Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

I figure this might be the best thread to ask.

What is the cheapest way to rent Blu Rays? Been using Netflix ever since Christmas when I got my PS3.
I'm going to imagine this might be the best way, sadly. It's only like $11 a month I'm paying.. but sometimes we only get a chance to watch 1-3 movies a month. Going to blockbuster would be just as expensive....I don't even know how much they cost their these days.

I have a few Redboxes available. Are the Redboxes with blu ray more available? I can search the website for locations..but it doesn't say it has Blu. I'm going to guess if you click on a location it would mention they had blu rays? :whistle2:k

i noticed bb and amazon have t2 skynet for 19.49/19.99

worth it? does it still not match the t2 german hddvd?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guyver2077']i noticed bb and amazon have t2 skynet for 19.49/19.99

worth it? does it still not match the t2 german hddvd?[/QUOTE]

I heard it's worse.

That they didn't do anything but scrub the current Blu release.

[quote name='Sporadic']I heard it's worse.

That they didn't do anything but scrub the current Blu release.[/QUOTE]

Wow really? I may just have to search out the German HD DVD release then. Someone here had one in the trading forum but for the life of me, I can no longer find it.

[quote name='DX']Wow really? I may just have to search out the German HD DVD release then. Someone here had one in the trading forum but for the life of me, I can no longer find it.[/QUOTE]

I have the German HD-DVD. Honestly there's not much difference between this BD and that transfer. Not worth the added expense IMO.

[quote name='NickSC07']5 copies of T2 at Best Buy today, all floaters. Ending up just getting A Bug's Life.[/QUOTE]
Were you sure they were floaters? I thought all of them were at my best buy but when I opened it up there was a gift card thing for some online shop.

Pedro Cerrano
AKA President David Palmer, AKA Sergeant Major Jonas "Snake Doctor" Blane
does not like your tone.

PedroCerrano.jpg

[quote name='fieldkillah']Were you sure they were floaters? I thought all of them were at my best buy but when I opened it up there was a gift card thing for some online shop.[/QUOTE]

That might have been the case. In fact, your probably right. I might have to go back later in the week and get a copy.

Agreed. After seeing another movie I ducked in to watch a few minutes of it. I can't even begin to describe how bad it was. It could have been written by a couple of jr. high kids.

Just ordered 24 S7 & A Bug's Life...I told myself I was going to wait but Up comes out next week and I know I'll be watching it...and 24 S7 for $45 is a damn good deal for 24hrs of goodness.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just ordered 24 S7 & A Bug's Life...I told myself I was going to wait but Up comes out next week and I know I'll be watching it...and 24 S7 for $45 is a damn good deal for 24hrs of goodness.[/QUOTE]

I got a feeling we'll see better deals on 24 S7 the closer we get to S8. I can understand why Fox is releasing the season now but for me I won't be rewatching it until close to S8. So I'll just wait.

[quote name='lilboo']I figure this might be the best thread to ask.

What is the cheapest way to rent Blu Rays? Been using Netflix ever since Christmas when I got my PS3.
I'm going to imagine this might be the best way, sadly. It's only like $11 a month I'm paying.. but sometimes we only get a chance to watch 1-3 movies a month. Going to blockbuster would be just as expensive....I don't even know how much they cost their these days.

I have a few Redboxes available. Are the Redboxes with blu ray more available? I can search the website for locations..but it doesn't say it has Blu. I'm going to guess if you click on a location it would mention they had blu rays? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I too would love to know how common redboxes with Blu-Rays are because as far as I can tell, none of the redboxes in my area carry Blu-Rays.

I'm starting to use the service more often, but still am forced to go to Blockbuster when I want to rent Blu. :???:

Best Buy has put past seasons of 24 up on sale for BF as well as during the holiday season, so it wouldn't surprise me if we see cheaper prices for S7 on BR & DVD as we get to that point, plus when S8 launches.

Maybe it's just my luck, but in my Bug's Life I see nothing about a so-called free ticket/download code to see Up. Came from Amazon BTW.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I missed out on watching it on TV so it's perfect for me :D[/QUOTE]

yes, I hope you enjoy this season. This show is meant to be watched on DVD instead of waiting one whole week to find out what happens next. However, I usually watch it on TV anyway because it is hard to wait. Plus I plan on watching it again on Blu-Ray anyway.

[quote name='dg7md']Maybe it's just my luck, but in my Bug's Life I see nothing about a so-called free ticket/download code to see Up. Came from Amazon BTW.[/QUOTE]

Lot of people on DVD Talk saying they didn't get the ticket from Amazon.

I "thought" I didn't get one from BB even though there was clearly a sticker on it. Called Buena Vista and they said to scan the receipt and fax it in and they will e-mail me a code. (I found my code in the trash BTW...stupid inserts lol)

Interesting idea what Fox did with the 24 release. Wasn't a huge fan of the season (beginning and end caps were okay, middle epi's were awesome) so I won't pick it up. Hopefully they re-release season 5 on blu-ray because that was hands down, the best season of 24 ever.

[quote name='CombatCraig']Lot of people on DVD Talk saying they didn't get the ticket from Amazon.

I "thought" I didn't get one from BB even though there was clearly a sticker on it. Called Buena Vista and they said to scan the receipt and fax it in and they will e-mail me a code. (I found my code in the trash BTW...stupid inserts lol)[/QUOTE]

I saw them at Target yesterday and none of them had the sticker...mine should be coming from Amazon today...I'm concerned but if it's not included I'm definitely emailing Buena Vista...just hope its a code they email you so I can watch it next weekend.

[quote name='nasum']Samsung P1600. I originally wanted to get the 2550 model but I couldn't find it anywhere locally, the only other option was the 3600 model which was only $20 less than a PS3 and didn't really seem justified to me. Really the only difference was the inclusion of the USB WiFi adapter, 1GB of memory on-board and the analog 7.1 out.[/QUOTE]

I just picked this up a few days ago. I love the p1600, the picture quality is amazing. I'm new to the blu-ray scene but so far I'm loving it and questioning myself why I watched dvd's so much when I have a 1080p hdtv.

Yeah, I was posting that more for the benefit of those that have access to a Fry's location. My nearest Fry's is 15 miles away but the BB in the opposite direction (and closer to me) always PM's them for me. Fry's has Layer Cake BR for $10 this week and I'll be able to get it at BB for $8.50 after PM.

No 'UP' ticket in my 'A Bug's Life' :whistle2:(

Just sent an email to Buena Vista Blu-Ray support...we'll see what happens. Only reason why I bit at $28 too :wall:

I love the T2: Skynet Edition, but it won't connect to the net, always errors out at the beginning. I'm watching it on my PS3 which is always connected to the net, so I don't see why this is happening, anyone else with the same deal?

[quote name='HCHecxz']I love the T2: Skynet Edition, but it won't connect to the net, always errors out at the beginning. I'm watching it on my PS3 which is always connected to the net, so I don't see why this is happening, anyone else with the same deal?[/QUOTE]

same prob.. havent tried though since last week

I agree the PS3 is worthless after all, but selling your 60gb PS3? might be a bad idea. I've been trying to avoid it too. To remedy that I bought a wired 360 controller and cross battle adapter. xD

The Samsung BDP-1600 isn't too bad--amazon has it for $176 shipped w/4 BR discs (separate thread), but honestly, I think you should keep the PS3 as you already own the best BR player for the money, IMO. Any BR player that meets or exceeds the PS3 is going to cost at least $300 I believe...

It might've been an easier decision to switch during the last few months of 2008 as there were a number of low to mid-end BR players going for really cheap (in comparison to now anyway). I remember you could get a Sony S350 for like just under $200.

LP: what audio is your receiver capable of outputting? How important are BD-Live features to you?

I ask because the Sony BDP 350 is marked down to $150 at Targets on clearance.

[quote name='gunm']Hm, for $150, I'd seriously consider just adding the S350 as a secondary player--thanks for the heads up manthing.[/QUOTE]

I had one in my hands yesterday, but then I remembered I already have a back-up :br: player, the PS3.

:cool:

Oh, The Sky Crawlers is out. I don't like how Sony is marketing it as some kind of rousing action film as it is actually not that all.

[quote name='manthing']LP: what audio is your receiver capable of outputting? How important are BD-Live features to you?

I ask because the Sony BDP 350 is marked down to $150 at Targets on clearance.[/QUOTE]

7.1 and I could care less about BD-Live features...unless they are used to unlock free movie tickets like 'The Davinci Code'...can the firmware be upgraded?

Good to see the release slating opening up. A couple rentals for me, with less than a handful of buys. Thanks OP for reminding us of the new releases!

bread's done
Back