Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

[quote name='GizmoGC']You don't see the fireball missing in the middle of the frame? Perhaps you should stick to SelectaVision... :cool:[/QUOTE]

That i did catch. i was referring to the AVS link with the hd comparisons.

[quote name='guyver2077']That i did catch. i was referring to the AVS link with the hd comparisons.[/QUOTE]

Some pretty major EE is going on is various screencaps. This should hit reviewers hands today or tomorrow...unless Paramount decides to hold it back (Star Trek).

[quote name='guyver2077']That i did catch. i was referring to the AVS link with the hd comparisons.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you're looking at.

If it's the first post, that's the point. The HDTV versions look a bit better than the Blu-Ray.

Scroll down and look at the post that compares the normal film to the extended edition scenes. If you can't see the difference in those, there is no helping you.

So for Gladiator, are we to assume these screen caps are from the final, finished cut for release? And is it safe to assume whoever was responsible for the transfer used some kind of automated software DNR? Seems like they just ran it through some algorhythms without even checking it. I mean, how else can you explain the completely missing images from some of those captures?

[quote name='gunm']So for Gladiator, are we to assume these screen caps are from the final, finished cut for release? And is it safe to assume whoever was responsible for the transfer used some kind of automated software DNR? Seems like they just ran it through some algorhythms without even checking it. I mean, how else can you explain the completely missing images from some of those captures?[/QUOTE]

Yes. And from what I've been reading, they used an old master that already had DNR and EE, and then using some sort of scratch repair process which then took out the arrows and all that good stuff.

Ugh. Well, I'm not double-dipping Gladiator then. If I want to play spot the differences, I'll just get a sub to Highlights for Children. :p

[quote name='lolwut?']Yes. And from what I've been reading, they used an old master that already had DNR and EE, and then using some sort of scratch repair process which then took out the arrows and all that good stuff.[/QUOTE]
Inexcusable.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I canceled my pre-order for Gladiator...I'll pick it up when it's $15 or less...or I might bite on the UK SteelBook :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

The UK release will be identical - Universal handled the encode.

Don't expect any reviews either - they have not even been received by the people who send them out to reviewers. The earliest, possibly, would be Friday, but maybe not till Monday. Anyone remember how the Star Trek set went? Haha

[quote name='GizmoGC']The UK release will be identical - Universal handled the encode.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I figured that much. I know it's still an upgrade of the DVD minus certain objects :bomb: but if I'm going to buy it at launch I'm saying I'd rather get the SteelBook or wait till it's under $15.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Don't expect any reviews either - they have not even been received by the people who send them out to reviewers. The earliest, possibly, would be Friday, but maybe not till Monday. Anyone remember how the Star Trek set went? Haha[/QUOTE]

Conspiracy? lol. I guess no matter what, Universal/Paramount are too far gone to do anything about this release. If all the pre-launch hoopla is true, then it really doesn't speak well for this "Sapphire Series" label they are trying to market.

The fight between AVS and Blu-ray.com is far more interesting then Gladiator getting DNR/EE'ed. I've never laughed so hard regarding "no, they are wrong" before.

[quote name='gunm']Conspiracy? lol. I guess no matter what, Universal/Paramount are too far gone to do anything about this release. If all the pre-launch hoopla is true, then it really doesn't speak well for this "Sapphire Series" label they are trying to market.[/QUOTE]
What is really sad is this image

That really looks like some automated software removing what it mistakenly perceives to be scratches but not where they overlap a still object.

If so, Sapphire Series label = GARBAGE.
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic...ction=1&image=2&vergleich=gladiator#vergleich

Hehe, the bickering is rather humorous indeed. As is that image of the spears...er, well, what's left of the spears anyway. >_

Well, I think I'm passing on Gladiator, and I hope the reviews and sales will get someone to get their head out of their ass and redo the title. I doubt that'll happen. Guess it's off to get the 3-disc collector's edition to replace my original release one I traded in.

Braveheart is a hope they didn't fuck that up as well. From the preliminary stuff I've heard, they haven't.

The UP Luxoflux or whatever-its-called lamp Richie Rich package dropped to $120.99 on Amazon. I'm still trying to decide if a lamp is worth $90. :whistle2:k

Oh yeah, I hear Braveheart is good. Paramount was soley responsible for that one, IIRC.

I'm kind of worried about Forrest Gump now. It could go either way! :p

Braveheart, from everything I've read, seems solid (time to upgrade from the :ld: lol).
Looks like I am going to pre-order SW&tSD at BBy for the free steelbook cover. (It's damn cool that you get both, so if your kid dents it all to hell you still have the original)

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, I think I'm passing on Gladiator, and I hope the reviews and sales will get someone to get their head out of their ass and redo the title. I doubt that'll happen. Guess it's off to get the 3-disc collector's edition to replace my original release one I traded in.

Braveheart is a hope they didn't fuck that up as well. From the preliminary stuff I've heard, they haven't.[/QUOTE]

Braveheart looks amazing.

Gladiator is atrocious. I was going to buy it but now there is no way I am ever buying it, not even for $10. They messed it up more than Patton!

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Braveheart looks amazing.

Gladiator is atrocious. I was going to buy it but now there is no way I am ever buying it, not even for $10. They messed it up more than Patton![/QUOTE]Patton doesn't look massively bad, like they seemed to do with Gladiator. There's some issue with DNR in the picture, yes, though large aspects of the picture aren't missing, like the fireballs and arrows in Gladiator.

Good to know Braveheart looks amazing, so that'll go on the must-buy list.

[quote name='gunm']Glad I netflix'd Adventureland. Movie was boring, trite, and waaaaayy too long.[/QUOTE]

It's a solid movie. A few laughs. Good date movie though.

I was going to grab Gladiator and Braveheart with that "Get $10 off when you pick up both" deal at BB, but I think I'll pay full price for Braveheart and also grab Shaun of the Dead instead.

//edit: Adventureland blew so hard that I fell asleep. That hasn't happened in a while.

[quote name='shrike4242']Patton doesn't look massively bad, like they seemed to do with Gladiator. There's some issue with DNR in the picture, yes, though large aspects of the picture aren't missing, like the fireballs and arrows in Gladiator.

Good to know Braveheart looks amazing, so that'll go on the must-buy list.[/QUOTE]

The problem with Patton isn't that it looked bad, is that it could have looked AMAZING. Like better than most modern movies. It was shot using 70mm film so their could have and should have been so much fine detail that could have been stored with the higher quality fim, but they DNR'ed that out. However, for a 40 year old movie, I can somewhat accept it because it doesn't look terrible, and is still a significant upgrade over the DVD. Gladiator on the other hand looks god awful and is barely an upgrade.

Gladiator:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173155

Braveheart:
So detailed you can see the flakes on the paint.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173246

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Gladiator is atrocious.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrike4242']Patton doesn't look massively bad, like they seemed to do with Gladiator. There's some issue with DNR in the picture, yes, though large aspects of the picture aren't missing, like the fireballs and arrows in Gladiator.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']The problem with Patton isn't that it looked bad[/QUOTE]

Really guys? Patton doesn't look bad but Gladiator is some type of atrocity?

I would much rather have small things like fireballs and arrows partially missing due to poor DNR scrub (which I probably wouldn't even notice in motion) than the horrible, shitty treatment Patton recieved.

I mean, come on, seriously?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1039303

[quote name='Sporadic']Really guys? Patton doesn't look bad but Gladiator is some type of atrocity?

I would much rather have small things like fireballs and arrows partially missing due to poor DNR scrub (which I probably wouldn't even notice in motion) than the horrible, shitty treatment Patton recieved.

I mean, come on, seriously?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1039303[/QUOTE]

Ahhh......Gladiator received worse treatment than Patton. They were both DNR'd poorly and too much, but with patton there aren't details of the picture missing. And at least with Patton it still is a substantial upgrade from the DVD.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Ahhh......Gladiator received worse treatment than Patton. They were both DNR'd poorly and too much, but with patton there aren't details of the picture missing. And at least with Patton it still is a substantial upgrade from the DVD.[/QUOTE]
. . and Patton was a $9 pick-up at Fry's for me, which is not the price mark for Gladiator.

BTW, the free BBy steelbook for SW&tSD is really cool.

Has anybody seen the Disney/BBC documentary "Earth"? ( Or, better yet, have a blu-ray review of it? )

I'm a big nature documentary junkie, yet I was at college with this baby slipped into theaters. Any opinions? I've heard that it's a lot like Planet Earth.

[quote name='amill007']Has anybody seen the Disney/BBC documentary "Earth"? ( Or, better yet, have a blu-ray review of it? )

I'm a big nature documentary junkie, yet I was at college with this baby slipped into theaters. Any opinions? I've heard that it's a lot like Planet Earth.[/QUOTE]

It *IS* Planet Earth.

[quote name='amill007']Has anybody seen the Disney/BBC documentary "Earth"? ( Or, better yet, have a blu-ray review of it? )

I'm a big nature documentary junkie, yet I was at college with this baby slipped into theaters. Any opinions? I've heard that it's a lot like Planet Earth.[/QUOTE]

I saw the Blu-ray last week. Its pretty meh. It's all Planet Earth footage cut to 90 minutes. Barely any features. I'd say stick to Planet Earth instead.

Star Trek :br: getting a bundle from Amazon:

original.pjpeg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002HWRZH0/panandscathed-20

[quote name='GizmoGC']I saw the Blu-ray last week. Its pretty meh. It's all Planet Earth footage cut to 90 minutes. Barely any features. I'd say stick to Planet Earth instead.[/QUOTE]

Better way to sum it up is...

Disney's Planet Earth: The Short Attention Span Edition

Had pre-ordered Heroes Season 3 and Gladiator last week, but since reading the reviews e-mailed Best Buy to cancel my order. Hopefully they'll put my copies back on the shelf for other people if they want them.

bread's done
Back