Blue Dragon Xbox 360 $5.00 TOYSRUS

Is 10 dollars and some change on Amazon, good for prime members probably get it a bit faster, its sold by NYC Electronics but fulfilled by Amazon.

supposed to be a good game - but considering my backlog, I'm not going to bother driving 30 minutes to the nearest TRU to check it out.

I picked it up for $5 at Kmart a couple of months ago... I guess if everyone likes it so much, I may open and play it. I'm not a big fan of JRPG's - is that what this is???

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I picked it up for $5 at Kmart a couple of months ago... I guess if everyone likes it so much, I may open and play it. I'm not a big fan of JRPG's - is that what this is???[/QUOTE]Yep, it's basically the Chrono Trigger of this generation. I personally haven't finished it yet, but it's really great from what I did play of it.

Oh man I'm definitely rebuying this. I was happy when I paid $25 for it. I don't really care too much for JRPGS but I love Mistwalker games.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']It DOES give me a chrono trigger vibe when playing it.[/QUOTE]This sorta' reminds me of the time when I was talking to a friend of mine who already beat the game and I said the same thing to him as I got to the end of disk one. I remember him being like "Dude, what!? There's no wa.........fuck man, you're totally right!" lol

Not even the vibe though, but look who worked on the game (Sakaguchi, Toriyama and Uematsu). I personally always looked at the game as a spiritual successor to Trigger, kinda more-so than Cross in a lot of sense. I'm even surprised a lot of reviews didn't bring that up.

Ugh no go at my local toyrus (not in stock anyyyyyywhere, neither bargin bins nor shelf nor glass case behind counter). But, yeah, they had 30 samba de amigos. Figures. Next toysrus is only like, an hour from here. No big deal.... bleh

I got this from TRU when it dropped to $8 over a year ago (still haven't played it yet, but that's another story). There can't be too many left hanging around stores.

[quote name='Diebythesword']2 for 30 deal aye? :shock:[/QUOTE]
Lol, I saw that. What, are they double-charging for shipping?

I scored this awhile ago on newegg for about 7 or 8 shipped and no tax. The game is great but i find this normally $10 shipped or a little less.

[quote name='ryushe']Yep, it's basically the Chrono Trigger of this generation. I personally haven't finished it yet, but it's really great from what I did play of it.[/QUOTE]

Really? I played the demo and couldn't have hated it more. I haven't seen the "Chrono Trigger" of this generation, but I'm pretty sure that it'd actually be good.

I picked this up on eBay for cheap a while ago (I think it was just under $10 shipped for a brand new copy). I'm sure eBay still has a ton of copies floating around for those CAGs not finding this at TRU.

Don't waste your money.

I liked the mechanics of the game, however the characters and the story are just disgustingly annoying and childish. If you can get past that, then you will have SOME fun.

Please stop with the Chrono Trigger comparisons, that game was a masterpiece. This game is a mediocre attempt at best.

[quote name='ryushe']Yep, it's basically the Chrono Trigger of this generation. I personally haven't finished it yet, but it's really great from what I did play of it.[/QUOTE]

Wow I guess we have different tastes but I don't know anyone who would say this is the Chrono Trigger quality JRPG of this generation. Did you mean as gameplay style?

I can name several different JRPG's I feel are better (Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4.)

If you hate random battles and that's why you made the Chrono Trigger reference, the first 4 I mentioned don't have random battles. Not sure about the Persona games but I think they still have them.

All of those except for Tales of Vesperia are $20-$30 and I would highly recommend them over Blue Dragon. Blue Dragon is not bad, especially for $5, but it's not the best JRPG this gen IMO.

[quote name='hpv']Really? I played the demo and couldn't have hated it more. I haven't seen the "Chrono Trigger" of this generation, but I'm pretty sure that it'd actually be good.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, or Lost Odyssey? I would say those are the 3 best JRPG's of this gen, and they all came out in 2008 if you can believe it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wow I guess we have different tastes but I don't know anyone who would say this is the Chrono Trigger quality JRPG of this generation. Did you mean as gameplay style?

I can name several different JRPG's I feel are better (Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4.)

If you hate random battles and that's why you made the Chrono Trigger reference, the first 4 I mentioned don't have random battles. Not sure about the Persona games but I think they still have them.

All of those except for Tales of Vesperia are $20-$30 and I would highly recommend them over Blue Dragon. Blue Dragon is not bad, especially for $5, but it's not the best JRPG this gen IMO.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying Persona 3 and 4 are among the best without, apparently, ever having played them? (They don't have random battles.) Also, Valkyria Chronicles is an entirely different genre, so you've kind of lost me with that one.

[quote name='nnickers']So you're saying Persona 3 and 4 are among the best without, apparently, ever having played them? (They don't have random battles.) Also, Valkyria Chronicles is an entirely different genre, so you've kind of lost me with that one.[/QUOTE]

On Persona 3 and 4 I just went with popular opinion as they are very highly regarded as stellar JRPG's by almost everyone. I own both games but haven't played them. Thanks for letting me know they changed from random battles (played a bit of the PSP remake of the original.)

I have played the other 4 I listed: beat Tales, 1/2 thorugh Lost Odyssey, 1/3 through Valkyria, and 1/4 through Eternal Sonata.

On my podcast, Tales of Vesperia took home 1 of 2 awards for RPG of the Year and 360 GotY in 2008 (each host has 1 pick per category.)

True Valkyria is a strategy JRPG instead of a turn-based JRPG, but I figured it was a close enough comparison as the theme of my post was what were the best JRPG's this generation.

[quote name='trunks982']is the DS version better?[/QUOTE]

The DS version is a sequel and is a strategy JRPG instead of a turn based one.

[quote name='billbloodshed']Please stop with the Chrono Trigger comparisons, that game was a masterpiece. This game is a mediocre attempt at best.[/QUOTE]Didn't say either game was a masterpiece or not. Both are good for what it did and honestly, Chrono Trigger is far from a masterpiece IMO. It has no character development and the story is almost none existent -- Two of the most important things in a RPG. The only thing that puts it on masterpiece level is its amazing soundtrack and I guess what it did at the time of its release (multiple endings and what not). Quite honestly, people need to stop looking at CT with rose colored glasses because, while it is a great game, it is severally overrated. And this is from someone who played it in its prime and actually enjoyed the game a great deal.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wow I guess we have different tastes but I don't know anyone who would say this is the Chrono Trigger quality JRPG of this generation. Did you mean as gameplay style?[/QUOTE]I just meant the whole vibe of the game. It just felt like Chrono Trigger to me. Not only did it have the same composer, artist and director, but it was also light hearted in its story telling and characters.

I'm not trying to say which one is better or that it's my favorite RPG this gen (That title goes to Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles if you wanna count it), but the comparisons are definitely there no matter how much toy love CT and hate BD.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
[/QUOTE]

So basically any RPG on 360 is better then this??

Haha I saw this deal a week ago but didn't post it because the $5 shipping is complete rape and there is no discount on shipping for buying multiple games which is bullshit since if I send another game in the mail it only cost $1 more not $5

I bought this game $6 shipped well over a year ago on ebay and still haven't opened it but I watched my friend play it could be interesting just don't see myself playing it anytime soon.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']So basically any RPG on 360 is better then this??

Haha I saw this deal a week ago but didn't post it because the $5 shipping is complete rape and there is no discount on shipping for buying multiple games which is bullshit since if I send another game in the mail it only cost $1 more not $5

I bought this game $6 shipped well over a year ago on ebay and still haven't opened it but I watched my friend play it could be interesting just don't see myself playing it anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

It's not that Blue Dragon is that bad a game, it's a great buy for $5. But there are issues with the story, pacing, and acheivements that a lot of people have about the game. If you're willing to spend $15-$25 more, there are better experiences out there, but if you like JRPG's I think you'll like Blue Dragon at $5.

Just checked my local TRU and no dice. They haven't seen a Blue Dragon in months. Sigh....guess it wasn't meant to be.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']It DOES give me a chrono trigger vibe when playing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're all Sakaguchi games. Personally I think Blue Dragon is his worst since Final Fantasy 5...but that's saying virtually nothing, as Lost Odyssey, Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve 2, and Final Fantasy 6-10 are all phenomenal games, and so I'm not doing much in the way of criticizing this when I just say the story is 'kind of okay' and the gameplay is really strong.

Personally I *HATE* most Japanese RPGs now. IMO the Tales games are garbage, as are all the variants on that theme. If I want to play an action RPG, it's Canadian, Eurpean, and American developers who are the ones do do that right IMO.

And most Japanese RPGs have laughably, hideously bad writing. I mean Blue Dragon is his worst since Final Fantasy 5...but it's only bad by Sakaguchi standards. Next to the typical Japanese RPG it's brilliant.

I am going to have to try Glory of Hercules though. Published by Nintendo (who's localization team is amazing IMO), and it's by Paon I think they're called, who did that good Donkey Kong platformer. Might be fun!

Honestly I haven't tried a Persona game yet-bought the first one for PSP, but...err...I sort of lost it. 4 sounds interesting in terms of story, but the dating/relationship stuff sounds dreadful. Again, I just mean TO ME, and don't mean that as any kind of insult whatsoever. That aspect isn't appealing to me.

Dang, Toys R Us doesn't support Google Checkout anymore?

It's not accepting my login that I created for that rewards program I've never used either.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Honestly I haven't tried a Persona game yet-bought the first one for PSP, but...err...I sort of lost it. 4 sounds interesting in terms of story, but the dating/relationship stuff sounds dreadful. Again, I just mean TO ME, and don't mean that as any kind of insult whatsoever. That aspect isn't appealing to me.[/QUOTE]While reaing your previous point on how most JRPG's are bad, I asked myself if you've ever played any Persona games. You really should though, they're pretty good. :)

As for your point, I actually kinda agree. I was once a huge, I mean HUGE (Read: import RPG's from japan and play them in a language I don't understand) type of fan, and even though I'll still play most -- if not all -- RPG's today, many are pretty much the same things from years gone by, but just better looking. Sometimes it works, but a lot of times, not so much. And the stories that we once thought were charming and deep when we were younger, are now cliche, horribly written, as well as voiced (Damn you FFX for adding voice acting to RPG's). If they continue to make games like that, companis like BioWare, Obsidian and Bethesda are going to drive them into extinction.

Despite the lukewarm acceptance of the game, FFXIII actually took a step in the right direction. It might not have done everything the best, but at least it took a chance, which is something a lot of Japanese companies need to start doing....that or just make a new Xenogears game.

A real one. Not that Xenoblade crap.

I doubt you will be able to find this in store. Most B&M stores cleared this out 18 months ago. :(

I like voice acting in games, though of course want it to be good. I used to consider myself a huge fan of the genre, but I think we...well take a while to explain.

No Google Checkout? Why doesn't my Rewards login work?

I'd like to buy a new copy...

[quote name='MSUHitman']Have you tried Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, or Lost Odyssey? I would say those are the 3 best JRPG's of this gen, and they all came out in 2008 if you can believe it.[/QUOTE]

I really don't want to take this thread more off topic, so I'll just leave it at saying that none of those games are the "Chrono Trigger" of this generation though two of them are in the ballpark for overall quality and the other is a series that I can't stand due to the systems, the most important part of any RPG.

Blue Dragon is a good solid JRPG and well worth $5. Blue Dragon is definitely not the best JRPG this generation and it's definitely not Chrono Trigger. This generation has not had a Chrono Trigger. I was able to accept the voice acting and story as the artistic style of the game but it still made me cringe constantly. Lets face it, those lines are painful to listen to.

I have never played Valkria Chronicles because it's a tactical/strategy RPG. I can't stand those games, I've tried a bunch of them. Every time someone says they're good, I try them only to find I despise them. One example of this is Final Fantasy Tactics (which is really old now) but that game was acclaimed by people and I couldn't stand it even though I'm a huge fan of the series in general.

As others are saying, check out Tales of Vesperia. I had my doubts about it because I didn't like Tales of Symphonia but I gave it a try when it was on sale sometime last year. After playing it, it is hands down THE best JRPG this generation. The protagonist is downright bad ass.
Yuri takes the law into his own hands. Folks that won't get justice due to their high positions...he kills. He watches one man get sucked into quick sand and does nothing to help him.
I can't say enough good about this game.

The second best this generation is Lost Odyssey. After that, I'd say Eternal Sonata is pretty good. Following that there's an array of mediocre crap such as (this is not all inclusive): Star Ocean 4, Enchanted Arms, The Last Remnant, and Infinite Undiscovery. The PS3 hasn't had many JRPG's other than the ports (of the mediocre games) from the 360 and a bunch of strategy RPG's if you like those.

[quote name='ryushe']I think some of you guys are missing what makes Blue Dragon the Chrono Trigger of this Gen......[/QUOTE]

Akira Toriyama and his liberal use for dragonballs style art?

It's definitely no CT, but it's an okay game. I dislike quite a bit about it and still managed to enjoy it overall. To me? It's a solid B and, at $5, definitely worth a pick up...

[quote name='ryushe']I think some of you guys are missing what makes Blue Dragon the Chrono Trigger of this Gen......[/QUOTE]

Golden Poo Snake King?

But, seriously, my answer to any question concerning good jrpg's is that if you own Chrono Cross, Persona 4, and maybe Final Fantasy X (let's be honest, X is the only one in the series to stand the test of time) you're pretty set. For this generation, Vesperia was decent, I liked the battle system and art style, but the characters are shallow and annoying, no development at all, and the story isn't much better. I'll say the exact same thing for for Eternal Sonata. And as much as I tried to like it, I've finally accepted that Final Fantasy XIII was hugely disappointing. The one big plus most people will give it is its combat system, but, once the novelty wears off, it's incredibly simple. You select targets and change paradigms, that's it. Beside that, the characters are terrible, and not matter how you try to justify it, the story complete falls apart by the end. Really, I have no fucking idea what happened at the end of that game.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']It DOES give me a chrono trigger vibe when playing it.[/QUOTE]

The reason:
[quote name='dyeknom']Akira Toriyama and his liberal use for dragonballs style art?[/QUOTE]
This.
Akira Toriyama is the artist. But if you want a GOOD Toriyama-inspired game, you should really check out the Dragon Quest universe. DQ8 on PS2 was excellent, if you can bother giving it a chance...

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I picked it up for $5 at Kmart a couple of months ago... I guess if everyone likes it so much, I may open and play it. I'm not a big fan of JRPG's - is that what this is???[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Distrato']I don't really care too much for JRPGS but I love Mistwalker games.[/QUOTE]

I'm not picking on you specifically, but if I had a dime for every time I heard someone say, "I really don't care for JRPGs but I decided to buy one anyway and then b*tch about it." Why do people buy JRPGs and then act surprised when it confirms that they don't like them? IMO, the best way to enjoy a JRPG is to know a little something about the Japanese culture and to try and appreciate as JAPANESE GAMER, not as an American gamer. Quite frankly, these games weren't meant for you and I. It's a bit unfair to judge them like that. You wouldn't judge a vegetarian for his poor choice in meat dishes, would you?

[quote name='typical guy']
The second best this generation is Lost Odyssey.[/QUOTE]

DISAGREED. Lost Odyssey is overhyped and bland. The characters were kind of shallow, and once you read the first few dreams, you realize the developers were trying WAAAAAY too hard to be deep and spiritual by making things purposefully over-dramatic and sad. If you lived 1000 years, don't tell me the only thing you'd remember is death and disease. I like to think most of us would have more memory than that...
Plus, the ending just sucked, IMO. Lamest final boss ever.

[quote name='nnickers']...and not matter how you try to justify it, the story complete falls apart by the end. Really, I have no fucking idea what happened at the end of that game.[/QUOTE]

I commend you for being one of the ONLY people to knock FF13 AND finish it (assuming you did so). Most people are perfectly content playing it for a few hours and hating it...

...followed by the classic, "I don't like JRPGs but I bought FF13 and I didn't like it. I am so pissed off that things happened exactly as anyone could predict!"

bread's done
Back