BIOSHOCK 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - Pushed to 2010

[quote name='KingBroly']That video makes the game look really uninspired if you ask me.[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself. Nonetheless I will still check it out on release day and hope for the best/half decent experience. ;\

The game looks decent; I surmise that it will probably be at least as good as the first game. However, the part where the Big Sister knocked the windows in was cool, but then the whole place filled with water, which was even more awesome! The visuals of being underwater looked really convincing.

[quote name='javeryh']Looks like more of the same... which I guess is a good thing since Bioshock is one of my favorite games ever.[/quote]

Agreed. Since this a sequel to a very engaging and original game, then I tend to give games like that a pass on the next sequel as far as huge innovations go.

Anyone else not really digging the idea of playing as a Big Daddy?

Btw, Mods feel free to hijack the OP. I didn't think this would turn into a Gen. Discussion thread, and I really had no intentions of constantly updating...

I wasn't too keen on it at first, but seeing it in action changed my mind. And this is from someone who got sick of the first game pretty quickly.

I think 2 looks pretty cool! Although I wish I hadn't seen some the more spoiler-ish stuff in the first part of the video. :p

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Anyone else not really digging the idea of playing as a Big Daddy?
[/quote]

Yeah I dont think it is a smart choice. You being a guy off a plane is way better then being a Big Daddy.
When you play as a big daddy in the first game is cool because you acquire the pieces and use it for a limited time.
the appeal of being a big daddy will wear off quickly if you are that character 24/7. Rather be that random guy off the street who gets in a shit-storm and needs to find his way out.

It looks interesting but if the story isn't as good as the first, its definitely a rental.

[quote name='darthbudge']While the graphics and gameplay did look good, I am not worried about those things.

The main thing that I am worried about is the story. Honestly, if Bioshock didn't have it's awesome story, I never would have finished it. The gameplay and graphics were cool, but got boring quickly. However, the story was absolutely awesome, and was what kept me going.

Well the man who was responsible for most of the great story aspects was Ken Levine, and with him not working on this I am just not sure if 2K Marin can pull it off.[/QUOTE]

I forget who was with me in the original Bioshock thread but...

I forget the story exactly so bare with me: The story of Bioshock is absolutely retarded if you sit down and think about it. You're born as a child, somehow trained to do exactly what Fontaine wants you to do through a command that he taught you to respond to as a child. Let's say...20 odd years later, you board a small aircraft with a gun, he asks kindly would you takeover the plane and crash it into the Atlantic Ocean into this exact spot and hopefully live through the crash then swim to the entrance of Rapture. He goes through all this effort to bring you back to Rapture to kill Andrew Ryan when at the end of the game, all Fontaine does is pump himself full of ADAM and proves that he could've saved himself 20 years of planning and do it himself.

Also, I can't remember, but maybe someone can elighten me, do they ever explain WTF Little Sisters turn into slugs?

Don't get me wrong. I loved Bioshock. I loved the gameplay though. Not the story. For me at least, stories in games are always whatever. It's how the game plays than what unfolds within the game (Gears of War 2, L4D, COD4 are prime examples, the stories really don't matter in any of those games)

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you're laughing at me or with me, but either way is fine. I realize I've completely ignored the whole thing about the idea of a linear narrative and how players of video games don't really have choice, and the idea of "choice" in a video game simply leads a player to a slightly different linear path. But I found that whole thing contrived because well, Bioshock was itself a linear experience, which I realize was part of its design to help get their original point across, but thing is...players don't care and still don't care if they're being driven down a specified path or not. If the game play is fun, people will play it. Story in video games to me is like sprinkles and a cherry on top. Not only is the game/ice cream delicious, but its got story/sprinkles and a cheery to boot.

Again, if you say yes to a choice, you go down one path towards more linearity, you say no, you go down another.

But I digress. I'm not looking to get into a philosophical discussion regarding the design of videogames. I just wanted to boil Bioshock's story down to its core and how absurd it is.

Guess I didn't need to spend all that time talking about the other story aspect of Bioshock. fail.

Oh well. I'm kind of curious to see how they explain that you play as the first Big Daddy...but 10 years later.

"Uhh...he was really really really tired"

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I forget who was with me in the original Bioshock thread but...

I forget the story exactly so bare with me: The story of Bioshock is absolutely retarded if you sit down and think about it. You're born as a child, somehow trained to do exactly what Fontaine wants you to do through a command that he taught you to respond to as a child. Let's say...20 odd years later, you board a small aircraft with a gun, he asks kindly would you takeover the plane and crash it into the Atlantic Ocean into this exact spot and hopefully live through the crash then swim to the entrance of Rapture. He goes through all this effort to bring you back to Rapture to kill Andrew Ryan when at the end of the game, all Fontaine does is pump himself full of ADAM and proves that he could've saved himself 20 years of planning and do it himself.
[/QUOTE]

You may be on to something.

EDIT: Oh, and just to add a bit to the ridiculousness parade:
It's not "20 odd" years later. It's 2 years later.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I forget who was with me in the original Bioshock thread but...

Also, I can't remember, but maybe someone can elighten me, do they ever explain WTF Little Sisters turn into slugs?

Don't get me wrong. I loved Bioshock. I loved the gameplay though. Not the story. For me at least, stories in games are always whatever. It's how the game plays than what unfolds within the game (Gears of War 2, L4D, COD4 are prime examples, the stories really don't matter in any of those games)[/QUOTE]

You were born as a child, but you were one of Suchong's experiments using the Adam to accelerate growth. If you remember some of the audio logs, they spoke of an experiment that had a child of only a few months old physically at the age of a 19 year old (or something similar) . Fontaine used the main character, because he was Ryan's son; harvested from the stripper he got pregnant. Fontaine sent you out only a few MONTHS before the events in Bioshock, to have you come back if shit went wrong. And if you remember,fontaine couldn't access the ADAM without Ryan's genetic key (which only Ryan or ONE OF HIS BLOODLINE could use), which you got from him after you kill him.

As for the sisters, they didn't make the slugs.The slugs were what made the ADAM; they lived in the little girls as parasites.

Iloved BioShock, but I think this premise is lame. I'll wait and see.

Reality's Fringe;5779847][Spoiler] You were born as a child said:
Iloved BioShock, but I think this premise is lame. I'll wait and see.

Thanks for the clear-up. With you filling in the details, I can't imagine why I thought the story was convoluted and overhyped in the first place...

I'm all for going back to Rapture, but like tons of people have said before, a prequel would've been better suited. Or, alternatively, instead of playing as Big Daddy, you play as a parent of one of the little girls who's been kidnapped, ala you could be one of those people who thoroughly believe "there's something in the sea" and you aim to find out and find your daughter.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Thanks for the clear-up. With you filling in the details, I can't imagine why I thought the story was convoluted and overhyped in the first place...
[/quote]

Doesn't seem any more convoluted than every JRPG out there.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Thanks for the clear-up. With you filling in the details, I can't imagine why I thought the story was convoluted and overhyped in the first place...

I'm all for going back to Rapture, but like tons of people have said before, a prequel would've been better suited. Or, alternatively, instead of playing as Big Daddy, you play as a parent of one of the little girls who's been kidnapped, ala you could be one of those people who thoroughly believe "there's something in the sea" and you aim to find out and find your daughter.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's convoluted, but it's kind of a reach. The presentation sold it to me, making it more than just a generic Sci-Fi story. I think they should just remake System Shock 2. I'd buy that shit in a minute.

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']Doesn't seem any more convoluted than every JRPG out there.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Welcome to why I absolutely despise Metal Gear. The series has always had interesting gameplay MOMENTS, but I myself could never sit down and play any of them to the finish. Controls are bullshit, and the story is skullfuckingly retarded that I can't handle it.

But anyways, more Bioshock = more fun for me.

I pre-ordered this game from TRU mainly cause my Res 5 gift card from them was going to expire.

I loved the first one and this second one looks to be just as promising. Was there an announcement on release day?

TRU had it at 10/15 and then they moved it up now to 9/15.

New York, NY – May 8, 2009 – 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that it has signed a partnership with Digital Extremes to develop the multiplayer experience for BioShock® 2. Under this partnership, Digital Extremes is working closely with the creative team at 2K Marin to develop a new and substantial element that enhances the lore and fiction of the BioShock universe.

"The fans asked for a multiplayer experience and we answered," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "With Digital Extremes delivering a multiplayer experience for BioShock 2 that features all of the things that make BioShock unique, we're holding ourselves to a high standard so that we can deliver the depth and variety that fans of the BioShock universe demand."

Multiplayer in BioShock 2 provides a rich prequel experience that expands the origins of the BioShock fiction. Set during the fall of Rapture, players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a premier provider of Plasmids and Tonics in the underwater city of Rapture that was first explored in the original BioShock. Players will need to use all the elements of the BioShock toolset to survive as the full depth of the BioShock experience is refined and transformed into a unique multiplayer experience that can only be found in Rapture.

Key features:

? Evolution of the genetically enhanced shooter – Earn experience points during gameplay to earn access to new Weapons, Plasmids and Tonics that can be used to create hundreds of different combinations, allowing players to develop a unique character that caters to their playing style.

? Extend the Rapture fiction – Players will step into the shoes of Rapture citizens and learn more about the fall of Rapture as they progress through the experience.

? See Rapture before the fall – Experience Rapture before it was reclaimed by the ocean and engage in combat over iconic environments in locations such as Kashmir Restaurant and Mercury Suites, all of which have been reworked from the ground up to deliver a fast-paced multiplayer experience.

? FPS veterans add their touch to the multiplayer experience – Digital Extremes brings more than 10 years of first person shooter experience including development of award-winning entries in the Unreal® and Unreal Tournament® franchise.

http://ir.take2games.com/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=382773

Sounds pretty solid if they balance it right. Still hoping it doesn't take away from the single player experience.

It sounds absolutely orgasmic on paper. I just hope they can actually deliver on the vision they plan to make reality.

"The fans asked for a multiplayer experience and we answered,"

I want to know what "fans" they spoke to. Other than a person here and there, reading around, it seems the overwhelming majority think Bioshock should remain a single player experience.

Sounds like they are wasting their time and money.

Everyone these days wants multiplayer. I don't care if it's there or not, as long as it does not interfere with the single player experience. I want them to focus 110% of their time and energy to make sure the campaign is bad ass. I'm truly glad there's a separate team doing the online portion, so hopefully the story won't be lacking or be short since there is full focus by the team. I hope multiplayer is fun, but if not, oh well!

If it's bad multiplayer, it's bad multiplayer and you don't play it. If it's good multiplayer, awesome.

You guys need to chill out.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']If it's bad multiplayer, it's bad multiplayer and you don't play it. If it's good multiplayer, awesome.

You guys need to chill out.[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

The problem with the multiplayer is that they're trying to sell it as canon by saying its' the prequel.

No big deal really.. it's a game. If it's fun, it's fun. Bioshock 1 was fun. The story wasn't amazing or anything but the game play was great. The graphics were great. The atmosphere was great. As long as Bioshock 2 follows, it'll be a big hit. If the multiplayer is worth playing, that's just added replayability.

[quote name='slickkill77']They hired a new team to do the multiplayer[/QUOTE]

That doesn't matter, it's still part of the same budget and money that could be going towards crafting a better solo experience.

[quote name='Corvin']I want to know what "fans" they spoke to. Other than a person here and there, reading around, it seems the overwhelming majority think Bioshock should remain a single player experience.

Sounds like they are wasting their time and money.[/QUOTE]

Never once when I was playing Bioshock did I think to myself "Gee multiplayer is what this game really needs". Its their money to waste. We'll see how it turns out.

[quote name='TC']Never once when I was playing Bioshock did I think to myself "Gee multiplayer is what this game really needs". Its their money to waste. We'll see how it turns out.[/quote] +1

Any time there's tacked on MP, people will complain.

Why devote resources & disk space for something that's a waste?
Use those things for the part people give a rip about instead.

[quote name='TC']Never once when I was playing Bioshock did I think to myself "Gee multiplayer is what this game really needs". Its their money to waste. We'll see how it turns out.[/quote]

Maybe they looked at Resident Evil 5 and said: Multiplayer nobody wanted!? We can do that!

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Anyone else feel like if everything else was EXACTLY the same, but Ken Levine was still on the project, no one would be bitching?[/QUOTE]

The premise sucks, so it wouldn't be the same with Ken Levine on the project.

Yes, though, you're right.

It looks alright. Better than what I expected when I heard you played as a big daddy, but I'm still skeptical. I guess we'll just have to see.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Anyone else feel like if everything else was EXACTLY the same, but Ken Levine was still on the project, no one would be bitching?[/QUOTE]No one would bitch because if Ken Levine was working on it, it would seem like 2k was doing as much as they could to make sure this sequel was the best it could be. Instead, they're passing it off to a couple studios that haven't proven that they can make a game like this.

I think this sequel looks badass personally, but I understand why people are not in favor of it. I noticed the 9 minute video yesterday, but I'm going to stop watching previews so that I'm at least a little bit suprised when I buy it the first day it comes out.

bread's done
Back