Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice2Dragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
July 29, 2008 Releases

The Band's Visit
Beowulf : Directors Cut (TruHD audio!!! WOOT!)
The Big White
Clear and Present Danger
Dark City
Doomsday (not a bad movie...looks phenomenal!)
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (Unrated?)
Harold and Kumar Go To Guantanemo Bay (Unrated)
Human Body : Pushing The Limits
Hunt For Red October
Lost Boys
Lost Boys : The Tribe (Is this a sequel or a prequel? Anyone)
Mortuary
Never back Down
Patriot Games
Perhaps Love
Robin Hood : Season 1
Salvage
Shine A Light
Stargate : Continuum
Sum Of All Fears
Tiger Blade
Top Gun (Wooo!!!)
Vengeance

Itll be updated every week, sorry guys. Ive had a very busy two weeks @_@

Helpful Links

AVS picture quality tier thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
HDM reviews and new:
High Def Digest

Import Sites
www.xploitedcinema.com

Region Code Listing
http://bluray.liesinc.net

OP will be updated soon with more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedvsBlue']Even if this means the death of HD DVD, it doesn't necessarily guarantee the success of Blu Ray...[/quote]

Sure as hell does, no other format can come and get any big studio support after this fiasco. They will probably move to blu ray if hd dvd dies and no company is going to want to support yet another format trying to make themselves. If anything at all a new disc for storage will come but not movie studio support. People are slowly moving to HD and blu ray will pick up sales maybe slowly but there will be no other competition to keep it from a success.

[quote name='panasonic']Sure as hell does, no other format can come and get any big studio support after this fiasco. They will probably move to blu ray if hd dvd dies and no company is going to want to support yet another format trying to make themselves. If anything at all a new disc for storage will come but not movie studio support. People are slowly moving to HD and blu ray will pick up sales maybe slowly but there will be no other competition to keep it from a success.[/QUOTE]

Most people I know arent interested in re-purchasing dvds in the high definition formats... I dont think BR will come close to achieving the success of dvd... just because they are going to be the only game in town doesnt mean everyone is going to rush out any buy one

[quote name='zman73']Most people I know arent interested in re-purchasing dvds in the high definition formats... I dont think BR will come close to achieving the success of dvd... just because they are going to be the only game in town doesnt mean everyone is going to rush out any buy one[/QUOTE]

Bingo, just because they have the potential to corner the market on high definition movies doesn't mean high definition movies will become the standard. Everyone's really making far too much out of this whole thing really but eh I dunno I guess as someone who owns and enjoys aspects of both formats I could really give 2 shits about who's exclusive and who's not.

Why do you rebuy old movies? you probably rebought movies on dvd you might get a few on blu ray? New movies are still being made and as time goes by they can drop the msrp to like $19.99 and if stores do a good job making it seem like dvd is a waste when you can buy a blu ray, like comparison videos then it can sell well. With only one market though it doesn't matter how fast it takes anymore if it takes 5 years to take off it doesn't have competition to be afraid of. Its just hoping as more hd tvs are being bought people will want to use it.

[quote name='Kendal']Does the PS3 do this profile 1.1 picture in picture that RE3 is talking about? I have no idea what it is or what it does.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it updated with BD profile 1.1 in the latest PS3 firmware update.

I don't own RE3, though, so I don't know how well it runs on the PS3. I would like some other people's impressions, though.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but didn't VHS sales sky rocket after BETAMAX fell? Like I read at another site, many people where holding off until there was a single format will this be enough to get them to go buy? That's the question.

[quote name='zman73']Most people I know arent interested in re-purchasing dvds in the high definition formats... I dont think BR will come close to achieving the success of dvd... just because they are going to be the only game in town doesnt mean everyone is going to rush out any buy one[/QUOTE]

Unless it's dirt cheap, there is no way in hell I'm rebuying what I already own.

Blu-Ray seems to have an edge, but honestly, at the prices they're asking I'd rather see the movie in a theatre and hold back until the price bubble pops a little bit.

[quote name='rywateska']Unless it's dirt cheap, there is no way in hell I'm rebuying what I already own.

Blu-Ray seems to have an edge, but honestly, at the prices they're asking I'd rather see the movie in a theatre and hold back until the price bubble pops a little bit.[/quote]

I get most of my Blu-Rays at $15 or less and a trip to the movie theater costs me $9.50. Going to the theater is definitely cheaper, but for 15 bucks I can watch it as many times as I'd like and until I can find a DLP theater around SoCal, I get a better picture at home.

[quote name='Bezerker']Found something interesting, the $10 off $10 GCO through Buy.com works when you purchase from Deepdiscount using Buy.com.

Just search for the item you want and on the right side, it'll have other retailer's prices. Deepdiscount should be listed under most items, and its got the same prices on DD's site (free shipping too!).

With the new Paypal Plug in (Virtual debit card) you can now do unlimited $10 off $10 GCO's. I just ordered the first 4 volumes of Masters of Horror on Blu-Ray for $8.10 shipped each. Not bad at all![/quote]

nice! Ive had all four since they came out.. disappointed in the picture and audio.. but overall they are good purchases for that price.. not for 24.99 a pop. Damn nice find though ^_^

Yes, RE3 with the 1.1 profile works great.. so does sunshine.. Sunshine is a great looking movie. Fair warning.. it turns bad for the last 30 minutes.. really disappointed by it.. still a great movie..

No kidding. I get my blu rays 18 each, new releases or old, never pay more than 20 unless an instore bonus, like the RE tote bag for example.

Glad to see its happened, HD DVD RIP 06-08.

Now we can see huge rows of blu ray after May -_-V

Hello bankruptcy HD DVD :)

[quote name='rywateska']Unless it's dirt cheap, there is no way in hell I'm rebuying what I already own.[/QUOTE]

That argument gets used a lot, so it's simple. Just buy BR from now on, unless it's only on HD-DEAD. In that case, just regular DVD. Eventually even VHS stopped being made despite being cheaper than DVD...

I suspect this means the HD version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy will be a BluRay exclusive then. Assuming Warner Home Video owns the rights to produce them in HD.

To me, this would be the equivalent of The Matrix coming out on DVD (A very large pointy nail for VHS).

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Eventually even VHS stopped being made despite being cheaper than DVD...[/QUOTE]

When DVD hit it's stride, VHS was much more expensive to produce.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']When DVD hit it's stride, VHS was much more expensive to produce.[/QUOTE]

So true... they take alot longer to produce too...

The advantages from VHS to DVD in terms of quality of image, sound, space taken up were amazing... comparing it to when people switched from tapes to cds...

There are superior "cd" type formats for example... can you say SA-CD... brought to you by Sony I believe... that and the dvd audio never caught on with the masses

But while it is not THAT bad with the newer hd disc formats, most people Ive talked about it with dont even seem to care about it... and I dont know too many people with huge hdtvs that would benefit the most from the switch... most people are so clueless about hdtv anyway that anything other than dvds scares them. (Think of the people who buy hdtvs who think that is ALL they need to have hd picture)

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']

Yes, RE3 with the 1.1 profile works great.. [/QUOTE]

i disagree

the PiP box is way too small and the audio isn't consistantly the same level. it isn't anywhere close to any PiP I've seen in HD DVD in terms of quality

i haven't been able to buy sunshine yet, but i read that their PiP is only 18 minutes long

Good point zman. I too know alot of people who think just because they have a HDTV everything is now HighDef. I work with alot of over 50 crowd, and I do have to say they surprise me sometimes with what they know. I have had several ask me which format to buy. I have also had a few ask me why anybody would buy a stand alone BR player when you can get a PS3 for about the same price. So there are some informed people out there. Maybe with this news being plastered all over the net, and with retail stores probably fazing out HD, more people will be informed. Maybe.

i dont care what the haters say, this is good for the people in this forum at least
prices might go up initially, but eventually they'll stabilize
this was gonna happen at some point with one of the formats
better sooner than later, and better blu ray than hd-dvd
hopefully universal jumps ship asap & makes this thing official

I really don't care. I still just want a quality, affordable combo (BR/HD) player. They both use the same laser, right? It doesn't seem like it'd be very hard. They have computer drives that play both, why not standalone?

[quote name='Koggit']I really don't care. I still just want a quality, affordable combo (BR/HD) player. They both use the same laser, right? It doesn't seem like it'd be very hard. They have computer drives that play both, why not standalone?[/quote]

Christ.. are you serious?

A little bit cheaper to make an add on for a computer or a disc drive that just fits into a computer.. rather than a stand alone player that does the same thing @_@

All I know is that Bill Limba--I mean, Hunt--will have a raging hard-on for the remainder of this very, very young year. What a zealot.

Suddenly, getting that Toshiba HD-DVD player on Amazon last week for $179.99 (plus the ten free discs when it's all said and done) makes ominous sense. 'Congrats', Sony. After so many tries, you finally got your way. Now people might actually have a halfway decent motivation to buy your game console before 2010! EDIT: Seriously, will The Dark Knight be the masses' 'killer app' for the PS3 in 2008? That doesn't seem that far-fetched now.

EDIT Dos: And now New Line is "Bru-Ray" exclusive. Cue "Taps", please.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']When DVD hit it's stride, VHS was much more expensive to produce.[/quote]

I didn't say anything about production, I meant price-wise. When movies were still being released on both formats, the VHS copy was always $4-5 cheaper to buy. Eventually, people stopped buying VHS tapes because
a) people finally bought a DVD player (they started at over $400, then dropped to a more acceptable price over time)
b) VHS tapes weren't being made anymore

Eventually, everyone will have to own an HDTV. Old TV sets will die, replaced by newer technology. Even ATSC signals are going the way of the Dodo, that range is going to be used for other things. It's progress, plain and simple. Blu-Ray may seem complicated now, but how many people used to complain that they couldn't set their VCR's clock? :lol: Those are the same type of people that don't get BR. BR isn't even that complicated, the media type and hardware is practically a DVD player.

Prices will drop over time, and eventually BR will be replaced by... who knows, but guarantted that people will bitch that they don't like it/don't get it/it's too expensive when it happens.

[quote name='karkyco']To hell with that, I wish the format wars would continue indefinitely, since the competition is the only reason they are undercutting each other left and right and having these BOGO sales in the first place.[/QUOTE]

While I don't want the "war" to continue, I have to agree with your BOGO comment. We wont see the likes of such deals anywhere once a format is finally chosen.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Even ATSC signals are going the way of the Dodo, that range is going to be used for other things. [/QUOTE]

Um, would you mind telling me where you heard this interesting tidbit? Because, if I am not mistaken, this violates all sorts of federal laws.

[quote name='help1']If MS is smart, they will dump HDDVD right now.[/QUOTE]

Ms never fully exclusively supports HD-DVD. What they really support is Digital Downloads. There is no exclusivity contract in place with MS and HD-DVD.

Even though I just (and I mean JUST) bought an HD-DVD player, assuming Blu-Ray 'wins' within the next 12-24 months, does that mean it'll stave off Microsoft's highly-desired 'download-only' scenario for at least another five years? If so, it's an inconvenience I'm willing to deal with for the long-term benefits of keeping hard copies and ACTUALLY OWNING MOVIES in the pipeline for years to come.

[quote name='Koggit']I really don't care. I still just want a quality, affordable combo (BR/HD) player. They both use the same laser, right? It doesn't seem like it'd be very hard. They have computer drives that play both, why not standalone?[/quote]

The lasers are in fact very different. There's really no reason to pursue a combo drive from the perspective of the CE manufacturers. It would be like selling consumers a DVD standalone that also plays VHS as well as Beta.

on bb.com i dont see the option for the tote anymore..

it mentions the offer but i dont actually see where to add it in cart..

fuck

also i dont see the set on amazon.... strange

[quote name='guyver2077']on bb.com i dont see the option for the tote anymore..

it mentions the offer but i dont actually see where to add it in cart..

fuck

also i dont see the set on amazon.... strange[/quote]

Amazon didnt have it.. dunno why. they have each individually though.

The tote was a day only thing.. the totes alone are going for 30+ on ebay lol

I'm about to go Blu, since HD is about to be annihilated in a few short months, is there any other deals out there for free Blu-rays for the PS3 outside of the five free mail-in offer one? Like I know at Best Buy you get 5 free instantly if you buy a certain player, but are there any similar somewhere but with a PS3, say the 80GB model?

[quote name='dg7md']I'm about to go Blu, since HD is about to be annihilated in a few short months, is there any other deals out there for free Blu-rays for the PS3 outside of the five free mail-in offer one? Like I know at Best Buy you get 5 free instantly if you buy a certain player, but are there any similar somewhere but with a PS3, say the 80GB model?[/quote]

No not yet, today I think is the last day for 10 free blu ray movies at best buy, five mail five instant.

You missed an insane deal at walmart a month ago.. buy a 499 ps3, get 15 free blu rays..

im sure one will pop up soon ^_^

[quote name='guyver2077']i went to bb and they did not have resident evil anywhere... wtf

no extinction or trilogy on bd[/QUOTE]

my bb had like 100 trilogies or so on tuesday
and 150 or so stand alones on blu

went in today and had 0 for both

guess this is the #1 title for the week

Shame that GCO doesnt work on pre-orders. Deepdiscount has Dogma on Blu-Ray for $11.90 after GCO. Hopefully GCO will last 2 more months.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Everyone's really making far too much out of this whole thing really[/QUOTE]

In terms of movies? Quite possibly. Very possibly, in fact.

However, one thing that truly matters is that this is almost damn sure (you never can tell with Nintendo) the last generation of consoles that will use DVD technology in their consoles. If HD DVD is killed off, then MS and Nintendo will either have to stay with DVD (which is *beginning* to show its limitations already, if just barely), go with BD (and make Sony money for every MS/Nintendo console and software sold), or spend R&D trying to make their own proprietary disc format (GD-ROM, anyone? That worked out real well :lol:).

Now, MS or Nintendo could make a DLC-only console, but if you thought Sony including the Blu-Ray in the PS3 was a stupendously bad idea (for their gaming marketshare), wait until someone tries to go the pure digital distribution route. With that in mind, it's almost a lock that the Next iteration of the Xbox and Wii will use BD technology. And, knowing that, it's a big fuckin' deal for Sony.

Additionally, just like DVD encroached on VHS' territory in store shelves, retailers and buyers will do the same. YOU may not want to buy BD, but if they want to sell it to you, they may prematurely reduce DVD's shelfspace, bring down BD prices, and give them the bulk of the shelf space. People will still buy it. You know better than to think consumers will not buy what's on store shelves if it's the bulk of what's there.

Moreover, since DVD sales are down 4.5% on the year, studios may want to move to BD even faster in order to gain sales via people rebuying their collection.

[quote name='daphatty']Um, would you mind telling me where you heard this interesting tidbit? Because, if I am not mistaken, this violates all sorts of federal laws.[/QUOTE]
Wikipedia has all the gory details, and sorry I meant NTSC. ATSC is the newer digital standard replacing analog NTSC signals by 2009, mandated by your country's FCC. Free-to-air analog stations are almost extinct!
Of course, free-to-air digital is better anyway, but you need a compatible HDTV to get it.

Cool, 3:10 to Yuma is this week. Never did see the original, so at least it won't cloud my judgment of what's been generally well received with this remake.

Haven't seen any movement on my amazon pre-order yet, though.

Edit: hm, I'm wondering if I should just sell my copy of RE Apocalypse (part of the 5 free deal) and get the Trilogy. Kinda regret selecting it now. :/

[quote name='gunm']Cool, 3:10 to Yuma is this week. Never did see the original, so at least it won't cloud my judgment of what's been generally well received with this remake.

Haven't seen any movement on my amazon pre-order yet, though.

Edit: hm, I'm wondering if I should just sell my copy of RE Apocalypse (part of the 5 free deal) and get the Trilogy. Kinda regret selecting it now. :/[/quote]

or just buy the trilogy and hawk that version, either works. The trilogy is a serious must buy though.

Sunshine is a great movie.. kinda turns halfway through though ^_^

And Im excited about 3:10 to Yuma.. loved the original.. and I am a huge Christian Bale fan ever since American Psycho. Gotta love Huey lewis and the news.

Picked up Sunshine at my local Movie Gallery.(the only place in my area that rents blu-rays) Also picked up 3:10 to Yuma on dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back