Borderlands Discussion Thread - Game of the Year Edition Available Now!

Those skill lists are awesome. It doesn't look like this game's afraid of having powerful PCs.

Lilith's list looks like she'll be fun as hell, and the sniper dude looks badass.

The melee guy is cool, but I question going melee in a game with billions of guns.

Found this over at the Gamespot forums. Apparently Randy commented on the site clarifying what he said about him not trusting Valve.

http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?cid=29700607&sid=1399359&tid=64

"As a guy who reads, trusts and respects slashdot and the community here, I figured I'd take the time to clarify my position since my intent has been construed out of context. As a gamer, I *love* Valve's games. Hell, I've *made* some of Valve's games! As a customer, I love Steam. I like owning a credential that I can use from any terminal and I like the software. There are other things I like, too. As a businessman, I appreciate the access to Valve's customers that they are providing with Steam. I think there's value to that access. I'm really happy that the Brothers in Arms games are available on Steam and I think Steam customers are really going to dig Borderlands. I have been and hope to be a partner to Valve for many years. From an industry perspective of digital distribution on the PC, I think Steam is doing it the best right now. They're in front and they're really getting value out of their leadership position with digital distribution on the PC. From an industry perspective, I believe that Steam would be even better off if it were a separate company. Trust issues that result from conflict of interest could be mitigated if Steam were a separate company. Take that only as analysis. It doesn't matter how much I trust Valve or how trustworthy Valve actually is - it's just perception within segments of the publishing and development community that, I guess, no one is really talking about. I'm on record in this article saying how I personally trust Valve. I was attempting to comment on perception from some angles of the industry. I also believe that gamers and customers and anyone making games using 3rd party digital distribution systems would be greatly benefited if Steam had some viable competitors. Competition generally drives higher quality products and services at lower prices. I can't see how anyone could argue against that point. If we love Steam, we should hope that as competition appears that it prompts the Steam folks to go faster and better towards improving the service and the pricing. In spite of the implication made in the original source article, I do not want Microsoft to control digital distribution on PC, but believe they (and others) could enter the space if they wanted to and help the competitive landscape and even, perhaps, help to standardize the landscape a bit. I believe that because Valve is a game maker that generally "gets it" I think there's a lot of value to the position they have and I'm really excited about the risk they took and the foresight Valve showed in paving the way there. These are not mutually exclusive feelings and they are all honest and forthright."

EDIT:
And hooray! 200 posts!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ nice intro.
This game cannot disappoint me, I'm having high expectations.

Just need to pay 40$ for the pre-order.. HYPE HYPE HYPE! :D

Thanks TLPRIME! Man, I'm going to have to stop watching all these videos. I'm getting too excited. Luckily I just Brutal Legend in the mail today and my 2nd playthrough of mass effect to keep me distracted until the 26th.

Oh! Pre-loading has been confirmed by Ennui, the community manager at Gearbox. Hooray!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...erid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post367007873

"Our marketing VP just got back with me and says that yes, we will be able to offer pre-loading for Steam customers!"

^I want to know when. Does this game leak mean they can just let us have it when the consoles do.

[quote name='seen']^I want to know when and does this game leak mean they can just let us have it when the consoles do.[/QUOTE]

Can you repost that in English? I honestly don't understand what you were saying.

[quote name='seen']^I want to know when and does this game leak mean they can just let us have it when the consoles do.[/QUOTE]

A little pushy, are we? :razz:

It's a not a game leak, it's a pre-load. It probably won't be available to pre-load until a few days before. I'm just guessing.

"^I want to know when" The arrow was referencing the continuation of his thought about the preload being available. When I mentioned leak I was referring to the vids posted by TLPRIME.

Well, they really don't care if their games are bought early so I don't understand the issue. With NBA 2k10 they stickied a thread in which people were telling each other where to buy it before the release date.

They just want the money and the game is made, why can't they give everyone what they want? In reality I'm sure it has something to do with them wanting to push console sales first (probably higher margin) so they make us wait in hopes that we might buy a console version instead.

[quote name='seen']"^I want to know when" The arrow was referencing the continuation of his thought about the preload being available. When I mentioned leak I was referring to the vids posted by TLPRIME.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, I get it now. But was that footage of the console or PC version? Looked more like console to me.

[quote name='seen']Well, they really don't care if their games are bought early so I don't understand the issue. With NBA 2k10 they stickied a thread in which people were telling each other where to buy it before the release date.

They just want the money and the game is made, why can't they give everyone what they want? In reality I'm sure it has something to do with them wanting to push console sales first (probably higher margin) so they make us wait in hopes that we might buy a console version instead.[/QUOTE]

That seems the likely thing, no matter what they say to cover it up. 2K probably wanted to PC version held back to sell more console versions and Gearbox had to say they were optimizing it or something to cover 2K's ass.

I think it was from the 360 version. When he goes up to the "New You" station, it shows to press the Blue X Button.

Yeah, I also saw the RT and LT indicators.

6 more days.. NA :)
------
They should make a (free..) DLC for Borderlands where it's similar to L4D.
Go from Point A to Point B with hordes of enemies being thrown at you.

Or like GoW (Gears) similar to Horde/Nazi Zombie/(u2) Co-op arena.

You know what I mean right?

[quote name='Count']

6 more days.. NA :)
[/QUOTE]

Bah, for console versions! I'm picking it up for the PC. I have 12 more days. :cry:

[quote name='Lokki']Bah, for console versions! I'm picking it up for the PC. I have 12 more days. :cry:[/QUOTE]

That's twice compared to console.. :hot:
I think my head would explode if I had to wait twice as much for the console.

[quote name='Count']That's twice compared to console.. :hot:
I think my head would explode if I had to wait twice as much for the console.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's killing me. A couple of months ago, I was only mildly excited for this game. As time has went by and thanks to all of the links in this thread, my excitement has grown.

[quote name='Lokki']Yes, it's killing me. A couple of months ago, I was only mildly excited for this game. As time has went by and thanks to all of the links in this thread, my excitement has grown.[/QUOTE]

Haha yes, same here. On Comic-con I thought I would be skipping this game, but after watching some previews, and youtube vids, it made me want to get it now!
HYPE HYPE HYPE!

You're welcome everyone. I want to clarify these aren't my vids. Just found them looking for Borderlands stuff.

On that note here is 2 more! They are from the same person as the other vids, so just keep an eye on his youtube profile if you want to possibly see more, assuming he will post more.

[youtube]GMWiM6QWZHw[/youtube]

[youtube]W-q5gIZ-HK0[/youtube]

Arghh.. I'm at work and Youtube is blocked here. I'll have to check them out when I get home. I know several ways to get around the block, but I'm being a good employee (other than surfing CAG from work ;P ).

2 more.

[youtube]gWJXGrFgFrw[/youtube]

I think these are starting to get into spoiler territory now, so watch at your own risk as this one contains one of the first boss battles.

Also as of this posting it is still processing to youtube so the quality will improve once it finishes.

[youtube]YauKEFR7Dyo[/youtube]

**EDIT** Adding a driving vid

[youtube]eM-ukkCVKiU[/youtube]

I have to wonder if this is only me, but does anyone else think that a team of 4 Rolands is going to be the best option?

I mean, if they all have sentries that can heal and restore ammo, they'd be unstoppable. Not to mention shooting that heals.

[quote name='Lokki']Yes, it's killing me. A couple of months ago, I was only mildly excited for this game. As time has went by and thanks to all of the links in this thread, my excitement has grown.[/QUOTE]
Same- it went from low-on-radar to high-priority for me. It's one of the few I'm really looking forward to this year.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I have to wonder if this is only me, but does anyone else think that a team of 4 Rolands is going to be the best option?

I mean, if they all have sentries that can heal and restore ammo, they'd be unstoppable. Not to mention shooting that heals.[/QUOTE]

To me it seems slow as hell for everyone to be back behind turrets shooting then waiting to heal and ammo up, rinse repeat.

Then again I just hate feeling like I HAVE to sit in a certain spot to get the most of my money so to speak.

Roland sounds like the most fun for me to play as I like being a healer. But he'll also be the most common character, so I might need to pick someone else initially.

Damn TLPRIME, you're overloading us!

I'll probably go Mordecai or Roland first time through. But I know I'll eventually play all of them.

I've decided....no more gameplay vids for me until the game comes out! I've already watched too many gameplay videos and read waaaay too much about this game that nothing is going to be a surprise to me when it comes out. I want that awesome "first time playing through a really awesome game" feel where you don't know what's coming next. Only 1 week and 4 days to go...

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Damn TLPRIME, you're overloading us!

I'll probably go Mordecai or Roland first time through. But I know I'll eventually play all of them.

I've decided....no more gameplay vids for me until the game comes out! I've already watched too many gameplay videos and read waaaay too much about this game that nothing is going to be a surprise to me when it comes out. I want that awesome "first time playing through a really awesome game" feel where you don't know what's coming next. Only 1 week and 4 days to go...[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I'm done too till the game comes out. Just wanted to share what I had found with my fellow Cags!

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I don't mean to thread crap or be a jerk or any of that, but can someone explain to me the appeal of Roland? It's Usually the class that deals crap tons of damage that get the majority vote, but for Borderlands it's the support guy. I just don't get it. . .[/QUOTE]

Roland's just the most normal, all-around FPS guy. Plus it's easy to see how his support function will be vital in multiplayer games.

I think Brick will be the least played due to his close-range nature. But that could add some fun variety down the line.

Duke, are you going to add me to the 360 and PC lists? :)

If anyone needs another person to go in on the 4-pack I'd be more than willing to paypal them my share, please PM me if you're interested...

I've been watching a livestream of Borderlands all night and all I can say is that it looks orgasmic. Two of the devs are even in the chat and it's made my hype meter jump from interested to "MUUUUSSSTTTTT BUUUYYYY"

I have a question about how the gun proficiency leveling up is going to work.

So, there's 10 levels, I know that much, but do you get to choose what bonus your gun gets, for instance, if there's any way you could choose to increase the amount of ammo your gun is going to hold over having less recoil, or something? Or does it level up all of your attributes across the board each time your gun levels up?

bread's done
Back