Borderlands discussion - Is Moxxi hot or not?

Had a lot of fun playing the game tonite with 3 buddies but I can't see playing the game alone. This is definetly a game that plays better with friends.

This hands down is the best game on xbox. Holy shit, I have a level 20 Siren and a level 13 Berserker already.

I played co-op with 2 friends and we encountered 3 badasses at the same time. Needless to say, we were promptly raped.

I've already put about 11 hours in, and I still want to keep playing (but common sense tells me I shouldn't).

I love everything about this game so far. If anyone wants to play, feel free to add me.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']You have to return the quest to the quest giver to get your XP and money.

I'm pretty sure its Dr. Zed that gives it to you right?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Trakan']
You should have to put the piece you found back into the medic machine and it will allow you to buy a shield.
[/QUOTE]
Nope, neither of those worked. Had to start a new game because bought like five of them and nothing happened. So I guess one glitch I've found.

Other then that the game is stupid fun with friends. Got to level 18 with my Siren today and looking at the cheezmints, don't think it'd be too hard to get 1000/1000 on this game.

Borderlands is addicting. Played from 7pm to 2am. Forgot all about making dinner. Good thing my dvr was already set to record Sons of Anarchy. This game is best played with friends. Playing single player gets boring IMO.

So far it is pretty solid though it made me realize how irritating Fallout 3 would have been with co-op in terms of loot (weaponry because they did a great job in sharing money and XP) being on a first come, first served basis. I had to start a new game because I couldn't find anything decent with my friends picking up everything that wasn't nailed down or blazing through quests so fast I couldn't digest the storyline. EXTREMELY ANNOYING though from what I've seen the Siren is an absolute beast. Her elemental boosts combined with melee stun and a solid gun with incendiary or lightning capabilities turn her into quite the sexy one woman army. One of my friends was downing shields in less then three shots then She-Hulking the shit out of everything else. Note: We were all the same level. o_O;

Definitely down for some co-op after I beat Ninetoes' boss so I can have a decent arsenal and better grasp of the game mechanics overall. My single player opinion though is very positive. No Fallout 3 but it is almost nothing like it so you've got to throw those wild comparisons out the window and enjoy it for what it is if you expect to have a good time with this game.

P.S. - Stay the HELL away from any large animal carcasses because I slid down into one and got stuck for 15 minutes. I had to exit the game because the game kept reviving me after we tried dueling to get a free respawn out. Retarded glitch was retarded. I had another one when I started a new game where one of the Claptrap's just froze instead of talking to the doctor so I had to exit and restart in order to progress. ;\

Last edited by a moderator:
Started the game last night...WOW this is fucking sick!

My only gripe is that split-screen co-op splits the screen vertically and not horizontally, you get used to it, but I think it would have been better to have it horizontal.

when my copy finally arrives my Halo 3 buddies and I decided to have strictly co-op characters and solo campaigners. This way none of us get too far ahead of the other in co-op.

game looks awesome. can't wait.

Pissed at myself. Sold my SMG which I had since Level 6, which had a fast fire rate and elemental fire damage for a SMG on sale that had much higher damage (old gun had base 18, new gun has 56) but lower fire rate and required a level 16 to use. Gun completely sucks and I realized too late so I couldn't buy the old gun back.

So basically what you're saying is that there's a time limit for buying back weapons or could you just not afford to buy it back? If the former then that sucks. Which vendor did you sell the gun to? So far 90% of my guns are still available in the buy back menu for Marcus machines and I've done a large majority of the Fyrestone quests with my Berserker.

I'm having a ton of fun with this game. I've sunk about 6 hours into it right now and have a level 13 Siren.

My only gripe with it so far is the way they handle the co-op hosting. I keep wishing it wasn't reliant on a specific host. If you're grouped with people all the same level (or at the same spot in the story) you're fine, but if you go into a game where you're lower than your buddy, you're almost helpless. Your buddy can pick up quests and complete them for XP and rewards, but you don't get anything. You also can't have your buddy help you with quests that you have unless you jump over to your instance of the game.

Very small gripes, and this is easily solved by having a specific character that you only use when your group decides to play, so nobody gets to far ahead or behind.

The copy I bought yesterday is sitting under my PS2 to prop it up. It would be in my 360, but my 360 decided to RROD after attaching my friends HDMI cable (now we know it was a bad cable and why it didn't work on his 360 xD). Hopefully I'll be able to play next week. Looks like a great game.

[quote name='Weepingwillow']I'm having a ton of fun with this game. I've sunk about 6 hours into it right now and have a level 13 Siren.

My only gripe with it so far is the way they handle the co-op hosting. I keep wishing it wasn't reliant on a specific host. If you're grouped with people all the same level (or at the same spot in the story) you're fine, but if you go into a game where you're lower than your buddy, you're almost helpless. Your buddy can pick up quests and complete them for XP and rewards, but you don't get anything. You also can't have your buddy help you with quests that you have unless you jump over to your instance of the game.

Very small gripes, and this is easily solved by having a specific character that you only use when your group decides to play, so nobody gets to far ahead or behind.[/QUOTE]

I had some weird experiences with the level gap in co-op yesterday. My cousin created a new character but I was using my lvl 22 and he received xp from some of my quests but not all of them. He was ineligible for a lvl 15 quest but the game let him get exp from one of my lvl 20 quests. ??? He went from lvl 1 to lvl 14 in a couple hours. I just had to pick and choose the quests right. It didn't make a whole lot of sense though.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']So basically what you're saying is that there's a time limit for buying back weapons or could you just not afford to buy it back? If the former then that sucks. Which vendor did you sell the gun to? So far 90% of my guns are still available in the buy back menu for Marcus machines and I've done a large majority of the Fyrestone quests with my Berserker.[/QUOTE]

I think there's a time limit. I started a quest, realized the gun sucked. Then tried going back to the same Vending Machine that I bought my new gun from and sold the old gun to, didn't see my old gun, or anything actually, available to buy back.

I wonder if there's a definite time for buy back, maybe when the game's in-game cycle completes? Or maybe when the vending machines' deal of the day changes over to a new deal.

Also, does anyone know how the color-rarity system goes? I don't play WoW so I have no idea, I just know purple is very rare.

If anyone wants to fill me in, I'll add it to the OP.

Anyone know how to get to that Claptrap robot above the Marcus Machines in the first town?

Also, can anyone tell me what elemental damage lets you to "Melt Faces?" I assume its corrosive, but I have killed 1 of 2 enemies on the 12 Days of Pandora achievement under the "Melt Faces" category and have never used a corrosive weapon

Destructoid.com is reporting that the game is selling well and may even be selling out in places. The Best Buy I went to yesterday afternoon only had two copies on the shelf-- when I got there another dude was holding one of them, I guess considering whether to buy it or not. He ended up putting it back, as I was grabbing the other copy. Went over to the DVD section to browse for a little before checking out, and guess who ends up in line right behind me-- the same guy, holding that last copy of Borderlands. :)

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
Also, does anyone know how the color-rarity system goes? I don't play WoW so I have no idea, I just know purple is very rare.
[/QUOTE]

Both in WoW and here it goes ...

White -> Green -> Blue -> Purple -> Orange

and in Wow these are listed as

Grey / White - Vendor trash (White is also reserved for items used for professions etc, but in Borderlands they're mostly vendor trash)

Green - Uncommon (These drop from random mobs and appear in chests)

Blue - Rare (These drop less frequently from mobs and are usually reserved for quest rewards)

Purple - Epic (Drop from bosses)

Orange - Legendary (VERY rare in wow ... like 5-7 different weapons are even considered legendary ... haven't encountered any in Borderlands yet.)

Also, can anyone tell me what elemental damage lets you to "Melt Faces?" I assume its corrosive, but I have killed 1 of 2 enemies on the 12 Days of Pandora achievement under the "Melt Faces" category and have never used a corrosive weapon.
[/QUOTE]

I believe that is the Fire damage.

The only thing I don't like about the game is that the menus are a little unintuitive sometimes... I'm still getting used to the process of comparing my currently equipped weapon to the stuff in my backpack. JRPGs on the SNES did it with less fuss, not sure why it's so convoluted in Borderlands. I also went into the colors menu just to mess around, only to find out that there was no way to cancel changes or return to the defaults.

Aside from those small gripes, I'm loving the game! I've only played solo so far, I want to feel like I've really gotten the hang of things before I venture into the co-op. Looking forward to it though!

Anyone downloaded the gamerpic pack? For $1, I was thinking about changing my pic to Lilith, but I'd like to see how the pics look on a real profile first.

Here's the scoop. Exchanged Brutal Legend for Borderlands. Started playing Borderlands. Stopped playing Borderlands after
Killing Nine Toes
. I didn't like this game at first, but then about halfway through that mission I'm like 'woah, I have a lot of stuff'. Do I like this game? Not yet, but it's getting there. It's very quiet so far, and I'm kind of looking forward to playing it online. I'm currently at Level 7 with a Soldier.

[quote name='Weepingwillow']Both in WoW and here it goes ...

White -> Green -> Blue -> Purple -> Orange

and in Wow these are listed as

Grey / White - Vendor trash (White is also reserved for items used for professions etc, but in Borderlands they're mostly vendor trash)

Green - Uncommon (These drop from random mobs and appear in chests)

Blue - Rare (These drop less frequently from mobs and are usually reserved for quest rewards)

Purple - Epic (Drop from bosses)

Orange - Legendary (VERY rare in wow ... like 5-7 different weapons are even considered legendary ... haven't encountered any in Borderlands yet.)

I believe that is the Fire damage.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I'll add it to the OP. But I swear there were yellow colored guns too?

I just looked it up, there's an achievement called Facemelter, where you have to kill 25 enemies with corrosive weapons, so I think its corrosive. I still don't know how I killed anyone to give me a kill that counted as a Face Melter because I never had a corrosive gun. The only thing I remember that could've given me that one kill is when I had a shock damage shotgun, I shot a guy in the face, and while he stood there dying, his head completely melted leaving a bare skull and he died.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Thanks for the info, I'll add it to the OP. But I swear there were yellow colored guns too?

I just looked it up, there's an achievement called Facemelter, where you have to kill 25 enemies with corrosive weapons, so I think its corrosive. I still don't know how I killed anyone to give me a kill that counted as a Face Melter because I never had a corrosive gun. The only thing I remember that could've given me that one kill is when I had a shock damage shotgun, I shot a guy in the face, and while he stood there dying, his head completely melted leaving a bare skull and he died.[/QUOTE]

I haven't come across anything yellow yet, save for the money.

You're probably right regarding the corrosive weapon though, thanks to the achievement text. Have you played any coop with anyone else? Were you the host? I'm starting to think that the host gets credit for achievements in this game. I was hosting a game with a friend and I got the
Roadkill, and Rootin' Tootin'
achievements even though my friend was the one who really did them. He did not receive credit for that. Anyone have any experience with this so far? We have received credit for the
15 coop missions and duel
achievements, etc.

[quote name='Weepingwillow']I haven't come across anything yellow yet, save for the money.

You're probably right regarding the corrosive weapon though, thanks to the achievement text. Have you played any coop with anyone else? Were you the host? I'm starting to think that the host gets credit for achievements in this game. I was hosting a game with a friend and I got the
Roadkill, and Rootin' Tootin'
achievements even though my friend was the one who really did them. He did not receive credit for that. Anyone have any experience with this so far? We have received credit for the
15 coop missions and duel
achievements, etc.[/QUOTE]

Nope, all in single player.

Goddamnit, my old SMG was blue too, and my new one is green (at the time I thought green was more valuable) another kick to the balls.

[quote name='Irukandji']I had some weird experiences with the level gap in co-op yesterday. My cousin created a new character but I was using my lvl 22 and he received xp from some of my quests but not all of them. He was ineligible for a lvl 15 quest but the game let him get exp from one of my lvl 20 quests. ??? He went from lvl 1 to lvl 14 in a couple hours. I just had to pick and choose the quests right. It didn't make a whole lot of sense though.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to my friend in our game yesterday. Seems like there's a glitch where you can workaround it by having someone join during a quest then completing it. They're awarded EXP and any item rewards along with it. Didn't have a chance to test it any further though since the guy hadn't stayed in the game more than an hour.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I think there's a time limit. I started a quest, realized the gun sucked. Then tried going back to the same Vending Machine that I bought my new gun from and sold the old gun to, didn't see my old gun, or anything actually, available to buy back.

I wonder if there's a definite time for buy back, maybe when the game's in-game cycle completes? Or maybe when the vending machines' deal of the day changes over to a new deal.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... thanks for the heads up. I'll have to keep that in mind though I'm a bit of hoarder in these types of games so I always triple check item stats before I sell them.

Anyway... that Claptrap is something of an easter egg. You can't access grayed out areas of the map nor hit or inflict damage on it. Sucks because I too thought he might have or lead me to something worthwhile.

Another thing to watch out for is that while Blue > Green. This applies only to items of a similar level. So you can't just assume that every blue gun you have is better.

For example:
Again I'm going to relate all this back to WoW, since it seems like Gearbox decided to follow this format exactly.

A level 14 Green gun is probably better than a level 5 blue gun.

Essentially your item has a specific "budget" that it can associate stats to. In wow say a level 14 green item has a item budget of 200. A Blue item of the SAME level will have a budget of say 213. Now say you find a level 17 green, which might have a budget of 225 or something like that, obviously that item will have better stats than the level 14 blue.

In WoW by default, and in Borderlands this "budget" is all behind the scenes and you just have the item compare and in-game experiments to test which is better for your character/spec.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Destructoid.com is reporting that the game is selling well and may even be selling out in places. The Best Buy I went to yesterday afternoon only had two copies on the shelf-- when I got there another dude was holding one of them, I guess considering whether to buy it or not. He ended up putting it back, as I was grabbing the other copy. Went over to the DVD section to browse for a little before checking out, and guess who ends up in line right behind me-- the same guy, holding that last copy of Borderlands. :)[/QUOTE]

Wife and I went to our local GameCrazy yesterday to buy it day 1. Sold out. Apparently they were sold out everywhere in town. Got the ol' "you should have preordered" spiel. Thanks.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the game is good and that sales are good as well. See you in game whenever my local stores get their next shipments in.

Goddamnit, my old SMG was blue too, and my new one is green (at the time I thought green was more valuable) another kick to the balls.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean it's not better.

A level 20 green gun is (usually) better than a level 12 blue gun.

[quote name='zewone']Doesn't mean it's not better.

A level 20 green gun is (usually) better than a level 12 blue gun.[/QUOTE]

No I know this, but in my case I'm pretty sure it didn't work out that way. It was a Level 6 Blue gun, which was swapped out with a level 16 green gun. But the old blue gun had elemental damage and a much faster fire rate, which in the long run I preferred but found that out too late. Oh well. a Level 6 gun being used at my level (17) might sound shitty, but the elemental damage made up for it I think.

The name of the gun being orange = rare, not the gun itself.

If you DID get a legendary gun in the first part of the game, chances are it's not going to be that good for very long. As explained early in the thread, a higher level green will be better than a super low level anything.

The name of the gun being orange = rare, not the gun itself.

If you DID get a legendary gun in the first part of the game, chances are it's not going to be that good for very long. As explained early in the thread, a higher level green will be better than a super low level anything.

Single-player is better for enjoying the story as the mission descriptions and endings are delivered by (often clever) text. However, for having fun or overcoming difficult obstacles, multiplayer is way better. You can always host your own game and leave it joinable so that your friends can hop in at any time...

[quote name='infamyRISE']The name of the gun being orange = rare, not the gun itself.

If you DID get a legendary gun in the first part of the game, chances are it's not going to be that good for very long. As explained early in the thread, a higher level green will be better than a super low level anything.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok...gotcha. That means I just got an orange pistol, nothing fancy, as it doesn't have orange in the name.

Anyone know where to get the Alien weapons? I've found 2, one
in Rust Commons West, near Patricia Toomis or whatever her name is,
and the other
when you kill Master McCloud.

I've been reading so much about this game but still can't pull the trigger. None of my friends have it and the whole level issue with co-op pretty much assures me that I would only play this in single player.

Is it that bad by yourself? I hear about how the enemies respawn constantly and that it's very unforgiving with no difficulty settings. Is that really an issue? Would I be wasting my time? I have my placeholder game ready to exchange to TRU and I'm thinking I should keep waiting.

I highly recommend the game. If MW2 wasn't coming out this year, it'd probably be my contender for GOTY.

The game's difficulty scales for each player in coop. I have a character in 3 player coop and also started my own single player character as well. By yourself the game is easier and it seems like you get experience faster. The enemies do respawn fairly quickly, but I wouldn't say constantly.

I definitely recommend playing it coop with friends if you do pick it up though.

Does the game have an option for system link for multiplayer? And the split screen co-op sounds great to play with the wife. Too bad there's no split screen + online option. That would have been great.

Well after watching Gamebreak, a segment on Attack of the Show/ Sessler's Soapbox on G4tv.com, and reading the reviews I finally pulled the trigger purchasing from GoGamer.com. Here's hoping the co-op works for me. I really want to support the devs mainly for Local Split Screen!

I got lucky today and my level 26 siren found 2 alien weapons and 2 legendary weapons, one SMG and one Shotgun. The SMG is ridiculous. If anyone is interested I'll post the stats here.

I just spent about 5 hours tuesday and 5 hours today co-op with a friend (I level 15 hunter, buddy level 15 soldier) and wow this game is awesome, I love sending out my bloodwing right after a possible critical snipe then, unloading the rest of the clip and if needed shotgunning aggro'ed enemies, Sucks my Fallout 3 GOTY just delivered today as well, don't know if I can/should stick with co op for now Borderlands and play parallel Fallout, of just hold off on fallout until borderlands has ran is main game course... starting to feel like I will not have time for Assassins Creed 2 (sequel to one of my most favorite games of this gen right behind FEAR)

Side NOTE: Reports on many sites are shortages for borderlands especially 360 in US and Canada, which is great news, should mean, much support and DLC coming...

My question is how chaotic does 3 or 4 player get, I have some friends I think will be buying or bought the game and joining soon.

sick unable to play borderlands :(

can anyone explain to me the Damage: 20 then it flashes "x10" is that for each round? so like a shotgun has 10pieces of buckshot per shell and each could do 20 damage each? I wasn't clear about what that flashing yell multiplier meant.

[quote name='tokitoki50']I got lucky today and my level 26 siren found 2 alien weapons and 2 legendary weapons, one SMG and one Shotgun. The SMG is ridiculous. If anyone is interested I'll post the stats here.[/QUOTE]

Post away, I'm curious.

If you want to see more orange weapons theres pics of a bunch on the gearbox forums here

the red text = hidden bonuses, theres another thread where people are trying to figure out what effect they all have

bread's done
Back