade in my old games, seen 4 games that I dont play no more just in time for DCUO + 3 month subs

for people wondering you dont need to trade in 2 games you can trade in 1 game and still get the $25 gift card, traded 3 games all came out $25 for 2 and 1 was $26...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it normal for UPS to not have any updates for nearly a week? I send some games with the dual UPS USPS label that they generated and dropped it off at an authorized UPS shipping store last week but has not seen any tracking updates at all. If this is not normal, what should I do now?

thanks for the link, i thought hat they simply stopped trading games... hmmm, would using this link get me in trouble with them? That is, would they still accept the trade?

[quote name='Xellos2099']Would they give me problem if I try to trade in 3 games of the same title?[/QUOTE]

Would you be able to read their policy on their website?

[quote name='Xellos2099']Well, their online policy say only 3 title of the same game per year, not sure about retail store.[/QUOTE]
And why would it be different?

bread's done
Back