Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

A patch is coming soon! No date yet. Features:

* * Characters that have lost skill points will have them returned the next time they are loaded
* * Most instances involving character data loss when playing online should no longer occur
* * Item cards now display the intended five lines of text
* * Achievements should now unlock properly. Players should automatically receive achievements that did not unlock correctly
* * Fixed a progression issue in the Find Steele mission – characters affected by this issue should now be able to continue progressing
* * Some issues involving external data manipulation of the backpack and character level have been addressed
* * The auto-aim option should now fully disable auto-aim properly
* * Fixed a bug that kept challenges and achievements from unlocking for the rest of a session after visiting arenas
* * Fixed some formatting issues with the server list screen.
* * Fixed an issue causing servers to report the incorrect plot mission.
* * Proficiency progress to the next level should no longer be lost when leaving a multiplayer game as a client
* * Lilith's "Silent Resolve" skill now works as intended
* * Fixed a bug that allowed Mordecai to spawn multiple Bloodwings
* * Mordecai's "Loaded" skill now increases mag capacity by 20%
* * Roland's "Scattershot" skill has had its spread adjustment corrected, and damage now increases at +5 per level

Source: http://kotaku.com/5424530/borderlands-update-fixes-many-a-bothersome-bug

To the guy who asked if we're both on the same version, yes. We both own the Steam version of the game. I'm afraid the way its setup, it just wont work. Maybe two people who have the retail copies could give it a shot and see if its possible for them.

[quote name='eastx']A patch is coming soon! No date yet. Features:

* * Characters that have lost skill points will have them returned the next time they are loaded
* * Most instances involving character data loss when playing online should no longer occur
* * Item cards now display the intended five lines of text
* * Achievements should now unlock properly. Players should automatically receive achievements that did not unlock correctly
* * Fixed a progression issue in the Find Steele mission – characters affected by this issue should now be able to continue progressing
* * Some issues involving external data manipulation of the backpack and character level have been addressed
* * The auto-aim option should now fully disable auto-aim properly
* * Fixed a bug that kept challenges and achievements from unlocking for the rest of a session after visiting arenas
* * Fixed some formatting issues with the server list screen.
* * Fixed an issue causing servers to report the incorrect plot mission.
* * Proficiency progress to the next level should no longer be lost when leaving a multiplayer game as a client
* * Lilith's "Silent Resolve" skill now works as intended
* * Fixed a bug that allowed Mordecai to spawn multiple Bloodwings
* * Mordecai's "Loaded" skill now increases mag capacity by 20%
* * Roland's "Scattershot" skill has had its spread adjustment corrected, and damage now increases at +5 per level

Source: http://kotaku.com/5424530/borderlands-update-fixes-many-a-bothersome-bug[/QUOTE]

So, I take it this is a console patch since it mentions achievements?

[quote name='SEH']So, I take it this is a console patch since it mentions achievements?[/QUOTE]Yeah, consoles only for now as per usual.
[quote name='eastx']* * Some issues involving external data manipulation of the backpack and character level have been addressed[/QUOTE]
Lol, guess they're fixing hacked guns and the people with billions of HP. Sucks because the most fun I've had was running around with a rocket launcher pistol one-shotting just about anything lol.

This game has been on my back burner due to L4D2 and the fact that I couldn't stand the field of vision.

I decided to edit the config files to give a greater field of vision though and am able to enjoy the game much more.

One thing now though is that the current 9.11 catalyst has some bug that turns some textures to just plain grey. 9.12 comes in a couple days though and supposedly fixes the issue.

What is this catalyst you speak of?

I haven't had problems with the field of vision. Good that you can change it though.

[quote name='eastx']What is this catalyst you speak of?

I haven't had problems with the field of vision. Good that you can change it though.[/QUOTE]

It's ATi's driver software that enables forced AA, among other things.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']It's ATi's driver software that enables forced AA, among other things.[/QUOTE]
And by other things, you mean not being able to play games like Saboteur without workarounds lol. Used to have a lot of love for ATi, but definitely not the drivers.

[quote name='necrojustice']My character is Level 12 or so and I'm looking for a few people to Co-Op on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Add me in x fire commander0zero... I am level 10 at this point. Just realize I am ok at best but I'm really loving borderlands.

I have a question about the eradian artifacts, i cant go above level 4 on any of the elements for my action skill. Im a level 47 soldier and have like a stockpile of these artifacts, how do i increase the level of elemental damage????

How does Borderlands run on the PC? I played the PS3 Version and it could chug down to 5 FPS if more than two people were in a game.

I would be up for a 4 Pack if I can figure out if it runs well on my PC.

[quote name='HowStern']This game has been on my back burner due to L4D2 and the fact that I couldn't stand the field of vision.

I decided to edit the config files to give a greater field of vision though and am able to enjoy the game much more.

One thing now though is that the current 9.11 catalyst has some bug that turns some textures to just plain grey. 9.12 comes in a couple days though and supposedly fixes the issue.[/QUOTE]

This can be fixed in the interim by disabling AI in the ATI CCC.

I'm on the level 10 quest or whatever and having a hell of a time... only level 7 and just getting owned trying to beat him... I'm soldier class. No one ever joins my game when I host either... just started playing yesterday.

[quote name='Lorddraco07']Well post your specs and that should give a good indicator of how you could run it.[/QUOTE]

Macbook Pro - LED Backlit Display 1440x900 Native

Dual Core 2.4ghz (I would have to look at what chipset it is.. It was whatever they were pushing in 2008)

2 Gigs Ram

8600 GT 512MB DDR3 (Overclocked Core 500/ Mem 700/ Shader 1200)

It runs Crysis @ 1440x900 Medium on everything except effects on High at 35 - 40 FPS. (25 FPS in the Snow)

It runs "The Witcher" 1440x900 2X AA very smooth with everything set high except distance. (don't know the FPS but a guess is that it's in the 50s)

It runs Company of Heroes @ 1440x900 4X AA, Max Settings at 50 - 60 FPS.

[quote name='Kenrik']Macbook Pro - LED Backlit Display 1440x900 Native

Dual Core 2.4ghz (I would have to look at what chipset it is.. It was whatever they were pushing in 2008)

2 Gigs Ram

It runs Crysis @ 1440x900 Medium on everything except effects on High at 35 - 40 FPS. (25 FPS in the Snow)

It runs "The Witcher" 1440x900 2X AA very smooth with everything set high except distance. (don't know the FPS but a guess is that it's in the 50s)

It runs Company of Heroes @ 1440x900 4X AA, Max Settings at 50 - 60 FPS.[/QUOTE]

That should be able to run Borderlands on medium smoothly at least.

[quote name='Kenrik']Macbook Pro - LED Backlit Display 1440x900 Native

2 Gigs Ram

It runs Company of Heroes @ 1440x900 4X AA, Max Settings at 50 - 60 FPS.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually running Borderlands on a MacBook Pro with that same processor...4 GB RAM...and only the 256 MB version of the 8600 GT, and it runs great using Windows 7. I have it running at 1440x900 with everything on high except textures, which are medium, and shadows, which I turned off. I can't give you a specific FPS since I never cared enough to check, but I know it runs smooth. I'm level 36, and this machine is the only one I've played on. Starting playthrough 2 soon. :D

New DLC announced: 'Secret Armory of General Knoxx."

This DLC raises the level cap (unknown), adds more weapons, more vehicles, enemy type(s) and more quests (for level 34-50 characters).

Gamespot: Third Borderlands DLC loaded with new vehicles, mechs
1UP: Gearbox Raising Borderlands Level Cap with General Knoxx DLC
Destructoid: 'Secret Armory of General Knoxx' Borderlands DLC revealed

681.jpg

682.jpg

I'm looking foward to this as I've recently gotten back into Borderlands and would love some new content. Unfortunately, if they follow the track record of their last two DLC packs (and they most likely will), then there will be SecuRom included with a 5 machine activation limit (with no revoke tool AFAIK) even on the Steam versions, so that hampers my anticipation.

If they released a revoke tool, removed the DRM altogether, or if Gearbox/2k released all the DLC as a pack and Steam had a deal on it, then I'd be in. Until then, I'll wait patiently and see what happens. Still love the game though.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I'm just going to hold out for a big DLC pack or weekend deal. I feel like they're not very good at making this DLC look must-have.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly on waiting for a DLC pack.

I kinda thought this DLC looked kinda must-have though...at least more so than the other two.

Even though Borderlands was my favorite game last year, I just can't buy the DLC packs. I don't want to play a short 5 hour burst of borderlands then move on into a new entire area. I would rather one that is like 15-20 hours with one big idealized area then smaller areas.

I just noticed the game updating

Multiplayer connectivity has been improved; users should no longer be required to forward ports to host or join multiplayer games

Players who experienced distorted shadows or graphical glitches after update 1.0.1 should no longer experience these issues

The 3D Vision crosshair has been improved

I'm not going to try but hopefully everyone can host now.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I'm not going to try but hopefully everyone can host now.[/QUOTE]Oh you mean you don't have to take down your firewall anymore just to play with friends? What ingenuity!

Seriously, that kind of garbage should never have existed in the first place and none of my friends even play anymore, so it's far too late for me. Color me unimpressed when they can manage to crank out two money making DLCs, yet important bug fixes like this only now get resolved.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh you mean you don't have to take down your firewall anymore just to play with friends? What ingenuity!

Seriously, that kind of garbage should never have existed in the first place and none of my friends even play anymore, so it's far too late for me. Color me unimpressed when they can manage to crank out two money making DLCs, yet important bug fixes like this only now get resolved.[/QUOTE]

Preach. I had a few friends into this game too and left it already for some of that same nonsense. I came close to getting this game too but I am glad I did not.

I don't believe Jodou actually has friends. He's never said anything honest and non-trolling about Borderlands, so take his spatter with a grain of salt.

Great that they finally fixed mutliplayer! I complained about the PC version's issues in my IGN interview: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/106/1065216p1.html

A few days later, they get fixed. Coincidence? I think not. :D

[quote name='Jodou']QQ[/QUOTE]

LoL you're still not over this game and still nerd raging? Stop being so ass hurt and move on.

[quote name='kilm']LoL you're still not over this game and still nerd raging? Stop being so ass hurt and move on.[/QUOTE]
But you'd miss me too much!

[quote name='Jodou']But you'd miss me too much![/QUOTE]

No, I wouldn't. If you need any more encouragement, GTFO.

So glad they FINALLY released this patch. It is indeed a very late patch and it sucks that the consoles and DLC took priority over making the game's multiplayer actually WORK on PC. But whatever, I thought there weren't going to be anymore patches so this came as a pleasant surprise to me and I'm glad they at least cared a little bit to fix it.

Ok. Jodou, please, just leave us in peace. I've been watching you shit all over this game and this thread for a long time now. What baffles me is why you are actually taking the time to come in here and post if you despise the game so much. Why do you feel the need to come in here and spout off some smart-ass comments (though you sometimes have good points) about a game you despise? Is it to piss off those who like it? Is it to subtly poke fun at us because we don't have such a SUPERIOR taste in games like you do? Is it just because you hate almost every game you play and would rather pass the time by taking a crap on it than playing something you do enjoy?
It doesn't make sense to me.

Whatever, I've done my best to ignore you (which is what I should be doing right now) but I had to say something. Please, just leave us alone. Anyway, that's all I'm going to say. I don't want to get involved in some stupid flame war. I just want to run a decent thread.

[quote name='eastx']Great that they finally fixed mutliplayer! I complained about the PC version's issues in my IGN interview: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/106/1065216p1.html[/QUOTE]

Lol, did you mean to say Torchlight EastX? Isn't Torchwood a british show and a Doctor Who spin-off? Great interview though!

Ok, I'm sorry about that last post. I had just woken up and had just started my work week which involves me trying to adjust my sleep schedule from nights to days. Needless to say, I was pretty cranky.

I kind of got out of hand there, and that was out of character for me. I usually hate confrontation and arguments. Too stressful. So yeah, those kind of comments don't come out of me very often.

My sincerest apologies.

(You can come off as kind of a jerk sometimes though ;).)

Judou probably just feels betrayed by this game, if that makes sense. Gearbox made a lot of promises regarding the PC version - how it would be the definitive version...not just a quick port of a console game...that time was being spent to make sure it played like a PC game. However, that's exactly what we got. Multiplayer that required port forwarding to work. Getting the game/patches/dlc weeks after the consoles. And the ui issues...

Oh were there UI issues. Having to use page-up and page-down to read quest text (vs, say, using a mouse's scrollwheel). The fact that holding 'e' would both auto-pickup all items around you (if focused on an item) or pickup and equip a weapon (if focused on a weapon) (really annoying since quest items and green-quality weapons had the same green beacon-light). Then we had my personal favorite - the fact that only four lines of Weapon text would display even if the weapon had five lines worth of text.

Most of the issues ended up getting fixed. But for those that picked it up at launch, it's not hard to believe someone could be so soured towards Borderlands.

Duke, apologizing to him is a bad thing. Should the Allies have apologized to Hitler? Do we apologize to serial killers? That might seem hyperbolic, but the point is there is no need to apologize (or even be polite really) to bad people. It's good to show some backbone now and then.

Dang, I thought I corrected that 'Torchwood' thing. Must have sent the wrong draft, heh. I emailed the editor, so hopefully they'll fix it.

I always saw a bunch of people saying that multiplayer didn't properly work, but myself and my six other friends who all purchased the game never had an issue with it.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Judou probably just feels betrayed by this game, if that makes sense. Gearbox made a lot of promises regarding the PC version - how it would be the definitive version...not just a quick port of a console game...that time was being spent to make sure it played like a PC game. However, that's exactly what we got. Multiplayer that required port forwarding to work. Getting the game/patches/dlc weeks after the consoles. And the ui issues...

Oh were there UI issues. Having to use page-up and page-down to read quest text (vs, say, using a mouse's scrollwheel). The fact that holding 'e' would both auto-pickup all items around you (if focused on an item) or pickup and equip a weapon (if focused on a weapon) (really annoying since quest items and green-quality weapons had the same green beacon-light). Then we had my personal favorite - the fact that only four lines of Weapon text would display even if the weapon had five lines worth of text.

Most of the issues ended up getting fixed. But for those that picked it up at launch, it's not hard to believe someone could be so soured towards Borderlands.[/QUOTE]

Oh and I agree completely. I felt rather betrayed as well. It sucked to have a game I looked forward to for so long end up just being another low-priority port. I still had a lot of fun with the game (after some ini editing) though.

I guess I was just referring to how he kind of came in here every now and then, would make a wise crack about how the "gun system is retarded" or something and it just kind of felt like he was laughing at those who liked the game.

[quote name='eastx']Duke, apologizing to him is a bad thing. Should the Allies have apologized to Hitler? Do we apologize to serial killers? That might seem hyperbolic, but the point is there is no need to apologize (or even be polite really) to bad people. It's good to show some backbone now and then.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I kind of felt bad about it as I never do things like that. I just didn't want to end up being part of a flame war. There's nothing more obnoxious than to be reading a thread and then watch it turn into pages and pages of personal insults. I guess I wanted to nip that in the bud right away before it happened. I still told him he can be a jerk sometimes though!

[quote name='DukeEdwardI'](You can come off as kind of a jerk sometimes though ;).)[/QUOTE]
Pfft, don't insult me like that. I'm far worse than just a jerk.

At any rate, you really shouldn't sweat it. These boards are MUCH tamer than the scum I'm used to and the stuff we say would have us banned in a heartbeat. I don't take anything personally and neither should you.
[quote name='eastx']Should the Allies have apologized to Hitler?[/QUOTE]So what's it like? You know, living with dementia.

Lots of "Secret Armory of General Knoxx" DLC updates!

Previews/Interviews:
Gamespot: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC First Look
Destructoid: Borderlands 'General Knoxx' is overloaded with awesome
GiantBomb: Borderlands - The Secret Preview of General Knoxx

Video:
Gametrailers: T-Bone Junction Walkthrough
Gametrailers: Crimson Tollway Walkthrough
Gametrailers: Lakebed Walkthrough
-These have some spoilers in them, so beware!

Screenshots:
black_mech_stomp-noscale.jpg

crimson_assasin-noscale.jpg

omgwhaaa-noscale.jpg

Out%20and%20about-noscale.jpg

skagriders-noscale.jpg
-OMGWTF at the third one

Other Articles:
Destructoid: Borderlands DLC #3 features ridiculous new weapons
Destructoid: The technical improvements of Borderlands 'General Knoxx'

Things to note:
-Will cost $10
-Level cap raised to 61
-New tier of weapons (Pearlescent)
-40 new missions/quests
-20 to 30 new enemy types (sexy duel-wielding assassin ladies, soldiers with jetpacks, lancer medics, skag riding midgets, )
-3 new vehicles (one of which can hold all 4 players)
-Increased inventory size (via quest rewards)
-Scooter and Marcus are back

Other interesting tidbits:
-End boss will be level 64 and will be best chance to get new rare weapons (Pearlescent). This can be farmed over and over unlike the end boss in the original game.
-Each seat in the 4 seater vehicle has a different use: one drives, one shoots a cannon, one drops mines and one fires an AOE blast wave that knocks enemies back.
-Seems to be a bigger focus on the story and vehicle segments (long stretches of highway, more vehicles, etc.)
-NPCs are said to be more animated rather than just standing there.
-In order to prevent players from becoming too OP, some of the skills are going to have their percentages adjusted (aka nerfed).

All in all, it's looking pretty damn good. Kinda bummed that there aren't new skills though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT looks like some serious DLC. I feel bad for anyone who got Mad Moxxie's.

I'm still going to wait for the inevitable DLC pack on Steam though.

My friends and I all bought the Zombie Island DLC, played it for about an hour, then quit. We haven't touched it since. It's odd because we all loved and played the hell out of Borderlands. The DLC just seems lacking though. Hopefully this new batch fixes that.

bread's done
Back