Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

That Maximum PC article was kind of interesting. Guess I thought Randy and Gearbox were good buddies with Steam/Valve, but I guess not?

I can see what he means about Valve controlling the digital distribution market though. It's pretty much on the top of DD markets. But there are tons of other markets too. Impulse, D2D, Gamersgate, etc. There is some competition and the folks who use Impulse religiously feel the same way about Valve/Steam as Randy just described. I just use Steam for everything cause I've already got 80+ games on it and it works for me. Plus, they got those sales all the time.

And lol at that "how metal is borderlands" story. I'll just assume they were paraphrasing that incident in Denny's. This is the best part:

"Which is when he turned into an eighteen foot tall, three headed serpent sporting 26 guitars all playing in perfect 26-part, face-melting, harmony. It was a single song lasting forty seven minutes before ending in a pyrotechnics display worthy of a Steven Seagal straight-to-DVD masterpiece. This left most of the patrons in the establishment charred and dying, albeit cheering loudly until their vocal chords were burnt out of their throats. When the serpent had finished his solo, he withered and fell to the ground before turning into a dry white ash and perishing in our presence."

Now here's the question, to upgrade to windows 7 before I play borderlands. I'm thinking so, any one else in the same boat.

I'm super excited for this game. Dare I say Goat-E?

Also, does anyone know how the co-op is going to work on PC? Are you going to set up your own "Borderlands" account or will it use a service like steam or gamespy. I've already pre-ordered on steam, so I hope its integrated, but I know lots of folks hate it when they are required to use steam for a game they don't get off of steam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the major issue that Pitchford has with Steam is the fact that they take a relatively large cut in comparison to other ways of purchasing PC games. I think he was mainly talking about indie companies or single person projects though, comparing the cut they get when you buy directly from their website versus buying from steam.

Also, I believe it was in that article that Pitchford said something that I always thought needed to happen which was separate Valve from the Steam store. I'm not sure how that would work, but Valve games can dominate Steam almost too much and make it harder for some folks to break through. Maybe that's not the case and Steam needs a software developer on their side to help push Steam. But doesn't every single PC gamer know about steam and have their opinions on it?

Anyways, I'd love to interview Pitchford. He seems like a really honest fellow. Really energetic guy. Plus he's from my homeland (AKA the Dallas area.)

[quote name='udabenshen']Also, does anyone know how the co-op is going to work on PC? Are you going to set up your own "Borderlands" account or will it use a service like steam or gamespy. I've already pre-ordered on steam, so I hope its integrated, but I know lots of folks hate it when they are required to use steam for a game they don't get off of steam.[/QUOTE]

It will use Gamespy for co-op. So you can use your Gamespy ID to log in. Not exactly sure if I even have one...I've created so many accounts for different games over a long period of time, I'm going to have to make a list of them or something.

Also, I think seperating Steam from Valve might be a good idea as well. Get some more people working on it so we can have more frequent client updates and faster game releases (instead of waiting until late afternoon for them to unlock it). However, would we still see sales on Valve games like L4D for $25?

This might be blasphemy to say on CAG, but I would rather see Steam as a more equal market place than have Valve have the ability to have such control over the service. That might mean less sales like that, but not necessarily. If anything, it might lead to other publishers getting more of those kinds of sales, because they would feel like they have more of a stake in Steam.

Also, will the gamespy co-op be all in game? If so, then who cares right?

I've got to imagine it will all be in game. Civilization 4 is the only game I play often that uses gamespy, but that has an in-game lobby, and its 4 years old.

HUGE article that goes pretty in-depth with all of Borderlands classes.

TeamXbox: Borderlands - Know Your Heroes

EDIT: Speaking of classes and skills and all that, came across this at the Gamespot forums. Thought it might be useful in planning out your character before the game ships so you don't have to waste any time figuring it out in game instead of killing and looting.

87 Bazillion: Skill Calculator

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']HUGE article that goes pretty in-depth with all of Borderlands classes.

TeamXbox: Borderlands - Know Your Heroes

EDIT: Speaking of classes and skills and all that, came across this at the Gamespot forums. Thought it might be useful in planning out your character before the game ships so you don't have to waste any time figuring it out in game instead of killing and looting.

87 Bazillion: Skill Calculator[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the links. I award you +2 Internets.

They really ought to have made the talent trees more like WoW in that you really only specialize in one, and can dabble in others. I don't like the fact that you can reach the top tier in 2 of them.

Oh well, I'm sure DLC or regular ol' updates will remedy that.

Was reading the maximumpc nterview with the dev and while I can't wait for this game and it's a must buy, I'm not looking forward to multi-player. I don't like how if you join a friends game you don't progrss in yours(though, why would you?..) and I don't like how if someone joins your game the stuff they collect gets leeched, like you can't use it cause they took it. Sounds messy.

I think the game will be a great time singe player as it is.

I'm mildly interested in this game, since it pretty much seems to be a Diablo FPS. However, I don't plan to get at it launch.

Another preview. This one goes into detail about the high level areas of Borderlands and talks a little bit about Lilith's (Siren class) elemental powers:

Gamespot: Borderlands Updated Hands-On - High Level Gameplay

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']They really ought to have made the talent trees more like WoW in that you really only specialize in one, and can dabble in others. I don't like the fact that you can reach the top tier in 2 of them.

Oh well, I'm sure DLC or regular ol' updates will remedy that.[/QUOTE]

I can see what you're getting at, but I respectfully disagree. While this is an RPG, it's definitely more of a shooter first with the main goal of finding more loot and becoming more and more unstoppable. Being able to get the highest skill in more than one tree sounds pretty awesome.

On the flip side, 7 skills per tree seems a little light. It doesn't leave much room for variety. Perhaps they'll add more with patches or DLC?

[quote name='HowStern']Was reading the maximumpc nterview with the dev and while I can't wait for this game and it's a must buy, I'm not looking forward to multi-player. I don't like how if you join a friends game you don't progrss in yours(though, why would you?..) and I don't like how if someone joins your game the stuff they collect gets leeched, like you can't use it cause they took it. Sounds messy.

I think the game will be a great time singe player as it is.[/QUOTE]

That's why you just play with your friendly CAGs. Pretty sure the people here wouldn't ninja all the guns and leave. Regarding the quest progress and stuff, it's not a huge deal for me. I'll join a friend's game to help them out with a certain quest and I get loot that might help me out on a quest I'm currently on. This is one of those games where the quests are MEANT to be played over and over and over again. Remember how many times you've gone through the beginning area of Diablo 2? At least 10-15 times for me. And it was still fun as hell each time.

EDIT:
Speaking of high level gameplay, IGN posted a few new videos that shows exactly that:

IGN: Building Assault
IGN: Street Battle

I just want to point out the framerate in those videos. I don't know what system that was on, but I was impressed.

Yeah I think it would be cool to have a full silger player campaign experience and then hop on with friends after you've both completed the game and see what kind of guns you can get goin'. ;)

[quote name='Lice']So can you make your own character or all they all pre made like left 4 dead?[/QUOTE]

The character designs are all pre-made with each having 3 skill trees which you can use your skill points to customize your character's abilities. Not like, L4D, but almost exactly like Diablo.

[quote name='aheineken']The character designs are all pre-made with each having 3 skill trees which you can use your skill points to customize your character's abilities. Not like, L4D, but almost exactly like Diablo.[/QUOTE]

Ohh okay cool... yeah I meant left 4 dead visual wise, how they are the same people... but diablo 2 makes more sense. Sweeeeet.

You can customize the color scheme of their outfits though.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the DLC that is sure to come would add customization options.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']You can customize the color scheme of their outfits though.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the DLC that is sure to come would add customization options.[/QUOTE]

While I would love more quests, more custimization, MORE LOO00T!!!11!!, etc. I would love to see something different than that.

One of the things that would be kinda cool is like a house/safehouse you find/acquire/buy. Inside, you can put your favorite guns up on display, have a gun safe that has unlimited space and the screenshots you take could be the portraits on your walls, and there will be "trophies" from any of the bosses that you've beaten. Outside, in your backyard you can spawn any enemy you've encountered so far. But they wouldn't give much XP, otherwise people would just stay there and farm at their house and not go out and explore. And of course, there will be an ammo stash that will replentish all your ammo and a garage with a U-Spawn station so you can customize your vehicle.

Eh? Eh? What do you think? I don't know, it sounds cool, but would it work in the context of the game? Oh well, I'm sure i'll be happy with whatever comes out :)

I really hope some PS3 comparison shots/videos are released soon. All the videos and screenshots I've seen have been absolutely gorgeous, which means they are PC shots.

I'd like to see what it looks like on consoles, PS3 specifically....

Yeah @Rouzhokuu.

I just pre-ordered it for the PS3, and I'll wait around 1-2 days before I pick it up.
I want to make sure this game has amazing FPS rate (Frames p/s) for the PS3.

This game reminds me of L4D/ Fallout 3/ Mad Max
Game looks sick though.

And the 8 gamestop guns better be sexy.

(PSN: MGO_Count, ready to play with anyone once Borderlands is out!@)

Woot! Steam has made available for purchase a 4-pack of Borderlands for $134.97! That means that if you can find 4 friends each copy will only be $33.75! I'll bet this thread will turn into what the L4D2 thread what with everybody getting groups together.

4-Pack - $134.97

I'll talk to my roommate and some of my friends, if I come up short of 4, I'll come back here. I'll pay and gift.

Oh man, that 4 pack deal is sweet! I hope that means they'll have a pre-load, since they're giving Borderlands some loving.

[quote name='Count']Please make ps3 FPS (frames per second) above 40-60. 30 is alright :s[/QUOTE]

I believe its been confirmed that both console versions will be locked at 30 fps.

I wish they'd show some PC screens/vids, because if it looks that good on consoles, I can only imagine how good its going to look on high end PC hardware.

I'm a fan of pre-order bonus', but its rather strange to give away 8 guns for free in a game with 17 million randomly generated weapons.

[quote name='csalzman']I'm a fan of pre-order bonus', but its rather strange to give away 8 guns for free in a game with 17 million randomly generated weapons.[/QUOTE]

True, there must be something to those guns that we don't know though.
Maybe they shoot missiles. :applause:

[quote name='Mako1215']Is claptrap ep 3 out yet?[/QUOTE]

My guess would be this week. I would assume the week before release (on consoles) that there would be a marketing push. I'll keep the thread updated!

awesome, from that gamespot preview it sounds like it has a Demon's Souls type of New Game+ option, where you can play it again with all your stuff but everything is a lot harder.

[quote name='IRHari']awesome, from that gamespot preview it sounds like it has a Demon's Souls type of New Game+ option, where you can play it again with all your stuff but everything is a lot harder.[/QUOTE]

Wow really?
Yay replayability!

There is no need to double post. You can edit your posts.

Watched the videos again for this today and I continue to be very excited.

bread's done
Back