Borderlands 39.96 at Wal-Mart [Canada Only]

bi-gE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry this deal is Canada Only!

Seems that Wal-Mart is up to its old tricks, this time with the release of Borderlands. 39.96 make it an instant purchase. Wonder if everyone else will match this time. Good time to be a Canadian! :D

scan0001k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If this sells out on Futureshop website can I still go into the store to pre-order?

Edit* I just called Futureshop. Cause they are only getting in 8 they are not doing pre-orders but the price should stay that way till release date.

[quote name='Encrypt']shhh don't tell RFD, futureshop.ca already has Boarderlands priced at 39.96 but its going fast :)
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip ... got mine just in time.

I've decided I'm going to wait on this one...considering my backlog, and the fact I'm not even playing many games during school, I'll wait till May or so if it's a blockbuster title worth owning. i just picked up Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 within the last two weeks, with Dragon Age: Origins coming up in November. I should be set for games! :)

Just got back from EB, put $40 down for it. The cashier didn't know about the Wal-Mart/Futureshop price but said she wouldn't be surprised if EB matched it like they did Batman.

Apparently an e-mail has been sent to EB employees about this, they will NOT be price-matching. Something about not letting Wal-Mart bully them just in case they pull this kind of stuff on other AAA titles. But no mention of Future Shop, so maybe they're not aware about Future Shop doing this as well? So it's still up in the air, but it looks to be 90% sure they won't be price-matching with Wal-Mart.

Hi, so since i preordered this at EB with a T3G1F, I can go in with my receipt and photo ID, ask them to change it to Tekken 6 or Modern Warfare 2, get a new receipt and leave? I plan on going to Futureshop to buy it for 40. Also, if I print the Futureshop PS3 Borderlands page and Futureshop is out of stock, can I bring it to Bestbuy and ask them to match it? ( unless bestbuy catches on and lowers the price too : P)

[quote name='xaznboi']Hi, so since i preordered this at EB with a T3G1F, I can go in with my receipt and photo ID, ask them to change it to Tekken 6 or Modern Warfare 2, get a new receipt and leave? I plan on going to Futureshop to buy it for 40. Also, if I print the Futureshop PS3 Borderlands page and Futureshop is out of stock, can I bring it to Bestbuy and ask them to match it? ( unless bestbuy catches on and lowers the price too : P)[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt it most places will say " we have to call up the store and see if they got any in stock if they don't then we will have too charge you regular price but if they do got it in stock for that price we will be glad to give it too you for that price " they usually get people this way and i HOPE that futureshop or bestbuy will have some instock for that price and then i'l get BBV to price match it as the woman behind the counter told me 2 nights ago they price match games

any chance its ymmv? when fs sold ipods for 99, they sold out quick. the guy at bb said he would pm it, but bb was OOS too. so im guessing games have a dif. policy.

[quote name='snowyeti']Apparently an e-mail has been sent to EB employees about this, they will NOT be price-matching. Something about not letting Wal-Mart bully them just in case they pull this kind of stuff on other AAA titles. But no mention of Future Shop, so maybe they're not aware about Future Shop doing this as well? So it's still up in the air, but it looks to be 90% sure they won't be price-matching with Wal-Mart.[/QUOTE]

Looks like EB will be having a lot of pre-orders switched to something else, then! :booty:

Yay, I was waiting for BB to match this. Got 3 and used a $10 off ($100+ purchases) Pizza Pizza coupon too! PIZZZ010205416642606

Thanks blackric, grabbed myself a copy. Been looking forward to this game for awhile now. Says it won't get shipped arrive till the 26th but meh, I got enough backlog to occupy my time until then.

Man, I love the internet! Preordered a Canada only deal while I am vacationing in the USA! Free shipping on orders of $39.99, price matched at $39.99. Awesome, it'll be waiting for me when I get back.

I went to the FS website late last night (wed) and saw it was reg price, but put it in my cart anyway just in case they were going to match the price. When i logged on in the morning the price dropped but was already sold out and the one in my cart disappeared. :(

Right after that I called the FS near me and asked if i could preorder it and they said yes, just stop by. So I did, and now i'm happy i'm able to get in on this deal! :) The staff at FS said they had 20 copies of the game coming in and nobody else had preordered a copy before I did. I just hope walmart keeps this up and that FS keeps matching them.

Ordered one from Best Buy with free shipping :D. There were 7 left when I completed my order a couple minutes ago.

i put a pre-order in @ BB (missed the chance to throw one in for FS)

I'm taking off on vacation until the 31st so hopefully this arrives while I'm away (which i assume it will)...when i get back I'll read some reviews and decide to keep it or return it

it looks good from early previews so far though

Grrrr why won't EB match this :(.

Also does anyone know if this is releasing on PC retail? Apparently the retail PC version has been cancelled.

Hey Kathos, if you want to buy this game with EB credit, just buy the PS3 version of Fallout 3 (non GOTY edition) for $44.99 used with your edge discount and it'll come to $40.49. The game trades to BB and FS for $40. Overall it'll cost you just about few dollars more, cause you guys have to pay PST as well...

[quote name='snuter']Hey Kathos, if you want to buy this game with EB credit, just buy the PS3 version of Fallout 3 (non GOTY edition) for $44.99 used with your edge discount and it'll come to $40.49. The game trades to BB and FS for $40. Overall it'll cost you just about few dollars more, cause you guys have to pay PST as well...[/QUOTE]

Yeah but without the PC version I'm sunk :(.

Yes, that price is sitting around my sweet spot. I would buy MOST games on release day if they were priced this way.

I was interested in Borderlands but I certainly was not interested enough to get it on release day. I will be picking this up now :)

I'm sick and tired of $69 + tax games.

[quote name='Talus']Yes, that price is sitting around my sweet spot. I would buy MOST games on release day if they were priced this way.

I was interested in Borderlands but I certainly was not interested enough to get it on release day. I will be picking this up now :)

I'm sick and tired of $69 + tax games.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. At that price point I would also be picking up new releases day 1. Hopefully this will make publishers realize that this is the ideal price for newly released games.

[quote name='snuter']Hey Kathos, if you want to buy this game with EB credit, just buy the PS3 version of Fallout 3 (non GOTY edition) for $44.99 used with your edge discount and it'll come to $40.49. The game trades to BB and FS for $40. Overall it'll cost you just about few dollars more, cause you guys have to pay PST as well...[/QUOTE]

Good Idea! I can't justify spending $40 out of my college fund when I have enough EB credit to buy pretty much any game that I want. This will definitely be my backup plan, though I will call FS before buying Fallout 3, that game seems to be one day away from having a HUGE drop in price.

People, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FROM EB GAMES!!!!!

MAKE SURE YOU CANCEL THE PREORDER!!!!! Do not transfer the deposit!

Cancel and choose another game if you have to....what EB is doing is wrong!

[quote name='Grease_Bits']Good Idea! I can't justify spending $40 out of my college fund when I have enough EB credit to buy pretty much any game that I want. This will definitely be my backup plan, though I will call FS before buying Fallout 3, that game seems to be one day away from having a HUGE drop in price.[/QUOTE]

What's EB's return policy on used games again? I'm in the same boat with tons of EB credit and I'd like to go this Fallout route, but I'm worried I won't be able to find a copy since I'm probably gonna have to find a copy downtown Toronto due to my lovely school schedule. Does the game have to have their sticker on it to be returned?

EDIT: NM, had a chance to go down myself. Good thing about this whole scenario is that if I can't grab the game at FS or BB, I can go back to EB (SHOCK HORROR) and add Fallout back to my credit. Goddamn University poorness :/

[quote name='r3n4ud']I totally agree. At that price point I would also be picking up new releases day 1. Hopefully this will make publishers realize that this is the ideal price for newly released games.[/QUOTE]

Wow wishful thinking much? I hope you enjoy silly, low-quality Wii-style POS games for the rest of eternity. That kind of thinking really is much worse than the RFD horders.

I really like how one's own lack of income or selfishness trumps everything else. If you're that worried about your wallet you could just pirate it.

I'm all for being a cheap ass but c'mon, $40 new releases? Our favourite developers would go out of business at that pricing, there would be no return on the capital they put into the games.

Just to throw this out there. Walmart and FS/BB are still buying this game at regular price. selling it at 39.89 is a huge lose in sales, if EB was to keep doing this like they did with batman they would go out of business fast. Big box stores have other high margin items to make up for it.

[quote name='kathos']Grrrr why won't EB match this :(.

Also does anyone know if this is releasing on PC retail? Apparently the retail PC version has been cancelled.[/QUOTE]

Just do what I did, get in on a steam 4 pack for the game. $33.75 US cost me around $37 CDN after paypal fee and conversion. Still a good deal.

Given the way Wal-Mart does business, I wouldn't be surprised if they're buying this at a discount from publishers and offering some sort of kickbacks \. Whatever the case, I applaud it. I hope they're making a compelling case for lower first-run retail prices.

EDIT: Scratch that... I wouldn't be surprised if they're bullying publishers into supplying these games at a discount.

[quote name='SickBoy']Given the way Wal-Mart does business, I wouldn't be surprised if they're buying this at a discount from publishers and offering some sort of kickbacks \. Whatever the case, I applaud it. I hope they're making a compelling case for lower first-run retail prices.

EDIT: Scratch that... I wouldn't be surprised if they're bullying publishers into supplying these games at a discount.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think so, games aren't like certain brands and supermarket items and shit, games can be sold ANYWHERE.

The pull with Wal-Mart is that "we will get your item out to the people because we have a lot of stores with a lot of people coming through... this'll cost you though."

Games though, people think BB, FS, EB, etc when they think video games. Wal Mart's coming up there and they need to get in on this "videotape pac man" while they can. They wouldn't be doing the publishers any favours by buying it at a lower price, this is just WM's way of getting people IN, and while you're there they're hoping you'll fall for their low low prices.

[quote name='kathos']I wouldn't think so, games aren't like certain brands and supermarket items and shit, games can be sold ANYWHERE.

The pull with Wal-Mart is that "we will get your item out to the people because we have a lot of stores with a lot of people coming through... this'll cost you though."

Games though, people think BB, FS, EB, etc when they think video games. Wal Mart's coming up there and they need to get in on this "videotape pac man" while they can. They wouldn't be doing the publishers any favours by buying it at a lower price, this is just WM's way of getting people IN, and while you're there they're hoping you'll fall for their low low prices.[/QUOTE]

It works. Last time I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a cheap game I ended up spending $150 on groceries. :lol:

Preordered it from Futureshop in Woodbridge. I went to BB first but they said they didn't have in-store preorders for it, I'd have to go online. Apparently it's $39.96 in BB's system, but it is also listed as a 69.99 "promotional price". It confused the BestBuy CSR, but he's pretty sure it'll still be the cheaper price on Tuesday.

UPDATE!
Just got back from EB, cashier said that EB WILL NOT BE MATCHING, but that the T3G1F is just the same as or better then getting it for $39.99 :bs:

So I changed my preorder to Mass Effect 2 and planning on trading in Fable 2 to FS for $37. (Couldnt find any copies of Fallout 3 :p)

Edit: One final thing. If you check the Xbox 360 dashboard ad for Wal-Marts sale, they have it stated that Borderlands will be $39.99 until Oct 27th. Just an FYI, didnt see it posted anywhere.

EB will instead be offering a different deal on borderlands. those that pre-order the game and pick it up and trade it back in within a week (with pre-order pick up receipt) will get a 40$ trade credit for it. This is similiar to the gaming guarantee deals they normally do but its 40$ credit not the full value. I can bet the trade in value for those that did not pre-order it will be quite low. I think batman was a trade value of like 15$ for the longest time

BB and FS are all sold out online, but in-store pre-orders should still be a go. Pre-ordered a copy each for me and a friend at Downtown Edmonton FS today.

[quote name='Pale-Dim']EB will instead be offering a different deal on borderlands. those that pre-order the game and pick it up and trade it back in within a week (with pre-order pick up receipt) will get a 40$ trade credit for it. This is similiar to the gaming guarantee deals they normally do but its 40$ credit not the full value. I can bet the trade in value for those that did not pre-order it will be quite low. I think batman was a trade value of like 15$ for the longest time[/QUOTE]
Haha thats hardly a deal. Besides both FS and BB will likely offer the same TiV for everyone.

[quote name='imcrazy']Haha thats hardly a deal. Besides both FS and BB will likely offer the same TiV for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Sad. EB's deal is just the same basic "deal" they offer anyone: $40 TIV on new releases.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']I'll have to get up early and be at Walmart for 7am on Tuesday[/QUOTE]

Same here, I have very little time to actually go around and shop, so this is the best way for me too, right before classes start :D.

bread's done
Back