Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice2Dragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
July 29, 2008 Releases

The Band's Visit
Beowulf : Directors Cut (TruHD audio!!! WOOT!)
The Big White
Clear and Present Danger
Dark City
Doomsday (not a bad movie...looks phenomenal!)
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (Unrated?)
Harold and Kumar Go To Guantanemo Bay (Unrated)
Human Body : Pushing The Limits
Hunt For Red October
Lost Boys
Lost Boys : The Tribe (Is this a sequel or a prequel? Anyone)
Mortuary
Never back Down
Patriot Games
Perhaps Love
Robin Hood : Season 1
Salvage
Shine A Light
Stargate : Continuum
Sum Of All Fears
Tiger Blade
Top Gun (Wooo!!!)
Vengeance

Itll be updated every week, sorry guys. Ive had a very busy two weeks @_@

Helpful Links

AVS picture quality tier thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
HDM reviews and new:
High Def Digest

Import Sites
www.xploitedcinema.com

Region Code Listing
http://bluray.liesinc.net

OP will be updated soon with more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chris in Cali']I'm all about Lost. I heard the PQ was excellent, and I'm used to watching it off a download on the net, so I'm know I'm in for a real treat![/quote]

Im tempted to get this as well.> I havent heard anything about it.. no site has reviewed it yet to my knowledge..

But the packaging looks awesome.. and its 54.99.. and next week I think it goes back to 99.99 or something like that..

But I havent seen the other seasons in so long I think id be lost.. literally..

Haha.. I made a pun.

I wish for Pan's they made audio dub's, like those stupid godzilla movies lol.

Pan's will be awesome! Too bad I have to go to the store day after x-mas to get it.. gonna be a blast..

Children of Men is just a bad movie. The atmosphere is top notch and Clive Owen is awesome but I can see how people can like it for what it is but overall not a very good movie. Too many holes.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Children of Men is just a bad movie. The atmosphere is top notch and Clive Owen is awesome but I can see how people can like it for what it is but overall not a very good movie. Too many holes.[/quote]

I didn't think it was all that great either. Okay story, good action, but just didn't have that extra "it"; still a decent flick though.

Clive Owen was better in Inside Man.

Ill update next week's releases sunday.. busy for the weekend..

And the fact that I was banned for a day isnt really a motivation.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Clive Owen was better in Inside Man.

Ill update next week's releases sunday.. busy for the weekend..

And the fact that I was banned for a day isnt really a motivation.[/quote]

how did i miss this?...care to divulge any details?

So is there any difference between the Harry Potter gift set and the standalone discs? The gift set is nice but I do not like the cases that it comes with. If I get more with the gift set I will probably just deal with it.

[quote name='DomLando']So is there any difference between the Harry Potter gift set and the standalone discs? The gift set is nice but I do not like the cases that it comes with. If I get more with the gift set I will probably just deal with it.[/quote]

The gift set comes in a cooler box, you get some cool freebies as well. some pins, some collectors cards, and just all around better storage.. less space than 5 of the movies.

I prefer the collectors set.. but good luck finding one now.. Otherwise I think walmart has the potters at like 20 a pop.. best buy has OOTP overpriced at 32.99

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']The gift set comes in a cooler box, you get some cool freebies as well. some pins, some collectors cards, and just all around better storage.. less space than 5 of the movies.

I prefer the collectors set.. but good luck finding one now.. Otherwise I think walmart has the potters at like 20 a pop.. best buy has OOTP overpriced at 32.99[/QUOTE]
Yeah I already have the gift set just was not that impressed. Thanks for the info though. Amazon does have the gift sets in stock to. So I think they are still easy to find.

[quote name='DomLando']Yeah I already have the gift set just was not that impressed. Thanks for the info though. Amazon does have the gift sets in stock to. So I think they are still easy to find.[/quote]

Every store by me is sold out.. I meant in stores physically.. I rarely shop online

Anyone pick up Lost yet? Wondering how good the PQ is. I also just purchased Prison Break Season 1 off Ebay. How is the PQ and AQ in that overall?

Does anybody have the numbers for Harry Potter BD sales vs. HD sales? I would like to see the first week numbers.

[quote name='DomLando']Anyone pick up Lost yet? Wondering how good the PQ is. I also just purchased Prison Break Season 1 off Ebay. How is the PQ and AQ in that overall?[/QUOTE]

pq on both is supposed to be great...the bigger upgrade though is the audio.

I'd love to hear the Lost score in uncompressed PCM.

[quote name='gsr']pq on both is supposed to be great...the bigger upgrade though is the audio.

I'd love to hear the Lost score in uncompressed PCM.[/quote]

Audio wise 5/5. Compared to the normal TV audio you heard during the show, its a 500 percent improvement from the tv -_-V

PQ wise its also very good.. not as good as OOTP or SOS.. but still good none the less.

Its worth the 60 it was last week.. its back up to 79.99 now..

If you are a fan of the show and seen the other two season, get it.

If you havent seen the other two seasons.. dont see the third.. get the other two on dvd.. then get the blu ray.. otherwise.. yeah.

Sales numbers I havent seen yet.. But Im betting the Blu ray once again out sold the HD version of Potter -_-V

But look at what came out..

HD DVD
Harry potter Set / Each Individual
Bourne Ultimatium
Freedom Vol 3 ( I love these movies.. but there 20 minutes long for 40 bucks.. )

Blu Ray
Lost season 3
Rent
Harry potter Set / Each Individual
HSM 2
SOS

So HD may win for the HP set.. but its 50/50.. sales numbers arent releases till usually monday/tuesday..

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What exactly is the Blu-Ray 1.1 Profile that's included in the PS3 Firmware? I'd appreciate an explanation. Thanks.[/quote]

From blu ray . com

Other updates include a voice changer, which can be used during audio chat and in game, and playback support for DivX video files.

Also supports picture in picture (terminator 3 is the first.)

Should be mentioned somewhere in the thread that problems have been reported with the HP Year 1-5 BD set.

The problem is that many copies of the BD set are shipping with HD-DVD copies of "Goblet of Fire". So anyone picking up the set, be sure to check your discs ASAP.

I finally picked up Spider-Man 3 (BD) via the BOGO at Best Buy. Looks gorgeous.

[quote name='asianxcore']Should be mentioned somewhere in the thread that problems have been reported with the HP Year 1-5 BD set.

The problem is that many copies of the BD set are shipping with HD-DVD copies of "Goblet of Fire". So anyone picking up the set, be sure to check your discs ASAP.

I finally picked up Spider-Man 3 (BD) via the BOGO at Best Buy. Looks gorgeous.[/quote]

Still havent watched it.

SIMPSONS IS 5 STAR DEMO MATERIAL AUDIO PEOPLE! STRONG RECOMMEND TO ANYONE WANTING TO SHOW OFF A 1080p TV!

I couldnt find shakira live anywhere in freaking ohio.. im so bummed -_-V

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Still havent watched it.

SIMPSONS IS 5 STAR DEMO MATERIAL AUDIO PEOPLE! STRONG RECOMMEND TO ANYONE WANTING TO SHOW OFF A 1080p TV!
[/quote]

I'd buy it if the movie were any good.

Can Simpsons really be considered reference material considering its a cartoon? I'm pretty sure something like Pirates otC At World End's final showdown when the ships are fighting is the standard for 5 star demo material.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Can Simpsons really be considered reference material considering its a cartoon? I'm pretty sure something like Pirates otC At World End's final showdown when the ships are fighting is the standard for 5 star demo material.[/quote]

Some Cartoons dont look as crisp and perfect as the simpsons.

The Wild
Surfs Up

Etc etc.

Just because its a Cartoon doesnt mean its not reference, and vice versa.

I would also consider The Wild to be pretty much flawless as well...i was amazed when i watched it, such a shame it came out so much later then Madagascar

I got Paprika on Blu-Ray for .88 cents after I traded in 4/5 free blu-rays that I got in the mail to FYE as I wasn't going to watch them anyways (even on blu-ray, I don't need to see Pearl Harbor). It looks fantastic and was a great mind-fuck. I'd recommend a rental if your not into the whole anime thing.

[quote name='asianxcore']Should be mentioned somewhere in the thread that problems have been reported with the HP Year 1-5 BD set.

The problem is that many copies of the BD set are shipping with HD-DVD copies of "Goblet of Fire". So anyone picking up the set, be sure to check your discs ASAP.[/quote]

Sweet, a free HD-DVD w/Blu-Ray purchase. :lol:

I better check my BR set which I just received today, but I have both formats, so I'm not sure I'll need to do anything about it if that happens to me.

And a bit late for that discussion, but Children of Men was pretty good. At least, from a technical standpoint it's quite brilliant as there several complex action scenes that are just one long shot without any cuts.

[quote name='bigl523']I got Paprika on Blu-Ray for .88 cents after I traded in 4/5 free blu-rays that I got in the mail to FYE as I wasn't going to watch them anyways (even on blu-ray, I don't need to see Pearl Harbor). It looks fantastic and was a great mind-fuck. I'd recommend a rental if your not into the whole anime thing.[/quote]

Im glad someone agrees with me on Paprika.

If you liked that..

Get Tekkonkinkreet and SOS EScape from Tokyo

BOTH AMAZING ANIME MOVIES!

I wanna import some anime. but the problem is most of the time no english sub's.. Sucks.

Clive Owen is a great actor, but he was better in Inside Man, hands down.

Lol, it turns out my Blu-Ray Potter set does have year 4 as an HD-DVD!

I'm not sure if it's worth emailing WHV to see if they'll do anything about it or not. Offhand, I don't mind having either format, although for consistency's sake...

But maybe they'll just send me a Blu-Ray disc for free or something. Anyone care to share their experience on this?

Hmm, i didnt think Paprika looked that great, but it could mainly be to the windowboxing. Pretty much anything that isnt 1.79-1.85 looks like upscaled dvd on my 32" Westy.

I was watching At World's End on a 32" Sony at Best Buy and i couldnt believe the difference. I cant figure out why, I guess it has to do with the tv having 'whitish gray' blacks rather than black blacks, so the bars throw off the beauty of the picture. Even the 1.79 special features of the Simpsons Movie looked leaps and bounds greater than the movie itself. I've tried to mess with the brightness, contract & backlight, but the only way i can actually get black blacks is if i lower it so badly that i can barely make out the picture of the movie. I'm waiting for tax return time before i splurge on a new tv. I'm thinking a nice 60" sony, or something along those lines.

I know its not the best thing to watch with 'the guys' if youre trying to show off your set, but Planet Earth is a must have for reference material.

[quote name='Bezerker']Hmm, i didnt think Paprika looked that great, but it could mainly be to the windowboxing. Pretty much anything that isnt 1.79-1.85 looks like upscaled dvd on my 32" Westy.[/quote]

It looked fine on my 40" 1080p samsung. I did notice that at "just scan" there was some black border all around so it wasnt filling up the full screen with pixels but a quick change to 16:9 fixed that. It's my first real blu-ray movie so I guess I don't have anything to compare it to (other than Blazing Saddles). I didn't see any artifacting or what not so I figured that it was good. It's going to be tough to watch anything non-blu ray from now on :(

I don't know if I'll buy Tekkonkinkreet (maybe a rental) as I'm not sold on the animation in that one. I don't really like anime with that art style.

[quote name='Bezerker']Hmm, i didnt think Paprika looked that great, but it could mainly be to the windowboxing. Pretty much anything that isnt 1.79-1.85 looks like upscaled dvd on my 32" Westy.

I was watching At World's End on a 32" Sony at Best Buy and i couldnt believe the difference. I cant figure out why, I guess it has to do with the tv having 'whitish gray' blacks rather than black blacks, so the bars throw off the beauty of the picture. Even the 1.79 special features of the Simpsons Movie looked leaps and bounds greater than the movie itself. I've tried to mess with the brightness, contract & backlight, but the only way i can actually get black blacks is if i lower it so badly that i can barely make out the picture of the movie. I'm waiting for tax return time before i splurge on a new tv. I'm thinking a nice 60" sony, or something along those lines.

I know its not the best thing to watch with 'the guys' if youre trying to show off your set, but Planet Earth is a must have for reference material.[/quote]

Anything at best buy they try to show off will ALWAYS have lesser quality than what you can have at home.. multiple tv's feeding off of the same signal basically.

Planet Earth is too boring for me.. I just use 28 weeks Later for video and audio.. the fire bomb scene.. .*drools*

I watched Paprika and it wasn't exactly stunning....I hated the movie too. It was boring and annoying (i haven't seen any anime that was actually enjoyable..the stuff is just so out there and doesn't make any sense most of the time).

It is nice to see a variety of titles of coming out instead of junk like ghost rider and XXX that the ps3 crowd loves.

[quote name='bigl523']I got Paprika on Blu-Ray for .88 cents after I traded in 4/5 free blu-rays that I got in the mail to FYE as I wasn't going to watch them anyways (even on blu-ray, I don't need to see Pearl Harbor). It looks fantastic and was a great mind-fuck. I'd recommend a rental if your not into the whole anime thing.[/quote]

where did you do the trade-in... i'll be looking to trade off some of my freebies.... if i ever get them!

[quote name='DestroVega']where did you do the trade-in... i'll be looking to trade off some of my freebies.... if i ever get them![/quote]

I went to FYE and traded them in. The funny thing was because they were still in the shrinkwrap the guy working there thought they were stolen and wouldn't take them at first. It took some explaining but he took them eventually :) It wasn't much (32$ store credit about for 4 blu rays) but I just didn't want to deal with selling them on amazon/ebay.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Anything at best buy they try to show off will ALWAYS have lesser quality than what you can have at home.. multiple tv's feeding off of the same signal basically.
[/quote]
Actually, i meant that the picture on the Sony tv @ Best Buy was leaps and bounds better than what i get at home. I guess it would be expected that Sony would have better specs than Westinghouse.

Pan's will be demo material.

Just finished watching it.

PQ 5/5
Audio 5/5

Havent gotten to watching the added material as of yet.. supplements that is..

Audio is great.. 7.1 is spanish surround.. but there's subtitles :)

BR release is a definite improvement, definite buy..

ALso, Picked up WAR today at walmart.. anyone interested in that .. check walmart.

Anyone actually buy Rush Hour 3? Was curious about how pq was..

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']BR release is a definite improvement, definite buy..

ALso, Picked up WAR today at walmart.. anyone interested in that .. check walmart.

Anyone actually buy Rush Hour 3? Was curious about how pq was..[/QUOTE]
How much was War going for?

Has anyone seen Resident Evil: Apocalypse? I'm going to rent it later today, and I had seen some members on the forums talking about how they had it a week or two ago.. my Target already had the UMD version for sale, but no DVD or BD version of it..

[quote name='Scorch']Has anyone seen Resident Evil: Apocalypse? I'm going to rent it later today, and I had seen some members on the forums talking about how they had it a week or two ago.. my Target already had the UMD version for sale, but no DVD or BD version of it..[/quote]

I have it for sale.. 12 shipped ^_^

Its great pq/aq. Its a great second edition to the movie.

I just have no use for it since the trilogy comes out on the 2nd.

RE APOC was really rare for a long time.. no one carried it.. but now it should be all over the place ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back