BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Thread - Continuum Shift II patch & Platinum Out Now!

[quote name='GuardianE']She also died in the original game. And is now replaced by two characters in similar design.

Unlimited version means a super over powered version of a character, just for funsies... sort of like a boss version, if you were so inclined. Ragna, Mu-13, and Rachel all had Unlimited versions in the original Calamity Trigger if you unlocked them. You also played against them in Score Attack mode.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how that's possible then because Rachel and Mu-13 are at the bottom of the CS tier list. I don't see how they are unlimited overpowered characters.

[quote name='Mahoney07']I don't see how that's possible then because Rachel and Mu-13 are at the bottom of the CS tier list. I don't see how they are unlimited overpowered characters.[/QUOTE]

What chart are you looking at? Because from what I understand from the Dustloop forums, the authority on BlazBlue, Mu-13 isn't even listed specifically because there's no normal version of Mu-13. If you're talking about Lambda-11 (who plays similarly to Mu-13), then she's smack dab in the middle.

bbcsmatchup2a.png

(courtesy of Dustloop)

Mu-12 isn't listed in this chart. If that's who you're referring to, Mu-12 is a different character than Mu-13.

Anyway, you're still not understanding what Unlimited character means. In Continuum Shift (AKA Super BlazBlue), there's an Unlimited version of EVERY character. It's not a tier, or rank rating, or anything. It's a separate character (e.g. there's regular Mu-13 and there's Unlimited Mu-13 in Calamity Trigger). By definition, the Unlimited version of a character is godly vs. the regular version of that character. In Calamity Trigger (AKA The Original BlazBlue), Unlimited versions of only Ragna, Rachel, and Mu-13 were available along with their regular versions.

Frankly, if Lambda-11 got bumped down, I'm glad. Mu-13 was overpowered in Calamity Trigger.

[quote name='Mahoney07']I hear V-13 is HORRIBLE in this game. Not sure if I'm going to get it now.[/QUOTE]
Nu (V-13) is now know as Lambda-11 in Continuum Shift, because as Guardian mentioned - Nu died in Calamity Trigger. Even though I've only played a very little bit of CS I can attest that Lambda is SIGNIFICANTLY toned down from Nu in CT.

They are bringing Nu back in the console release of CS as the Unlimited form of Lambda 11. Unlimited characters are completely unbalanced versions of the different characters that are banned from tournaments and ranked play. CT had a few of these, which you fight in the end of Score Attack or Arcade mode (depending on who you play with) or unlock via DLC.

[quote name='GuardianE'][/SPOILER]

[/SPOILER]

Valkenhayn. Very badass indeed. A lot of fans had been clamoring for his in-game appearance.[/QUOTE]
If he is in, I'm going to pick him up.

GGs last night everyone.

First Makoto gameplay video. Not very long but she's definitely going to be a rushdown character. I think this is going to make you happy Guardian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA3B7GfhjWA

EDIT: I also added the DLC schedule to the first page. It's for Japan so I don't know if pricing/timing will be the same but at least it'll give an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh, I wanna see, but it's blocked at work. Someone nice could host it on Viddler. :p

As for the DLC schedule, the BBCS FAQ on the Aksys forums say that they're hoping to keep up with the Japanese schedule, but they're not guaranteeing anything.

@MtlTom
Aksys really did want to make a fantastical CE, but due to time constraints and production lead times, it just wasn't meant to be. Sure they could have slapped together some crappy branded merchandise and threw it in a box, but they know we deserve better than that. So we’ll just have to live with buying the game for the paltry sum of $39.99 at Gamestop or 36.99 at Amazon.

[quote name='BlakkRanger']@MtlTom
Aksys really did want to make a fantastical CE, but due to time constraints and production lead times, it just wasn't meant to be. Sure they could have slapped together some crappy branded merchandise and threw it in a box, but they know we deserve better than that. So we’ll just have to live with buying the game for the paltry sum of $39.99 at Gamestop or 36.99 at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Did you quote the Aksys forums FAQ, or did you actually write the FAQ over on that site?

http://www.aksysgames.com/forums/topic/685

[quote name='MtlTom']GGs last night everyone.

First Makoto gameplay video. Not very long but she's definitely going to be a rushdown character. I think this is going to make you happy Guardian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA3B7GfhjWA

EDIT: I also added the DLC schedule to the first page. It's for Japan so I don't know if pricing/timing will be the same but at least it'll give an idea.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. Based on the limited amount of footage, it looks like she has a projectile that she can launch by striking it, presumably in different directions/angles. She also seems to have a close up mixup game, creating clones and the opponent having to guess which one is which ala Psylocke. Hopefully it's fast enough to be useful (using it seems to break the combo).

I'm slightly worried that she'll play too similarly to a slightly quicker Noel. Obviously, that could be way off base given that the video only showed one or two combos. I really want to see what her air options are.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. They're releasing characters as DLC? I didn't think BlazBlue could get any shittier. I know Soul Calibur 4 did it, but holy shit.

One week away - who can we expect to see for the 1st Wednesday night session?

EDIT: I updated the first page - all the DLC hit the US XBL Marketplace today except for Makoto.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Is any of that DLC unlockable through playing the game?[/QUOTE]
Mu-12 is unlockable by finishing the True Ending, which you get by beating story mode with all characters.

The Unlimited chars are unlockable by finishing Score Attack with that particular character.

Makoto has to be purchased. I think I'm going to wait on purchasing characters until they are all announced/released.

It just seems ridiculous when they are making these budget release fighting games and then charging near 10 bucks for one character. Value seems to decrease at that point for the full experience. Damn, even paying 18 bucks for the SSFIV costume pack is absurd.

[quote name='MtlTom']One week away - who can we expect to see for the 1st Wednesday night session?

EDIT: I updated the first page - all the DLC hit the US XBL Marketplace today except for Makoto.[/QUOTE]

I have it pre-ordered from Amazon. If I can pick up a copy from a local store on release date, I will.

[quote name='BackInBlack']It just seems ridiculous when they are making these budget release fighting games and then charging near 10 bucks for one character. Value seems to decrease at that point for the full experience. Damn, even paying 18 bucks for the SSFIV costume pack is absurd.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, the budget pricing seems to be their justification for having copious amounts of DLC, and I sort of agree with it. $7 doesn't seem that unreasonable for a new character+story mode, considering that Mass Effect 2's DLC was $7 a piece for a short segment+new character. The SSFIV costume pack is pretty outrageously priced, but you can always make the argument that you don't NEED costumes.

I don't necessarily like the principle of it, but since it supports Aksys and Arc System Works, I'll buy it. They always put tremendous care into whatever they do. The same goes for Capcom. Both of these games are easily worth $60 to me... considering all the substantive changes (10 new characters for SSFIV, full redone story mode+characters in CS) these could easily have gone for full retail in the mid-90's. Gamers are much less devoted to fighting games now, and cringe at a new "Super" version of a game even without doing research into how different the new release will actually be. Budget pricing at $40, and then some heavier DLC seems like a sound business strategy to me.

[quote name='advanced']Does this game do the story bits the same as the first? As in with text and not in a cinematic?[/QUOTE]

It's longer, and supposed to be improved in every way, but I think it's still text based (w/ voice acting of course).

[quote name='Ma12kez']Does anyone know if having Calamity Trigger will unlock anything worthwhile in Continuum Shift?[/QUOTE]

I think the FAQ on the Aksys forums mentioned that nothing would carry over, but I'm not sure.

First SFIV and now this. Can't they just delay it 6 months and give us the final game. This is a big cash run by the co's if you ask me.

[quote name='2DMention']First SFIV and now this. Can't they just delay it 6 months and give us the final game. This is a big cash run by the co's if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Really? I can see someone saying that about Capcom (which I still don't agree with), but Aksys? They're a tiny company trying to play with the big dogs. I absolutely hate it when people who assume that this game is just an update without doing proper research.

A yearly sequel isn't for everyone, but that doesn't stop Call of Duty or Madden from doing it. And make no mistake. This game is so different from the original (just like SSFIV was) that it could easily be considered a sequel. Completely redone story (which is important and substantive if you've played the first), new balancing, characters, moves, training modes and tutorials.

Unless you're referring to the whole DLC thing... which I don't think you were since you referenced SSFIV.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I can't wait to hate this game.[/QUOTE]
:cry: You did alright in CT a few weeks ago considering you hadn't played in eons. I think the tutorial/training mode can help. I mean, I'm not great at CT by any means.

[quote name='2DMention']First SFIV and now this. Can't they just delay it 6 months and give us the final game. This is a big cash run by the co's if you ask me.[/QUOTE]
The game has already been out for like 9 months in Japan on arcades. You have to understand if they delay it too long, there won't really be any interest. Like Guardian said, franchises like Call of Duty, and pretty much every goddamn sports game has been doing it for years.

People seem to forget the SNES days...
Street Fighter II - 1992
Street Fighter II Turbo - 1993
Super Street Fighter II - 1994

Updates to fighting games are nothing new. These were all $60-70 games!

If I recall Aksys & Arc System Works did the same thing for Guilty Gear with its numerous revisions. If you don't want the DLC fighters then don't buy them! Personally I don't think I'm going to buy Makoto or Platinum, but I'm interested in Valkenhayn.

Bottom line: if you think CS is a ripoff, just wait for the followup :lol:.

[quote name='GuardianE']
It's longer, and supposed to be improved in every way, but I think it's still text based (w/ voice acting of course).
[/QUOTE]

The characters are so pretty, and the animations so well done in game that its kind of a shame that they'd do it this way. I've probably been spoiled by SFIV, but I just can't imagine why they wouldn't invest the time to make cinematics.

I'll probably get this later on, but with the story still being text based, I'll pass for the first few months. Thanks for the info Guardian.

[quote name='MtlTom']One week away - who can we expect to see for the 1st Wednesday night session?

EDIT: I updated the first page - all the DLC hit the US XBL Marketplace today except for Makoto.[/QUOTE]

I'll have it as soon as it's in stock at my local Best Buy. That should be next Tuesday, so I should be good to go next Wednesday night. Looking forward to seeing any changes with Tao.

Guardian, thanks for the games last night. MtlTom - thanks for the games this past week. You guys helped me get 100 Trials (100 ranked matches) in Calamity Trigger last night as well as Praetorian Guardsman (lvl 30).

[quote name='wjhard63']I'll have it as soon as it's in stock at my local Best Buy. That should be next Tuesday, so I should be good to go next Wednesday night. Looking forward to seeing any changes with Tao.[/QUOTE]
Just checked bestbuy.com and they are showing it in-stock at all the Best Buys near me but not available till 7/27. I have mine pre-ordered at GameStop but they are saying it "ships" 7/27. I'm going to be upset if they don't get it Tuesday or Wednesday.

I beat score attack mode on Calamity trigger but I've never been more wanting to break a controller in my entire life. That platinum was the hardest

Why the hell are all the posts under phantasyx's post? This thread is totally borked.

So, BestBuy is full of shit. I received an In-Store Pickup notification for my order, went there, waited 40 minutes for them to shuffle about looking for the game only to inform me that they don't have it, it would come on the 30th, and they couldn't cancel my order (I'd have to do it myself). Why send me a notification to come in so I can waste my lunch break? What the hell. This isn't the first time I've had an issue with In-Store Pickup.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I'm glad I only use Amazon to buy games.[/QUOTE]

I'm usually the same way, but I really wanted to get this on release day. And I don't have Amazon Prime.

So, I played a bit last night. Enough to get some intial impressions:

Packaging- This is the first new wave Xbox360 covers I've seen. It looks sort of weird to me (the border at the top), but I guess I'll get used to it. Coverart is pleasing, but nothing special. The inside cover has very cute character art featuring the BlazBlue cast in a classroom setting. Surprisingly enough, this isn't one of the new eco-cases with the pie slice holes cut into the plastic. I think it might be a new wave of eco-friendly cases where the plastic is simply thinner. The instruction manual cover features the tri-fecta of mechanized teenaged girls and there's a saucy shot of Mu-12 on the disc itself.

New Modes- The tutorial mode is fantastic. I was surprised when I saw that the instruction manual for this game was only 4 pages long, but this tutorial mode covers absolutely everything you need to play the game. From very basic, simple movement to advanced character specific strategies, the dismissive Rachel keeps things from getting too dry. And it's REALLY extensive.

Challenge mode is a welcome new addition, and something that was really needed in CT (think SFIV TrialMode). It's really superbly done, with shortcut buttons assigned to reset your character positions in the blink of an eye, or show an example of how the combo is performed. There are 10 Challenges per character, with several combos in each Challenge (a few of the later ones may be comprised of only one combo). You can switch between Challenges freely in the menu. It's a really good learning tool, and I already feel much more comfortable with my main.

Legion mode is fun. This was apparently in the PSP port of CT. You essentially move across pegs on a grid, participate in short survival battles, and recruit new characters until all of the pegs are yours. You can save between pegs and come back anytime to continue your domination of the grid. It's nothing all that special, but it does feel like more than just a throwaway mode. It's worth checking out.

Story mode is huge. You must start with Ragna, and from there you'll unlock other characters' stories all the way until you reach the True Ending. There are a few major differences from CT. First off, the story takes place after the events of CT, so it's pretty much a sequel. Secondly, there seem to be fewer fights and fewer choices left to the player's discretion (only beaten Ragna so far, so it could just be him) despite the longer exposition. This makes for a lot of narration and not a lot of action. I don't mind all that much, but I think there could have been more random fights sprinkled in.

Character Tweaks- I'm in love with Litchi again. There are some very obvious changes with many of the returning cast. Not just simple nerfing/buffing, but new moves, different cancel properties and timing, new combo options...

New Characters- Admittedly, I haven't played much of the new characters. I have played against Hazama a number of times online, though (his Distortion snuffs everything :bomb:). His Ouroboros gives him scary mobility, and it feels like he can combo from practically anywhere on screen. I played against one Tsubaki. She's a ground combo machine. Huge damage on huge ground combos. Not as much of a juggle oriented character it seems, from first glance (though it could have just been the player). Can't wait to learn more about them!

Achievements- harder than CT, not sure by how much. Obviously, the timesinks are going to be the Level Up to 50, and completing 100 Challenges. Something to note, however, you only have to complete 100/150 possible Challenges for the achievement (unlike SFIV and SSFIV's trials).

Those are just some thoughts I had from one night of playing. I hope to see some of you guys online tonight for some matches!

I haven't had much time with the game but Guardian pretty much nailed everything on the head. Tutorial & challenge mode are both excellent for both newcomers and people who have experience. As great as SSFIV's Trial mode is, CS is way better since you can see a replay of how exactly to do the combo. The tutorial DVD with CT was awesome, but this is essentially an interactive version of it.

With the Achievements, some of them are the same but there are definitely some you're going to have to work for. I've heard Legion's 3 achievements are not stackable, and there is one for unlocking everything in the gallery - which probably means all Story endings, all arcade finished, etc.

I'm also pretty stoked about the changes for Astral Finish commands (read: easier). Couple that with the new conditions, and I'm going to be As-trolling everyone tonight :lol:. I still need to get used to doing a 1080 for Tager's new command though.

[quote name='MtlTom']I haven't had much time with the game but Guardian pretty much nailed everything on the head. Tutorial & challenge mode are both excellent for both newcomers and people who have experience. As great as SSFIV's Trial mode is, CS is way better since you can see a replay of how exactly to do the combo. The tutorial DVD with CT was awesome, but this is essentially an interactive version of it.

With the Achievements, some of them are the same but there are definitely some you're going to have to work for. I've heard Legion's 3 achievements are not stackable, and there is one for unlocking everything in the gallery - which probably means all Story endings, all arcade finished, etc.

I'm also pretty stoked about the changes for Astral Finish commands (read: easier). Couple that with the new conditions, and I'm going to be As-trolling everyone tonight :lol:. I still need to get used to doing a 1080 for Tager's new command though.[/QUOTE]

My first ranked match, I faced a Tager and got hit with an Astral because I didn't know the new rules. I was so confused. :bomb:

But I've been undefeated since. :bouncy:

I'm extremely jealous of you guys. Like Guardian, I was told that Continuum Shift would be in later this week or next at Best Buy, so I won't be able to join in tonight. I'm at 140/200 ranked matches on Calamity Trigger, so at least I can 1k it before I pick up Continuum Shift.

Have fun tonight!

[quote name='wjhard63']I'm extremely jealous of you guys. Like Guardian, I was told that Continuum Shift would be in later this week or next at Best Buy, so I won't be able to join in tonight. I'm at 140/200 ranked matches on Calamity Trigger, so at least I can 1k it before I pick up Continuum Shift.

Have fun tonight![/QUOTE]

That sucks, man. You can't pick it up at Gamestop? That's what I ended up doing. Went across the street and called Bestbuy customer service to bitch.

[quote name='Morphx2']So being totally new to the series, is it a huge learning curve? Fightpad should work fine, right?[/QUOTE]

The learning curve's not bad. Especially with the Tutorial Mode. Rachel literally teaches you how to walk back and forth. They cover everything.

I was using a fightpad yesterday with no problems at all. There aren't 1-frame links like in Street Fighter IV. It's more about spacing, proper canceling, and delaying hits.

Go buy it!

[quote name='GuardianE']That sucks, man. You can't pick it up at Gamestop? That's what I ended up doing. Went across the street and called Bestbuy customer service to bitch.[/QUOTE]
So I might have been wrong. It looks like it is now in stock at my local Best Buy, so hopefully a stop after work will be fruitful.

[quote name='GuardianE']The learning curve's not bad. Especially with the Tutorial Mode. Rachel literally teaches you how to walk back and forth. They cover everything.

I was using a fightpad yesterday with no problems at all. There aren't 1-frame links like in Street Fighter IV. It's more about spacing, proper canceling, and delaying hits.

Go buy it![/QUOTE]

I have a $20 off coupon at K-Mart..hmmmm....

[quote name='wjhard63']So I might have been wrong. It looks like it is now in stock at my local Best Buy, so hopefully a stop after work will be fruitful.[/QUOTE]

I was kinda furious with Best Buy the other day for wasting my time. If they have it today, though, great! Then we can play!

[quote name='Morphx2']I have a $20 off coupon at K-Mart..hmmmm....[/QUOTE]

K-mart.com looks like they'll carry it, but I'm not sure if it'll be online only or not.

I'd like to play tonight, but if everyone doesn't have it maybe you and I can get some matches in Guardian & then play some HDR with everyone.

bread's done
Back