Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

[quote name='LinkinPrime']7.1 and I could care less about BD-Live features...unless they are used to unlock free movie tickets like 'The Davinci Code'...can the firmware be upgraded?[/QUOTE]

So it appears you don't know which audio codecs your sound system can use.

And yes, the 350's frimware can be upgraded, but I'm not sure if Sony has released any new firmware.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']7.1 and I could care less about BD-Live features...unless they are used to unlock free movie tickets like 'The Davinci Code'...can the firmware be upgraded?[/QUOTE]

The S350 can do firmware updates and can do BD-Live.

[quote name='manthing']So it appears you don't know which audio codecs your sound system can use.

And yes, the 350's frimware can be upgraded, but I'm not sure if Sony has released any new firmware.[/QUOTE]

Oh that...

DTS 96/24 - DTS, DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6 DTS Neo:6 Dolby ProLogic IIx - Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II Dolby Digital EX

Thanks Gunm...I'll have to search my local Targets this week.

I hate standalones compared to the PS3.. they load up so much slower and you have to upgrade the firmware often.. those that aren't BD-Live enabled, anyway.

[quote name='Scorch']I hate standalones compared to the PS3.. they load up so much slower and you have to upgrade the firmware often.. those that aren't BD-Live enabled, anyway.[/QUOTE]

The S350 is BD-Live enabled. Most BD players in stores now are.

[quote name='guyver2077']anyone found any deals on those wire stands that hold dvd's/blurays or is the best place to buy still at bb instore?[/QUOTE]

Wire stands suck. They wind up bending which puts strain on the cases and sometimes the discs inside.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Wire stands suck. They wind up bending which puts strain on the cases and sometimes the discs inside.[/QUOTE]

well atleast the BB one seem ok... they are meant for dvd's so the bd cases actually are pretty loose in them and move around easily..

been looking for an alternative for a while now

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn Snow White is getting all kinds of double dips:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_lin..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=475733611&pf_rd_i=193640011[/QUOTE]

That Limited Edition Collectors Set is way too much. $124 more to add a box, a few lithographs, a book, and a few pins..... no thanks. That set should be at most $50-60 tops. Suddenly the $80 or so I spent on the Harry Potter HD-DVD boxset with all five films, several bonus discs, and other things looks far better now.

Then again at least I'm not a Neil Young fan who can justify $279 or whatever for that archival Bluray thing coming out. What a fucking ripoff.

I'm having a hard enough time justifying buying Snow White, but I do want a complete Disney animated BR collection..

..it'd just be pretty rockin' if they could hurry up with Aladdin and Lion King.

I already plan on buying Snow White here. Just sold off my 2 disc DVD edition before it drops in price. God the PQ on that edition was stunning back when it first came out. I hear ya Scorch on Disney needing to hurry up with Aladdin and Lion King. If the Disney Channel HD airing is any indication Aladdin will look nothing short of phenominal on Blu when it does come out.

[quote name='manthing']I just wish Disney would release it's classics at least quarterly, instead of Easter and X-mas time.[/QUOTE]

If they're falling their quoted Platinum "plan" we probably won't see Lion King until October 2011 and Aladdin until October 2012.

[quote name='CombatCraig']If they're falling their quoted Platinum "plan" we probably won't see Lion King until October 2011 and Aladdin until October 2012.[/QUOTE]

And we probably won't see Little Mermaid on :br: ever. :roll:

Yeah, I noticed that they're releasing them in the same order as the DVD's...Beauty and The Beast should be coming up pretty soon.

All girly movies until Lion King & Aladdin :whistle2:(

I was checking out amazon for upcoming releases and saw prison break is next week but they didn't have a blu ray release has anyone heard anything or about the release of season 2 on bluray? It kinda sucks that I get the first and third on blu but not the others.

[quote name='bill123']I was checking out amazon for upcoming releases and saw prison break is next week but they didn't have a blu ray release has anyone heard anything or about the release of season 2 on bluray? It kinda sucks that I get the first and third on blu but not the others.[/QUOTE]

Poor sales nixed Season 2 and 4. A complete series is likely but no individually.

I stopped buying Office on DVD... as long as I have netflix I get them all in HD anyways on the stream. probably buy the entire set at some point on the cheap long after it's off the air.

Jeez a double post two days apart!...

Girl Next Door coming to Blu September 1... score..

Also, how good is Dark City on Blu?... movie wise and PQ/AQ.... amazon has it for 13 bucks. I've never seen it but feel it would be something I dig.

Revolutionary Road was pretty good. fucked up, but pretty good. Harsh look on a couple and their problems. Their fight scenes were incredibly acted.

[quote name='DestroVega']I stopped buying Office on DVD... as long as I have netflix I get them all in HD anyways on the stream. probably buy the entire set at some point on the cheap long after it's off the air.[/QUOTE]

netflix has me spoiled as well with tv shows.. dont have a need to continue to buy the heroes seasons now..(unless real cheap down the line).

digitalbabe posted the new 25% wb store coupon.. preordered turtles and watchmen :)

I preordered Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves during that Warner 3-for-2 sale as a blind buy. Some of the reviews say the DNR is pretty bad, like the movie had been sandblasted. Anyone seen it first hand before I open it? Is it at the very least still better looking that the last DVD release?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']....wow if u want it take it then.

All i tried to do was make it interesting and draw more people to the thread.
smile7.jpg

BUt its always great to wake up to a post like this from a mod. Always great.[/QUOTE]
How is it interesting and drawing more people in when you're not listing any titles?

im not sure if im posting this in the right place but if not move it..... anyways im curious to know if japanese blu rays have subtitles.... id really appreciate if some1 could answer bcuz i wanna get code geass on blu ray but cant..

[quote name='toxicinzanity']im not sure if im posting this in the right place but if not move it..... anyways im curious to know if japanese blu rays have subtitles.... id really appreciate if some1 could answer bcuz i wanna get code geass on blu ray but cant..[/QUOTE]

The Jp Code Geass Bluray doesn't have Sub.

Check for more info: CDjapan

[quote name='toxicinzanity']im not sure if im posting this in the right place but if not move it..... anyways im curious to know if japanese blu rays have subtitles.... id really appreciate if some1 could answer bcuz i wanna get code geass on blu ray but cant..[/QUOTE]

It depends on the studio and type of release. Major studios for live-action movies (especially foreign movies) will usually have a subtitle track, often both English and Japanese. Most anime releases (both DVD and BD) will not have a subtitle track (such as those released by Bandai Visual). Releases by Disney for DVD and Blu-ray have had subtitle tracks, so there's a good chance that when they begin their Ghibli releases (starting with Ponyo), there will be subtitles.

Also, the Code Geass series on DVD and BD by Bandai Visual does not have any subtitles, Japanese nor any other language.

[quote name='DestroVega']Also, how good is Dark City on Blu?... movie wise and PQ/AQ.... amazon has it for 13 bucks. I've never seen it but feel it would be something I dig.[/QUOTE]

It's been DNR'd to all hell. Search for the thread about it on AVSforums

[quote name='lolwut?']It's been DNR'd to all hell. Search for the thread about it on AVSforums[/QUOTE]

Indeed some of those pics have the loss of detail and plastic look. When the film is set into motion on my HTC it becomes less apparent, to me anyways.

It's worth $12 (IMHO) if you don't have the DVD or haven't seen it and that's it. The movie is great, a far more interesting storyline than The Matrix and better acted (again IMHO).

However, if a better version is ever released I will certainly pick it up over this one.

[quote name='Scorch']Revolutionary Road was pretty good. fucked up, but pretty good. Harsh look on a couple and their problems. Their fight scenes were incredibly acted.[/QUOTE]

This was the biggest downer of a movie I've seen in some time. Well made and VERY well acted, but fuck I don't think I would want to sit through it again.

[quote name='DestroVega']I stopped buying Office on DVD... as long as I have netflix I get them all in HD anyways on the stream. probably buy the entire set at some point on the cheap long after it's off the air.[/QUOTE]

To be honest the HD version on Netflix looks pretty identical to the DVD release. I'm in for season 5 on Blu tho.

Anyone have a LG 390? My Ps3 is dying (20 gig launch) and I don't really play games anymore, so was looking for a good player.

plus it would be cool to watch netflix on something that doesn't sound like an airplane taking off (my xbox 360)

i have a popcorn hour for streaming things from my computer, but if this does it better always nice to have one less thing in the setup

[quote name='dinovelvet']Wouldn't that be Bru-Lay ? :)[/QUOTE]

Typo guys and the Chinese knock-off is Chu-Nay

So yes no for the Woodstock BLuRay?

bread's done
Back