Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Thanks, guys. I appreciate straight-forward answers rather than being dicks and referring me to Amazon reviews or some such :applause:. It's good to know about defective movies and about those that are lackluster in their production/extras or just plain shit. But the good movies/products sometimes don't get bragged on.

Now that leaves still to argue whether the movies you mentioned are actually good movies...:booty:

So.. I watched MARLEY AND ME today.

I cried.. its a really touching movie that isn't about a dog at all really.

Its NOT FOR KIDS, as though there are some really serious and dark moments in the film.

GREAT MOVIE THOUGH!

[quote name='GizmoGC']Exactly why I won't watch Marley and Me. Whoever did the theatrical trailers for that film should be shot.[/quote]

Yeah, i ended up seeing a few of the trailers. they seriously make it seem like the dog is 100 percent of the film and it's not.

It really isn't a kids film... like not even in the slightest. There are TONS of serious tones to it that make it the complete opposite.

You can trace that back to John Grogan's book though. The cover certainly doesn't imply the many serious tones of the book. A cute dog sells more books and tickets than pain and struggle.

marleyme.jpg

[quote name='neocisco']You can trace that back to John Grogan's book though. The cover certainly doesn't imply the many serious tones of the book. A cute dog sells more books and tickets than pain and struggle.

marleyme.jpg
[/quote]

That cover is so freaking misleading. The damn movie is about the dog, its about the damn couple. It has its moments, but there are WAY too many serious notes in it.. the blu-ray came in today.. ill let you know about the video/audio/extras for those interested.. it is the 3 disc edition that comes with dvd/digital copy though..

I saw those at MovieStop when I was picking up my copy today. I thought it was unusual but didn't think much of it.

I used to work with someone who would actually throw away the cases for all of his games, DVD's, everything. He just kept all of the discs in giant Case Logic binders. I asked him more than once what he would do if he wanted to ever trade them in anywhere. He said he just keeps everything. To each his own, I guess, but that was just so bizarre to me.

Chasing Amy is scheduled for April 7th in the US, but I don't have faith in that date. It's definitely getting released that day in Canada. Think it'd be region 1 if I imported? It'd be $14.xx plus shipping which isn't bad.. but Amazon.com doesn't even have pricing info up for the US version, only "sign up to be notified when this item is available".. so that means either it's delayed or they're not taking preorders, I guess?

Wasn't Kevin Smith going to do an extended cut for Chasing Amy down the road? Regardless if the Canada Bluray retains all the extras from the Criterion and the picture quality is improved then I might have to import this one.

Definitely hate "environmentally friendly" packaging that is just annoying and less protective. The reason the case should be a sturdy plastic is TO PROTECT THE THING INSIDE! Cutting out holes in the plastic or whatever just makes me want to throw it away to replace it with a REAL case.

"Cutout "recycle" logo helps promote environmental concerns and practices for consumers"-- uhm, yeah, it helps promote me wanting to never buy another DVD or Bluray packaged like this again.

[quote name='Justin42']Definitely hate "environmentally friendly" packaging that is just annoying and less protective. The reason the case should be a sturdy plastic is TO PROTECT THE THING INSIDE! Cutting out holes in the plastic or whatever just makes me want to throw it away to replace it with a REAL case.

"Cutout "recycle" logo helps promote environmental concerns and practices for consumers"-- uhm, yeah, it helps promote me wanting to never buy another DVD or Bluray packaged like this again.[/quote]

Yeah I just got a few of those with my recent couple of 007 & The Robe purchases (seems Fox is big on them). I actually swapped them case-for-case with movies in my collection I care less about. I hate this shit, they feel so flimsy and I worry about something stabbing through the outer plastic and insert to hit the disk directly if I ever tried to take a disk somewhere with me...

[quote name='Scorch']Chasing Amy is scheduled for April 7th in the US, but I don't have faith in that date. It's definitely getting released that day in Canada. Think it'd be region 1 if I imported? It'd be $14.xx plus shipping which isn't bad.. but Amazon.com doesn't even have pricing info up for the US version, only "sign up to be notified when this item is available".. so that means either it's delayed or they're not taking preorders, I guess?[/QUOTE]

Canadian Blu-rays are Region A (or free) which means they work in any American BD player. I've purchased several from Amazon.ca with no problems. As for Chasing Amy...she is on order :cool: Be aware most of the discs are 1080i (not p) and usually featureless. Typically a DTS MA track on the disc as well.

So Marley and Me looks only slightly better than the DVD, which looked great to begin with. The additional special features on the blu-ray that aren't on the DVD aren't really that big, but it does as i mentioned before come with that extra DVD :)

The audio isnt much of a change either, but the DVD sounded great too.. so yeah :)

Lol at the industry thinking people throw away the case a disc comes in. There's so much more that could be made recyclable, or even eliminated completely. Like a blister packs for memory card that are 10x the product size and require chainsaws and steel gauntlets to open.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Wait, did Twilight come out on Blu-Ray yet? On amazon it says May 4th :/[/quote]

It's a timed exclusive to Best Buy and Target till May 4th when it hits every where else.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Lol at the industry thinking people throw away the case a disc comes in. There's so much more that could be made recyclable, or even eliminated completely. Like a blister packs for memory card that are 10x the product size and require chainsaws and steel gauntlets to open.[/quote]

Amen, brother.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Wait, did Twilight come out on Blu-Ray yet? On amazon it says May 4th :/[/quote]

It's wide-release is in May. Best Buy and Target got exclusivity until then.

[quote name='DestroVega']can't wait to pick up Venture Bros... too bad they can't release Blu-Rays of the first two seasons.

35 bucks at best buy and 31 on amazon... not cheap[/QUOTE]
Got my copy and I like it a lot. The Blu-ray comes with this bonus music CD of uh music from the series which right now you can only get here and with the Blu-ray. It's a real treat for fans of the series.

IMG_2585-1.jpg

I just bought a lg bh200 combo player. I currently own about 125 hd-dvds and am excited about purchasing my first blu-ray disc. Can anyone suggest a title that will give me the best experience (picture, extras, ect.)? I was thinking about The Dark Knight, but I would appreciate any input so I will have the best experrience with my first purchase.

Thanks for any help, David

[quote name='scarface333']I just bought a lg bh200 combo player. I currently own about 125 hd-dvds and am excited about purchasing my first blu-ray disc. Can anyone suggest a title that will give me the best experience (picture, extras, ect.)? I was thinking about The Dark Knight, but I would appreciate any input so I will have the best experrience with my first purchase.

Thanks for any help, David[/quote]

I would love to get a deal on one of those. However, I can't justify $600 when I have both players already though. I could build a HTPC around $99 Multi-drive for that.

What kinds of genres do you like before we begin to offer any suggestions. I picked up FEAST for $2 and thought it was entertaining for $2- but I enjoy campy horror flicks like ED2 . . .etc. The Pixar movies are stunning on Blu-Ray if you are interested.

[quote name='scarface333']I just bought a lg bh200 combo player. I currently own about 125 hd-dvds and am excited about purchasing my first blu-ray disc. Can anyone suggest a title that will give me the best experience (picture, extras, ect.)? I was thinking about The Dark Knight, but I would appreciate any input so I will have the best experrience with my first purchase.

Transformers gave me a heck of an experience. Maybe I'm biased but there are a lot of action in that movie though.

Wall-E

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Got my copy and I like it a lot. The Blu-ray comes with this bonus music CD of uh music from the series which right now you can only get here and with the Blu-ray. It's a real treat for fans of the series.

IMG_2585-1.jpg
[/quote]

I'm gonna order it from Amazon

[quote name='DestroVega']can't wait to pick up Venture Bros... too bad they can't release Blu-Rays of the first two seasons.

35 bucks at best buy and 31 on amazon... not cheap[/QUOTE]

Why can't they be released on BD?

Those Bond blu-rays are highway robbery. Well...technically EVERYTHING Blu-Ray related is highway robbery. You can get the entire 20 movie set on DVD for what they want for like 6 Blu-Rays.

As you pointed out, the same can be said for a lot of things on Blu-ray. Fact is, the Bond movies look really, really good in high-def. I had rented From Russia with Love when it first came out, and I was blown away. I had to get them.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Those Bond blu-rays are highway robbery. Well...technically EVERYTHING Blu-Ray related is highway robbery. You can get the entire 20 movie set on DVD for what they want for like 6 Blu-Rays.[/QUOTE]

This week's Target ad has all of the 3/24 Bond releases at $14.99 (and hints of the others also being on sale) which is a pretty amazing price for BR. And yeah, they are TOTALLY worth it, they're great remasters (and great movies).

Yeah, I have the first six, and they are some of the favorite parts of my collection. Of course, I got them back when Amazon had that really good sale last year, so I got them for about $8 a piece. Still, I would have gladly paid more, eventually.

I highly recommend slumdog millionaire. Near reference video/audio, decent special features.

Movie isnt all its cracked up to be in my opinion, but still.

I really liked Slumdog but it can't possibly live up to all of the hype it's received for those who haven't seen it yet. What movie could?

[quote name='sendme']Why can't they be released on BD?[/quote]

They only started producing the show in HD for Season 3, there wouldn't be a PQ upgrade if they released seasons 1 and 2 on blu.

Really?! When does that go into service? My membership terms still say $1. If they really increase it another $3, I'll be dropping BD and just using Netflix for the streaming and occasional DVD rental.

EDIT: Just read it starts April 27th. What bullshit. The story I read only mentioned plans of 2 or more movies out at a time, though, and a sliding scale of increased BD fees. Does anyone know what they will charge for the unlimited one movie plan?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Really?! When does that go into service? My membership terms still say $1. If they really increase it another $3, I'll be dropping BD and just using Netflix for the streaming and occasional DVD rental.

EDIT: Just read it starts April 27th. What bullshit. The story I read only mentioned plans of 2 or more movies out at a time, though, and a sliding scale of increased BD fees. Does anyone know what they will charge for the unlimited one movie plan?[/quote]

I'm on the 1 DVD at a time plan and the increase is an additional $1 on top of the $1 they raised it a few months ago.

[quote name='guyver2077']jesus.. did netflix just increase their price again for bd access?

its now an additional $4 instead of $1. thats a big increase[/quote]

Weak...I'll be dropping them as well.

EDIT: It was $1 for me, but I haven't been using the service as much as I should so, I'm out.

I was about to ask Glock where he was getting this information before, and then I checked my mail. What a bunch of nonsense. They are using the "frog in boiling water" approach to get us to keep paying for this small increases.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I was about to ask Glock where he was getting this information before, and then I checked my mail. What a bunch of nonsense. They are using the "frog in boiling water" approach to get us to keep paying for this small increases.[/quote]

Gotta agree there.

Just in case nobody saw the email yet:

[FONT=arial,helvetica]You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 1 DVD at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $2 a month. The price of your 1 DVD at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is not changing and remains at $8.99 a month.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]The new charge for Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after April 27, 2009 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]If you wish to continue unlimited Blu-ray access for $2 a month, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account.

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-923-0898.

-The Netflix Team
[/FONT]
I like how they just shoved a 20%+ price increase up our collective asses with these 2 increases. I'm thinking netflix is going to go the way of my HBO and Sirius subscriptions. The first increase I could deal with, but I think I'm out with this 2nd one. We were probably only getting through 1 disc a month and as nice as the streaming on the 360 sounds I never used it.

bread's done
Back