Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

In the latest Blu-ray from FUNimation with Shigurui: Death Frenzy, the company has included a new insert which lists upcoming high definition releases on Blu-ray. They have several upcoming releases with dates that we've known about but also other series with no dates that we haven't heard about. Their plans so far are:

Blue Gender TV/Movie Set - 4/14/2009

Tsubasa Season 1 Set - 4/14/2009

Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Rebon and Wrath of the Dragon - 5/19

Full Metal Panic: Second Raid Complete Series - No Date

Trinity Blood Complete Series - No Date

Basilisk - No Date

Origin: Special Edition - No Date

Gunslinger Girl Season 1 - No Date

yay anime on bluray. boo even more inflated prices for barebones releases...

Somebody needs to get 5cm per second on bluray and not make it a total bone dry release like the dvd version was. That was pretty damn disappointing for the $30 I paid.

[quote name='neocisco']It doesn't look like the Batman movies are available individually, at least not yet.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about just saying to hell with it and order Batman and Batman Returns from UK, no way its gonna cost as much as the $90 they want for the anthology and really who's gonna want Batman Forver and Batman & Robin anyway...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm thinking about just saying to hell with it and order Batman and Batman Returns from UK, no way its gonna cost as much as the $90 they want for the anthology and really who's gonna want Batman Forver and Batman & Robin anyway...[/quote]

I think I will just wait for a sale on the Anthology. Honestly, I never disliked Batman Forever that much. It's not nearly as good as the first two movies, but it does have its moment, and I'm a fan of Val Kilmer. And Batman and Robin? Hell, it's just funny to watch that thing.

I agree on Batman and Robin being hysterical to watch, it's one of favorites because it's so absurd and the more you watch it, the more your mind is blown at what is actually going on. I'll definitely get that Batman Anthology eventually but not unless it's at least 30 dollars less because that's a lot of money to blow. It's not really much of a priority, because to me, the two "good" movies in the set, the Burton flicks, are still good but pretty dated.

As bad an actor as Arnold is, that role as Mr. Freeze was actually below him, if that's possible. When he delivers the "take two of these" line, that might be the most douche-chill inducing moment in cinema history.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm thinking about just saying to hell with it and order Batman and Batman Returns from UK, no way its gonna cost as much as the $90 they want for the anthology and really who's gonna want Batman Forver and Batman & Robin anyway...[/quote]

I agree, there's no way I'm sinking that much money into a set that is half Schumacher. I'll wait for the eventual individual release on Batman and Returns.

The annoying part is that the movies were slotted for individual release a few months back until some douche at WB decided to see how many people would pay for the whole set. Not me.

[quote name='neocisco']I agree, there's no way I'm sinking that much money into a set that is half Schumacher. I'll wait for the eventual individual release on Batman and Returns.

The annoying part is that the movies were slotted for individual release a few months back until some douche at WB decided to see how many people would pay for the whole set. Not me.[/quote]

You could buy the set and sell the ones you for sure don't want to help negate some of the high cost...

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']You could buy the set and sell the ones you for sure don't want to help negate some of the high cost...[/quote]

Do you know if they're each individually shrinkwrapped? You're assuming, though, that someone actually wants the Schumacher movies.;)

Sometimes thin packs make for better packaging though. I kinda like the Matrix collection in thin packs. But the flipside also applies, I got the Bond sets on DVD and the thin packs combined with the horrendous cover art makes it feel like a cheap set considering you paid out the nose for it. Batman should not be in thin packs though. At the end of the day those are separate movies with no continuity and should be in the original standard cases.

[quote name='neocisco']Do you know if they're each individually shrinkwrapped? You're assuming, though, that someone actually wants the Schumacher movies.;)[/quote]

SOmeone would, trust me. People sell digital copies for five - 10 bucks on ebay, so the movies themselves would net 15-20 odds are.

By the way, if phantomfriar reads this, send me a PM. i have a question.

Gotta say this was a pretty frackin' spectacular week. I Blu binged a bit and between my gf and I we're ending up with:
Batman Anthology
Brokeback Mountain
Let the Right One In
Pinocchio
Rachel Getting Married
Role Models
Transporter 3

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']SOmeone would, trust me. People sell digital copies for five - 10 bucks on ebay, so the movies themselves would net 15-20 odds are.

By the way, if phantomfriar reads this, send me a PM. i have a question.[/quote]

I never even thought about selling my digital copies. Hmmm...:whistle2:k

I'm hoping the Batman Anthology set price stays at 88.89 at Deep Discount in time for their 20% off sale. I could do 71 bucks for the set and not feel bad about it. It'd be nice if it dropped somewhere else before that but 90 dollars for the 4 movies is just not a good buy IMO.

Then again, the Matrix collection hasn't dropped at all, and that is a set I want way more than this Batman one.

[quote name='neocisco']I never even thought about selling my digital copies. Hmmm...:whistle2:k[/quote]

Believe it or not, the ones without a disc (The code) still go for a few bucks, the ones with the disc go for a bit more.

If you had some blank blu-ray cases (you can get them hella cheap from a website or two), put the batmans you dont want in those and say it doesnt have artwork but comes with a case and youd get a tons more for the batmans lol.

Hm...looking at the release list for March 17th and only a few movies I'm seriously considering:
Punisher: War Zone (tremendous guilty pleasure movie)
Quo Vadis
The Robe

I'm a sucker for old school sword and sandle epics...

[quote name='neocisco']I agree, there's no way I'm sinking that much money into a set that is half Schumacher. I'll wait for the eventual individual release on Batman and Returns.

The annoying part is that the movies were slotted for individual release a few months back until some douche at WB decided to see how many people would pay for the whole set. Not me.[/quote]

It's guaranteed that they will have an individual release eventually. I bought the whole set for 84.99 plus tax and I pretty much know I'll only watch Batman and Batman Returns, so I pretty much just spent 50 dollars each for two blu rays. If I'm blitzed enough, maybe I'll watch Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

I thought story wise no, but the action was badass. For a straight shoot-em up movie it delivered even if it was way over the top.

That gate scene.. then he jumped on dude's neck.. so awesome.

btw, dates in the OP are wrong, Bolt hits Blu-Ray the 22nd, Twilight is the 20th.

I know you don't have to worry about release dates, Gizmo, but we do! :D

Well, some of us, anyway.. I get Bolt on Wednesday :)

Inconceivable! Nobody has mentioned that The Princess Bride is released on Blu-Ray TODAY, March 17.
Some folks at the blu-ray.com forum have found it at Wal-mart for $20, although the website says $23, so YMMV of course.
Amazon also has it for $23
http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Brid..._bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237315995&sr=8-3

Edit: I bought it this morning for $19.96 at Wal-Mart. Also, this is 2 discs. They pack in a DVD copy of the film.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neocisco']If you haven't seen the thread there's a $9.99 sale at inetvideo.com.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217718[/quote]

thank you sir... damn inetvideo has been the source of alot of my hd and bd movies.. they have killer prices

anyone bought a used movie from them? ive been wanting interview with the vampire for some time now but they are oos. they have used though

they need to bring back their free shipping over x.00 back asap. Its sad that shipping for 5 movies is $15.00

Last edited by a moderator:

The included note was sent to reviews. I included it just for those that might like to read it. The flipside is a duplicate of the cover art.

Also got 8 Mile from Universal...oh boy!

[quote name='Scorch']That gate scene.. then he jumped on dude's neck.. so awesome.

btw, dates in the OP are wrong, Bolt hits Blu-Ray the 22nd, Twilight is the 20th.

I know you don't have to worry about release dates, Gizmo, but we do! :D

Well, some of us, anyway.. I get Bolt on Wednesday :)[/QUOTE]

Ahhh...you are right. Thought Friday for Bolt for some reason. Twilight is the 21st actually.

[quote name='GizmoGC']

The included note was sent to reviews. I included it just for those that might like to read it. The flipside is a duplicate of the cover art.

Also got 8 Mile from Universal...oh boy![/quote]

I thought it would be an apology for you having to watch it.;)

[quote name='GizmoGC']

Also got 8 Mile from Universal...oh boy![/quote]

My wife is absolutely dying for that movie. Ughh. Although she made me watch True Blood, which has been damn entertaining. We'll see.

[quote name='DestroVega']Role Models was some hilarious shit.. I'm gonna pick it up[/quote]

I want to get it too, just need it to come down to at least $16 or less.

bread's done
Back