Bioshock Infinite $29.98 @ Target? Possibly YMMV?

[quote name='cancerman1120']They are praising it for showing a FPS can be more than just pew pew pew.[/QUOTE]
That's just my point though. Remove the story elements and it's just. . .another shooter. I say people are giving it a pass because of the story because that's almost exclusively what they talk about when discussing BioShock games. That and Elizabeth is a wonderfully developed character that people get attached to.

At any rate, I wouldn't say my GOTY will be GTA V either but it's the most likely candidate for media outlets given they only come around every few years and tend to be masterpieces as well.

[quote name='StryderOmega']This right here is a fail of an idea to go that far for a game when you just spent that much money in gas... Just buy it at $60.[/QUOTE]
Unless I missed something, he didn't say he went just to pick up the game. He said he was in the area, and he wasn't going to be there again until Friday which means he probably does other things in that area.

[quote name='rudy6799']Got walmart to price match it by showing them the pictures on the front page. Had to fight to get it at the register after i was told it would work. So this would be a ymmv as web[/QUOTE]

Atta boy!

Seems to me that if you have a Target that normally has clearance games then you will most likely find it but if you have a Target that never clearances games and just has the $20 Value area you're shit out of luck.

[quote name='Nightshde']Seems to me that if you have a Target that normally has clearance games then you will most likely find it but if you have a Target that never clearances games and just has the $20 Value area you're shit out of luck.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all, all the Target's here still have a clearance section filled with old sports games and junk shovelware, but Bioshock Infinite was on the shelf at full price.

[quote name='StryderOmega']This right here is a fail of an idea to go that far for a game when you just spent that much money in gas... Just buy it at $60.[/QUOTE]

That may be your perspective. Unless you are driving a monster truck (street legal in GA I believe) it wouldn't take that much gas to get there.

Believe it or not some people actually don't live in the city that they work in, so this novel concept of commuting might enable them to stop in a different city to shop. Weird I know....but just like this deal YMMV.

[quote name='Jodou']That's just my point though. Remove the story elements and it's just. . .another shooter. I say people are giving it a pass because of the story because that's almost exclusively what they talk about when discussing BioShock games. That and Elizabeth is a wonderfully developed character that people get attached to.

At any rate, I wouldn't say my GOTY will be GTA V either but it's the most likely candidate for media outlets given they only come around every few years and tend to be masterpieces as well.[/QUOTE]

This really makes no sense...Remove any aspect from a game that is great and it becomes less than what it is. Remove the multiplayer from Call of Duty and no one will buy it. Remove the great story in most RPGs and they just become a game about leveling up. BioShock is a game that focuses on the story first and then uses a first person perspective to convey that story to the player.

A game is a package...just like almost anything else in the world, the parts are less than the sum of them. They should improve one another, bringing the overall product to a higher level.

You don't like it, that's fine. That's what makes our world unique and special, individuality. Uniqueness generates ideas and progress. If we all thought the same we would never progress as a society. It just seems that you're saying people who like the game because of the story and are praising the game are doing a disservice to others because in your eyes the gameplay elements are lack luster. I truly loved this game, from start to finish I thought it was great. And I will recommend it to anyone who is willing to listen about it, but if they aren't interested that's fine with me.

[quote name='American Madman']Managed to snag this deal at the Newnan GA Target. They had 2 PS3 copies and 1 360 copy still available at the clearance price if anyone is interested.

When I asked the electronics employee the reason for the clearance, he told me it was because they were remodeling electronics. The new area in the store for that department is smaller, so he said they were told to reduce inventory. He said they had Tomb Raider on clearance in this store last week for the same reason.

That may be a load of malarkey, and just a rumor between employees. It sure doesn't seem to make a lot of business sense to pick a brand new game to clear out just for shelf space.

Did any other CAGs who managed to get this deal happen to be buying from a Target that was remodeling? If so, maybe its a sign of some unique clearance opportunities in the future.[/QUOTE]

The clearance Tomb Raider wasn't BS/malarkey. Peeps posted pics in the Target clearance thread. There is a precedent of select few and varying Targets pulling similar clearance deals on new or nearly new releases the past couple of years.

In general the reasons/rumors given, from a variety of "sources", vary to include some or all of the following: individual store or district management's clearance discretion, electronics department reorg (lately to bring in the new Apple focused areas/"ministores"), sales of the new game(s) not meeting store expectations/inventory glut so they are clearanced quickly after release, or special/limited/collector's editions taking up too much valuable retail shelf space so they are clearanced quickly. Draw your own conclusions. Whatever the case may be, if you are the beneficiary of such a boon, be sure and say a silent prayer to the CAG gods...

[quote name='Saix_XIII']This really makes no sense...Remove any aspect from a game that is great and it becomes less than what it is. Remove the multiplayer from Call of Duty and no one will buy it. Remove the great story in most RPGs and they just become a game about leveling up. BioShock is a game that focuses on the story first and then uses a first person perspective to convey that story to the player.

A game is a package...just like almost anything else in the world, the parts are less than the sum of them. They should improve one another, bringing the overall product to a higher level.

You don't like it, that's fine. That's what makes our world unique and special, individuality. Uniqueness generates ideas and progress. If we all thought the same we would never progress as a society. It just seems that you're saying people who like the game because of the story and are praising the game are doing a disservice to others because in your eyes the gameplay elements are lack luster. I truly loved this game, from start to finish I thought it was great. And I will recommend it to anyone who is willing to listen about it, but if they aren't interested that's fine with me.[/QUOTE]
I'd play it even without the FPS element. :twoguns:

Dang this thread is all over the place... Suffice to say preordering the PC download version of this game was the way to go. So many crazy deals were going on. I got XCom EU and $45 game credit for preordering from Amazon PCDD. Already used part of the credit to grab Borderlands 2 + season pass on sale last week. Might use rest of credit on Infinite season pass. :)

[quote name='sadboy']I'd play it even without the FPS element. :twoguns:[/QUOTE]

Anyone playing BioShock because it's a "FPS" will be disappointed. It functions well enough as one, nothing really bad, but it's not a tight FPS like CoD or Halo or whatever, because it isn't trying to be.

[quote name='American Madman']Managed to snag this deal at the Newnan GA Target. They had 2 PS3 copies and 1 360 copy still available at the clearance price if anyone is interested.

When I asked the electronics employee the reason for the clearance, he told me it was because they were remodeling electronics. The new area in the store for that department is smaller, so he said they were told to reduce inventory. He said they had Tomb Raider on clearance in this store last week for the same reason.

That may be a load of malarkey, and just a rumor between employees. It sure doesn't seem to make a lot of business sense to pick a brand new game to clear out just for shelf space.

Did any other CAGs who managed to get this deal happen to be buying from a Target that was remodeling? If so, maybe its a sign of some unique clearance opportunities in the future.[/QUOTE]

Hm, my local Target is currently remodeling. May just have to head up there today if that is the case.

I wonder how many people in this thread have spent close to $30 in gas chasing this pipe dream deal, when they could have spent that on just buying the game at full price (one of the few games that actually deserves it IMO)

[quote name='Saix_XIII']A game is a package...just like almost anything else in the world, the parts are less than the sum of them.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Saix_XIII']Anyone playing BioShock because it's a "FPS" will be disappointed. It functions well enough as one, nothing really bad, but it's not a tight FPS like CoD or Halo or whatever, because it isn't trying to be.[/QUOTE]
See, that's my problem with the reviews and people calling it GOTY already. It IS a package, but is carried very hard by the story/characters and as far as gameplay goes is just mediocre. Gameplay is important to me (see Demon's/Dark Souls) and I found it funny that the driving factor to play Infinite was to find out what the twist was. I think my main problem is that BioShock did a better job fooling me because it was fresh and new, but now that franchise fatigue is setting in the seams are showing.

At any rate, it's worth the price of admission if nothing else for a $60 theatrical experience.

To me story is paramount in almost every game I play UNLESS the gameplay is stellar, case in point Boderlands. I think the story is boring as can be, but the online co-op is so much fun I don't care. But with BioShock the gameplay is not bad at all, it just is not up to par with a refined shooter, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

I am personally tired of pure shooters like CoD, Halo, and Gears....please ignore the fact that I own every Halo, Gears, and all but the most recent CoD....so a more fast paced arcadey shooter fits me preference more. To each their own as they say.

Vegas had them in the system for $41.98 but were sold out. Also on clearance was Defiance, Naruto (newest one ps3), castlevania 3ds, MLB 2k13, MLB 2k13/nba 2k13 combo, tiger woods 14 ( the $69.99 version). Those were all 30-33% off.

bread's done
Back