Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice2Dragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
July 29, 2008 Releases

The Band's Visit
Beowulf : Directors Cut (TruHD audio!!! WOOT!)
The Big White
Clear and Present Danger
Dark City
Doomsday (not a bad movie...looks phenomenal!)
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (Unrated?)
Harold and Kumar Go To Guantanemo Bay (Unrated)
Human Body : Pushing The Limits
Hunt For Red October
Lost Boys
Lost Boys : The Tribe (Is this a sequel or a prequel? Anyone)
Mortuary
Never back Down
Patriot Games
Perhaps Love
Robin Hood : Season 1
Salvage
Shine A Light
Stargate : Continuum
Sum Of All Fears
Tiger Blade
Top Gun (Wooo!!!)
Vengeance

Itll be updated every week, sorry guys. Ive had a very busy two weeks @_@

Helpful Links

AVS picture quality tier thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
HDM reviews and new:
High Def Digest

Import Sites
www.xploitedcinema.com

Region Code Listing
http://bluray.liesinc.net

OP will be updated soon with more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have like 10 of those at the BB I work at just sitting in a cabinet. Its just a preview disc of movies out already from Disney, Finding Nemo, and Narnia. I don't see how it would be worth anything.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I also have a few of these:

You want one?[/quote]If you're inclined, you can ship one out to me.;)

Regarding that ID4 review and the YouTube video a few posts above, was that a different region with all that supplement/extras? Or did I just misconstrue the video and that it was just a snazzy menu, with not much content as the reviews have stated?

Some strong language in that ID4 review:

D-Box - Finally, Fox has encoded D-Box motion control commands into 'ID4,' so if you have one of the company's custom home theater chairs, you can feel a little rumble every time one of the aliens blows shit up.

Amid rumors that Microsoft is in talks to add Blu-ray support to its Xbox 360 game console, CEO Steve Ballmer has indicated the company’s intention to support the remaining high-def format.

As reported by The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer took part in an onstage conversation at the company’s Mix08 Internet conference in Las Vegas Thursday, where the topics discussed included Microsoft’s high-def plans following the discontinuation of Toshiba’s HD DVD format.

Without offering specifics, Ballmer said the company will work to support Blu-ray. “We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like,” Ballmer stated. “I think the world moves on. Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense.”

Make a Blu-Ray attachment for the 360, you fucks :bomb:

haha same thing i thought when i read that sentence about blowing shit up

i've read almost all of his reviews and never read him curse before

[quote name='Sporadic']Make a Blu-Ray attachment for the 360, you fucks :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Which would probably be like....200.00. Why not just buy a PS3?

[quote name='seanr1221']Which would probably be like....200.00. Why not just buy a PS3?[/QUOTE]

Man, just don't do it. Just don't. ;)

Am I the only one who sees this MS/Sony talk as silly or strange? The BDA gets the sayso on BD tech, not just Sony. Moreover, if Microsoft is going to make any move at all, it's going to be to include BD playback in Windows Vista or something (if it's isn't there yet).

[quote name='seanr1221']Which would probably be like....200.00. Why not just buy a PS3?[/QUOTE]

Because A) I don't have any more free ports on my monitor, B) the PS3 doesn't have a official set of VGA cables like the 360 and C) I'd much rather just buy another add-on for $200 instead of a console for $400 that I'll never use for anything besides movies.

I kicked around the idea of buying a internal drive for my computer but it's not strong enough and I wouldn't be able to use my bitching new wireless headphones I bought for the 360/HD-DVD.

[quote name='mykevermin']Am I the only one who sees this MS/Sony talk as silly or strange? The BDA gets the sayso on BD tech, not just Sony. Moreover, if Microsoft is going to make any move at all, it's going to be to include BD playback in Windows Vista or something (if it's isn't there yet).[/QUOTE]

Vista didn't even have HD-DVD playback (the drivers were there but you had to use a third-party player)

[quote name='dallow']Watching Triplets of Belleville on wireless headphones.......

I could cry.[/QUOTE]

What's the matter with that?

I had it hooked up to my computer 5.1 system but with the noise pollution from the 360/AC window unit mixed with the fact I couldn't have it very loud, most of the time I could barely hear it and had to rely on subtitles.

With my wireless headphones, I get to actually hear the soundtrack and I don't have to worry about bothering anybody (since I usually watch movies very late at night)

Also, I only paid $60 for them which was :cool:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Wireless-Headphones-Charging-Cradle/dp/B0001FTVEK

I'm one of the weird ones that cares more about the audio than the picture quality.

And yes, I'm still crying.

My headphones are same brand though, good choice. But I'd never get wireless ones.

I rarely use them for movies, but mine cost about $250, and I have the Dolby Headphone option. The phantom 5.1 works really well, just sucks I have to plug in an optical cable to the PS3, then to my headphones each time.

[quote name='dallow']I'm one of the weird ones that cares more about the audio than the picture quality.

And yes, I'm still crying.[/QUOTE]

I'm uncultured swine when it comes to audio ;)

In my eyes, it only gets so good and most of the time, even the default tracks are good enough.

[quote name='dallow']My headphones are same brand though, good choice. But I'd never get wireless ones.[/QUOTE]

Why's that?

I don't any type of hiss or anything unless I really crank them (past the point of pain) or walk out to my mailbox.

Wireless just isn't a good option for audio. If it isn't the hiss and occasional static as you mentioned, it's the fact that they sound too "bright" for my ears. Though there are some quality ones, I'll admit.
Then again, I have tons electronics and gizmos, so there's tons of interfence with wireless headphones.

My headphone cable is thick as heck. :)

I hate to be 'that guy' but does anyone know if there's a planned release of Gladiator on Blu-Ray? I believe it's a Dreamworks picture if that means anything. Thanks for answering my asenine question in advance.

No plans yet. If it does come this year, I'd expect it in the 4th quarter, to capitalize on holiday shopping. But there are no guarantees.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I hate to be 'that guy' but does anyone know if there's a planned release of Gladiator on Blu-Ray? I believe it's a Dreamworks picture if that means anything. Thanks for answering my asenine question in advance.[/quote]

It's one of my favorite films of well and can't wait. It's on Max HD all the time and even looks awesome on that.

[quote name='geko29']No plans yet. If it does come this year, I'd expect it in the 4th quarter, to capitalize on holiday shopping. But there are no guarantees.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

this sounds stupid, but can anyone find the documentary on the rescue dawn disk?

HDD says there is one but the menus are really hard to navigate and i can't seem to find it

maybei 'm just too tired and gave up quickly, but the colors for the cursor are basically the same color as the background and you can't tell whats highlighted

With the war over and done with, I figured it makes much more sense to keep both HD DVD and Blu-Ray threads here in the DVD/HD DVD/Blu-Ray Deals Forum.

Just ordered a Blu-ray movie from Amazon and the 10% that was supposed to be over the beginning of the year was still working for me. Anyone else that had that promotion, still work?

Keep quiet about it. ;)

I just No Country FOM with that $10 coupon.
I'll get Gattica this weekend, and probably take advantage of that BOGO at Target for the only 2 titles I'm interested in.

Dirty Harry COLLECTOR'S EDITION boxset looks nice.

dirtyharry.jpg

Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collector's Edition boxset -- 6/13/08, $129.99

Dirty Harry

* New Commentary by Richard Schickel -- Filmmaker and Eastwood biographer Schickel examines the landmark film that revolutionized cinematic crime drama for all time.
* New Featurette: The Long Shadow of Dirty Harry -- An examination of the influence and legacy of Dirty Harry.
* Featurette Dirty Harry: The Original -- Clint Eastwood and the film’s creators look back at the birth of the modern action hero: Dirty Harry.
* Featurette Dirty Harry’s Way -- A promotional short on the movie Dirty Harry focusing on the toughness of the movies’ main characters.
* Interview Gallery -- Includes interviews with Patricia Clarkson, Joel Cox, Clint Eastwood, Hal Holbrook, Evan Kim, John Milius, Ted Post, Andy Robinson, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Robert Urich.
* 1993 TV Special Clint Eastwood: The Man from Malpaso -- A look at the life and career of actor/director Clint Eastwood, including scenes from his past film and television work and interviews with friends, fellow actors and crew members who have worked with him over the years.
* Trailer Gallery -- Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool

Magnum Force

* New Commentary by writer John Milius -- In this gritty, entertaining commentary, legendary Hollywood screenwriter Milius discusses Eastwood, the world of Dirty Harry and the rugged resilience of crime drama in American cinema.
* New Featurette A Moral Right: The Politics of Dirty Harry -- Filmmakers, social scientists and authors take a provocative look at the moral, political and ethical themes of the Dirty Harry films.
* The Hero Cop: Yesterday and Today
* Trailer Gallery

The Enforcer

* New Commentary by director James Fargo. Director Fargo takes an entertaining look at the film that launched his career as a director, including the day Clint Eastwood nonchalantly let him know he had the job.
* New Featurette The Business End: Violence in Cinema An unflinching look at the ongoing debate on violence in cinema.
* Featurette Harry Callahan/Clint Eastwood: Something Special in Films
* Trailer Gallery

Sudden Impact

* New Commentary by renowned film critic Richard Schickel -- Author and longtime Eastwood associate Schickel uncovers layers of meaning in this, the only Dirty Harry film directed by Eastwood himself
* New Featurette The Evolution of Clint Eastwood -- An examination of the film in the context of Eastwood’s broader career as a director.
* Trailer Gallery

The Dead Pool

* New Commentary by producer David Valdes and Cinematographer Jack N. Green, who discuss the challenging and rewarding experience making this the final chapter in the Dirty Harry series.
* New Featurette The Craft of Dirty Harry -- A look at the cinematographers, editors, musicians, production designers and other talent of the Dirty Harry series.
* Trailer Gallery

Additional special features and content specific to the Ultimate Collector’s Edition

* Bonus Feature-Length documentary Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows
* 40+ page hardcover book
* Wallet w/metal badge and removable laminated I.D. card
* Five 5”x 7” Reproduction Lobby Poster Cards plus an exclusive UCE card
* Scorpio Portrait of a Killer Poster-Sized (19” x 27”) map of San Francisco detailing Harry’s hunt for the killer
* Never-Before-Seen Production Correspondence

[quote name='Morphine']That s some pretty good collector edition, but $129 :S[/quote]
$90 with Amazon's standard 30% off, so $18/movie--for what looks to be a MOST impressive package. Not too bad, IMO.

I just can't understand why the studios are holding back on the big guns. I understand it costs money to create the high def masters and all, but early adopters would love to see Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, James Bond, Star Trek (the movies), Alien series, Predator and the like and would be willing to double dip. It took a long time for The Matrix and Harry Potter to come out and they have been selling well from what I understand.

Instead we get Alexander and Eragon. I support both formats even now but the studios really need to open the archives and give us the goods. I suspect we won't see Star Wars or Indiana Jones any time soon since Lucas and company will want to milk it some more.

[quote name='Sarang01']WTF is the 3rd film?[/QUOTE]

Park Chan-wook's "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"

Is simply a stunning revenge flick. A must buy for me.

Park Chan-wook is probably the greatest living director in my book.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
revbrsnen1kl.jpg

Anyone seen Revolver yet? I'm a Statham fan and I was wondering about this film...its an import though.[/QUOTE]

I love Guy Ritchie, but have waited on this because it got shit reviews. I'll bite when it's cheap on hi def.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
revbrsnen1kl.jpg

Anyone seen Revolver yet? I'm a Statham fan and I was wondering about this film...its an import though.[/quote]It says "BRILLIANT" right on the cover, so I'm gonna have to believe that it is. Just look at the font size. Almost as big as the movie title itself. And all in caps. It's gotta be good.;)

[quote name='SteveMcQ']It says "BRILLIANT" right on the cover, so I'm gonna have to believe that it is. Just look at the font size. Almost as big as the movie title itself. And all in caps. It's gotta be good.;)[/quote]

Can't argue with that...checking out on website right now...

*end sarcasm* :lol:

So anyone want to help explain the ending to No Country for Old Men? I really like the movie, but I don't totally grasp the ending. I am going to watch it again tomorrow and see if I can pick up new things from it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Can't wait for Gattaca. One of my favorite movies.[/quote]

Dying to grab this, too...any deals cheaper than Amazon's $20?

i'm guessing the movie will mean different things based on your life experiences, but i thought it meant

that when you're younger you think you can make an impact on the world, and things will always work out for you. thats why moss (i forget the names seen it in theaters, haven't watched blu ray yet) thinks he can just steal the money and get away with it even when the guy is tracking him down. his foolishness cost him his life basically, it was obvious he was over matched yet he turned down help from woody harrelson's character and refused to save his wife's life when it was pretty obvious he was goign to get both of them killed.

tommy lee's character is older and wiser and realizes that no matter what he does the world isn't going to change, so he's gone to more of an observer of life than participating in life. there was a couple times where he could of confronted javier whoever's character, but chickened out. in his youth he might of been able to do this and think what he is doing is going to help, but he's old now and he knows what he does isn't goign to matter any so he ends up chickening out and retiring.

batman begins blu ray july 8th

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2&newsid=12310

Two Blu-ray editions are in the works: a single-disc version at $28.99, and as part of a limited-edition gift set at $49.99. The gift set also includes a Batman Begins motion art lenticular, exclusive photos, script pages, storyboards, five collectible Batman Begins postcards and $7.50 in movie cash toward a Dark Knight ticket. Both the standalone version and gift set Blu-ray releases include an exclusive comic book prologue to The Dark Knight.

How was I am Legend? I enjoy Will Smith(not a favorite, but he doesn't bug me). I never saw the movie, but wanted to.It is coming out next week and I have some extra money to spend.

[quote name='Kendal']How was I am Legend? I enjoy Will Smith(not a favorite, but he doesn't bug me). I never saw the movie, but wanted to.It is coming out next week and I have some extra money to spend.[/quote]

If you've read the book, it will piss you off (as it did me), its annoying as all hell.

Taken alone, I'd say its at best a rental. Will is pretty good in it IMO, but the story has flaws.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']If you've read the book, it will piss you off (as it did me), its annoying as all hell.

Taken alone, I'd say its at best a rental. Will is pretty good in it IMO, but the story has flaws.[/quote]

I will NFlix it. I can put my money towards Bully on the 360 or Metal Gear Solid collection.

Wow, I Robot got a GLOWING review at HDD.
I never saw it, but I guess it's worth it for the audio and visual feast, and to see what they've done to one of my favorite stories...

[quote name='dallow']Wow, I Robot got a GLOWING review at HDD.
I never saw it, but I guess it's worth it for the audio and visual feast, and to see what they've done to one of my favorite stories...[/QUOTE]

I, Robot is a great movie if you can get past the fact that they combined elements from different stories. It's not a completly faithful adaptation. Plus the product placement is almost nausiating, and hampers the mood a bit. Alex Proyas is a brilliant filmmaker though, so i'm sure you'll dig it.

[quote name='Kendal']How was I am Legend? I enjoy Will Smith(not a favorite, but he doesn't bug me). I never saw the movie, but wanted to.It is coming out next week and I have some extra money to spend.[/QUOTE]

DVDTown gave I Am Legend a great review. I'm looking to get it from Netflix on Tuesday as well. If its as good as advertised, i am sure it'll be part of a B1g1 soon enough.

[quote name='rsigley']batman begins blu ray july 8th

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2&newsid=12310

Two Blu-ray editions are in the works: a single-disc version at $28.99, and as part of a limited-edition gift set at $49.99. The gift set also includes a Batman Begins motion art lenticular, exclusive photos, script pages, storyboards, five collectible Batman Begins postcards and $7.50 in movie cash toward a Dark Knight ticket. Both the standalone version and gift set Blu-ray releases include an exclusive comic book prologue to The Dark Knight.[/quote]

Too bad it doesn't include the 128mb Batman flash drive that the DVD will have:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Warner also will re-release Batman Begins on DVD, re-packaged as a $39.92 gift set that includes a 128MB Batman flash drive...[/FONT]

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I just can't understand why the studios are holding back on the big guns. I understand it costs money to create the high def masters and all, but early adopters would love to see Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, James Bond, Star Trek (the movies), Alien series, Predator and the like and would be willing to double dip. It took a long time for The Matrix and Harry Potter to come out and they have been selling well from what I understand.

Instead we get Alexander and Eragon. I support both formats even now but the studios really need to open the archives and give us the goods. I suspect we won't see Star Wars or Indiana Jones any time soon since Lucas and company will want to milk it some more.[/quote]

Predator already has a release date. http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/609/predator.html

But I completely agree with the rest of your statements. I would also like Forrest Gump on there as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back