Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Damn, that Watchmen steelbook is pretty damn nice. Is there any group buy planned for that? I noticed Futureshop doesn't ship to the states (which is why there are group buys, duh).

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Keep an eye on HighDefDigest.com...they do group buys there a lot.[/QUOTE]

That and IncediPinoy here does ridiculous Steelbook orders.

I just became aware that Best Buy has this exclusive :br: and apparently it's rare...I scored a copy yesterday :bouncy:

31PBLLnD%2BsL._SL500_AA178_.jpg

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just became aware that Best Buy has this exclusive :br: and apparently it's rare...I scored a copy yesterday :bouncy:

31PBLLnD%2BsL._SL500_AA178_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Too bad it's just an okay setlist.

FINALLY! I cannot wait to see Gladiator on BD. The DVD already looks and sounds amazing.

As for Watchmen, I'm definitely renting the DC now and waiting for the Ultimate Edition. If it never comes, I'll break down and buy the DC eventually.

Here's what Paramount announced for these new "Sapphire" series discs:

Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio track for Braveheart and DTS-HD MA for Gladiator.
Gladiator will include the ability to tag elements while watching the main disc, which will then automatically queue up more information once the second supplemental disc is loaded into the player, while Braveheart's extras focus mostly on the history of the Scottish Rebellion with 3D models and interactive timelines.

Interesting, but still not sure $40 MSRP ($28 online) is appropriate for a catalog title.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm going to be pissed when they release a movie I want in a digibook...those things look absolutely atrocious.[/QUOTE]

I'd expect all Warner classics to come in that garbage. My Shawshank looks like shit next to all of my other discs. Stupid ass Warner.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm going to be pissed when they release a movie I want in a digibook...those things look absolutely atrocious.[/QUOTE]I'll make sure to suggest it when Transformers 2 comes out on BR. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']I'll make sure to suggest it when Transformers 2 comes out on BR. ;)[/QUOTE]

:nottalking:

I'd be forced to buy a blank :br: case and have some custom artwork saved on a USB stick for a trip to Kinko's ;)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']:nottalking:

I'd be forced to buy a blank :br: case and have some custom artwork saved on a USB stick for a trip to Kinko's ;)[/QUOTE]

I think you're in the clear Link. I believe that only WB is doing the DigiBooks.

For these older releases where there isn't much video or interactive material around for the films (IE Amadeaus, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) I don't mind them. Especially since they aren't charging much (if any) of a premium for them; Newer releases like The Matrix are a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
WB always buckin' the trend.:roll: They did the same thing with DVD with those snap flaps. I hated those things because they were a little wider and you couldn't replace a case since the cover image is printed on it. What they're doing with BR is even worse.

[quote name='gunm']Probably OT, but damn it I hate those fuck ing snap flags![/QUOTE]

Strangely enough, I have several kids movie cases with those. They make my 3 & 1/2 y.o. furious.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Strangely enough, I have several kids movie cases with those. They make my 3 & 1/2 y.o. furious.[/QUOTE]

They're just shitty and unnecessary. Especially the HD-DVD single-flag ones. They don't even close correctly.

Worse than a digi book blu ray is the economic blu ray recycled cases.
o870cy.jpg

I have to buy replacements for these.. I can't stand having these in my collection. They're like Transformers. You think they're a normal case.. but then you open it.. bam! :whee:

[quote name='Scorch']Worse than a digi book blu ray is the economic blu ray recycled cases.
o870cy.jpg

I have to buy replacements for these.. I can't stand having these in my collection. They're like Transformers. You think they're a normal case.. but then you open it.. bam! :whee:[/QUOTE]

Those things are terrible; I have a Bond :br: with one of those.

I've heard Taken has it as well, but my copy is sealed.. Let me check. *presses in on back of case* Yep, eco-friendly case. Sigh.

I actually like Digibooks and I am a pretty picky completionist and quite particular on cases. I like the info in the books and it gives them an "epic" feel, this is IMO but it's how I feel.

As for the recycle cases, I don't care because I don't really care about it enough for it to bother me as it's not that different, if it does well for the environment then well, that's awesome.

For the snap cases though... I always hate those, the way Sony uses them in their releases usually bothers me because they never tend to close right.

The snap flaps on the DVD's are breakable...I always thought they were an extra step in anti-theft or even child proof but you can twist them off...never had any issues with them, since I always tore them off.

I really don't understand the hate for Digibooks. I think they are kind of cool actually.

I don't mind the eco cases either, so long as the big black security square doesn't come stuck to my coverart

[quote name='neocisco']WB always buckin' the trend.:roll: They did the same thing with DVD with those snap flaps. I hated those things because they were a little wider and you couldn't replace a case since the cover image is printed on it. What they're doing with BR is even worse.[/QUOTE]

I thought the reason for those snappers was that TW owned the company that made those cases.

When I still kept my DVD cases, I would just rip the covers off, and put it and the disc in a generic DVD/PS2 case.

I just picked up some movies recently that are still in those bullshit cases. :bomb:

It's listed on Amazon but I'm not sure on date, I want to say Winter this year. I want news on the supposed Rome movie that follows the series..

It's a GREAT show!!! I rented it thru Blockbuster. Loved the acting, and Drama!!! :)

A LOT of Sex too!!! :D

I will WAIT for HD!!!

You have exceeded your weekly limit of exclamation points. Further use of any more will result in disciplinary action up to and including being banned.

Did anyone get Burn Notice S2 on :br:? I'm wondering how the PQ is...on USAHD broadcast its horrible...basically looks like SDTV...I'm hoping the transfer to :br: is better.

Ouch... only 2 marks out of 5? I'd stay away like the plague, unless you like getting ripped off or throwing money away. (although, I'm pretty strict when it comes to Blu Ray review's standards) Nothing below 4 marks out of 5.

hNow that we're getting closer to the release has anyone heard anything about the BSG complete series on bluray? I'd really like to know.

Honestly, I didn't know what forum to post this under but, I figured CAG was my best bet to get help. I've never Imported any game or Movie before, so I'm not really savvy with any kind of region codes.

Here's my situation and yes I realize I probably seem crazy
I'm a HUGE fan of the movie Tropic Thunder, it's probably my favorite movie of the last couple years. I was ultra giddy when the Blu-ray came out only to realize that it does not include the Theatrical Cut of the film, only Directors Cut. While I still enjoy the Directors cut, I really want to enjoy the same cut I saw in theaters in HD on my TV.

I've found that other countries have gotten the Theatrical Cut on Blu Ray, so I'm looking to import it. Based on what I've found, the UK version is region locked, however from what I can tell, the Chinese version is not. From what I can tell from the Play-Asia site, if I import it, it'll be in English and it even seems to come with a digital copy. I was wondering if you guys could help me out and anyone who is familiar with importing let me know if ordering this Blu Ray will just be a waste of $40.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bx-49-en-70-3bgb.html

That's the Chinese Version which seems like it will play in my PS3. Thanks for the help guys and sorry if this is the wrong board.

From a little research, it appears that the UK release is region free; however, it appears to be the Director's Cut.

The Hong Kong release is Region A and will play in your PS3, but I could not find confirmation if it's the theatrical cut, sorry.

But every other country seems to have the Director's Cut, so I don't think I would take the chance without definite confirmation from someone who has it.

I've got a similar problem. Transporter 2 was released in Japan and Europe with an "uncut" version. I recently tried to buy a copy on Ebay, but got outbid in the final 5 seconds so I couldn't even try another bid. And I've been unable to determine a shop where I can buy the uncut version. The easiest way I've found to tell the difference, is the uncut copies have Frank between the woman's legs, instead of Frank as the main image. It then mentions uncut on the front as well.

Anyone seen where I might buy a copy? I can play it on my computers if it won't play on the PS3.

[quote name='merkman']I've got a similar problem. Transporter 2 was released in Japan and Europe with an "uncut" version. I recently tried to buy a copy on Ebay, but got outbid in the final 5 seconds so I couldn't even try another bid. And I've been unable to determine a shop where I can buy the uncut version. The easiest way I've found to tell the difference, is the uncut copies have Frank between the woman's legs, instead of Frank as the main image. It then mentions uncut on the front as well.

Anyone seen where I might buy a copy? I can play it on my computers if it won't play on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Looks like Amazon France has it uncensored. Not sure if they ship to US, but it is region free.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000SOMEB6/

bread's done
Back