Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

New DLC releases this week! Today on 360, Thursday on PC/PS3.

1UP: General Knoxx DLC Coming to Borderlands on 360 tomorrow

EDIT: New update coming out alongside DLC

Borderlands Update 1.30 Notes

Addressed issues:
- Invalid weapons or items can no longer be loaded into the game
- Brick’s Centurion class mods now regenerate health correctly
- Brick’s Bombardier class mods now regenerate rockets correctly
- Roland’s Tactician class mods now regenerate shields correctly and display the correct bonus values
- Roland’s Rifleman class mods now apply damage increase to all machine guns
- Certain powerful legendary item names should now be displayed in the appropriate color
- Opening the bank in the Mad Moxxi DLC no longer prevents other players from moving
- Multiple copies of DLC missions can no longer be obtained
- Corrected some incorrect icons in the ammo vendor
- Fixed a crash caused by killing the final boss while zoomed in with a scope
- The “Careful, he bites” achievement should now properly unlock when playing in French
- Added icons to the server browser that indicate which DLCs the server has installed
- The server browser now displays the name of the DLC a server is playing instead of the plot mission
- Adjusted scrolling in menu options in long server lists
- Added a notification if a player attempts to continue a game saved in DLC that is no longer installed
- Fixed DLC notification dialogs that were not closing properly
- Alt-F4 no longer closes the game if it is not in focus (PC Only)
- Fixed an issue which resulted in corruption in saved games (360)
- Added support for allowing multiple user login on PS3, so that friends can play on another player's system in splitscreen. (PS3)
- Fixed graphical distortion and crashes some PS3 users may be experiencing (PS3)
- Zombie Island achievements and trophies now unlock properly in splitscreen (360, PS3)

Balance adjustments:
- Chests in New Haven have been adjusted to contain more appropriate loot
- The duration of daze effects has been reduced to 6 seconds, and the amount by which it decreases the speed of enemies and their projectiles has been reduced
- Damage from shock elemental effects has been increased
- Repeater pistol damage has been slightly increased, accuracy slightly decreased
- Sniper Rifle critical hit bonus has been increased

I read that "more appropriate loot" in New Haven means removing all the red chests. No more New Haven farming I guess :cry:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I regret not getting in on a 4 pack during the Steam Holiday sale. I'll keep hoping for a sale until the next holiday sale I guess.

DLC out now!

Steam Link

The biggest thing I noticed however is that there isn't any SecuRom bullshit tagged on to this DLC like the other two had. I'm hoping that this is the case and not a Steam screw up.

I'm thinking I might cave and get this as it looks to be some pretty amazing content.

So this is supposed to be the last DLC? I've been waiting for an "all in" pack. However I'm wondering if this wins GoTY and get a GoTY package I would assume any "GoTY" or otherwise newer DLC would be tossed in as well however I can't recall that ever happening.

[quote name='AvidWriter']So this is supposed to be the last DLC? I've been waiting for an "all in" pack. However I'm wondering if this wins GoTY and get a GoTY package I would assume any "GoTY" or otherwise newer DLC would be tossed in as well however I can't recall that ever happening.[/QUOTE]

There is a compilation disc coming out in the UK that has all 3 DLCs included coming out next month, but I don't know if that will be coming stateside or not. I'm holding out as well for a DLC pack and then a subsequent sale on said pack.

1UP: Borderlands DLC Disc Compilation Coming to U.K.

Hearing some disappointing news about General Knoxx though. Apparently when you complete the DLC, your character is at level 61, but a good majority of the game does not scale up to match your level like playthrough 2.5 did before the General Knoxx DLC hit. So you have a level 61 character and only a few small areas (also the Moxxi DLC) where enemies are actually around level 61 and drop decent loot. Here's the thread over at the official forums:

Gearbox Forums: Knoxx and Scaling

I got a ridiculous gun from killing motorhead, it totally wastes all my combat rifle ammo but is fun to have. Its called the chopper

[quote name='yukafls']I got a ridiculous gun from killing motorhead, it totally wastes all my combat rifle ammo but is fun to have. Its called the chopper[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see the stats on that gun. You couldn't export a jpeg and then post it here could you?

I myself just got a pretty sweet blue Masher. 87x7 damage (i think), with like a high 80s accuracy. It's pretty beefy looking. Wish it had a minor zoom on it though. That would be awesome.

[quote name='Mike UFC']I regret not getting in on a 4 pack during the Steam Holiday sale. I'll keep hoping for a sale until the next holiday sale I guess.[/QUOTE]

My prayers have been answered. Thank you Steam!

I hope they put out Knox in a retail pack at some point like they just did for the first two pieces of DLC. I'm just so wary of picking it up digitally.

I picked this up on the steam deal and it is great. Really has that WoW Diablo feel where you keep wanting to do stuff and grab more loot. Feels like the leveling part of WoW if it were an FPS and a lot less monotonous. You grab a bunch of quests go out into the wilds kill a bunch of stuff and come back with mad loot.

I am playing as the hunter and the inventory has been good so far. I have heard a lot of complaints about that. Since he specializes in two guns its easy to sell the others. I can see if you are playing as the soldier where that would be a huge issue. I got to the third weapon slot but not sure what weapon type to use. Got a bazooka in their now. I am glad they let you sell the stuff at random machines instead of having to go all the way back to a town. Also doing multiple quests at once is great.

I haven't tried any coop yet but would like to at some point. The game seems to have a lot of talents that will help each other out.

605.jpg

Claptrap's New Robot Revolution comes out 9/28/10. It adds claptrap-ified enemies, 20 new missions, 10 skill points and 3 more backpack slots. Will be $10.

Also, Gearbox is releasing a free update that increases the level cap to 69 and rebalances the game to account for that.

Hopefully that means a more even experience when playing as it's currently very easy to become overleveled by just doing side missions and playing the Zombie Island DLC.

Not even remotely interested in this game anymore. My friends and I all love it, and we tried to go through it again when they added achievements but we just couldn't do it. In my opinion, with the lack of different classes and variety in missions, it's only worth going through once.

I really wish they'd just get started on a true sequel instead of pumping out DLC that I'll never buy.

Yeah, worries me that they're handling Duke Nukem but at this point I don't think there's much they can do to fuck it up.

I just recently picked this up during Steam's sale. It was fun playing a mission with my low level friend and watching him shoot up 5 levels during the course.

A question, do you have to worry about selling off unique guns like TK's Wave and the Lady Finger? IS there any way to get them back, or reward for keeping them? It seems some bosses respawn, as I just fought Bonehead again, randomly. So, I'm not worried about selling off their weapons.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']A question, do you have to worry about selling off unique guns like TK's Wave and the Lady Finger? IS there any way to get them back, or reward for keeping them? It seems some bosses respawn, as I just fought Bonehead again, randomly. So, I'm not worried about selling off their weapons.[/QUOTE]

Nah, there's no special benefit to keeping those weapons. You'll find weapons better than those within no time. If you do sell them (or any other weapon you didn't mean to), the only way to get them back is to go to the buyback tab on the vending machine. I'm not sure about this, but I think you have to do that BEFORE you leave the vending machine otherwise that weapon is gone for good.

Thanks.

Here's another issue I'm running into. Other people can hear me but I can't hear them at all. We've been using Steam chat as a work around.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Thanks.

Here's another issue I'm running into. Other people can hear me but I can't hear them at all. We've been using Steam chat as a work around.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, don't bother with the in-game chat. They dropped the ball with that. At release you couldn't even turn off your microphone. You had to edit a config file. Thankfully they patched in an option a couple months later. I've used Ventrilo as a workaround. My buddy has a server and the voice quality is top notch.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Yeah, don't bother with the in-game chat. They dropped the ball with that. At release you couldn't even turn off your microphone. You had to edit a config file. Thankfully they patched in an option a couple months later. I've used Ventrilo as a workaround. My buddy has a server and the voice quality is top notch.[/QUOTE]
We've tried using Ventrillo and have never ever gotten it to work. I have 2 PC's and I wanted to use it as a server to connect to by we've never gotten off the ground with it.l

This might be entirely unrelated, but if you're playing over a LAN, everyone needs to be signed in to Gamespy for mics to work. It's stupid as all hell but the in-game chat requires the games to be signed in.
On the bright side, the game does not check CD keys whatsoever (On account of it doesn't have any), so if they were/are playing on copies of the game you threw on your other machines, you can make Gamespy accounts and have them all signed in at once. It's what I ended up doing, threw Borderlands on my second PC for LANing.

If it isn't Gamespy crapping it up then I don't know what's going on.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']We've tried using Ventrillo and have never ever gotten it to work. I have 2 PC's and I wanted to use it as a server to connect to by we've never gotten off the ground with it.l[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Vent can be kind of a pain in the ass to setup. You have to download the server files from the Ventrilo page and tweak that around. I haven't done that in about 3 years so you're on your own. Sorry!

If all else fails, you could try just Skype-ing or Google phoning each other or something.

So my friend and I just beat the game at level 35. What else is there left to do aside from download the DLC?

I'd kind of like to go through the game as a Berserker but I don't feel like playing through the whole thing again so I can level up and get all the SDUs.

Really, there isn't a whole lot left to do. As much as I enjoyed the game there isnt a lot of replay value IMO. Sure, you can still level on your next play through, but nothing changes. It's the main thing I'd like to see fixed with the second one, implement some kind of branching story or something.

I've only played the first one, which was decent. As far as I know, they're all pretty good aside from the Mad Moxxi one.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']So my friend and I just beat the game at level 35. What else is there left to do aside from download the DLC?[/QUOTE]
Playthrough 2.

Well I had $20 in Best Buy Reward Certificates so I used it to get the GOTY Edition the other day (which is on sale for $29.99 until tomorrow). I didn't have anything better to spend it on and thought I'd get this cool looking game as well as the Duke Nukem Forever First Access Pass. I'll go check up on my GameSpy ID when I find out what it is again.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Is there any compelling reason to do that?[/QUOTE]

Tougher enemies and some pretty amazing loot. You find some pretty crazy weapons. That and you can find more claptraps that get you more inventory slots that you can't find in PT1.

But other than that, you'll have to play the DLC to get new areas to explore/more story/more content (general knoxx DLC adds more vehicles and weapons, best DLC of the bunch I've heard).

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Tougher enemies and some pretty amazing loot. You find some pretty crazy weapons. That and you can find more claptraps that get you more inventory slots that you can't find in PT1.

But other than that, you'll have to play the DLC to get new areas to explore/more story/more content (general knoxx DLC adds more vehicles and weapons, best DLC of the bunch I've heard).[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Considering the amount of games I have, yet to beat, I'll probably wait until the DLC pack is on sale again before investing major time in it.

What DukeEdward said. It's roughly the equivalent of going from normal to nightmare in Diablo 2. Nothing exactly new (Except possibly loot), just more of it with bigger numbers.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']i got my retail copy that i bought for $10. add me to steam group[/QUOTE]

Provide a Steam ID and I will do so. Couldn't find maxim2boobles.

Anyone playing this on xbl? I just got the GOTY from the amazon sale. If so please add me. I have a level 25 solider from a previous save but am considering starting a new character as well

Do you guys have any ideas as to how to get the Steam achievements for collecting claptrap drops? I've been farming for hours and hours and they don't want to drop. Is there a mod or something I can change so I get the drops and go on with my game?

[quote name='randomdud']Do you guys have any ideas as to how to get the Steam achievements for collecting claptrap drops? I've been farming for hours and hours and they don't want to drop. Is there a mod or something I can change so I get the drops and go on with my game?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't waste your time. The drop rate for that stuff is EXTREMELY low. As far as I know, there aren't any mods that increase the drop rate.

bread's done
Back