Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Yes, Saw 1 is available for import. Its expensive though last time I checked. Itd be hard to NOT have better pq/aq... the uncut version though just has a few longer scenes/more gore during the fence guy's scene and amandas scene where she cuts the guy open for the key shows more of the organs and her rifling thru it.

I have the DVD unrated/extended cut...[/quote]

yea im a fan of the movie .. so i would like to have it and ditch the shitty domestic release.. but its still $40 plus..

maybe lionsgate will eventually double dip here

Hello,

I'm new to the Blu Ray world - just picked one up and I absolutely love it. But I am having some serious issues with this BD-Live stuff. My player is connected to the internet (because I downloaded the update) but any disc I click with BD-Live says it's not available.

I finally called Sony and they're telling me now that I need some kind of memory stick made by Sony for it download all the features.

Is this true or are they just trying to milk more money out of me?

(I have a BDP-BX1)

Ugh my wallet can't take this anymore.

Picked up Wanted, X-Files: I Want to Believe and Step Brothers on Blu today.

Ugh... Dark Knight Collector's (i.e.: nerd) version next week; Burn After Reading and Into The Wild the next week...

Damn you Amazon black friday sales, my wallet screams in pain!

i dont think ill be picking up the Dark Knight nerd edition.. i dont really care for a batpod or whatever its supposed to bring.

what's the best place to pick it up again? ill prob head to bb as usual.

[quote name='CombatCraig']Hello,

I'm new to the Blu Ray world - just picked one up and I absolutely love it. But I am having some serious issues with this BD-Live stuff. My player is connected to the internet (because I downloaded the update) but any disc I click with BD-Live says it's not available.

I finally called Sony and they're telling me now that I need some kind of memory stick made by Sony for it download all the features.

Is this true or are they just trying to milk more money out of me?

(I have a BDP-BX1)[/QUOTE]

Did you open up your manual?

Anyways, go buy a $5-$8 thumbdrive at Best Buy and stick it in the back. Sony, Lexmark, Bob Saget, Sandisk whatever will work. Just make sure its at least 1 GB.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Did you open up your manual?

Anyways, go buy a $5-$8 thumbdrive at Best Buy and stick it in the back. Sony, Lexmark, Bob Saget, Sandisk whatever will work. Just make sure its at least 1 GB.[/quote]

Yes I opened the manual but it never said a thumbdrive was required. One was recommended but I just thought it was Sony trying to get me to buy something I didn't really need.

I have several USB flash drives but they don't seem to fit in the port

Some discs that are BD-LIve accessible aren't. Like joan of arc since I had that a week early wasn't, and some films may not have been updated with features just yet. Like those with Dark Knight early can't access anything.

The features on turned on the day of release (normally)

That is really wierd, mine wont fit into the port either. i give up on this thing

oh and merry christmas

santa.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ch4rlie']That is really wierd, mine wont fit into the port either. i give up on this thing

oh and merry christmas

santa.gif
[/QUOTE]

Are you guys sure you are trying to put it into the recessed spot in the back of the player?

I posted this on AVS and High-Def Digest and no one posted anything so I'm asking here. Does anyone know where I can get covers for The Planet of the Apes box set? I bought it the week it came out and do not like how the BD discs fit in the case and I'm going to buy cases for them. However I would like a cover for each of them. So does anyone know where I can download covers for them?

I guess if you don't care about it too much being "official" looking you could scan the original box art or use a digital camera if no scanner? Of course assuming the box art can be taken out?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm debating about cancelling my Dark Knight pre-order at WHV...I want the one with the clown mask at Best Buy :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

wha wha what?!?!

9137374.jpg

Oh snap! I do like this better though:
8946929.jpg

Only $10

Anyone have Warner orders that still need to be shipped out?

I like how they simply forgot to ship preorders. Everything about Warner is useless, from their encodes to their store.

Aw man, Amazon has Weeds season 1 and 2 for $14 each. I know by the time I wake up later it might go up again. Sigh, decisions decisions...

Also, BoB set went down a dollar at amazon. It's a Catch 22 looking out for deals sometimes.

Blu-ray has taken over the market by storm as far as digital media content goes. The new format usually holds 25GB on a single-layer disc, while dual-layer disks can provide up to 50GB of data storage. Pioneer now is announcing that they have developed a new disc manufacturing technology that allows sixteen layers to be compacted onto a Blu-Ray disc. This total of sixteen layers gives the disc a total capacity of 400GB. Pioneer claims that the new discs will be able to be read in all current Blu-Ray readers, though they may require a firmware upgrade to adjust the pickup. The company is also stating that after the new discs start to come out into the market, burners that support the 400GB capacity will also follow.

How does Into the Wild fare in comparison to the HD-DVD in terms of PQ? About the same? I can't wait to pick that movie up, it's one of my favorites.

I'm going to pass on TDK for now, check my blog for why. I'll pick it up by Christmas, though.

[quote name='Scorch']How does Into the Wild fare in comparison to the HD-DVD in terms of PQ? About the same? I can't wait to pick that movie up, it's one of my favorites.

I'm going to pass on TDK for now, check my blog for why. I'll pick it up by Christmas, though.[/quote]

Identical codec to the HD DVD release im fairly certain, so Im gonna say the same. Im still working on a few of the others... not really in the mood for a 3 hour movie.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Identical codec to the HD DVD release im fairly certain, so Im gonna say the same. Im still working on a few of the others... not really in the mood for a 3 hour movie.[/QUOTE]

But if you decide to unload it unto the market name a price ;)

Take a look at what i got a hold of today:

100_0298.jpg

100_0300.jpg

also in case you don't already notice this is my first time posting pics how do i re size so its not insanely huge.

[quote name='bill123']Take a look at what i got a hold of today:

100_0298.jpg

100_0300.jpg

also in case you don't already notice this is my first time posting pics how do i re size so its not insanely huge.[/quote]

Circuit City, right? If so, good. Screw 'em, I hope they get fined. You should email a copy of the receipt to Warner Bros.

[quote name='bill123']Take a look at what i got a hold of today:

100_0298.jpg

100_0300.jpg

also in case you don't already notice this is my first time posting pics how do i re size so its not insanely huge.[/quote]
you got it almost 5 years ago?!? :D

[quote name='Megalith']Anyone have Warner orders that still need to be shipped out?

I like how they simply forgot to ship preorders. Everything about Warner is useless, from their encodes to their store.[/quote] I checked out the problems with the EE over at the avs forums. I'm kind of disappointed I looked into it in the first place. Once you see it you cant' unsee it and boy does it look crappy.

I must be like the only one who does not give a huge crap about TDK :lol:

I have it pre-ordered from Amazon but considering canceling it.

[quote name='guyver2077']what is with the steelbook craze? maybe i just have been ignorant but why do ppl go nuts for these.. any decent pics of one?[/QUOTE]

They suck. There's nothing different besides the fact that the case is metal and easily scratched.

I imagine that people like them because they are "special"

My TDK/WallE order from amazon is "shipping soon". :whee:

Steelbooks are nice, but I don't actively seek them out just for the sake of it. I'd only buy 'em if there's something else in the package that really appeals to me.

Actually, the only LE Collectors' package I've bought (not counting sets like Harry Potter 1-5 or BoB) on BR so far was Wanted.

I think Steelbooks are great, and I would get more of them, if they were readily available in the states. I am not going out of my way, though, to pay a significant amount more to get them from elsewhere.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Getting my TDK today from WHV.[/quote]

wow so they got their shit together.. i used to use them all the time for the new releases just so i can get them cheap and a day before release.

bread's done
Back