Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

[quote name='thekeybladewars']I have a question about how the gun proficiency leveling up is going to work.

So, there's 10 levels, I know that much, but do you get to choose what bonus your gun gets, for instance, if there's any way you could choose to increase the amount of ammo your gun is going to hold over having less recoil, or something? Or does it level up all of your attributes across the board each time your gun levels up?[/QUOTE]

I think it's across the board since its more shooter than RPG. Could be wrong.

Whoops! Sorry about that, adding names now.

Ok, AFTER the GiantBomb quick look...THEN i'm off the stuff until the 26th :)

It's going to be such a rough week, I start my 7-day work week on the 26th!!! Maybe I'll have to call in "sick" one of those days eh? Or if that fails, just drag my PC to work. Thank god for overnight shifts where I can do that.

Already getting the :pc: version, but I've been considering also getting the :360: version to play with other friends (online or split screen).

Anyway, I have GS credit to burn, so I figured I'd look into their promo guns a bit more. My apologies if this has already been posted, but this is what I found.

Condensed information regarding the Gamestop promo:
* The "exclusive" guns can be found in the game world, thus they are not entirely exclusive.
* There are 2 specific guns per character. Each time you make a new character, they spawn with said specific guns in their inventory.
* These guns can be dropped (and traded to other characters).
* This promo only appears to extend to the console versions and not to the PC version.

[quote name='www.co-optimus.com/article/2757/How_The_Borderlands_Pre-Order_Guns_Work.html']
The exclusive pre-order from Gamestop for Borderlands has two things going for it, one involves co-op while the other is just a bit of hard work. In Borderlands there will be a lot of bartering for things in co-op, and the per-order code for the 8 exclusive guns covers any new character you wish to make. That way, you can make a new character and trade your 8 guns to a friend in co-op (or, 8 friends with different shooting-style preferences) then play with your preferred character who also has all the guns.
---
Since Borderlands focus is on guns, thousands of them in fact, you will do a lot of gun-searching while playing. These 8 guns: pistol, shot gun, sniper rifle, rocket launcher, assault rifle, etc will be somewhere in the realm of Borderlands. The downside here is: They may be difficult to find amongst the plethora of other gun options through the game.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/5310243/Borderlands/Product.html **NOT CONFIRMED TO BE THE SAME PROMO PACK AS GAMESTOP, BUT MIGHT BE**']
Mordecai's BLR4-BIA Cruel Swatter and LB30-BIA Vicious Thunder
Roland's BLR-BIA Bad Repeater and CR30-BIA Deathly Stomper
Lilith's TK4-BIA Bad Repeater and TD22-OP4 Relentless SMG
Brick's RF-BIA Repeater and SG10-XX Angry Shotgun
With PICS
5310243l.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The DLC looks pretty nifty, but I'm just worried about the game's staying power because of the level cap.

I loved FO3, but once I hit that level cap I got slightly bored. Hopefully hitting the cap won't be too easy.

I have to assume that he's been playing it practically non-stop since he's got the review copy though. The Giantbomb video had the guy playing in his second playthrough at level 38.

I feel like if you can hit the level 50 cap in around 25 hours then I'm fine with it. Multiply that by each character and then add in equipment grinding, pvp, and arena play and I can hopefully push 150 hours out of the basic game. Fingers crossed though.

Also, I forgot to mention this but today I went to GS and put down a preorder for the 360 version with some extra credit I've been sitting on, so if you can put me on that list I'd appreciate it... GT: MrBryson.

I'll probably still be getting the PC version eventually as I have two friends who are getting that too, but I'll be sitting on it unless some killer mods come out or something.

Yeah, Jeff was on his second playthrough of one character when he showed off his level 38, and it's my understanding that they rest of the GiantBomb crew has been playing the game a lot lately, and they seem genuinely excited about it. Which is good since I trust those guys as I've been reading their reviews way back when they were working for Gamespot and Greg Kasavin was head chief.

Also, I added PSN and XBL tags to those names in the 360 and PS3 lists. If I've forgotten anybody, go ahead and let me know. If you're getting it on PS3 or 360, post your name on those networks as well. And those who are getting it on PC, if you know your Gamespy ID, go ahead and post that here so I can add that next to your name in the PC list.

i just hope the quests are along the lines of Fallout 3, and not the usual MMO fetch-style quests.

Another sort of gripe I have with the game (I still think the game is awesome and will definitely get it), is the pacing. While the fast and furious COD/Halo shooter-style probably appeals more to the masses, I like a more deliberate, slower-tempo shooter like GOW or Rainbow 6.

My Steam ID is AceFan84, it's been so long since I last used the turd known as Gamespy that I have no idea what my ID is. I will try to track it down and get back to you on that one.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']It sucks this game comes out the week i have midterms.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I feel the crunch too- I have so many assignments through the start of November I'm not sure how I'm going to work some game time in...

Supposedly a "lot" of Best Buys are screwing up and putting the game out early (like, even days ago) so head out and grab a copy if you want the console version! :D

I checked mine the yesterday and was unsuccessful (Buffalo). So it looks like I'm waiting until tuesday. That being said, Tuesday can't come any sooner. Luckily my brother bought Demon's Souls so that'll tide me over until then.

I know! Omg, I haven't been so excited for a gaming release in so long... Anything even remotely close, would have been Red Faction: Guerrilla...and that's now collecting dust :(

Gosh, can't wait.

sooo excited to play this game, they having a party for it tom(its midnite so i guess today) near my house where u can play it (i live in dallas n gearbox is texas based) but im doing the 24 hour marathon as selfish as i wanted to b cant turn my back on a good cause!

my gamertag is fokis02 im DEF down for some boderland gameage i hope this is the rite place to post ur tag to get on the list! if not sorri im still new to cag goin easy on my newbishness

I won one of the DLCs 2kgames was giving away on their twitter for borderlands. xbox 360 code. Don't know if' i'm getting the game or not yet so i might trade it away. i think its..weapon pack?

Review!

Found an early review from OXM via Borderlands Guide.

OXM%20Review.jpg

A Gearbox dev commented on the review and the "not saving anywhere" issue (not exactly true):

"It saves anywhere, and it auto saves your character state at every checkpoint and when you quit. What it doesn't do is save every enemy/item in the world. It works just like Diablo, except we have more frequent waypoints. Quit, when you join again, you'll be at the nearest checkpoint and the enemies will be around, which is good because they are all worth XP and have cash and gear. And if you are second guessing a decision about skill points, you can fully respec your character at any save station in the world at any time.

Some people don't the action RPG style save system, and I guess this reviewer is one of those people. I believe it's the best possible way to handle this kind of game, and any other solution would have failed the promise of the game.

As for "not for everyone"?

Damn right, and proud of it."

There was another post there saying there was a positive review from some Australian magazine called AtomicMPC, but couldn't find a link.

[quote name='fokis02']my gamertag is fokis02 im DEF down for some boderland gameage i hope this is the rite place to post ur tag to get on the list! if not sorri im still new to cag goin easy on my newbishness[/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume you're getting it for 360 then and put you in that list.

Last edited by a moderator:
CAG seen has been kind enough to create a Steam group for us!

[CAG] - Border Patrol (CAG-BP)

If you have provided your steam name but have not received an invite, you might need to provide your LOGIN name and not the in-game name or steam community name. There are 3 steam names to keep track of:
1)Login/Username
2)In-game/Profile name
3)The name after www.steamcommunity.com/id/
I know, it's confusing. But we believe it's the login/username you need to provide if you want an invite.

Mikey Neumann (One of the game's devs) was saying last night in a stream that all the reviews he's seen were overwhelmingly positive, so that's a pretty good sign.

OXM always pans multiplat games a little so I wouldn't be surprised if most reviews we see are in the 9's.

[quote name='Irukandji']360 for me

Jon G and Jamie is my GT[/QUOTE]

Your GT is 'Jon G and Jamie'? Is that possible?

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Login: ToRatigan. Also posted to join the CAG group so I can also join the Borderlands group.[/QUOTE]

Don't think you need to join the CAG main group to join the Borderlands group.

EDIT: Ok, this is getting REALLY confusing. It actually helped me MORE in inviting folks to the CAG Borderlands steam group if I had Steam ID/Profile/Chat names and not the Steam login names. I think the steam login name is more useful when adding one to a friend's list or sending them a gift. I think. Hell, I don't know anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo! At first i wasn't gonna get it so soon but the "mainstreamed" trailer i saw today was fantastic lol. I'll be their day one!

gamertag(xbox :) ) Dark Knight OWN

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']
EDIT: Ok, this is getting REALLY confusing. It actually helped me MORE in inviting folks to the CAG Borderlands steam group if I had Steam ID/Profile/Chat names and not the Steam login names. I think the steam login name is more useful when adding one to a friend's list or sending them a gift. I think. Hell, I don't know anymore.[/QUOTE]

Using their login name, add them as a friend then right click and "invite" to group; you can remove them right after you send the invite if you don't want to have too many ppl on your friends list.

[quote name='seen']Using their login name, add them as a friend then right click and "invite" to group; you can remove them right after you send the invite if you don't want to have too many ppl on your friends list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was using the steam community website (I'm at work on my mac, no steam) to find and invite people.

Getting at midnight from my local walmart. No lines, no dealing with gamestop's retarded wait outside till midnight bullshit, no stupid kids.

X360 GT: ADHDeath

gamestop has nice preorder bonus :

Reserve Borderlands and receive the GameStop exclusive Gearbox Mercenary Weapon Pack. This exclusive weapon pack contains 8 unique in-game guns available only to players who pre-order through GameStop. Available online and in-store while supplies last.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']gamestop has nice preorder bonus :

Reserve Borderlands and receive the GameStop exclusive Gearbox Mercenary Weapon Pack. This exclusive weapon pack contains 8 unique in-game guns available only to players who pre-order through GameStop. Available online and in-store while supplies last.[/QUOTE]

There are 87 bazillion guns. . . Those don't matter. I think someone here posting something from Gearbox saying people could get them later in the game, just no start with them. And they're trade-able. Just FYI.

[quote name='Jam424']Steam Tag = skydivejam[/QUOTE]

We need your email or login name you use on steam; if you don't want to post it you can pm it to myself or DukeEdwardI.

bread's done
Back