Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

He needs to hook us up too. ;)

Oh well... I'll make it til next week without Bug's Life sitting in my Blu collection.

Yay!!! Taken has shipped out from Blockbuster Online today. :)

I'm new to Blu-Ray, so hopefully this isn't a "stupid question", but are they all so painfully slow to load?!? I rented The Spirit from Hollywood Video and when I put the disc in it takes no less than 5 minutes to que up the first preview...

[quote name='HERETOSTAY']Amazon wont credit be the $3 price drop on Taken since my order has already shipped. What kind of shenanigans is this?

I guess I have to wait for them to pricematch BestBuy on Monday morning before I order in the future. That sucks.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I don't order from the, anymore on release week. You pre-order you get fucked. I won't play their games anymore.

[quote name='nasum']I'm new to Blu-Ray, so hopefully this isn't a "stupid question", but are they all so painfully slow to load?!? I rented The Spirit from Hollywood Video and when I put the disc in it takes no less than 5 minutes to que up the first preview...[/QUOTE]

What player are you using?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']He reviews movies...he gets hooked up.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Demolition Man']He needs to hook us up too. ;)

Oh well... I'll make it til next week without Bug's Life sitting in my Blu collection.

Yay!!! Taken has shipped out from Blockbuster Online today. :)[/QUOTE]

Just watched this - easily a 5 for AQ and leaning towards a 5 for PQ. Simply amazing.

[quote name='nasum']I'm new to Blu-Ray, so hopefully this isn't a "stupid question", but are they all so painfully slow to load?!? I rented The Spirit from Hollywood Video and when I put the disc in it takes no less than 5 minutes to que up the first preview...[/quote]

That happened to me with '88 Minutes'...couldn't believe it took so long to load, I thought it was a defective disc for sure.

Have there been any deals on the 2 new Bond movies due out this week? (Licence to Kill and Man With The Golden Gun) And there were no Steelbook editions for these, were there? (guess my buying Steelbook editions ends with a whimper)

[quote name='Justin42']Have there been any deals on the 2 new Bond movies due out this week? (Licence to Kill and Man With The Golden Gun) And there were no Steelbook editions for these, were there? (guess my buying Steelbook editions ends with a whimper)[/QUOTE]

Nope, no deals.

No Steelbooks. No Volume 4.

MGM fucked the pooch with these releases. I'm pissed.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Just watched this - easily a 5 for AQ and leaning towards a 5 for PQ. Simply amazing.[/QUOTE]

The few screen caps on DVD Beaver are simply jaw dropping. Mind you this is coming from someone who spent $50 for the two disc DVD edition back in 2001 because it was OOP and felt the PQ on that was jaw dropping back then.

..... yeah, $50. I certainly didn't live the CAG life back then. :lol:

Watch out because it looks like Disney has started their increase pricing now. Amazon is listing some of the newly announced Disney Blu's for $31.49 (Monster's Inc.) MSRP's look to be $44.99 now.

[quote name='xbox_mole']Watch out because it looks like Disney has started their increase pricing now. Amazon is listing some of the newly announced Disney Blu's for $31.49 (Monster's Inc.) MSRP's look to be $44.99 now.[/QUOTE]

Disney could very well change that since Amazon's listing as of right now does not even have a release date.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Just watched this - easily a 5 for AQ and leaning towards a 5 for PQ. Simply amazing.[/QUOTE]

That seals today's purchase, then.

[quote name='GizmoGC']What player are you using?[/QUOTE]

Samsung P1600. I originally wanted to get the 2550 model but I couldn't find it anywhere locally, the only other option was the 3600 model which was only $20 less than a PS3 and didn't really seem justified to me. Really the only difference was the inclusion of the USB WiFi adapter, 1GB of memory on-board and the analog 7.1 out.

any reviews on the Star Trek motion picture collection on BR? Thinking of either picking it up now or waiting for a complete box set containing all 10 movies.

[quote name='ITDEFX']any reviews on the Star Trek motion picture collection on BR? Thinking of either picking it up now or waiting for a complete box set containing all 10 movies.[/QUOTE]

Iffy overall, but very good PQ/AQ compared to the DVDs. Trek 2 has 10/10's across the board with a full new remastering, but the rest are getting just "okay" reviews overall.

According to the Digital Bits rumor mill there will be a TNG movie collection box by the end of the year, so I don't know if a set with all 10 will be around until sometime in 2010 if that happens.

[quote name='dg7md']Iffy overall, but very good PQ/AQ compared to the DVDs. Trek 2 has 10/10's across the board with a full new remastering, but the rest are getting just "okay" reviews overall.

According to the Digital Bits rumor mill there will be a TNG movie collection box by the end of the year, so I don't know if a set with all 10 will be around until sometime in 2010 if that happens.[/QUOTE]

Knowing paramount, they WILL package all these in one big box set. They just love reboxing all the movies over and over.

Picked up:
Star Trek Motion Picture Collection
Taken
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Force 10 from Navarone
Man with the Golden Gun
Licence to Kill
Major League
There's Something About Mary

[quote name='ITDEFX']any reviews on the Star Trek motion picture collection on BR? Thinking of either picking it up now or waiting for a complete box set containing all 10 movies.[/QUOTE]

My review copy of the Collection just came in and I've flipped through all 6 discs.

Basically, this is one of those tough calls that depends on how much you analyze the transfers. For me, for how much I love these old movies, it's a no-brainer -- they look so much better than the DVDs, even with whatever processing they used, that the upgrade is appreciable. They didn't restore all of them on the level of something like BLADE RUNNER, and yes they used a bit of noise reduction to gloss over the image, but unless you are watching on a 100 foot screen I think most fans would appreciate the HD quality of the films.

If you're a casual fan, I could see waiting for a price reduction if nothing else. And yeah, we all know how much Paramount loves to recycle, repackage, re-supplement (is that a word? lol) and on and on. That said I don't think there's going to be a Director's Cut of ST-TMP in the near future -- this is going to be it for now.

Overall I don't think Amazon's $79 price for the 6 movies on BD is outrageous. If you're a fan, go for it. If you are somewhat interested, maybe wait for another price reduction.

I was pretty disappointed in Ben Button, thank goodness for netflix! If I had seen this in the theater, I'd have fallen asleep well before it ended, and shelling out $25 for the BR? Ouch. It was well acted and well-shot, but the story is clumsy and plodding (yeah take that F. Scott Fitzgerald! hehe, J/K I blame the screenplay/script) and the film's overall pacing was equally slow. You can see a lot of things coming a mile away, but unfortunately Fincher decided to go literal with whole age thing and uses walker to get there. At least Cate Blanchett looked fantastic and in dancer's shape (where she was age-appropriate of course).

BR-wise, the PQ looked fine to me, but I felt the soundtrack was too muted, even for a primarily vocal track. Everyone talks in fake Louisiana drawls, and they do a lot of whispering and mumbling which made it even worse.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']If you're a casual fan, I could see waiting for a price reduction if nothing else. And yeah, we all know how much Paramount loves to recycle, repackage, re-supplement (is that a word? lol) and on and on. That said I don't think there's going to be a Director's Cut of ST-TMP in the near future -- this is going to be it for now.

Overall I don't think Amazon's $79 price for the 6 movies on BD is outrageous. If you're a fan, go for it. If you are somewhat interested, maybe wait for another price reduction.[/QUOTE]

You are right on how Paramount keep rehashing the same titles over and over. Look at how many times they have rehased "Grease" alone just on DVD. I wouldn't be shocked when the next film in this ST reboot is (or even the third one) is when we might see the next rehash of the original ST films on Blu this time with the extended cuts for 2/6 plus some kind of either new effects upscaled to HD or redone for HD edition of the TMP: Directors Cut.

Which means for now I'll just hold on to my DVDs. Heck I didn't bother upgrading from my Laserdisc editions of 1-6 until the 2 disc DVDs came out so I can manage to wait a bit longer until Paramount gets it at least close to what I consider "good enough."

Thanks for the input guys about the ST BR discs! I wonder if the menus are exactly the same as the 2 disc releases?? I guess I am going to wait this one out then.

I so want the 6-disc ST set, but with Fry's having it for $60 in several locations... EXCEPT MINE... I'm not buying it atm. Even from Amazon, since I have to pay tax. :p

Now if Fry's would get off the shnide and sell the BR set for $60 in Renton, I'd SO make the trip! Word is soda was only 99 cents a 6-pack at least last Wed. as part of the 25th Ann. too.

[quote name='VipFREAK']What happened to Equilbrium!? :([/QUOTE]

What? Was it ever scheduled to be released in the US? Amazon.co.uk has the UK version for right around $22 shipped to the US and it's region free..

Amazon UK is awesome. That's how I picked up my copy of Almost Famous on BR :)

I thought it was?! I saw it for pre-order on Amazon... I thought for like the end of the month or so? Now it says discontinued.

Hmm... ok, cool maybe I'll do Amazon UK. Thanks.

I wonder if the blade movies will ever get a blu ray release. All I want is blade 1 and 2, they can keep the 3rd film. Yuck, Ryan Renolds, I hate you.

Batman will be out this week as well. It makes no sense for WB not to release Batman Returns at the same time with them both being Tim Burton films.

[quote name='Proofplayer']I wonder if the blade movies will ever get a blu ray release. All I want is blade 1 and 2, they can keep the 3rd film. Yuck, Ryan Renolds, I hate you.[/QUOTE]

Blade arrives on Blu-ray June 2nd...in Canada only.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Blade arrives on Blu-ray June 2nd...in Canada only.[/QUOTE]

Oh awesome, Blade is the best movie of the trilogy. I'd buy it just for the opening scene. :)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I guess $45 is the best there is for 24 S7.[/QUOTE]

Yep.... which isn't too bad at all. Now $27.99 on Bug's Life.... that sucks. I'm tempted to wait on Bug's Life for a better deal. Especially since its a catalog title.

Picking up Bug's Life (which should be listed as the top release this week IMHO), Enemy at the Gates and Spy Game.

Eventually and on sale I'd like to pick up Terminator 2 (Skynet), Paycheck, 3 Days of the Condor and Valkyrie ($28 is just too much...)

Next week is pretty much the best catalog week ever with Children of Men, Cinderella Man, Seabiscuit, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Field of Dreams all must buys for me.

6/2 (Defiance, Glory, FFVII: AC, Air Force One) and 6/9 (International, Gran Torino, Predator 2) are looking solid as well.

I'm trying to hold off buying any more BRs until July-ish. Hoping DD will have another 20% off sale and every other place will do their PMs accordingly. Yeah, it's hit or miss as far as really good deals, but sometimes there's a winner or two to come out of it.

:p

Yea, bug's life is a must own. These Pixar films just look so incredible on :br: and with a kid, they are no-brainers for the replay value. :pray: let there be a MIR or coupon for it. please.

[quote name='guyver2077']nice.. i guess thats why inetvideo has it for preorder...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the first BLADE was awesome. I disliked Del Toro's sequel and the third one was lame too...but the original...yeah I'd see that again on Blu-Ray :)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']At the least we know it has a free movie ticket to see UP...that right there alone is worth it.[/QUOTE]

You know I completely forgot about the movie cash included with Bug's Life. That alone just made the $27.99 a bit easier.... then again, I did pay $50 for the 2 disc DVD when it was OOP so why am I wincing at $28 for the Bluray I have no idea. :lol:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn, it was going for $50 :shock: I would have sold mine.[/QUOTE]

It was well back in 2001/2002 or so. Mine is the thick double case edition with this cover:

51449rieLHL._SX280_SH35_.jpg

(Okay its the Region 2 cover pictured but its still the same except for the rating certification on the bottom)

At the time that edition was the only way to get the film with the anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1 transfer which was also Disney's first pure digital transfer. The single disc had a 4x3 letterbox edition on it. The difference in quality between the two was certainly worth the extra money to me back then. From the few screencaps I've seen the new Blu-Ray makes the back then amazing looking anamorphic edition look like VHS.

If anything the only thing missing extra wise of value on the new Blu-Ray is the isolated score track. I'm assuming the "Finding Nemo" promo stuff that was added on the re-released 2 disc SE isn't on the Blu-Ray but that is no loss to me there.

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, all the copies we received last week of Paul Blart: Mall Cop come with a coupon for a free cinnamon roll at Cinnabon .. lol

bread's done
Back