Borderlands 2

[quote name='6er']Lol, no. I think it was the one with the huge turret[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's Boom Bewm. One fights on the ground with his exploding shotgun, one mans the turret.

I've also been having the connection/party issues. I couldn't join my friend, he couldn't join me, both parties were open to friends, both were open to public, still couldn't join.

Eventually we ended up getting into each other's game, he joined mine for maybe 10 seconds, then his game froze/he lagged out.

I eventually got into his game, and the lag was so bad I was basically useless, my shots weren't registering until 1 to 2 seconds later, not fun at all, kind of ruined my experience for last night.

Tried with other friends too and the attempt to join just timed out every time, they need to fix this asap.

Something about this game feels so right, the only thing thats putting me off is how big everything is when your salvador. I Almost used my golden key too, since the mentality of this game is to open every single chest. Freaking random loot ninjas...

Also where the heck is the creature slaughter dome? Was wandering around looking for that for a while.

[quote name='hustletron']I've also been having the connection/party issues. I couldn't join my friend, he couldn't join me, both parties were open to friends, both were open to public, still couldn't join.

Eventually we ended up getting into each other's game, he joined mine for maybe 10 seconds, then his game froze/he lagged out.

I eventually got into his game, and the lag was so bad I was basically useless, my shots weren't registering until 1 to 2 seconds later, not fun at all, kind of ruined my experience for last night.

Tried with other friends too and the attempt to join just timed out every time, they need to fix this asap.[/QUOTE]

Have both you and your friends tried restarting Steam and/or your computers? That seems to fix it for some people.

When so you start using eridium for upgrades? I'm afraid I may have over looked it during co op
I'm in sanctuary, haven't done the first in town story mission yet. Thanks.

[quote name='6er']When so you start using eridium for upgrades? I'm afraid I may have over looked it during co op
I'm in sanctuary, haven't done the first in town story mission yet. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Very soon if you've actually started the quests there.

Also, the clap-trap quest there is awesome.

[quote name='Draekon']
And for anybody that doesn't already know, gambling in town is best done in a group since Eridium is shared. Takes a really long time to blow everybody's cash, but at level 11 I had over 100 Eridium and two backpack upgrades already without touching the main quest much. It's a nice early boost at least and nets you some extra skins and some decent weapons based on the hosts level.[/QUOTE]

Teach me the ways of panda gambling

[quote name='Draekon']Have both you and your friends tried restarting Steam and/or your computers? That seems to fix it for some people.[/QUOTE]

Yes, one attempt actually caused a freeze and forced a restart. Check the Gearbox boards, it's apparently happening for many people.

[quote name='DemonKysho']Teach me the ways of panda gambling[/QUOTE]

Step 1) Quest & Kill shit
Step 2) Loot kills and sell worthless shit
Step 3) Make sure you're in a party of 4 all who have money to spend
Step 4) Gamble that shit away in the slot machines. Sell worthless rewards. Repeat step until broke. Beware of grenades.
Step 5) Eridium Profit. (Looting Eridium is shared to everybody in the game)

I've spent around 15-20k or so on the slot machines with two friends about the game. Our fourth guy joined as a level 1 and managed to play the slots a few times because the cash rewards boosted him up over 1k and he was able to gamble/sell/repeat until broke. He ended last night with about 48 Eridium and 1 or 2 Backup upgrades as a level 1 and hasn't actually done shit. He would of had more but we did gambling before he got on when we first made it to Sanctuary.

Took like an hour to get rid of all of our cash, but it worked well for upgrades. Plus we got a few ok alternate weapons (1500 Damage Rocket Launcher FTW & others), probably all or most of the skins possible through gambling between all of us.

[quote name='hustletron']Yes, one attempt actually caused a freeze and forced a restart. Check the Gearbox boards, it's apparently happening for many people.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read some stuff. While if it were me, I could try half a dozen troubleshooting steps, it's a lot harder to walk someone through it. I rarely have friends that have issues connecting to me that isn't the games fault and all my friends could connect to me without any issue. The only forwarding I have that would be different is basic steam port forwarding to my desktop and no windows firewall on. I am also using googles public DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) at the moment since I frequently have issues with my ISPs.

You may want to try using Tunngle as a VPN and then connect through the LAN option. It may or may not have the same issues. I can't really say.

The point is I shouldn't have to do any of that and the game should be working as intended. It is not currently or as of midnight EST.

[quote name='Draekon']I'm just trying to provide possible options.[/QUOTE]

I know, it's appreciated, however I fail to see how utilizing a VPN will resolve the issue when pretty much all signs point to either an issue with Steam or BL2 or the combination of the two and removing one of those 2 renders the other useless. We both live in Jacksonville (and work at the same IT contracting company ;)) It's just discouraging when the co-op of a co-op game is broken.

On the other hand, your gambling advice sounds pretty interesting, I have about $7k on me right now from opening all these boxes and looting and selling items.

You mean to tell me that you can get back pack upgrades from the slot machines??

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had any issues with online play outside of the Steam maintenance stuff. Considering that Borderlands 2 is full-on Steamworks I'd say that the connection issues could easily be on Valve's end rather than on Gearbox's with the actual blame falling somewhere in the middle.

Holy shit did my buddy go through some AMD/ATI issues last night trying to get the game working. BSODs from a friggin video game which are only solved by flashing new BIOS? Wow. (not that the Intel/nVidia side of things are free and clear but still)

Interesting, all the other stuff about the slots I've read, people have dumped all their money and gone broke with nothing to show for it haha.

Regarding the hardware issues, I haven't had any yet with my Intel/Nvidia guild so hopefully it stays that way.

[quote name='hustletron']I know, it's appreciated, however I fail to see how utilizing a VPN will resolve the issue when pretty much all signs point to either an issue with Steam or BL2 or the combination of the two and removing one of those 2 renders the other useless. We both live in Jacksonville (and work at the same IT contracting company ;)) It's just discouraging when the co-op of a co-op game is broken.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I think it might work is because I believe it has absolutely nothing to do with the Steam servers at all when using the LAN option. As you can get this to work without it being connected to the community servers, unlike the the public/private servers.

[quote name='hustletron']Interesting, all the other stuff about the slots I've read, people have dumped all their money and gone broke with nothing to show for it haha.[/QUOTE]

If you go in with, say 2k. Yeah, your luck may return you with next to nothing. Getting Eridium doesn't always happen. We had 3 people spent at least 15k a piece and end up with 100+ shared Eridium. The basic Eridium win is 4 Eridium I believe with 8 being the next highest and then 12 (?). I haven't paid close enough attention. Since at level 11/12, the slot roll costs 167 cash and we spent a good chunk of money it obviously it's not very frequent.

This is why it's best to do this in a group of people because everybody can contribute and Eridium profits are shared equally.

[quote name='hustletron']The point is I shouldn't have to do any of that and the game should be working as intended. It is not currently or as of midnight EST.[/QUOTE]
And you'd think after three years they could at least get it right the second time around. Guess not.

[quote name='6er']Crap I bought a bank upgrade instead of a backback upgrade. where are the banks?[/QUOTE]
Same city; look for a vault.

I have a deilemma. I have completed 1 play through of Borderlands 1. I didn't do any DLC because of hearing that it didn't scale. So I started a second play through and due to life and Orc must Die and CIV V I haven't played any of the DLC. Question should I stay the course and play the BL1 DLC then come to BL2 or will playing BL2 now kinda ruin BL1 because it's a improved game and it would be hard to go back?

[quote name='Jodou']Don't even get me started about Steam and this fucking game. We spent an hour, AN HOUR, trying to get all four of us into one game because someone would always get stuck connecting to lobby or couldn't join our game. Didn't matter who hosted, what quest we were all on; it just didn't want to work. Finally, we all logged out of steam and didn't do shit until we were all loaded and ready to join. Then when we all joined at the same time to an agreed person, we got it going. This is why I hate steamworks games and being forced to use their shitty service. Bad enough we don't even own the games we buy because the disc won't let us install without booting steam. fuck.

I also don't see where they get off saying this game was ready a month ago. Tons of bugs, bad AI, and repetitive quests that suck (seriously, kill 20 of X missions? that's bush league, bro). My friends and I have barely put four hours into this and were struggling to keep playing. The most fun we have is in between missions trolling each other with the cars lol. There's just something that feels off, like the balance of the game isn't quite tweaked right to be fun with four players. We're only playing on normal and get knocked down constantly or one-shot. Guns also don't feel as powerful as they did in the first game, but I'm guessing that's because we're like level 12. When I play solo, the balance feels about right so more testing would have been nice there.

At any rate, they really have zero excuse for the bugs or balance issues. These are shades of the exact same shit that went down for the original game and it tells me they learned nothing. Whatever, I knew beforehand that this game would probably be played for a week and never touched again, but I didn't expect this.[/QUOTE]

You connection problems sound like people not having DMZ enabled. If a person without DMZ tries to host there will probably be issues trying to connect to them.

My friends and I have had no issues when joining each others games.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I have a deilemma. I have completed 1 play through of Borderlands 1. I didn't do any DLC because of hearing that it didn't scale. So I started a second play through and due to life and Orc must Die and CIV V I haven't played any of the DLC. Question should I stay the course and play the BL1 DLC then come to BL2 or will playing BL2 now kinda ruin BL1 because it's a improved game and it would be hard to go back?[/QUOTE]

The Borderlands DLC is pretty awesome and I recommend playing them. You can skip Moxxi's Slaughter-dome though as it doesn't really add anything to the story. Everything is at the very least referenced in Borderlands 2.

[quote name='SEH']You connection problems sound like people not having DMZ enabled. If a person without DMZ tries to host there will probably be issues trying to connect to them.

My friends and I have had no issues when joining each others games.[/QUOTE]

Putting yourself in a DMZ is not really a good idea. Sure it's fine for troubleshooting and what not, but forwarding the specific Steam ports really needs to be done instead.

[quote name='Draekon']

Putting yourself in a DMZ is not really a good idea. Sure it's fine for troubleshooting and what not, but forwarding the specific Steam ports really needs to be done instead.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Xbox or PS3 should be okay but not your PC, but that's just my opinion.

I hadn't realized there were any ports specific to Steam like there are for Xbox live, I'll have to do some tweaking when I get home myself.

this might be easier way to get eiridium, not needing to go broke, or be in MP mode:

spend a thousand or two at the slots. If you didn't get any or any weapons you like, go to windows desktop and right click the Borderlands symbol on the desktop. click close program.

why?

If you do it this way it won't save your progress(if you exit from the in game menu it forces you to save, so you can use that $2000 over again if you didn't strike it E). It took me about 4 reloads, but total I spent about 6-7 minutes I guess to get something like 7 pieces of E.

Meh, not a big deal to spend money on it. Ammunition is shared, so I don't really spend anything on it anymore and drops are good enough to get me through content.

EDIT: 99 is the most Eridium you can hold at once. So spend it and don't save it. Upgrade costs go from 4 -> 8 -> 12 -> 16 -> 20 as well. So it costs 60 Eridium to max out a single SDU.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SEH']You connection problems sound like people not having DMZ enabled. If a person without DMZ tries to host there will probably be issues trying to connect to them.

My friends and I have had no issues when joining each others games.[/QUOTE]
We went through a cycle of every person at some point could not join, so the issues were not on our end. Besides, why would it finally work at all after we kept messing with it without changing any settings on our end? Clearly not user error.

[quote name='6er']So...the claptrap sanctuary mission:

The stash is just, basically, a 4 slot backup bank?
[/QUOTE]

It's used to share items between your characters.

I opened up the steam ports, all except the ones related to call of duty and my friend could join my game without issue. But the lag was still really bad which I'm still unsure about because we are both in the same city using Comcast.

I've only had connection issues once, and I think that was my internet going out that caused it, although I did have some lag once that was fixed by a reconnect. I did find out that PhysX makes my card run reeeeaaalllly sloooooowwww. Which is to be expected since it's a couple years old. Also one minor gripe I have is that if I set the game to Offline, close it, then come back later and play it is back to letting everyone join again. It wouldnt be a problem, but I dont want people joining if I might have to go do something every couple minutes.

They seriously need to fix this you need to kill 25 guys and 10 of them spawn bullshit. Playing last night, had to kill 25 guys, killed like 15 of them and then I had to fucking reload my game and drive back to kill the other 10.

I don't know if it's a bug or just bad game design but it needs to be fixed pronto.

Now besides that and the connection troubles, I fucking love this game to death.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']They seriously need to fix this you need to kill 25 guys and 10 of them spawn bullshit. Playing last night, had to kill 25 guys, killed like 15 of them and then I had to fucking reload my game and drive back to kill the other 10.

I don't know if it's a bug or just bad game design but it needs to be fixed pronto.

Now besides that and the connection troubles, I fucking love this game to death.[/QUOTE]

Is it the bandits or the bullymogs you're talking about? Either way there are other places you can go to kill them once you clear an area, you don't have to reload the game.

I've never had too big of an issue with that since those guys you often need to kill can be found in other places as well and you don't usually (from my experience so far) to kill them only in that area. However I wish the enemies would continue to spawn until you've completed the objective at least. Hate not realizing you need to equip a quest weapon or kill them in a certain way until most or all of them are dead in that specific area, causing you to head to other areas to find more.

If it's the same quest I'm thinking of then there's an instance close by with an ammo machine and plenty of bandits to slaughter. (both inside and out)

Not to mention that the end result for me was a scoped burning pistol which fires flaming laser bolts with a delayed explosion ala a needler. (with my Siren Fox it goes: Burning -> Screaming -> *pop* body parts flying everywhere)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']If it's the same quest I'm thinking of then there's an instance close by with an ammo machine and plenty of bandits to slaughter. (both inside and out)

Not to mention that the end result for me was a scoped burning pistol which fires flaming laser bolts with a delayed explosion ala a needler. (with my Siren Fox it goes: Burning -> Screaming -> *pop* body parts flying everywhere)[/QUOTE]
Ah, I didn't know if they would count or not, the game was just pointing one area as the target area. Good to know. They were bandits.

I had just done a quest in that instance so I figured I'd give it a shot and sure enough they counted towards the goal.

Also, I'm finding a lot of quests which just kinda happen as you are out dicking around. There are entire chains of quests which are completely miss-able so definitely go exploring and even actively try to break things. (no fall damage so go nuts)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']They seriously need to fix this you need to kill 25 guys and 10 of them spawn bullshit. Playing last night, had to kill 25 guys, killed like 15 of them and then I had to fucking reload my game and drive back to kill the other 10.

I don't know if it's a bug or just bad game design but it needs to be fixed pronto.[/QUOTE]
It's lazy design and has no excuse in a game like this. I didn't buy an MMO, I bought an action RPG. I might end up having to play solo to finish this (if I even bother) because my friends just aren't into it at all.

[quote name='Droogs']
It's used to share items between your characters.
[/QUOTE]

That could come in handy
Guess I should start keeping some of the cool other-class loot now.

Also, This most be the most responsive individual game thread I've ever seen.

[quote name='Draekon']I've never had too big of an issue with that since those guys you often need to kill can be found in other places as well and you don't usually (from my experience so far) to kill them only in that area. However I wish the enemies would continue to spawn until you've completed the objective at least. Hate not realizing you need to equip a quest weapon or kill them in a certain way until most or all of them are dead in that specific area, causing you to head to other areas to find more.[/QUOTE]

Just make sure you watch the objective on the right of the screen under the map, it has mentions what weapons unless you have done a quest I haven't yet.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']If it's the same quest I'm thinking of then there's an instance close by with an ammo machine and plenty of bandits to slaughter. (both inside and out)

Not to mention that the end result for me was a scoped burning pistol which fires flaming laser bolts with a delayed explosion ala a needler. (with my Siren Fox it goes: Burning -> Screaming -> *pop* body parts flying everywhere)[/QUOTE]

I hate the delay, wastes ammo. I have learned to stop shooting when they are almost dead, that helps.

[quote name='6er']Just make sure you watch the objective on the right of the screen under the map, it has mentions what weapons unless you have done a quest I haven't yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and it says "You must equip the correct weapon for this quest!" or something to that effect on your screen too. Unfortunately I'm too focused on killing because everything spawned around me when my friends turned it in to notice.

Should be able to catch it in the future though.

[quote name='Jodou']It's lazy design and has no excuse in a game like this. I didn't buy an MMO, I bought an action RPG. I might end up having to play solo to finish this (if I even bother) because my friends just aren't into it at all.[/QUOTE]

Could always hop on SEH's mumble and play with the rest of us :D

MAybe if they had a real time latentcy figure it would help the MP issues. My only idea is to try to find the person withe the lowest ping. One day I was the group leader, I think I had like a 30 and it was silky smooth.

I haven't experienced any major issues outside of the launch night. Then again we were trying to run Skype while playing and that thing just eats my bandwidth.

So far it has been pretty smooth online play for me.

When you track Firehawk:
4335F910ED2B7C0DE0A1F2FBEAB5CB0C720AAE24

reads:
so....hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your system's pretty hosed.
Maybe if you'd downloaded less of that Traxican porn, your system wouldn't be
all jacked up.
You should probably be embarrassed

If this is the first time your seeing this, then it's only because no one else has
caught you yet.
Tell you what's gonna happen here... You're going to put a new graphics card on in and scrap that junk off my keyboard, and then maybe your search history won't accidently
be mailed to your grandma - up pickin up what I'm layin down?

*******STOP******PLEASE GOD STOP*******

--------------------------------------
Your welcome for the transcribe

[quote name='6er']
I hate the delay, wastes ammo. I have learned to stop shooting when they are almost dead, that helps.[/QUOTE]

That's my playstyle with the Siren: Proc elemental effects on a group and then move onto the next group while the previous one dies in agony :D

Jodou, you should probably just stop playing until they are a few patches in before you end up really hating the game. (Torchlight II is totally awesome! ;) )

Notably, enemies don't notice that they're getting hit until the first shot bursts.

Also, there's a quest later on in Dust that needs a fire weapon, and I couldn't for the life of me get that pistol to work. Had to use my incendiary rocket launcher for it.

bread's done
Back