Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

[quote name='crystalklear64']:lol: @ "details"[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. Those aren't really details. You didn't tell me why the story was bad or anything about it, how the enemies acted stupid. If you're under NDA I get it but that would also mean it was an alpha/beta of the game and it's likely only to improve from that point.

[quote name='crystalklear64']:lol: @ "details"[/QUOTE]

Yeah those details weren't really details at all. You just bashed the game without any explanation whatsoever. I'm also not inclined to believe much of what you say since almost all the articles I've posted in the OP say almost all positive things. I'll believe those 10+ articles before I believe one random person on a message board.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Hahaha. I just dont believe its a good game. Plot is pretty fucking stupid, some dumb fucking enemies, weapons are not that bad ass. The FPS/RPG mix is not really implemented that well. IDK just overall a horrible IP, should of sticked with the marine game they were making.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to come in here and rip on a game that others are looking forward to, you could at least talk like you actually played it. You have said you played it and yet you didn't elaborate on any of your points. You just say that the plot is stupid and the enemies are dumb....you don't mention why these things are terrible. I haven't played the game so I can't guarantee it won't be a poor game. I think this game looks pretty cool and I hope that everyone else in this thread will wait for actual reviews.....from people that don't have Brock Lesnar in their avatar.

Fatmans post or so called details are something I normally run across on GameFaqs from Trolls. weird the hands on impressions I heard from publications are praising this game highly for the loot system and being very similar to diablo II in that aspect. You could be right, but your details are too shallow to be taken seriously, so with a grain of salt it is.

Gah, I'm so torn. Which class do I want to play? Which system? Which spec? I'm leaning to PC but Splitscreen sounds like a blast.

Man this game is going to be so awesome.

I found this picture of a skill tree while reading a very well written and detailed post from the people who won some contests and got to go play Borderlands at the Gearbox office in Plano, Texas. Link below the picture.

borderlands-20090819115208674.jpg

Information from Borderlands Players

From what I've read, you'll have enough points to max out one of those trees and have a handful left over. I believe you can respec whenever you wish. A lot of skills were passive from what what I read (higher crit chance, more damage, etc).

The skill tree looks pretty good, if a little bare. Doesn't seem to be too many skills/talents to invest in. But then again, it is more of a shooter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah and I'm really not too worried either as I'm expecting a lot of DLC for this as well. Besides, I was expecting more passive skills anyway as the game is definitely more of a shooter.

I'm curious about the DLC though as I plan on getting it on PC, and since they aren't using GFWL, I wonder how they'll sell/release the DLC. Will it be free and implemented in a patch (like the MP maps in PC versions of Call of Duty?), or will it just not be released at all? Man, that would suck...

Borderlands is $53.99 on Amazon. Quick, somebody make a new thread to discuss this amazing, huge, and unprecedented six dollar price drop on a from Amazon in order to inform the masses who don't have the common sense to religiously check Amazon's pricing when they decide to pre-order a game. C'mon spread the word it's a whole six dollar drop! Totally unheard of!

Sorry everyone, I know after discovering this little gem CAG will never be as fulfilling because obviously no deal could ever touch this one, but hey we had a good run though! :applause: Too bad CAG doesn't have reps like SD to reward the champions who unearth great finds like this and post them within a nanosecond of their inception!

PS. I heard Assassain's Creed II will be $59.97 at Wal-Mart when it drops... $0.02 off retail. Need a thread about this too. Well that just my $0.02 anyway hardy har har.

I like RPG's and FPS's alot, seems like they answered my call with Borderland, one of my most anticisapated game this holiday season

I have to say I was a little disappointed. It was funny and all but I wanted more information about the game. Still pumped as always for it though.

A lot has been said about the cel-shaded graphics, and I'll give my personal opinion. After five minutes, it's not noticeable
That's from the Demonoid article, and I have to say I agree. After watching the 20 minutes or so of gameplay we've been given and the few trailers, the artstyle went from looking totally alien to very comfortable with me. I like that effect.

Thanks for all the links Duke, I'm exploding with anticipation.

EDIT: A few notes of interest:

While I didn't receive this particular gem, a fellow journalist received a rocket-launching shotgun, and I was jealous.

Other things that make Borderlands feel RPG-like is the inclusion of color customizations for your characters, as well as loot drops and the hierarchy of weapon and shield drops. Certain areas are randomized, meaning each playthrough will be at least marginally different.

Coming at earliest in early 2010, the really exciting portion of DLC for Borderlands is that they can build on the most popular aspects of the game. If people are really digging the arenas, Dueling and PvP, there will be more DLC devoted to that. If the story elements are most popular, there will be more of that. If the character class system proves to be really popular, and they find room for improvement, there will be new classes to play.

The game has 30 main mission chains, each ranging from one to 15 missions long, along with 120 optional side quests, according to Pitchford

I'm pretty excited for this game, but I'm still holding out for final reviews before pre-ordering or anything like that. The idea is pretty radical and the game looks amazing. Online co-op should be really fun.

New preview from Gamespot that gives out a few more details, but not a lot more than what we've already heard.

Gamespot: Updated Hands-On - Exclusive Look at Shooting, Gaining Levels and Exploring the Wasteland

EDIT: I must also apologize for the last 2 articles I posted. Those actually weren't new at all. They were just two of the many previews that were released in late July and those links were already in the OP. There were so many previews/interviews/videos that day, they all kind of blended together. I didn't remember some of those articles. So, sorry about that!

After watching all of the new videos, I definitely think I will purchase this game when its released, pending reviews. I like Gearbox a lot and have faith that this will be a pretty solid title. It also helps for me that I love shooters and the thought of this many guns sounds quite awesome.

Huge Borderlands fan here myself...

Newegg had the PC version for $46.99 with free 3 day shipping but it disappeared :( I think because of Amazon.

Either way, I want to preorder it online and my choice is between Walmart.com and Amazon.com. Walmart with site-to-store (iffy? wondering if anyone has EVER preordered a game online with site to store? or if I could just walk in day of release and grab a copy off the shelf instead of them just giving me a random single box copy that was individually mailed to them...?)

Or Amazon, while using my free Prime trial to get free 2 day shipping. Anyone? How's Amazon on game preorders? Cause I've heard horror stories.

I can also post the skill trees for each of the classes if it hasn't been posted before, just don't have the links handy.

[quote name='Rhett']Huge Borderlands fan here myself...

Newegg had the PC version for $46.99 with free 3 day shipping but it disappeared :( I think because of Amazon.

Either way, I want to preorder it online and my choice is between Walmart.com and Amazon.com. Walmart with site-to-store (iffy? wondering if anyone has EVER preordered a game online with site to store? or if I could just walk in day of release and grab a copy off the shelf instead of them just giving me a random single box copy that was individually mailed to them...?)

Or Amazon, while using my free Prime trial to get free 2 day shipping. Anyone? How's Amazon on game preorders? Cause I've heard horror stories.

I can also post the skill trees for each of the classes if it hasn't been posted before, just don't have the links handy.[/QUOTE]

I plan on getting Borderlands from Amazon. I've had Amazon Prime for maybe 5 or 6 months. I have had no bad experiences from Amazon, this includes pre-orders. The pre-order price guarantee is also nice.

[quote name='bg88']I plan on getting Borderlands from Amazon. I've had Amazon Prime for maybe 5 or 6 months. I have had no bad experiences from Amazon, this includes pre-orders. The pre-order price guarantee is also nice.[/QUOTE]

Well, how's their shipping time? Or, rather, how was it? I've heard some people who preordered music had nightmarish times getting it... up to a week later it shipped...

Damn these online retailers having better prices and no taxes :p

[quote name='Rhett']Well, how's their shipping time? Or, rather, how was it? I've heard some people who preordered music had nightmarish times getting it... up to a week later it shipped...

Damn these online retailers having better prices and no taxes :p[/QUOTE]

Are you asking about the Prime shipping? If so, I always get what I order in 2 days at the most. Sometimes if I order something early enough in the day, I will get it the next day. I've never pre-ordered music from Amazon so I have no idea about that. From my experiences with Amazon they have always been quite reliable.

[quote name='Rhett']
[/QUOTE]
With games I've never had a problem with Prime. Games always come in 2 days or less-- if release-date shipping applies, it's a free upgrade.

So they are pretty reliable for release-date ships? That's what I was wondering, just was cautious after reading a few bad stories is all...

Thanks for the info, Amazon is getting my money :) Woot for free ECA membership, too!

The only time I've ever had a problem with a game from Amazon was with Gears of War 2, but I ordered that really late and they probably had a ton of orders.

I can't say I've played it but after having owned and played Hellgate London since its beta, and putting plenty of time into Too Human... There's a handful of things that could go very wrong. I have hope though.

Like the enemies, besides an awesome boss fight, are they really as dumb as they're appearing to be?

Or running around... I mean, I'm not entirely impressed with the skill tree, but Gearbox said they're anxious to see what mods people will make, and I can't wait to see expanded trees (or diablo 2-esque complicated mods!)

I've adored Gearbox and they have alot of respect from me, since Opposing Force (HL1 expansion) so I'm gonna give them this one and preorder it...

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Game is fun, and anyone who says they played for a couple hours at Gearbox and they now know that the story is shit is a fucking liar.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha, good for you

Awwwww yeaaaaaaaaaah, Borderlands LAN party anyone?

As for AI, I've seemed to notice in videos that the lower level the players are, the stupider the AI is. On the tutorial clips they're damn well near retarded, but on a few of the ~lvl 14 clips they seem to make better choices.

And after looking at the skill tree
I'm really disappointed at the lack of skills in the tree. I had hoped there'd be at least one end tree skill per tree to make them unique. Aside from that, they all look like they have their uses. Looks good!

I'm totally down for LAN, except for the whole living somewhere else in the country part. I need more people to play with online though. I've only got my roommate and one other guy. Any takers? I don't bite.

Regarding the skill trees
yeah, I thought they'd end up a little lacking. But like you said, they seem diverse enough.

Also:
Gametrailers: Borderlands Preview

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I demand a list in the OP detailing who is getting this game and for what system!

I plan to get it for PS3. And a certain someone better rent the PS3 version and give me my viral trophy or I'm gonna have to start some violence. (slight rant)[/QUOTE]

While a good idea, I've already gotten a little carried away with the OP and adding everybody's name to it would make it HUGE and would probably take a minute to scroll through. Making a new topic seems pointless though...perhaps I should trim the OP down a bit? Or make the list somewhere else? Suggestions?

Oh, I plan on getting this for PC unless is has some horrid DRM or is a shitty port (early reports say it's not).

I would replace the huge youtube videos with a list of all the videos (or just a link to GameTrailers...)

A list of CAGs with what system they plan on buying isn't outrageous, but I see it being tedious atleast.

bread's done
Back