Borderlands 39.96 at Wal-Mart [Canada Only]

bi-gE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry this deal is Canada Only!

Seems that Wal-Mart is up to its old tricks, this time with the release of Borderlands. 39.96 make it an instant purchase. Wonder if everyone else will match this time. Good time to be a Canadian! :D

scan0001k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess some stores don't see Borderlands as a AAA game; they don't expect a mad rush for this title that we saw in Batman: Arkham Asylum. Let's face it, Batman is one of the best games of 2009. Borderlands has only one review so far. Also, there wasn't really anything coming out the week of Batman, there are other popular franchises arriving this week, like WWE and FIFA. If the reviews are good, I'll go to Future Shop and buy it.

I really had little to no interest in this game, and still don't, but damn I am tempted to get it for $40, just because it is such a deal. Damn you CAG! =-)

Is the FS trade program pretty simple to do? I've never done it before, but if I can do a straight swap with ODST for Borderlands I'm totally going to jump on that deal. Do you think it'd still be possible to pre-order the game at this point?

You won't be able to do a straight swap, since you have to pay tax on Borderlands (it's not like EB Games where credit is tax-free)

Pre-order in the store, probably... online is sold out.

Doubt you'll be able to pricematch it. Canada has some really great deals every now and then. I hear they have MW2 for $49.99 at Future Shop tomorrow only

omg awesome find, i preordered Borderlands at Gamestop, i would love some insight on how to get a pricematch to work on this one please.

EBG/GS will not be price matching this deal. So look out for other places to grab Borderlands from. I plan on getting to the local BB early just before opening to grab it, I'm sure they'll be a tiny line, but I'm not afraid they won't have copies.

Ironically I like that most of the reviews put it in the 80-90 range. It seems the games that get the perfect scores these days tend to be games that do nothing new (they don't take risks), and ultimately end up being rather boring for me. Where as games in the 80-90 range attempt to offer more unique experiences. Sure they aren't perfect but at least its something different. Just look at Valkyria Chronicles.

What will tax be on this purchase? Is it at 12% for B.C.? I am coming from "The States" can I get some tax refunded at the border anymore?

Also, I'm not a hoarder, only got cash for 1 copy.

Also Also, what will availability be on day 1? Is it possible it could sell out at the Supercentre Walmart in Vancouver, B.C.?

Please help me CAGanada, your my only hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went down to EBgames to move my T3G1FREE pre-order on Borderlands and the guy outright says "Getting it cheap elsewhere eh?, Me too."

so is anyone able to confirm that wal-mart will have the ps3 version for $39.96 as well. I know they did for arkham asylum but the ps3 version isnt even listed on their website

[quote name='NWgamer666']What will tax be on this purchase? Is it at 12% for B.C.? I am coming from "The States" can I get some tax refunded at the border anymore?

Also, I'm not a hoarder, only got cash for 1 copy.

Also Also, what will availability be on day 1? Is it possible it could sell out at the Supercentre Walmart in Vancouver, B.C.?

Please help me CAGanada, your my only hope.[/QUOTE]
13% Tax in BC. No idea about the tax refund, doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

It's best to arrive early to guarantee yourself a copy, however I imagine it won't sell out that quickly. Worst case scenario check out any Best Buys or Future Shops nearby (they are selling it for the same price). Or price match at Staples.

I went to wal-mart today and they had it for 69.99 $....
I'll walk in tomorrow to see if it changes if not, it's in the damn flyer.

[quote name='seed84']so is anyone able to confirm that wal-mart will have the ps3 version for $39.96 as well. I know they did for arkham asylum but the ps3 version isnt even listed on their website[/QUOTE]

can't confirm Walmart, but i preordered one for the PS3 from FS for that price. I can't imagine Walmart would have it on sale just for one system.

Nobody i know is gettting this game right now, and since it's best played with others, if anyone wants to add me please do. :)

[quote name='Moussi']I went to wal-mart today and they had it for 69.99 $....
I'll walk in tomorrow to see if it changes if not, it's in the damn flyer.[/QUOTE]

So going to check my local Wal-Mart on my way home today

Is the street date broken on Borderlands, i was under the impression that it was coming out tomorrow, and should not be in stores today

[quote name='Inraged']Is the street date broken on Borderlands, i was under the impression that it was coming out tomorrow, and should not be in stores today[/QUOTE]
I guess it's broken because I saw asstons of Borderlands at my wal-mart. Again it was 69.99$ and I wasn't going to cause a fit at the employees there because I didn't have the time. I had to go to work. I'll swing by tomorrow.

I checked at FS to see if they would sell it. They had it in but wouldn't sell it. I did have a preorder that was fully paid, but still no dice. Would have saved me from the bus trip there tomorrow morning, but oh well, looks like i'm getting up early tomorrow.

The FS in Brampton East shows it being in stock also, but I'm guessing they won't sell it today.
Honestly DoctorVelvet, I don't think anyone knows how long, but I wouldn't wait past Thursday to try and pick it up since that's when the new flyer comes out. I would expect tthe price to jump like Batman AA did eventually.

Just so you guys know FS/BB cant sell anything before street date, the tills wont allow it as they have the dates on the system. WM doesn't though so if someone puts them out, they will scan.

[quote name='vicious7171']Any chance Sears will carry Borderlands and PM wal mart?[/QUOTE]

I haven't really seen Sears get a "new" game within a month of its release. At least not online, though I could not say for in-store sales.

I've been struggling with where to buy this from. Walmart is closest to me, but the one in Guildford is notorious for not getting games in on release and may, then, not get it in until later this week, and even then....

Future Shop, that said, is much harder for me to get to and I may not be able to pick up the game until Thursday.

Really, I want to play it tomorrow and just want Walmart to get it. So I will phone first thing tomorrow and, well, just hope!

ISPU for me tonight just to be safe at FS!

people,

Zellers/superstore/staples/SEARS will all pm the flyer!

If the guildford wm doesn't have it, walk over to Sears with tv flyer to do a PM

Think OUTside of the box!

[quote name='imcrazy']Ironically I like that most of the reviews put it in the 80-90 range. It seems the games that get the perfect scores these days tend to be games that do nothing new (they don't take risks), and ultimately end up being rather boring for me. Where as games in the 80-90 range attempt to offer more unique experiences. Sure they aren't perfect but at least its something different. Just look at Valkyria Chronicles.[/QUOTE]

I notice that too. The games that get 90+ are the safe game that are sequel to something and are polish very well but with nothing new offered.
Reviewers tend to value polish-ness and hype more than great innovation.

Yay, grabbed mine from the Wal Mart at Dufferin Mall at around 7:45 this morning. The guy working laughed and said they'd already sold a bunch. lol

[quote name='Slintaii']Yay, grabbed mine from the Wal Mart at Dufferin Mall at around 7:45 this morning. The guy working laughed and said they'd already sold a bunch. lol[/QUOTE]
Did it look like they had a lot? I'm heading there around lunch time and I don't want to miss out on any.

[quote name='imcrazy']Ironically I like that most of the reviews put it in the 80-90 range. It seems the games that get the perfect scores these days tend to be games that do nothing new (they don't take risks), and ultimately end up being rather boring for me. Where as games in the 80-90 range attempt to offer more unique experiences. Sure they aren't perfect but at least its something different. Just look at Valkyria Chronicles.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... My first reaction to that was "Damn, he's totally right," but 9.0+ review scores can be indicative of wonderful new games as well.

Sure you have your GTAIVs, your CoD4s, your Gears 2s, Smash Brothers Brawls, Resistance 2s, and your Rock Band 2s... (Wow, there really is a lot there) But in the 9.0+ you also have LittleBigPlanet, The Orange Box (for Portal), The World Ends With You, and Braid.

I guess you could say that the broad, safe, polished games are more likely to be respected by everybody, which guarantees them high review scores on a wide scale. But if an inventive game releases with gameplay that isn't only novel and unique but actually works, it's likely to get the respect it deserves as well. The cool one-offs like Henry Hatsworth and Odin Sphere will be stuck to the 8.0-9.0 range because, while they do offer something new and interesting, they could do with a little bit of refining. The irony is, I suppose, that the spin-offs and iterations required to shape a game like that into its best possible form would result in the same-ness and predictability people criticize GTA and CoD for.

Uh... oops.

I see that Downtown Edmonton Futureshop has stock of Borderlands in their system now, so I should be getting a call from them today.

I got to my walmart just after 9 thinking I'd be fine since I'm going before work. The dude there told me that they basically sold out right when they opened at 7am. Shitballs.

Anyways, it's sold out online at futureshop/bestbuy, but it's available for pickup in all 4 futureshops I checked, so that's what I'm doing.

There was a bit of a stink at my nearest Wal-Mart in regards to the PS3 version. But I walked out of there with it for $40 after the CSR insisted upon it with the CSM because she saw a receipt of it from someone else earlier.

Can't make it down to my local Wal-Mart until noon so I ordered it for pickup from Futureshop. My local Wal-Mart probably would have plenty since we are a smaller city but better to be safe than sorry I suppose

bread's done
Back