Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid.

Ruined

CAGiversary!
Thought this might be helpful to those just getting into BD :)

(UPDATED 3/30/09)

CONFIRMED CURRENT PROBLEM USA BDs
***Releases highlighted in red have problems being ignored by the studio***
007: For Your Eyes Only
* An issue with one of the BD-J files may cause your player to freeze
! Fox has a replacement program available: 1-888-223-2FOX

* Severe jaggies persist throughout the film.
! Weinstein has not addressed this as of 1/14/09

3:10 to Yuma
* Significant chroma fringing/errors in transfer, most visible during credits (rainbow colors around edges of text).
! LionsGate does not consider this an issue

Baraka (Horrible cardboard eco-pak edition)
* Some copies freeze at 1hr 13mins mark. A batch of the initial run of discs in the poorly-made cardboard case had significant manufacturing issues which some players are more sensitive to than others.
! MPI has a replacement program available

Blade Runner (slimline case)
* Some copies do not have the final cut on Disc 1 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the workprint disc
! Warner has a replacement program available

The Descent (MPEG2)
* Significant chroma fringing/errors in transfer, most visible during credits (rainbow colors around edges of text). AUS version is unaffected.

Die Hard 2
* DTS-HDMA lossless track incorrectly flagged as DTS-HD lossy, resulting in lossy output or no sound at all on some setups
! Fox has began to collect addresses of people with a problem to resend a second set of replacement discs when available (first replacement was the same disc)
Support contacts: [email protected] -and- [email protected]
However as of 1/8/09 Fox still has failed to send out fixed replacement discs; UK and AUS copies are not affected.

Dirty Dancing
* Master appears to have been incorrectly scaled prior to encoding, resulting in severe jaggies.

District B13
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue

Enter the Dragon
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies; effective disc resolution is 960x1080.
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem.

Event Horizon
* Image is vertically stretched at times, resulting in "thin" faces and image distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

The Fugitive
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies; effective disc resolution is 960x1080.
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem.

Gulliver's Travels
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, cropped from 1.37:1 to 1.78:1.
! Koch does not consider this an issue.

Halloween
* Color balance during night scenes deviates from the filmmakers intentions
! Anchor Bay/Starz does not consider this an issue.

Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay
* There are popping noises at branch points when listening to the fully decoded lossless DTS-MA soundtrack.
! New Line is aware of the issue, but no replacement program has been announced.

Immortal
* Right channel effects and center channel effects are swapped in TrueHD soundtrack.
! First Look Pictures has not announced a replacement program.

King of California
* Jaggies are noticable at times throughout the movie, possibly a low quality upconvert from 720p master.
! First Look Pictures has not addressed this as of 1/14/09

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (both original release and re-release)
* 7-second TrueHD soundtrack dropout at 1:40:45, confirmed encoding error that affects all players. Lossless HD DVD version and lossy soundtracks on both versions are not affected.
! Warner has done a "silent release" of a corrected Blu-ray Disc. The files on the correctly authored disc are dated March 2008.

Let the Right One In
* Subtitle translation is incorrect.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue and is not issuing replacements; instead, they will release a new version in the future with correct subtitles for purchase. Return your disc if you are dissatisfied with the incorrect subtitle translation.
http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/03/let_the_wrong_subtitles_in_to.html

Lethal Weapon 2

Lost: Season 3
* On some copies, Disc 5 is a duplicate of Disc 1.
! Disney has a replacement program available.

Lost: Season 4
* The first 2 seconds of audio may be cut off when starting playback of an episode
! Disney has not addressed this issue as of 1/19/09

Matrix Revolutions
* Image breaks up or jumps at 1:45:46
! Warner appears to be coordinating a replacement program for this issue, but no discs are available yet. Click here for more info. Note that the UK version may not be affected by this glitch.

Next
* Severe jaggies throughout the film
! Paramount has failed to respond to this issue as of 1/14/09

The Night of the Werewolf/Vengeance of the Zombies
* Severe A/V lag during playback. All copies may not be affected.
! BCI does not consider this an issue

Paris, je t'aime
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable.
! First Look Pictures has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Priceless
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable. Also, there are no english subtitles at all for the french extras included!
! First Look Pictures has failed to address this issue as of 1/19/09

Roy Orbison: Black and White Night
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, cropped from 1.37:1 to 1.78:1.
! Image Entertainment has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Starship Troopers
* Editing error where a few frames of the movie are repeated, omitting what should actually be seen. Example: Faulty version --Corrected version.
! Sony has a replacement program available

Species
* Authoring error where attempting to access the subtitle options via the main menu or the pop-up menu results in freezing of the player controls. This has been confirmed by paidgeek, a Sony insider. The subtitles can still be accessed properly via the subtitle button on the player's remote.
! No replacement program is planned for this

Sukiyaki Western Django
* Right channel effects and center channel effects are swapped in TrueHD soundtrack.
! First Look Pictures has not announced a replacement program.

The Truman Show
* Image is horizontally stretched, resulting in overly "fat" faces and distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Unbreakable
* PCM soundtrack popping/distortion in rear right surround at 8:30-8:32. Also a popping noise is heard in the center channel at 1:28:21.
! The UK version has a 16bit/48khz 5.1 PCM track that is unaffected by this issue.
! Disney has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Young Guns
! LionsGate has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

UNCONFIRMED or EQUIPMENT-SPECIFIC BD GLITCHES
Chicago
* PCM soundtrack popping/distortion
! Need more information to determine if this is a disc issue

PAST INCIDENTS - You'd be unlikely to find these problem discs in stores today, as they were fixed long ago.
Blade Runner
* Some copies do not have the workprint on Disc 5 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the final cut disc

Chronos
* Some copies had an issue that prevented playback in some cases
! RBFilms has a replacement program available

The Descent (OOP/AVC release only)
* Movie file(s) were located in the wrong directory, making the disc unplayable in some cases. Serious chroma errors are visible in transfer, especially on credits.
! Title was recalled

The Fifth Element (OOP/original release)
* This title does not have any glitches, but it is being included because it has a poor transfer and the manufacturer is offering a free upgrade to the newer version w/ better transfer.
! Sony has a replacement program available.

Full Metal Jacket (OOP/original release only - original cover has white background)
! Warner has released a remastered BD with new artwork that is full 1080p resolution.

The Incredible Hulk
* In Canada, some early copies of the initial run of this title mistakenly have Ang Lee's earlier "Hulk" film in the case instead of the newer Incredible Hulk film.
! Universal has a replacement program available.

Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl
* Framing error
! Disney has a replacement program available

Speed
* Some copies had an issue that prevented playback in some cases
! Fox has a replacement program available

Stargate
* Early copies were missing subtitles for a portion of the movie
! LionsGate has corrected the issue with a new pressing

Terminator 3
* Some copies have the main feature encoded in 1080i when IME is not enabled

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FiretrUCK']Anyone else having sound problems with Up on a PS3 Slim? There's no audio for the movie and menus, but Disney online (or whatever it's called) plays just fine.[/QUOTE]

Works fine on my slim too.

What are the sources for some of these claims made on these Blu Ray titles? I am curious. Secondly, I visited Hi Def Digest reviews on Bruce Lee's Enter the dragon and the movie recieved a 4 out of 5 stars (in the video category) with no mention of "severe jaggies." Multiple compliments on picture smoothness, clarity, etc.

Last edited:
[quote name='AceBB6']What are the sources for some of these claims made on these Blu Ray titles? I am curious. Secondly, I visited Hi Def Digest reviews on Bruce Lee's Enter the dragon and the movie recieved a 4 out of 5 stars (in the video category) with no mention of "severe jaggies." Multiple compliments on picture smoothness, clarity, etc.[/QUOTE]

The sources are people that know a lot whole more about video than the "reviewers." :)

Review sites are worthless for the most part. I end up having to point out the faults in transfers to the reviewers half the time, as if they didn't even watch the movie. Enter the Dragon is a good example - it is clearly and obviously messed up in a big way. Watch on a decent size LCD (or other 1:1 display) and the jaggies are easily apparent, to get an idea what to look for just look at the opening credits. I can see them on my 22" computer LCD monitor and its quite ugly.

There used to be screencaps on AVS that highlighted this in Enter the Dragon BD, but they have since been removed (either due to bandwidth issues or studios complaining).

"Drag Me To Hell" won't play on my Panasonic DMP-BD30, but plays well on my 80GB PS3.

Last firmware update was July 14, 2009...guess they aren't supporting this model any longer :whistle2:(

[quote name='Ruined']Lost: Season 4
* The first 2 seconds of audio may be cut off when starting playback of an episode
! Disney has not addressed this issue as of 1/19/09[/QUOTE]
I've been through every episode of Season 4 and didn't encounter this problem once on my PS3 (CECHL01).

Anyone had a problem with Yes Man? On my 60GB PS3 it skipped about 30 seconds in the middle despite no scratch on the disc.

We could probably add another list for blu-rays that have expired digital copies included. I just tried to transfer my digital copy of Pineapple Express only to discover it's no longer valid. WTF?

[quote name='Mayday']I've never had a single problem with Blu-Ray[/QUOTE]
You've gotta be yanking my crank. This is the glitchiest video format I've ever experienced (including: LD and mini-DVDs).

[quote name='h3llbring3r']You've gotta be yanking my crank. This is the glitchiest video format I've ever experienced (including: LD and mini-DVDs).[/QUOTE]
My PS3 has never failed me.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']You've gotta be yanking my crank. This is the glitchiest video format I've ever experienced (including: LD and mini-DVDs).[/QUOTE]
So you never had an :hddvd: player? :lol:
Bourne Ultimatum still won't play in my Sammy :hddvd: player.
I've never had any issues with any :br: discs. *knock on wood*

this thread seems to be a little dated, with the OP not being updated in almost a year. Are new releases getting better or is there another source for this info somewhere that isn't as stale? I took a break from cataloging my collection and just caught up and am catching up on stuff like this too. Great info here, just making sure people aren't also looking elsewhere for this kind of stuff (besides the review sites that don't seem to catch everything).

With more and more double dips likely with 3D and higher res formats eventually, I'm not going to touch anything with glitches that I know about.

Ruined, thanks for the update.

I need to get my 007: For Your Eyes Only replaced.
If anyone else picked a copy up (I did during the big Target sale) call Fox and get it replaced: 1-888-223-2FOX

Anyone have any trouble with the BBC Edition of Planet Earth and their PS3's? My PS3 almost looks like it goes into a slow-down mode at random times (does seem to be when panning out or in on images from the sky down) and its almost like its trying to buffer it. Happens randomly and if I rewind and watch the same part that it did it on, it won't do it again.

So...I borrowed Pineapple Express blu from my friend, and it simply will not load on my PS3. I have no problems with any other film at all, and it plays perfectly fine in my parent's Panny...but my PS3 chokes on it. ANyone else ever have that happen?

[quote name='Ronin317']So...I borrowed Pineapple Express blu from my friend, and it simply will not load on my PS3. I have no problems with any other film at all, and it plays perfectly fine in my parent's Panny...but my PS3 chokes on it. ANyone else ever have that happen?[/QUOTE]

Strange you mention that... I actually bought it used from a local dealer who warned me of the same thing. It works fine on my PS3 slim.

Just got through watching The Corpse Bride. There's a glitch in chapter 11, wherein Emily's eye pops out and Victor picks it up and gives it to her. Right after he compliments it the movie jumps a few seconds on Emily's line. I rewound it and had the exact same error. Kind of ironic since it came with one of those 'Highest quality guarantee' papers inside.

Playing on a PS3 slim.

[quote name='Blumpkin']We could probably add another list for blu-rays that have expired digital copies included. I just tried to transfer my digital copy of Pineapple Express only to discover it's no longer valid. WTF?[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this. What the hell is up with the limited time digital download?!

I've now had this problem on two copies.

Ichi the Killer blu-ray has audio that's about 1-2 seconds out of sync with the video. Incredibly distracting. I returned one copy to Amazon and my second does the same thing. Anyone else having this issue?

Playing in an non-BC 80GB PS3. I've emailed Media-Blasters yesterday, but have not received a response yet.

You may want to add A Nightmare on Elm Street to this list. Various reports on forums regarding audio-sync issues in many sections of the movie. These sync issues range from barely noticeable to a lag that last seconds.

I have a copy of the Fifth Element. How do I determine if I have an inferior version?

Also, anyone have any issues with Wall*E? I want to get that, however, reviews on Amazon regarding Disney movies are not favorable. In particular, Wall*E.

[quote name='def PD']I have a copy of the Fifth Element. How do I determine if I have an inferior version?

Also, anyone have any issues with Wall*E? I want to get that, however, reviews on Amazon regarding Disney movies are not favorable. In particular, Wall*E.[/QUOTE]

I've got a ton of Disney movies that I've bought for my daughter's collection. I don't have Wall-E, but all the other Disney titles are very solid. 15 Disney Blu's here, and not one problem yet.

has anyone had any problems playing Basic Instinct on his/her ps3? i got a used copy from the hollywood 25% stuff a few weeks ago. i got a replacement from them, but both copies don't play. the lion's gate logo comes up, stutters, then fully locks up.

Saving Private Ryan Blu-Ray Audio Sync Issue (all current discs)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4606

When Saving Private Ryan came out on Blu-ray, some enthusiasts claimed that they noticed an audio issue with the movie and that, starting at chapter 15, the sound went out of sync with the picture. Now Paramount Home Entertainment has unofficially confirmed to The Digital Bits that "there IS a sound sync issue on current copies." The studio is reportedly working on fixed discs for retail, and is expected to announce a replacement plan soon.

If there's a misstep in the track, there appears to be a slight lip synch issue before the battle of Ramelle, found around the 2:06 mark in the film as a character shares a story about one of his brothers' girlfriends and their encounter in a barn. The effect was blatantly obvious when viewing the film with a combination of a Panasonic DMP-BDT300 Blu-ray player and Denon AVR-3808 audio receiver connected via HDMI (with the audio stream sent through a separate HDMI cable from the video stream), but seemed to be less of an issue when the Denon was paired with a PlayStation 3, also connected via HDMI.

Amazon marked their copies as not available for sale, probably for the issue above.

There's a notification you can set up for when they're available for sale again.

[quote name='shrike4242']Amazon marked their copies as not available for sale, probably for the issue above.

There's a notification you can set up for when they're available for sale again.[/QUOTE]

The Sapphire Series has been such a huge disappointment. Gees.

I still have my defective Iron Man Blu-ray from last year...I really should buy the fixed problem since Paramount never sent me a fixed review copy. It's rare...never disc color art. Who wants to buy it :cool:

[quote name='GizmoGC']The Sapphire Series has been such a huge disappointment. Gees.

I still have my defective Iron Man Blu-ray from last year...I really should buy the fixed problem since Paramount never sent me a fixed review copy. It's rare...never disc color art. Who wants to buy it :cool:[/QUOTE]:roll:

I'm not bitching about Amazon pulling their copies, I'm just pointing it out for those that wanted to buy it, like myself.

If Amazon thinks it's an issue and has pulled their copies for sale, I can certainly wait it out until they make it available again.

[quote name='shrike4242']:roll:

I'm not bitching about Amazon pulling their copies, I'm just pointing it out for those that wanted to buy it, like myself.

If Amazon thinks it's an issue and has pulled their copies for sale, I can certainly wait it out until they make it available again.[/QUOTE]
yeah, agree with you

ok...since the replacement discs are suppose to be out by now how is this going to work returning/exchanging at best buy?

CS clerks are mostly clueless about product recalls. I have not opened SPR yet and was hoping that I could walk in, get the new disc and go to the CS area and do an exchange but when they ring it up it will be under a different sku. Knowing the managers they will tell me to send it back to the manufacture even though I could return it to the B&M store.

spoke to the guy in media and told him about the recall. He was surprised by this and I pointed him to the recall web site regarding SPR and to look out for the UPC. He said it should be no problem to do a swap out.

Hello,my friend!I'm feeding up with searching for the Alias Seasons 1-5 DVD Boxset so much.But last sunday,I so glad to find a very useful DVD web called dvdpaupal.com where I can get all my want!Now,I will share the good news with you!

I bought a copy of Hot Tub Time Machine and all it had was the theatrical cut of the movie with no special features. It is suppose to have a unrated version of the film along with the special features.

[quote name='cdeener']I bought a copy of Hot Tub Time Machine and all it had was the theatrical cut of the movie with no special features. It is suppose to have a unrated version of the film along with the special features.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Blockbuster's rental only version

[quote name='laserdogg']Sounds like Blockbuster's rental only version[/QUOTE]
I bought it at Bestbuy with a Digital Copy. I bet the disc got mixed up in shipping. I think I'm going to return it to a different Bestbuy and see if it happens again.

It might be that the disc I got was pressed wrong cause I didn't see anything on the disc saying it was a rental only copy but I will look again when I get home from work.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cdeener']I bought it at Bestbuy with a Digital Copy. I bet the disc got mixed up in shipping. I think I'm going to return it to a different Bestbuy and see if it happens again.

It might be that the disc I got was pressed wrong cause I didn't see anything on the disc saying it was a rental only copy but I will look again when I get home from work.[/QUOTE]

Unlike other Blockbuster rental versions, the Date Night BD disc does not indicate it's a rental version.

As I recall, the disc was red with the Date Night title on it.

The menu was bare bones with choices being Play, Search and Setup as I recall. It was also the PG-13 theatrical version only.

Thank you for posting this as I was looking to buy 3:10 to Yuma as it is one of my favorite movies. I already own it on DVD but I was looking to add it to my blu-ray collection. I guess I will have to be careful.

bread's done
Back