Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive gotten emails saying they have received my games and that a gift card would be sent to my house but its been about 8 days and no gift card wtf!!!!!

Had mine verified on 5/4 and still awaiting a GC so its a slow process for sure when it involves a Best Buy gift card.

Update: Ironically I just received emails regarding gift cards being issued, 5/14. So probably will see them in a week. Overall it would be about a month long process.

operation flashpiont dragon rising is 12.99 on gamefly it trades in for 20, and wolfenstien ps3 is 14.99 trades in for 20, white knight chronicles is 19.99 trades in for 30. you got to pay tax and shipping though but it is a way to earn some money/credit

yeah the shipping killed it for me. I locked in 3 white knights for 90 tiv and was wanting to buy 3 for $60 but it comes to 70 w tax/shipping. I dont really want to wait a month for $20 and I dont want to keep one of the white knights for $10 expense so Im gonna sit this one out.

Just sent in 6 games, figured I would trade them in and get a BB gift card rather than have them sit in my trade list/Goozex list forever.

Thanks OP for the info, I would have never thought to do this.

so how long before u have to send in games after u lock the price in? i have 2 odsts but i cant send them out yet since i let my cousins borrow them for the reach beta

[quote name='Nelo Ice']so how long before u have to send in games after u lock the price in? i have 2 odsts but i cant send them out yet since i let my cousins borrow them for the reach beta[/QUOTE]
I believe people have said it's 30 days, so hopefully they get done with those copies long before then and hopefully they're gentle with the copies as well since I think DT/BB are real sticklers on condition.

I read the TOS, apparently once you submit the game, it's locked for 30 days. After that, they have the right to deteriorate the value if you haven't sent them the game.

I just thought I'd share my experience.. I just got my games verified on the 14th and had absolutely no problems. I locked in the values of 6 copies of AC II on PS3 on April 16th, sent them out on the 12th, and had them verified for full value on the 14th. Now I just have to wait for my cards.

Used the ebay EZTradeIn thing.

Sent my Beatles Rock Band games like 2 and half weeks later, they were approved within the week, and in 7 days should have a payment via Paypal.

finally got my first giftcard.

verified 5/5
payment sent 5/14
received 5/17

my next set seems to be moving along quite a bit faster than my first submission.

Do the UPC's of the games you send in have to match up with the ones on the site? Also, is it okay to send in platinum hits instead of the regular games?

Hey go grab some WKC's from GF, 17.99 free shipping. Trades in for $30. Lock those estimates in boys :) 3 goes $56->$90 so that's not too bad :) yow

Took just a few days shy of a month but I got my BB gift card today. Glad I got in on it when it started because game values have dropped. I looked at the back of my gift card and it says in small print there is no expiration date.

Traded in:
Little Big Planet $30
Uncharted 2 $30
Fracture $5
Viva Pinata $6
God of War Chains of Olympus $7
Super Smash Bros Melee $6

Total $84

[quote name='Mmon319']Do the UPC's of the games you send in have to match up with the ones on the site? Also, is it okay to send in platinum hits instead of the regular games?[/QUOTE]

I had the Best Buy exclusive version of Nascar 09 which had a different UPC than what they had on the site - and they still accepted it.

Had no problems with my first trade in. Was a bit slow, but I was well aware that I wasn't getting a gift card in a week based on all the help posted in this thread. All the trade values had dropped after I had locked in, but the original value was honored.

If you are getting a gift card, just make sure you carefully check your mail. Mine came in a plain white envelope from a PO box in Mankato, MN. You could very easily mistake it for junk and toss it out.

got 160 bucks worth of stuff at the blockbuster b1g1 deal today trades in for 300 check out your blockbuster for some flips

[quote name='bredbu']got 160 bucks worth of stuff at the blockbuster b1g1 deal today trades in for 300 check out your blockbuster for some flips[/QUOTE]

So we all like a good treasure hunt, but can you at least mention the flippable items. The ones I know of are Beatles Rockband (wii/ps3), Dark Void, Guitar Hero 5, Mario & Sonic @ the Olympics

yup and toy story mania and cars race o rama i also got gow / army of 2 2 for 40 together they trade in for 30 a piece

blockbuster is having a wierd ymmv sale where lots of blockbuster have 50 percent off all games both my blockbusters did but some people are reporting they are only getting buy 1 get 1 50% off . see the bb thread for more info

what i bought was
god of war 3
army of 2 40th day
dark void x2
beatles rock band wii x4
beatles rock band ps3
left 4 dead 2 which was not actually that good of a deal 29.99 for 2 trades in for 20 a piece
and 3 toy story manias

[quote name='bredbu']yup and toy story mania and cars race o rama i also got gow / army of 2 2 for 40 together they trade in for 30 a piece

blockbuster is having a wierd ymmv sale where lots of blockbuster have 50 percent off all games both my blockbusters did but some people are reporting they are only getting buy 1 get 1 50% off . see the bb thread for more info

what i bought was
god of war 3
army of 2 40th day
dark void x2
beatles rock band wii x4
beatles rock band ps3
left 4 dead 2 which was not actually that good of a deal 29.99 for 2 trades in for 20 a piece
and 3 toy story manias[/QUOTE]

So any reason you choose BestBuy over eztradein, as BB is a giftcard and eztradein posts to your paypal account.

Does anyone know if they are okay with sticking multiple trade in transactions in one box? I submitted an order last week and just bought a game that I would like to trade in as well. It wouldn't make much sense to ship them separately.

[quote name='bredbu']i would ship them seperatly to be safe,

and i am doing it for paypal credit i hardly ever buy anything at best buy[/QUOTE]

Ahh!! I was confused because this is the BestBuy thread not the BBV thread, so I had assumed you were trading games bought @ BBV 2 BB due to the location of the post.

yea i was just letting people know if they go to bbv i forgot the v they can get some good flips from ez trade in, my bad

So is everybody still getting full quoted value even though the TIV's have dropped?

I have a $20 quoted value of The Saboteur to send in, but the TIV value has now dropped to $9 and I don't want to pay return shipping costs if they don't honor their original quote.

[quote name='sassylaurie']So is everybody still getting full quoted value even though the TIV's have dropped?

I have a $20 quoted value of The Saboteur to send in, but the TIV value has now dropped to $9 and I don't want to pay return shipping costs if they don't honor their original quote.[/QUOTE]

So long as it reaches them in time before the 30 days are up, you should still get the full quoted TIV. They've held to it so far so I don't see why that would be any different now. I definitely wouldn't push it though; you should allow enough time for it to be delivered AND verified within the 30 days (maybe someone else could comment on this from their experience). I think it takes them about 2-3 business days to verify upon delivery.

As for my trade-ins, I'm still waiting on my paypal payment for eztradein. It's been 7 days since mine were verified and I shot off an email to their support. Their response says I should get my money by E.O.D. so I'll be eagerly waiting for that.

Edit: I got my paypal payment after only half an hour from my email. Great service!

[quote name='major morgan']So long as it reaches them in time before the 30 days are up, you should still get the full quoted TIV. They've held to it so far so I don't see why that would be any different now. I definitely wouldn't push it though; you should allow enough time for it to be delivered AND verified within the 30 days (maybe someone else could comment on this from their experience). I think it takes them about 2-3 business days to verify upon delivery.

As for my trade-ins, I'm still waiting on my paypal payment for eztradein. It's been 7 days since mine were verified and I shot off an email to their support. Their response says I should get my money by E.O.D. so I'll be eagerly waiting for that.

Edit: I got my paypal payment after only half an hour from my email. Great service![/QUOTE]

Major, I traded some games in through eBay eztradein as well. They were verified on 5/13, and I'm just waiting for the payment now. Since you received your paypal payment, I was wondering if there were any fees that paypal took out? I know that you when I've sold stuff on eBay, they take like 8% of the payment or something, and that would suck hard if that was the case for their trade-ins...

[quote name='YEEAHHBOYYY']Major, I traded some games in through eBay eztradein as well. They were verified on 5/13, and I'm just waiting for the payment now. Since you received your paypal payment, I was wondering if there were any fees that paypal took out? I know that you when I've sold stuff on eBay, they take like 8% of the payment or something, and that would suck hard if that was the case for their trade-ins...[/QUOTE]

Fees? None. Zero. Zilch. Nada! You keep every single cent they send you!:bouncy:

It makes everything much more worth it. Not only can you make a profit by flipping, but you don't lose any of it to PP fees.

I cashed out a bunch of my GS credit already, but I may just go ahead and convert it all to cash now since I can make a tiny bit of profit on it in the process.

[quote name='major morgan']Fees? None. Zero. Zilch. Nada! You keep every single cent they send you!:bouncy:

It makes everything much more worth it. Not only can you make a profit by flipping, but you don't lose any of it to PP fees.

I cashed out a bunch of my GS credit already, but I may just go ahead and convert it all to cash now since I can make a tiny bit of profit on it in the process.[/QUOTE]

Dude, that's fantastic. I was pretty anxious about receiving the payment, as I have been expecting the worst, but if there's no fees, then I have nothing to worry about! I might even go out and take advantage of the B1G1 50% off today then; it's hard to beat some of the prices that eztradein is giving. :D

[quote name='major morgan']

Edit: I got my paypal payment after only half an hour from my email. Great service![/QUOTE]

I think it might have just been coincidence - I actually got 8 payments (from 4 different submissions) right around the time you posted this. Unless your email spurred them pay all their "overdue" payments - if that is the case, thanks!

Here are my timings:

#1 - mailed 5/5, received 5/10, verified 5/12, paid 5/19
#2 - mailed 5/5, received 5/10, verified 5/13, paid 5/19
#3 - mailed 5/10, received ??, verified 5/15, paid 5/19
#4 - mailed 5/11, received 5/14, NEVER verified, paid 5/19

So, yeah, that last one is strange as they never sent verification for it. I didn't miss it because I actually printed my account listings last night so I could make sure I was on top of all my submissions - it still showed "waiting to receive" as of late last night. But this morning it got paid along with the others - very odd... Right now it shows the "verified" date as being 5/19 - so they verified it and paid it the same day on that one.

What I'm worried about is this one:

- submitted 4/18, mailed 5/7, delivered 5/17...

It was a 3-game trade so I got a stupid parcel post label instead of a first-class mail label. Then it spent time getting sorted in Baltimore like 3 times before it was delivered :roll:. So they got it just under the 30 days - now we'll see if the extra time they take to "verify" it means I lose out on the value. The game dropped from $20 to $9 a while back - and I sent 3 of them.

[quote name='io']I think it might have just been coincidence - I actually got 8 payments (from 4 different submissions) right around the time you posted this. Unless your email spurred them pay all their "overdue" payments - if that is the case, thanks![/QUOTE]

Yea it may be just a coincidence, but you're welcome in either case.

[quote name='io']
What I'm worried about is this one:

- submitted 4/18, mailed 5/7, delivered 5/17...

It was a 3-game trade so I got a stupid parcel post label instead of a first-class mail label. Then it spent time getting sorted in Baltimore like 3 times before it was delivered :roll:. So they got it just under the 30 days - now we'll see if the extra time they take to "verify" it means I lose out on the value. The game dropped from $20 to $9 a while back - and I sent 3 of them.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's what I was unsure of when I responded to sassylaurie. While they did receive yours in under 30 days, I haven't seen any answer on whether it has to be verified in 30 days or merely received to still get full value. Hopefully it's the latter so you get what you were expecting.

Question: Is the only way to get a first-class postage is to submit trades in increments of 2? My completed trade was a box of 12, but I'm not sure if I want to "put all my eggs in one basket" again. The box also takes longer to get there since I'm shipping from CA.

[quote name='major morgan']
Question: Is the only way to get a first-class postage is to submit trades in increments of 2? My completed trade was a box of 12, but I'm not sure if I want to "put all my eggs in one basket" again. The box also takes longer to get there since I'm shipping from CA.[/QUOTE]

Since I'm also shipping from the West Coast and don't want to have another 10-day delivery time like that 3-game Parcel Post package I have been submitting all of mine in 2-game increments. That is definitely the cutoff between first-class and parcel post. It is also fairly easy to put two games into some plastic bubble mailers I picked up cheap a while back (around 15 cents each). Anything 3 and over and I have to find a box, anyway. I did do one 4-game trade just to mix it up, but I'll be sending those in soon so it has plenty of time to get there.

Also, beware - I had one submitted trade that came up with a UPS label. The problem is, it said it was a "customer paid" label and that the UPS clerk should collect fees upon dropoff! WTF!? I resubmitted the same trades the next day and got a regular prepaid USPS first-class label. I don't know what happened that one time but you might want to check if you aren't in the habit of printing the labels right when you submit. I notmally do that, but I was putting in about 10 games and didn't want to print them all right away so I didn't even notice the UPS label.

[quote name='io']Since I'm also shipping from the West Coast and don't want to have another 10-day delivery time like that 3-game Parcel Post package I have been submitting all of mine in 2-game increments. That is definitely the cutoff between first-class and parcel post. It is also fairly easy to put two games into some plastic bubble mailers I picked up cheap a while back (around 15 cents each). Anything 3 and over and I have to find a box, anyway. I did do one 4-game trade just to mix it up, but I'll be sending those in soon so it has plenty of time to get there.

Also, beware - I had one submitted trade that came up with a UPS label. The problem is, it said it was a "customer paid" label and that the UPS clerk should collect fees upon dropoff! WTF!? I resubmitted the same trades the next day and got a regular prepaid USPS first-class label. I don't know what happened that one time but you might want to check if you aren't in the habit of printing the labels right when you submit. I notmally do that, but I was putting in about 10 games and didn't want to print them all right away so I didn't even notice the UPS label.[/QUOTE]

Its pretty nice I sent it 3 Guitar Hero 5 360 on Monday, received yesterday and got credit today through eztradein. I'm really liking the fast turnaround.

[quote name='hqn101']Its pretty nice I sent it 3 Guitar Hero 5 360 on Monday, received yesterday and got credit today through eztradein. I'm really liking the fast turnaround.[/QUOTE]

That quick is a fluke - don't expect it every time. I have other trades I didn't mention above that were received as long ago as last week and I haven't even had those verified yet. I'm also assuming if you sent 3 games and it went that fast via Parcel Post that you must live in their backyard - that makes a huge difference to the apparent "turnaround" time and really isn't a testament to their service ;) (though the receipt yesterday and payment today kind of does except that they aren't treating my games that way and it kind of pisses me off - see below).

Before these last payments came through I was about to post in here how they've reverted to the slow verifying and paying times of a month ago. They had one quick period a few weeks back and then it got slow again.

bread's done
Back