Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid.

Ruined

CAGiversary!
Thought this might be helpful to those just getting into BD :)

(UPDATED 3/30/09)

CONFIRMED CURRENT PROBLEM USA BDs
***Releases highlighted in red have problems being ignored by the studio***
007: For Your Eyes Only
* An issue with one of the BD-J files may cause your player to freeze
! Fox has a replacement program available: 1-888-223-2FOX

* Severe jaggies persist throughout the film.
! Weinstein has not addressed this as of 1/14/09

3:10 to Yuma
* Significant chroma fringing/errors in transfer, most visible during credits (rainbow colors around edges of text).
! LionsGate does not consider this an issue

Baraka (Horrible cardboard eco-pak edition)
* Some copies freeze at 1hr 13mins mark. A batch of the initial run of discs in the poorly-made cardboard case had significant manufacturing issues which some players are more sensitive to than others.
! MPI has a replacement program available

Blade Runner (slimline case)
* Some copies do not have the final cut on Disc 1 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the workprint disc
! Warner has a replacement program available

The Descent (MPEG2)
* Significant chroma fringing/errors in transfer, most visible during credits (rainbow colors around edges of text). AUS version is unaffected.

Die Hard 2
* DTS-HDMA lossless track incorrectly flagged as DTS-HD lossy, resulting in lossy output or no sound at all on some setups
! Fox has began to collect addresses of people with a problem to resend a second set of replacement discs when available (first replacement was the same disc)
Support contacts: [email protected] -and- [email protected]
However as of 1/8/09 Fox still has failed to send out fixed replacement discs; UK and AUS copies are not affected.

Dirty Dancing
* Master appears to have been incorrectly scaled prior to encoding, resulting in severe jaggies.

District B13
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue

Enter the Dragon
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies; effective disc resolution is 960x1080.
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem.

Event Horizon
* Image is vertically stretched at times, resulting in "thin" faces and image distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

The Fugitive
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies; effective disc resolution is 960x1080.
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem.

Gulliver's Travels
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, cropped from 1.37:1 to 1.78:1.
! Koch does not consider this an issue.

Halloween
* Color balance during night scenes deviates from the filmmakers intentions
! Anchor Bay/Starz does not consider this an issue.

Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay
* There are popping noises at branch points when listening to the fully decoded lossless DTS-MA soundtrack.
! New Line is aware of the issue, but no replacement program has been announced.

Immortal
* Right channel effects and center channel effects are swapped in TrueHD soundtrack.
! First Look Pictures has not announced a replacement program.

King of California
* Jaggies are noticable at times throughout the movie, possibly a low quality upconvert from 720p master.
! First Look Pictures has not addressed this as of 1/14/09

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (both original release and re-release)
* 7-second TrueHD soundtrack dropout at 1:40:45, confirmed encoding error that affects all players. Lossless HD DVD version and lossy soundtracks on both versions are not affected.
! Warner has done a "silent release" of a corrected Blu-ray Disc. The files on the correctly authored disc are dated March 2008.

Let the Right One In
* Subtitle translation is incorrect.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue and is not issuing replacements; instead, they will release a new version in the future with correct subtitles for purchase. Return your disc if you are dissatisfied with the incorrect subtitle translation.
http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/03/let_the_wrong_subtitles_in_to.html

Lethal Weapon 2

Lost: Season 3
* On some copies, Disc 5 is a duplicate of Disc 1.
! Disney has a replacement program available.

Lost: Season 4
* The first 2 seconds of audio may be cut off when starting playback of an episode
! Disney has not addressed this issue as of 1/19/09

Matrix Revolutions
* Image breaks up or jumps at 1:45:46
! Warner appears to be coordinating a replacement program for this issue, but no discs are available yet. Click here for more info. Note that the UK version may not be affected by this glitch.

Next
* Severe jaggies throughout the film
! Paramount has failed to respond to this issue as of 1/14/09

The Night of the Werewolf/Vengeance of the Zombies
* Severe A/V lag during playback. All copies may not be affected.
! BCI does not consider this an issue

Paris, je t'aime
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable.
! First Look Pictures has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Priceless
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable. Also, there are no english subtitles at all for the french extras included!
! First Look Pictures has failed to address this issue as of 1/19/09

Roy Orbison: Black and White Night
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, cropped from 1.37:1 to 1.78:1.
! Image Entertainment has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Starship Troopers
* Editing error where a few frames of the movie are repeated, omitting what should actually be seen. Example: Faulty version --Corrected version.
! Sony has a replacement program available

Species
* Authoring error where attempting to access the subtitle options via the main menu or the pop-up menu results in freezing of the player controls. This has been confirmed by paidgeek, a Sony insider. The subtitles can still be accessed properly via the subtitle button on the player's remote.
! No replacement program is planned for this

Sukiyaki Western Django
* Right channel effects and center channel effects are swapped in TrueHD soundtrack.
! First Look Pictures has not announced a replacement program.

The Truman Show
* Image is horizontally stretched, resulting in overly "fat" faces and distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Unbreakable
* PCM soundtrack popping/distortion in rear right surround at 8:30-8:32. Also a popping noise is heard in the center channel at 1:28:21.
! The UK version has a 16bit/48khz 5.1 PCM track that is unaffected by this issue.
! Disney has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Young Guns
! LionsGate has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

UNCONFIRMED or EQUIPMENT-SPECIFIC BD GLITCHES
Chicago
* PCM soundtrack popping/distortion
! Need more information to determine if this is a disc issue

PAST INCIDENTS - You'd be unlikely to find these problem discs in stores today, as they were fixed long ago.
Blade Runner
* Some copies do not have the workprint on Disc 5 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the final cut disc

Chronos
* Some copies had an issue that prevented playback in some cases
! RBFilms has a replacement program available

The Descent (OOP/AVC release only)
* Movie file(s) were located in the wrong directory, making the disc unplayable in some cases. Serious chroma errors are visible in transfer, especially on credits.
! Title was recalled

The Fifth Element (OOP/original release)
* This title does not have any glitches, but it is being included because it has a poor transfer and the manufacturer is offering a free upgrade to the newer version w/ better transfer.
! Sony has a replacement program available.

Full Metal Jacket (OOP/original release only - original cover has white background)
! Warner has released a remastered BD with new artwork that is full 1080p resolution.

The Incredible Hulk
* In Canada, some early copies of the initial run of this title mistakenly have Ang Lee's earlier "Hulk" film in the case instead of the newer Incredible Hulk film.
! Universal has a replacement program available.

Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl
* Framing error
! Disney has a replacement program available

Speed
* Some copies had an issue that prevented playback in some cases
! Fox has a replacement program available

Stargate
* Early copies were missing subtitles for a portion of the movie
! LionsGate has corrected the issue with a new pressing

Terminator 3
* Some copies have the main feature encoded in 1080i when IME is not enabled

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, that District B13 issue would really annoy me I think and I was planning on getting it. Well, I guess I just saved myself some money. Thanks, great thread.

Thanks OP.I expected this list to be only a few obscure titles,but sheesh,this is BS.I have a PS3,but have not been buying any Blu Ray movies & I think I'll stick with dvds for a while longer.

[quote name='yukine']I think companies take Amazon reviews pretty seriously, I voted for it.[/quote]

Thanks man, I hope so. I just keep getting autoamted email responses.

RE: Since it is on page before this one.
[quote name='h3llbring3r']Lionsgate is apparently just ignoring emails about their flaws in the HD masters of their Blu's.
I have decided to put a short but to the point review on Amazon (a lot of good it will do, I know).
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1IU1OIKHNZPCG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

If you guys wanna vote it up maybe they will notice- doubt it.
I also encourage anyone else who bought this to do the same.[/quote]

[quote name='yukine']I think companies take Amazon reviews pretty seriously, I voted for it.[/quote]

Thanks man, I hope so. I just keep getting automated email responses.

RE: Since it is on page before this one.
[quote name='h3llbring3r']Lionsgate is apparently just ignoring emails about their flaws in the HD masters of their Blu's.
I have decided to put a short but to the point review on Amazon (a lot of good it will do, I know).
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1IU1OIKHNZPCG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

If you guys wanna vote it up maybe they will notice- doubt it.
I also encourage anyone else who bought this to do the same.[/quote]
Any other flawed disc reviews you guys have would be great; I would be glad to make this a campaign.

I voted "helpful"... i assume that's what you mean in "voting it up".... Shame. If it's worth doing... it's worth doing right. And that flick does bring back H.S. Memories... :)

[quote name='yukine']I think companies take Amazon reviews pretty seriously, I voted for it.
smile.gif
[/quote]

Oh they, they do.

On a few of my disc's I get this wierd Motion Blur with things like faces or people moving. Would this be a flaw with the transfer or maybe something more likely wrong with my set?

i have the Enter The Dragon blu-ray and it does have a few scenes with some poorly mastered details. But for the most part, it looks amazing! the colors are impressive and it's a great deal as you can usually find it for around $15.

[quote name='joeyatog']i have the Enter The Dragon blu-ray and it does have a few scenes with some poorly mastered details. But for the most part, it looks amazing! the colors are impressive and it's a great deal as you can usually find it for around $15.[/QUOTE]

Check out these direct screengrabs of Enter the Dragon at full size on a digital monitor:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12662433&postcount=2

With the noticable amount of jaggies, the transfer falls very short of "amazing."

[quote name='Ruined']Check out these direct screengrabs of Enter the Dragon at full size on a digital monitor:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12662433&postcount=2

With the noticable amount of jaggies, the transfer falls very short of "amazing."[/QUOTE]

i also said there were several scenes that didn't look that good. but for the price, and the unlikelyhood of a double dip, i doubt we will see a better version anytime soon.

[quote name='joeyatog']i also said there were several scenes that didn't look that good. but for the price, and the unlikelyhood of a double dip, i doubt we will see a better version anytime soon.[/quote]

As with the Lionsgate titles where this happened with the effective resolution was cut in half (like Enter the Dragon) I consider these titles critically flawed.

[quote name='joeyatog']i also said there were several scenes that didn't look that good. but for the price, and the unlikelyhood of a double dip, i doubt we will see a better version anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, the entire movie is 960x1080, not just parts of it - and the whole thing is aliased.

IMO a superb DVD upconverting player like the Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player w/latest firmware would do a better job with the latest DVD edition of Enter the Dragon than we see with the Blu-ray. The detail may not be as good, but at least you don't get stuck with the pixelated-jaggies look.

[quote name='Ruined']The thing is, the entire movie is 960x1080, not just parts of it - and the whole thing is aliased.

IMO a superb DVD upconverting player like the Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player w/latest firmware would do a better job with the latest DVD edition of Enter the Dragon than we see with the Blu-ray. The detail may not be as good, but at least you don't get stuck with the pixelated-jaggies look.[/QUOTE]

I see, thank you for informing me. Good thing I didn't pay for this Blu-Ray! =p

Is there a thread like this for HD-DVDs?

If not there should be, the newest version of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow refuses to work in the 360 HD-DVD player. I'm sure there are others like the above.

I couldn't get past the title screen on two different copies of babylon ad. I don't need to watch anymore vin diesel movies anyway

[quote name='ITDEFX']is it me or does the re-issue (2007) of The Fifth Element have a few scenes that have some frame jerking?[/quote]

Can u name a few scenes you noticed it in and I can check? I dont recall any but its been a year since Ive watched it.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Can u name a few scenes you noticed it in and I can check? I dont recall any but its been a year since Ive watched it.[/quote]

I'll rewatch it but I noticed in the first 30 mins of the movie.

Is anyone else experiencing the sound being off in Hellboy 2? The entire movie looks like it was dubbed over in English from Chinese or something like in the old Godzilla movies.

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']Is anyone else experiencing the sound being off in Hellboy 2? The entire movie looks like it was dubbed over in English from Chinese or something like in the old Godzilla movies.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, i didn't have any audio issues with my hellboy 2. in fact, it's one of the best mixes i've heard!

[quote name='joeyatog']Hmm, i didn't have any audio issues with my hellboy 2. in fact, it's one of the best mixes i've heard![/QUOTE]

Same here. It might be an issue with you getting lag from your receiver.

:whistle2:o woah! I almost thought Blu ray is near to perfection! Thanks for this list I was about to get Lost Season 4 for reviewing...
clear.gif

Update on my Hellboy 2 audio sync problem. It seems that the issue occurs on all discs with Ucontrol (Incredible Hulk, Heroes). Seems to be a little better when I change the settings of my ps3 to bitstream from linear PCM.

Anywho, it's not the disc (I had my brother test it in his blu-ray player and it played just fine); guess I need to take a look at my settings.

Question for you guys I have a copy of starship troopers is there a way to tell if I have the glitched version? Like with the first run Fifth Elements?

(Terminator 3
! Warner has a replacement program available)

I just purchased this one last week from Best Buy, how can I tell my copy is like this?

[quote name='HCHecxz'](Terminator 3
! Warner has a replacement program available)

I just purchased this one last week from Best Buy, how can I tell my copy is like this?[/QUOTE]

Does your TV's remote have an info or display button? That may work.

[quote name='HCHecxz']
I just purchased this one last week from Best Buy, how can I tell my copy is like this?[/QUOTE]

Look at the barcode on the back of the case.

The old 1080i version is:

The new disc is:

I didn't see Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem on the list.

When the Predator ship is entering Earth's atmosphere and is about to plummet into the lake, there's this weird audio error (crackle and pop) that occurs.

Just wanted to let youse guys know there is now a replacement program for Matrix Revolutions. Call 1-800-553-6937. You are asked for your name and address. Was told I should receive corrected copy in about week.

[quote name='Ruined']Robocop was theatrically shown at 1.85:1. However, when Criterion approached the director Paul Verhoeven about his wishes for presentation of the film on DVD, he stated that he strongly preferred his film to be presented at 1.66:1 aspect ratio. Thus, while the Blu-ray does present the theatrical aspect ratio, it fails to present the director's preferred aspect ratio..[/QUOTE]
_

Does the jacket list the aspect ratio wrong, or does it say that it's shown this way to "preserve the director's vision" or something similar?
I've only ever owned Criterion's Laserdisc and DVD of Robocop. I'm just curious to how this compares. I might check it out.

I don't know if this helps or has already been answered yet but I picked up the Pirates Trilogy off of amazon (and noticed the mentioned framing issues after it arrived of course).

After watching the movie while reading up and looking at screen captures I didn't encounter any of the framing issues.

I read a few posts on other sites on how to determine if you have a bad copy or not but didn't come across anything concrete.

One thing I did see was a post on Endgadget HD that had comparison screen captures and one thing that may or may not be a clue if you might be buying a bad one or a fixed one. There was a picture of the case itself. The case in the picture had one of those shiny metallic covers. Mine has a regular cover without the reflective foil.

Got an email from Netflix advising that the copy of Crank 2 they sent me has some known issues with certain BR players and that they already requested replacements from the manufacturer. They also gave me an extra rental as compensation. I did find that the initial load up was very, very long, but there was an update patch that was interrupted when my Internet connection died, so I thought it was due to that. Beyond that, I didn't notice any other playback problems, although I didn't go through all the extras and such. Movie ended up playing back fine on my PS3 Slim w/3.01 FW, after that first time startup thing.

[quote name='Ironcross13']Just wanted to let youse guys know there is now a replacement program for Matrix Revolutions. Call 1-800-553-6937. You are asked for your name and address. Was told I should receive corrected copy in about week.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering when this would happen. Do you have to send them anything back or just call and give them information? I did the red2blu thing to get mine.

Not sure if it was a glitch with the disc or just to my specific hardware (Samsung BDP-1500), but my wife and I rented True Blood: Season 1 from Netflix and on EVERY episode a box would appear where Lafayette would be talking about the scene, or another box would appear that would show a map of where Sooky was at the moment. There was no sound at all (and we made sure we selected the version of the episode to NOT have the commentary on it), but it sure was annoying to watch these episodes and have a big box just show up out of nowhere...

I tried everything to get rid of it, and nothing I did worked. This issue has only happened with True Blood, I haven't seen it on anything else at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a glitch with Observe and Report (Netflix) on my Samsung BD-P1500. The bonus view window with the commentary would not disappear. And there was no sound for the commentary. Never did find a fix, except to watch it on dvd instead.

The BDP-1500 (along with most of Samsung's previous BD players) are known for being problematic machines.

Do you guys have the latest firmware updates available for it?

Yep, I do. Just downloaded the latest one last week or so. I'll see if it still does it (as I just got Observe and Report from Netflix today)... good thing I have a PS3 in the living room now :)

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']_

Does the jacket list the aspect ratio wrong, or does it say that it's shown this way to "preserve the director's vision" or something similar?
I've only ever owned Criterion's Laserdisc and DVD of Robocop. I'm just curious to how this compares. I might check it out.[/QUOTE]

they changed the aspect ratio because people hate when there is any unused space on their TVs because they are stupid. Criterion had it right, but the MGM DVD and blu-ray are 1.85:1 and will stay that way unfortunately. It's like how Evil Dead is now 1.85:1 despite being shot 1.33:1.

[quote name='ncxcstud']Not sure if it was a glitch with the disc or just to my specific hardware (Samsung BDP-1500), but my wife and I rented True Blood: Season 1 from Netflix and on EVERY episode a box would appear where Lafayette would be talking about the scene, or another box would appear that would show a map of where Sooky was at the moment. There was no sound at all (and we made sure we selected the version of the episode to NOT have the commentary on it), but it sure was annoying to watch these episodes and have a big box just show up out of nowhere...

I tried everything to get rid of it, and nothing I did worked. This issue has only happened with True Blood, I haven't seen it on anything else at all.[/QUOTE]

That's the "Enhanced view" you were watching which is an extra. Kind of like in the matrix with hitting enter when the white rabbit shows up or InfiniFilm DVDs from New Line. You may have clicked on that by accident from the menu, or your player may have been glitching to play that version instead. Unfortunately that is meant to be seen after viewing it normally so you may have seen things sooner than you should have and/or missed out on other stuff.

[quote name='ncxcstud']Not sure if it was a glitch with the disc or just to my specific hardware (Samsung BDP-1500), but my wife and I rented True Blood: Season 1 from Netflix and on EVERY episode a box would appear where Lafayette would be talking about the scene, or another box would appear that would show a map of where Sooky was at the moment. There was no sound at all (and we made sure we selected the version of the episode to NOT have the commentary on it), but it sure was annoying to watch these episodes and have a big box just show up out of nowhere...

I tried everything to get rid of it, and nothing I did worked. This issue has only happened with True Blood, I haven't seen it on anything else at all.[/QUOTE]

Nothing like that ever happened to me. No issues with season one whatsoever on my 60GB PS3

nope, I know what enhanced view is. On my samsung bluray player it automatically came up in the normal viewing. It shows the enhanced view box without the sound.

Anyone else having sound problems with Up on a PS3 Slim? There's no audio for the movie and menus, but Disney online (or whatever it's called) plays just fine.

bread's done
Back