Black Friday 2019 Video Game Deals - Master Thread, Spreadsheet, and General Black Friday Discussion

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
I put most of my effort into sifting through to find the best deals for my friends this year. My gf and I stopped into target yesterday afternoon and I had no intention of buying anything, until I saw a lone Division 2 gold steelbook sitting out. Would have passed it up had I not, just that morning, read that they'd merged it with vanilla. Felt good about it, but being in a store on black Friday not wanting anything felt incredibly wrong.

I'm thankful for "down" years like this because they let me catch up on all the games I didn't have time to play last year or in years past. Surely you have some of those?
Nope. I play the games I buy. I don’t buy games unless I definitely want to play them soon. I used to have stacks of cheap games to play but after trying several of them and realizing I didn’t like them, I don’t do that any longer. I only buy games I know I will like.

But I mean there's literally no way to play all the great games that come out in a year unless all you do all the time is play games. There are no games that released in years other than this one that you want to play? Do you not work?

But I mean there's literally no way to play all the great games that come out in a year unless all you do all the time is play games. There are no games that released in years other than this one that you want to play? Do you not work?
Of course I work. I don’t enjoy every good game or every genre. You may like more types of games than me. For example, I played the first level of the new Gears of War game via Game Pass and realized I’m tired of those games. I wasn’t having fun so I quit. I buy the genres of games that I like and If I start a game and am not having fun, I quit the game. So not only do I work, I value my game time so much that I will only play games that I like and am having fun with.

I can respect that. I just think it's weird that there are no games in the 40+ year history of gaming that you haven't played but wish you had,  But maybe I'm reading your sentiment wrong about wanting new games to play.

I can respect that. I just think it's weird that there are no games in the 40+ year history of gaming that you haven't played but wish you had, But maybe I'm reading your sentiment wrong about wanting new games to play.
Well I’m 40+ years old so I’ve probably played most when they came out over the years. As I’ve agreed I’ve also found myself enjoying fewer types of games and becoming less willing to put up with stupid cliches like JRPG amnesia and 10hr long tutorials to play a 40 hr long game. 25% of your game should not be tutorial. I liked The Outer Worlds but it wasn’t too long. I like adventure games but they’re usually short 10-12hrs. Some RPG like shooters like the outer worlds or Prey. I’m not a fan of stealth games. Not a fan of sports or multiplayer since I can’t get good in the time I have plus I’ve got a family. Plus the people you have to deal with. I did play through the entire Secret of Mana on PS4 with my kids. That was pretty fun to play with them. I wish there was something else out there like that.

Generally speaking though, I’m a fan of story based games. I’ve all but quit platformers. I’m getting too old for those. Most of Nintendo games...well I used to love them but it’s tough “saving the princess” again.

Grabbed a ton of stuff this BF week...I sold my original PS4 back in 2016 and my original Switch earlier this year, so definitely have an insane backlog, but got most everything for a good price so can't really complain...

Nintendo Switch (updated model)

Luigi's Mansion III

Dead Cells

AI Somnium Files

Stein's Gate

Super Mario Maker 2

FIFA 20 (I know it's even worse than the PS4 edition which is still pretty bad, but I need my soccer fix on the go)

PS4 Pro Death Stranding bundle

Resident Evil II

Yakuza 0

Yakuza 6

Judgement

Catherine Full Body

Red Dead Redemption II

Gran Turismo Sport

Grand Theft Auto V

Skyrim

Witcher III

Any where still have Mario Rabbits Kingdom Battle. My local Target was sold out when I went there yesterday and it seems like the target website, amazon, and Bestbuy website both are sold out too.

Wonder what the chances are that BB restocks it’s online inventory of RE2 and DMC 5 for Cyber Monday. Sure didn’t last long at $14.99.

Any where still have Mario Rabbits Kingdom Battle. My local Target was sold out when I went there yesterday and it seems like the target website, amazon, and Bestbuy website both are sold out too.
When I went to Walmart, I saw a two-pack with Mario Rabbids and Starlink in the same shrinkwrapped package. I don't know if it was on sale, but I plan to find out one of these days.

I can confirm that rebuilding the PS4 database helps quite a bit in terms of speeding up the UI. I have a OG PS4 with a 2 TB HDD that’s almost full, and the UI was definitely sluggish. Significant lag scrolling up and down on the UI, as well as when pressing the PS Button to go back & forth. The store was bad too. Rebuilding the database does help, but it may only be a temporary fix.

Two other good tips are to limit the amount of applications on the home screen, and changing the PS4 theme to something more basic.

I’ve heard that Sony recommends doing this like once a month to keep things running smoothly.
Is there an Xbox equivalent of this cause my X really needs it. Frame rates stuttering, some textures in Apex not loading etc

I posted this in the BB thread:

Looking over things, it appears that GCU does not work with specified deals for BF but works with other things that do not pertain to BF.
I mean, as it should. Gone are the glory days of GCU with BF prices, but at least it shouldn't be deactivated for everything for the entire weekend.

so amazon has wolfenstein youngblood: deluxe edition for ps4 at $15. lower than any black friday price ive seen.
The game is not very good though compared to the other titles in the series, and that’s coming from someone who earned the Platinum for this game. Not sure why I stuck with it; I guess to get my money’s worth. I’ve heard the game has been patched now with some updates that make some trophies easier, and some more difficult.

Is there an Xbox equivalent of this cause my X really needs it. Frame rates stuttering, some textures in Apex not loading etc
In Settings-Devices and Streaming-Blu-ray trying clearing persistent storage. I was having major menu lag and stuttering in games and this helped, but I have an S. Not sure if it would help on the X but it doesn't hurt to try.

My friends long time no see !!!!!! Hope everyone’s holiday has been great !

As for gaming the only deals that have interested me were the 199 switch and spidey at Best Buy but Best Buy sold out instantly on thanksgiving day :(

And my favorite item this year. My non-gaming/movie item from Knucklebonz.com:

Mercyful Fate 3D vinyl Darkness Version, w/ certificate of authenticity signed by King Diamond. (Any King or Fate fans here??).

That’s it. Relatively small for me, but I got everything I wanted with little to no effort. When I went to Walmart for the movies on thanksgiving night around 9:30, it was pretty dead and I found everything. I was kind of surprised. I felt more people were in the grocery section than the rest of the store.
Metalhead here, and yes, LOVE King Diamond and Mercyful Fate!

My friends long time no see !!!!!! Hope everyone’s holiday has been great !

As for gaming the only deals that have interested me were the 199 switch and spidey at Best Buy but Best Buy sold out instantly on thanksgiving day :(
This is why you should order things online, especially when they offer free shipping. The game was available from Wednesday through Friday if not earlier at $15. It's possible it may be that price again before Christmas.

Something weird just happened. I went to Best Buy and Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair was on sale for $19.99. I added it to cart and went to checkout and I got an "oops. error" message midway through the checkout process. So I go back to my cart and the item is now $39.99.

Wtf is that all about???

Best Black Friday ever, got like 10 games, XB1S for my kids, bunch of 4k movies. My Bills beat the Cowboys.

But the best deal was almost 400lbs of cat litter for $66 and a $10 gc. lol

Outer Worlds $35 at BB for XB. Already beat it but that's my buy price to support the devs

Something weird just happened. I went to Best Buy and Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair was on sale for $19.99. I added it to cart and went to checkout and I got an "oops. error" message midway through the checkout process. So I go back to my cart and the item is now $39.99.

Wtf is that all about???
It has turned into a Cyber Monday sale at BB, which is why GCU now applies. Not everything is still on sale though (like Yooka-Laylee).

Best Black Friday ever, got like 10 games, XB1S for my kids, bunch of 4k movies. My Bills beat the Cowboys.

But the best deal was almost 400lbs of cat litter for $66 and a $10 gc. lol
I'm kind of afraid to ask why you would buy 400 lbs of cat litter, unless you are involved with a shelter or something, in which case it's understandable.

I'm kind of afraid to ask why you would buy 400 lbs of cat litter, unless you are involved with a shelter or something, in which case it's understandable.
Multiple cats, we go through like 60 lbs a month. Got some for my mom and sister too, who have cats.

Besides we normally buy Tidy cats which is $15 for 35 lbs, so why the hell not.

Well, damn. I was impatient about getting Yu-Gi-Oh for the Switch, so I ended up getting the digital version for $28. With GCU at BB, I could've gotten the physical for $16. I'm getting sloppy.

Well, I was only planning on buying 3 or 4 games on Black Friday.

Ended up with:

Trials of Cold Steel III $40

Yooka-Laylee & The Impossible Lair $15

Darksiders III $10

Crash Team Racing $15

Aladdin / Lion King Collection $15

Kingdom Hearts 3 $15

Indivisible $15

Medievil $20

Catherine (steelbook) $25

Purple Dual Shock 3 controller $40

512GB SD card for the Switch $65

...and then I totally blew my wad at Best Buy on 4K steelbooks (on sale AND B2G1 free). Picked up 12 that I had been waiting for a sale on.

YIKES!

Looks like Target has an in store deal where you get one of those 128gb Nintendo branded SD cards for free with the purchase of a Switch. Seems to be Monday only though. It may also be online, but not sure.

bread's done
Back