Bravely Default - Out now in stores and on the eShop! (Demo available)

downloaded the demo friday, and played it most of sunday. just received my copy in the mail, and can't wait to play it this weekend. nice to see the jrpg coming back, first ni no kuni, and now this. anyone know how to add friends, haven't googled it yet, but ill definitely add people once i start playing.
Friend people to your 3DS. Which is the orange square smiley face on the Home Menu. They need to friend you back of course as well, which is why friending random people doesn't work unless you communicate it back to them and they add you as well.

After that, they need to somewhat regularly send commands off for them to update on your side. WIthout it, you're using old Abilinks and old Summon Friend (which can only be used once per send from a person).

So only people you actually Streetpass and add as friends will you be able to ablink with?

I only have 3 of those and since my one friend is so far away I use his skills.

Figured it out, just had to hit add friend via internet to refresh my friends list, thanks for the info mate!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So only people you actually Streetpass and add as friends will you be able to ablink with?

I only have 3 of those and since my one friend is so far away I use his skills.
That and the random bots you get out of pity from the save guys.

Abilink is pretty overpowered if you're friended with someone who's gone through most of the game or maxed out their jobs. Of course that's only for one character and you'd have to link the other three to three other people.

I need to edit my post earlier about the whole friend thing. Had a couple of wrong bits of info that need fixing in it.

seems like the multiplayer thing is just a minor part of it on the demo.  i have plenty of patience and time, so multiple people isn't much of an issue.

are you talking about villager or the friends character part?

for demo, I think they don't allow internet friend thus I only received 1 character that I could use.

for villager, use the trick to get 20. they do give you gifts that's nice. in the full game, there are special moves that you can use for something really powerful. neat to send these move to others.  like if I just use normal hit ability, it hits maybe 300, with special and send it to ppl, it does like over 1k hit, may help ppl just when they needed some fire and anti flying assist etc.

I haven't had this much fun with a game since Ni No Kuni.  The town building and  job leveling feeds right into my obsession with grinding - my 3DS has been on for 96 hours straight including sleep mode!

Only about 1-2 hours into the game but enjoying it so far :D Glad you can change the character on screen too!

The only thing that bugs me at the moment is you're limited to 20 Internet friends, and every time you update via the Adventurer guy, it'll bump you over 20 and you have to go through and remove people until you get down to 20 :\ Because of the Spreadsheet, I'm getting 40+ friends per update that I have to remove lol

Also, I thought Internet Friends would add to your villagers as well.. but it doesn't appear to. I just have the 20 from the demo + the 5 the adventurer gave me. Anyone able to get their friends to contribute villagers?

I haven't had this much fun with a game since Ni No Kuni. The town building and job leveling feeds right into my obsession with grinding - my 3DS has been on for 96 hours straight including sleep mode!
While I am not a huge grinder RPG fan level wise, the whole town thing I sadly enjoy. I am seriously loving this game. Ni No Kuni was really the last game I can safely say I put over 50 hours in and haven't even thought about it because I loved it so much. This is looking to be the same way.

While I am still on Chapter 1, I plan to play a few hours tonight.

Im building multiple parts while I work. Ive got a long ass day do everything has been spread to 7 or 8 parts so they around 12hrs.

I sleep it when I'm not playing.

This game is so awesome. Reminds me so much of old school final fantasy.

While I am not a huge grinder RPG fan level wise, the whole town thing I sadly enjoy. I am seriously loving this game. Ni No Kuni was really the last game I can safely say I put over 50 hours in and haven't even thought about it because I loved it so much. This is looking to be the same way.

While I am still on Chapter 1, I plan to play a few hours tonight.
that, and the fact that you can play it anywhere, so you can waste wasted time.

I just started chapter one but am going nuts grinding. My guys are level 22 and climbing. I'm not a huge fan of grinding, but the 100% encounter rate with auto attacks makes grinding while watching TV a non issue. I'm going to advance the story once I hit 25.

Quick question though! Are some jobs hidden? Or are they given to you after story encounters? Do I have to dig through dungeons not related to the main story to get more jobs?

I just started chapter one but am going nuts grinding. My guys are level 22 and climbing. I'm not a huge fan of grinding, but the 100% encounter rate with auto attacks makes grinding while watching TV a non issue. I'm going to advance the story once I hit 25.

Quick question though! Are some jobs hidden? Or are they given to you after story encounters? Do I have to dig through dungeons not related to the main story to get more jobs?
You will get jobs throughout the main story and also from sidequests marked with blue icons on the map.

Will the village in the game have more locations later on? It seems that I'm flying through the building process. I do see that there is a job that requires 99 hours to complete though, so that could take a bit even with a lot of villagers.

99 Hour jobs are not that hard. I have 30 villagers and they finished that job overtime in like 8 hours or so depending on how many you add.

Its good to unlock the special moves ones to as they help your special move because if you know your bosses weakness and do random battles until you meet the conditions, it makes bosses easier.

I just got the Valkryie and that was a crazy battle.

Next up is the Red Mage.

99 Hour jobs are not that hard. I have 30 villagers and they finished that job overtime in like 8 hours or so depending on how many you add.

Its good to unlock the special moves ones to as they help your special move because if you know your bosses weakness and do random battles until you meet the conditions, it makes bosses easier.

I just got the Valkryie and that was a crazy battle.

Next up is the Red Mage.
Does the village ever add new jobs/building for you to work on later on, or are all of the jobs/buildings shown from the very beginning? I can see there are a decent amount of things to build/work on in the beginning, but just curious if more options come along down the road.

That I do not know. Some of my buidings are at 10 and can go to 11 and it does not look like there are any more.
But I will keep you posted.

For more jobs, always follow the Blue quest icons. Those open up other jobs by beating a boss with that Job Class.
Chapter one 
its Thief, Merchant and Time Mage.

Chapter two 
So far its Red Mage and Valkyrie.

That I do not know. Some of my buidings are at 10 and can go to 11 and it does not look like there are any more.
But I will keep you posted.

For more jobs, always follow the Blue quest icons. Those open up other jobs by beating a boss with that Job Class.
Chapter one
its Thief, Merchant and Time Mage.

Chapter two
So far its Red Mage and Valkyrie.
Thanks! There most likely won't be any addition of more shops to upgrade then. Seems like the level of the shops can go higher than I first thought though! Looking forward to playing some more BD on this snowy day when I get home from work.

Shops only go up to level 11 in your village. If you play through games slowly, then you'll likely have more than enough time to finish it prior to beating the game so long as you're updating data daily. If you didn't start with a good amount of villagers from the demo and go through games pretty quickly, then you probably won't finish the village prior to beating the game.

I have 3 more jobs to acquire. The 23rd job is going to be a pain in the ass it looks like. I haven't come across the final job though.

Also, this new Nemesis is level 70. Gah. I wonder how I'd fare with my current party right now.

with 40 some villagers, I already max out the weapon/armor/item/access shops, all othera between 7-9

ya someone sent me a lvl 70 nemesis but I got a lvl 99...

IMAG0856.jpg

Anyone have the nemesis mammon in their village? You can send them over via updates right? Read somewhere
about unlimitedly milking them for elixirs (sold for money in shops)

Just got to Chapter 4.  Really nice grindan spot right at the beginning outside the first new town.  Put null confuse on your physical attackers, put fire magic on your magic users and autobattle. :lol:  Best JP gains are with the daytime monsters, the night ones won't give as much.  Went from 9->11 on a few jobs in like 20 minutes. :lol:

I think I overleveled a bit in game, just too easy to if one can't resist the modern convenience features. one hand control/auto/speed/brave/encounter rate makes  leveling while watching tv etc a bit too easy.  it is an user issue tho, I really appreciate the design.

Just got to Chapter 4. Really nice grindan spot right at the beginning outside the first new town. Put null confuse on your physical attackers, put fire magic on your magic users and autobattle. :lol: Best JP gains are with the daytime monsters, the night ones won't give as much. Went from 9->11 on a few jobs in like 20 minutes. :lol:
Yeah, that's a great spot. Best way to grind is to stack this on people in my opinion:

Two-Handed (Knight Lv2) - If Weapon Lore isn't a bow and completely optional if you prefer to dual-wield

Weapon Lore - Some kind of damage weapon type so you don't need to change it when changing classes

JP Up (Freelancer Lv10)

+DPS Stacks (Monk 10% / Pirate 20%) - Filler

Then have a secondary class of Acrobatics (Valkyrie) & throw on Gale accessories for first strike chance increase. Unless you have the Double JP accessories.

Once in battle brave once and everybody use Crescent Moon on both those turns. Occasionally watch for mass poison (or make yourself immune from the Freelancer support ability) and the occasional first strike.

Had to turn off EXP gain while doing this eventually because it's pretty absurd. Brought all 22 jobs up to level 10 minimum and have like 1.5 million pg now.

ya someone sent me a lvl 70 nemesis but I got a lvl 99...
I have a level 50 one from some Japanese guy. However the 70 one was given by Square Enix.

So how can I be a good gaming citizen in this spotpass community here? Do I need to send an attack out every day for it to be used by others? Also, do I need to send out a nemesis every day?

I want that level 25 Mammon that carries an elixir in my village badly!

I want that level 25 Mammon that carries an elixir in my village badly!
Same here man! Same here! Hehe!

I usually send out specials every once in a while. Kinda sucks that you can only send out one at a time since when i do boss battles i tend to unleash specials for all 4 characters if possible.

playing this game, it's fun!

but so much to learn about these social features >_<

so confusing~
I'll try and break it down since I didn't re-edit my post earlier that explained it (albeit I was wrong in some parts).

Add Friends

• Use this to bring new friends from your 3DS friends list into the game that have the game and have reached the the part of the tutorial that sends an attack.
  • Does not seem to update Friend data, just create the initial friend data the first time.

Update Data

• Use this to update friends Abilink data as well as download any new one-time use attacks they have sent from their last upload. This may be tied directly to the time when they sent the battle communication concerning Abilink data.
  • Use this to pull 3 (to 5?) random 'guests' from across the world into your game to use in battle.
    This also can pull over linked Nemesis from these players during any 'new' Nemesis time frame (New ones appear every 3 days or so)

[*]Use this to recruit 3 to 5 new villagers for Norende Village for up to 999 total villagers. This can be done once a day, which resets at 12AM Tokyo Time. This translates to 7AM PST / 8AM MST / 9AM CST / 10AM EST
[*]This may be how it updates your latest attack information to the internet that you saved during battle as well your Abilink data for friends to use.

Abilink

• Attach a character to a friend you have pulled in to your game. This unlocks job levels based on the friend you link to so you can use abilities that you would normally not have available until you leveled that job.

Send Communication (Battle)

• Saves a move to send it to your friends or the few random internet people that retrieve it at random. You can only have one move to send at any one time and the one your perform overwrites your last one.
  • I *think* this updates to friends after you hit 'Update Data' under the Save Menu to where they can grab it, so it requires a second action on your part. (I'm not sure on this one)
  • It is not worth sending more than one per battle or else you will end up having one you may not want sent between the two and you can't pick and choose.

Street Pass

• Adds a friend (or guest? Not sure which) that you can use in battle like you can with friends and your daily 3 internet guests.
  • Adds 1 villager into Norende for every person you street pass that has this game.

Nemesis

• Updates with the 'Update Data' every 3 days. You receive one from Square Enix (SQEX) and then three others from the random internet guests those I believe.
  • Street Pass may also give you more Nemesis if they are set to send out.
  • Beasts you fight in Norende that give various useful items, including stat boosting items.

Edit: Completely missed the explanation of nemeses, but I did some reading. Completely disregard this post as I am a complete retard.  :dunce: 

So I just received a nemesis that recommends I be level 70 to fight it. Does anything bad happen if I don't kill the nemesis? Because obviously me being lvl 13 I can't take that guy on. Do they ever go away if I don't kill it?

So question. Does anyone have any resources on team builds? Just started chapter 2 and got the
Spell Thief and Time Mage
and I am trying to figure out good team builds for now and later on or is it just try and experiment?

Part of the fun with the jobs available is to 1, + style, and within the confine of fielding a good looking team, try to find one that works well...

who cares if you do 2000 less damage if you had switch out job 1 to job 2 when job1 looks so good?

I'll try and break it down since I didn't re-edit my post earlier that explained it (albeit I was wrong in some parts).
yo you're the man! broke dat shyt down!!

I needa send out a stronger attack lol.

and I cant believe u can get town guests so easily tho! like 3~5 a day randomly.

in the demo, I actually had to go out and get actual streetpasses lol.

and I still will! there's another streetpass party next week!

my town's gonna be poppin yo!

Edit: Completely missed the explanation of nemeses, but I did some reading. Completely disregard this post as I am a complete retard. :dunce:

So I just received a nemesis that recommends I be level 70 to fight it. Does anything bad happen if I don't kill the nemesis? Because obviously me being lvl 13 I can't take that guy on. Do they ever go away if I don't kill it?
You can only have up to 10 (?) if I remember the tutorial correctly. When new ones come in, the oldest ones based on age are purged. However you can "Protect" ones from getting purged by selecting them and hitting "Protect/Unprotect" and it shows a lock symbol next to it. Of course once you defeat it, it's gone as well I believe.

The games help section should cover this better than I could if you don't recall the tutorial.

So question. Does anyone have any resources on team builds? Just started chapter 2 and got the
Spell Thief and Time Mage
and I am trying to figure out good team builds for now and later on or is it just try and experiment?
Honestly, level them up and experiment. When you hit Chapter 4, things begin getting tougher and it also has a good JP leveling spot there as well. Even more so if you've obtained the 2x JP increase accessory.

I don't think I did much experimenting until I hit Chapter 4.

There's a special "Be Mine; White Fox" Nemesis if you hit your Upload Data today. It's level 99 from Square Enix. Just a heads up and since it's Square Enix' Nemesis, it comes in locked to not disappear. However the dates on it show it's only available for today only to retrieve it.

WARNING: There's a slidecage post two replies down that contains spoilers. You may want to ignore this thread until you're to Chapter 5 or later. Maybe even go as far as ignoring slidecage since he still doesn't know how to properly spoiler after all these years on CAG.

Anyone have the nemesis mammon in their village? You can send them over via updates right? Read somewhere
about unlimitedly milking them for elixirs (sold for money in shops)
I was looking forward to farming the crap out of those, but never got one sent to me. Luckily, it turns out in Chapter 5, money isn't much of an issue at all if you don't mind some grinding. With the "more money" ability equipped, the spot I'm currently at in Witherwood nets me about 45k gold, 15k xp and 2k jp per minute. No clue if there are better places, but im capping my jobs quite fast.

Currently have maxed out my level and all jobs, except for the vampire and conjurer(?). Trying to figure out the most damage to send to my friends, currently I'm topped at 33000ish, got any recommendations?

Alright, just got my platinum in Tales of Xillia and I'm starting this tonight. I'm going to try to play it without using any guides/FAQs/etc and see what happens ;).

Currently have maxed out my level and all jobs, except for the vampire and conjurer(?). Trying to figure out the most damage to send to my friends, currently I'm topped at 33000ish, got any recommendations?
You can add me!

FC below.

Wooooowwww.  I just unlocked the Conjurer class and Level 9 of the job gets you a support ability of "obliterate" which instantly kills all enemies that are 20+ levels below you.  Needless to say, my grinding has gotten super fast now that I dont have to go through the motions of cycling Aspir & Firaga to kill the enemies in 1 turn.

Sorry I haven't checked in, been sleeping and playing. I'm at ch.2 and have been leveling monk, white mage, blm, and knight.

In the flower town, there's a blue quest I can't figure out. Any ideas?

Wooooowwww. I just unlocked the Conjurer class and Level 9 of the job gets you a support ability of "obliterate" which instantly kills all enemies that are 20+ levels below you. Needless to say, my grinding has gotten super fast now that I dont have to go through the motions of cycling Aspir & Firaga to kill the enemies in 1 turn.
I'm almost at the point where you get that class. Wooo!

Sorry I haven't checked in, been sleeping and playing. I'm at ch.2 and have been leveling monk, white mage, blm, and knight.

In the flower town, there's a blue quest I can't figure out. Any ideas?
I think that's the one you have to come back at night. I don't tend to remember these things so I don't remember much of chap2.

picked up
ranger and valkrie. Can't say I like the outfit for ranger.

There's a blue bubble near the forest that is bugging me. I walk there and it doesn't trigger anything.

bread's done
Back