Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='wowimsocute']i have no idea when that was discussed or who he is, but TiredForNow=TFN? apologies if i missed the inside joke.[/quote]

Yeah...it is. I was just trying to be funny.

[quote name='RudyPants']Would people be interested in a Burnout Clan? I can start something up if nothing has been put in place so it would be easier to find games. Let me know if anyone is interested.[/quote]I would be interested.

Here's some news on the upcoming DLC:

Criterion's Alex Ward hopped on the forums to tell everyone that all upcoming Paradise DLC will be bridges that lead off of Paradise City into new DLC worlds and experiences. This of course is a great way to not divide the community, because anyone who doesn't have the DLC simply cannot cross the bridge and instead will remain in Paradise City. Genius! Criterion also dangled a carrot in front of our noses by giving us a video of a new vehicle, The Dust Storm, that'll be included in the next DLC batch. Yummy!

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03/08/burnout-paradise-dust-storm-dlc-and-bridges-too/

Here you can see footage of the new car and one of the bridges. According to the info posted at the Criterion Forums, this is "the first in a series of islands adding to Paradise City, each offering a different type of gameplay".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcrprEQwSpE

That's awesome and I think that's a great way to go about DLC. I just got an Burnout email and it didn't say anything about this. Thanks for the info, I'll be spending more money on this game, woooo!^^

Awesome news. I just got Burnout yesterday, maybe in a month or two when I have most of teh city and I'm ready for more they'll have this out.

Also, if anyone wants to join up and do some CAG challeneges together just let me know. I'm on most evenings.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Awesome news. I just got Burnout yesterday, maybe in a month or two when I have most of teh city and I'm ready for more they'll have this out.

Also, if anyone wants to join up and do some CAG challeneges together just let me know. I'm on most evenings.[/quote]

Add CAG Burnout to your friends list if you're interested in joining the clan.

[quote name='RudyPants']Add CAG Burnout to your friends list if you're interested in joining the clan.[/quote]Just saw that post and added it. Thanks.

Islands DLC will be free:
Fantastic news for Burnout Paradise fans who were looking forward to the upcoming "Islands" downloadable content. We just learned that the content is going to be offered for free! Criterion's own Alex Ward jumped onto their official forums to confirm that the upcoming Island DLC will be a free download and will add new locations as well as new vehicles to the mix. But don't get used to receiving free Burnout Paradise DLC, as Ward make it clear that other DLC releases in the future will be paid content. No worries now though, because we have free DLC headed our way, new vehicles to crash and new bridges to burn.
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03/14/burnout-paradise-islands-dlc-will-be-free/

That is awesome, hats off to Criterion. I think the first of many DLC should be free to rope you in for the paid stuff later on lol.

Even better news. From the sound of things I think Criterion are really going to change up the cameplay on the islands. What that means I don't know but they seam pretty excited about it. And at the cast of free who can complain?

Also, who's up from some Burnout this weekend? I have had no time online manily because none of my friends have this game.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Even better news. From the sound of things I think Criterion are really going to change up the cameplay on the islands. What that means I don't know but they seam pretty excited about it. And at the cast of free who can complain?

Also, who's up from some Burnout this weekend? I have had no time online manily because none of my friends have this game.[/quote]

If you see me online, send me an invite. I really need to compete some more online challenges. If you're not on the CAG Burnout clan, send an invite and we'll give it a go.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']I have found 199 of the 200 events....WHERE ARE YOU 200?!?!?!?[/quote]

I'm in the same boat, I have 198 out of 200 events.

can't wait for the DLC! Also, if anyone sees me on, don't hesitate to send me a friend request/invite, I'd be happy to play some burnout. I'm part of the burnout CAG group.

I just sent an invite to CAG Burnout. I haven't played the game in a couple weeks and need to get back into it. I played it non-stop for like 2 weeks when I first got it. Great game!!!

I've got this on PS3... found all the events, billboards, gates, etc - do you guys think it's worth getting it on 360 and starting over? Do the achievements add much to the game?

I still got this game from gamefly hit me up if u wanna race or just add me for gp i wanna try and get all the online achivements

[quote name='javeryh']I know it's only been like 6 weeks but I need this to come down to $30!!![/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for it to hit $39.XX as well. Don't think it will go down ot $29.XX that quick.

[quote name='javeryh']I know it's only been like 6 weeks but I need this to come down to $30!!![/QUOTE]

Same here. But I have more free rentals for March that I need to use soon so maybe I'll snag this again and try to get more of the online stuff done. I'll certainly rent it again when the free DLC comes out!

[quote name='PleasantOne']I've got this on PS3... found all the events, billboards, gates, etc - do you guys think it's worth getting it on 360 and starting over? Do the achievements add much to the game?[/QUOTE]
Is this a joke? The PS3 version also has achievements. Hell, it has more achievements.

Just accepted all friend requests for the CAG Burnout clan. If anybody wants to organize some kind of game night (either regularly or whatever), feel free to spam those on the list.

I'm in the middle of a big move right now so I haven't been able to host many games lately.

[quote name='javeryh']I know it's only been like 6 weeks but I need this to come down to $30!!![/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one still waiting as well. But the game must be doing pretty well for EA to keep it MSRP with nary a sale in sight.

More fun?
I haven't posted here yet but I spent about 30 hours on Burnout Paradise. Since trading it away has been so hard to come by, I'm on the verge of keeping it to finish getting the Elite license and waiting for the DLC.

Going in reverse...
Burnout Paradise was my first Burnout game. I'm not a big racing game fan (excluding Mario Kart) but there seems to be significant discussion on which Burnout style is better so I picked up Burnout Revenge for cheap ($15 shipped). I'm about to get into it and I'm kind of excited.

I'm looking up Burnout Paradise sales and it has sold 1 million copies after counting both platforms. This was only counting US sales. That's not selling badly =/

Anyone else having problems talking in online matches? I tried to play with a group of friends the other night, and had the settings on "Friend/Invite Only". The first person that joined could talk with the host, but anyone else that joined couldn't talk at all, and could only hear the host. We tried having others host the game, but it was the same no matter who hosted. I've played matches with friends before and not had any problems; is this something new? I tried again last night, same problem.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']Anyone else having problems talking in online matches? I tried to play with a group of friends the other night, and had the settings on "Friend/Invite Only". The first person that joined could talk with the host, but anyone else that joined couldn't talk at all, and could only hear the host. We tried having others host the game, but it was the same no matter who hosted. I've played matches with friends before and not had any problems; is this something new? I tried again last night, same problem.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a bug. They're working on that and many other issues in patch 1.2, no release date just yet.

[quote name='PleasantOne']I've got this on PS3... found all the events, billboards, gates, etc - do you guys think it's worth getting it on 360 and starting over? Do the achievements add much to the game?[/QUOTE]

I've got both the 360 and PS3 versions. So here's my input.

The 360 achievements don't add much to the game. Most of them are standard gameplay points. Get your license, win a race, smash all the billboards, etc. There's a couple things you might not normally do like 20x boost chain, 1M stunt run, 10x showtme, etc. So that's fun and adds a little extra challenge. But I'm not sure it's worth buying the game again just for the 360 achievements. Here's the achievement list:

http://www.achieve360points.com/game/burnoutparadise/

A major difference in PS3 vs 360 is the online experience. I find that more people on the 360 have cameras and headsets. So you get more photos and it's fun to talk to people while you're driving from one side of town to the other.

Another thing I've noticed is that the PS3 version runs much more smoothly. I get some slowdown from time to time on the 360. Usually it happens in the downtown area. The game seems to pause for a fraction of a second. It's kinda annoying. I don't get any slowdown on the PS3 version. Apparently, this is going to be fixed in the upcoming patch.

http://www.criteriongames.com/burnout/paradise/press/features/patch1_2/

The achievements did add something for me. I wouldn't be planning on playing more Paradise otherwise. Elite license is 70 points eh...

rented it from gamefly, put in about 5 hours already, i dunno...i wish there was just normal race mode with a set track, im starting to get annoyed and tired of the open ended streets and the confusing turns i have to do all of a sudden, switching cars is way annoying too. enjoying it somewhat.

[quote name='RudyPants']Just accepted all friend requests for the CAG Burnout clan. If anybody wants to organize some kind of game night (either regularly or whatever), feel free to spam those on the list.

I'm in the middle of a big move right now so I haven't been able to host many games lately.[/quote]

Nobody invited me to join burnout =( and im on that game 24/7
/sobs

Anywho anyone notice that if u go into a Freeburn online that some people if not all can't use there mics?

Yea the mic problem has been around for a while now and I'm surprised it's not fixed yet. I haven't played the game in a while but I should get on late EST time sometime and do some challenges/races.

I tried to get some CAGs together on Sunday to play, but as soon as I did the fiance got home and we went out for dinner ... if anybody wants to play send an invite to CAG Burnout and I'll try to spam people on occasion when I'm on.

Haven't played in a while so I popped in the disc last night (I'm 50 wins from Elite now) and I ended up playing all through the night and well into the morning. I finally got Burnout Skills, the achievement for being top 6 out of 8 for longest oncoming, drifts, burnouts (easy with the carbon hawker), barrel rolls (I finally did 3), that sort of thing. After that we were all setting time records or score records (I was doing time ones) on all the roads and I was just in the zone.

What really pissed me off though was at the end the host started a challenge to meet up at the Baseball stadium, yea who hasn't done that yet, and he continued to drive around the highway as everyone was driving circles in the stadium. I hate it when not everyone is going to do the challenge (ex: everyone has to line up at the beach while one drives over the ramp over them, couple of people kept getting takedowns instead of just parking their damn car under the ramp) and it just waste your time, anyone up for some online challenges, hit me up. I need a lot more of them.

Where is out DLC? With all the talk about it last month I was under the impression it was almost done, but now I'm starting to think it will be a while before we see it.

i hope we see it soon, ive put the game down for now with about 68 races to go for my elite so i could finish a few other games.

Haven't played in a while so I popped in the disc last night (I'm 50 wins from Elite now) and I ended up playing all through the night and well into the morning. I finally got Burnout Skills, the achievement for being top 6 out of 8 for longest oncoming, drifts, burnouts (easy with the carbon hawker), barrel rolls (I finally did 3), that sort of thing. After that we were all setting time records or score records (I was doing time ones) on all the roads and I was just in the zone.

What really pissed me off though was at the end the host started a challenge to meet up at the Baseball stadium, yea who hasn't done that yet, and he continued to drive around the highway as everyone was driving circles in the stadium. I hate it when not everyone is going to do the challenge (ex: everyone has to line up at the beach while one drives over the ramp over them, couple of people kept getting takedowns instead of just parking their damn car under the ramp) and it just waste your time, anyone up for some online challenges, hit me up. I need a lot more of them.

Where is out DLC? With all the talk about it last month I was under the impression it was almost done, but now I'm starting to think it will be a while before we see it.

i hope we see it soon, ive put the game down for now with about 68 races to go for my elite so i could finish a few other games.

Despite my demo impressions, I finally did get this game. I'm not ready to recant my opinions - I still say a menu would have been better, the turn indicator should have been a lot more apparent, and the gameplay in general is a little too... casual(?). But I am enjoying it. Driving around the open city is fun, much more so than it was in the extremely limited demo.

I don't suppose many people are still on this, but I'm sending an invite to CAG Burnout. Invite me if you see me.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Where is out DLC? With all the talk about it last month I was under the impression it was almost done, but now I'm starting to think it will be a while before we see it.[/quote]
It's not out yet, but Criterion's posted some teasers on it on their new site. They have an update, called Bogart, coming later this month though.

New Multiplayer modes coming soon after the 1.3v patch. The Update is Call Cagney, source

Three new FreeBurn game modes unveiled for the Cagney Update!!!

We've got 3 brand new FreeBurn game modes in the final phase of testing here at Criterion.

We'll be ready to bring these to you guys as part of our Cagney software update, but in the meantime, we've got all the detail you need on the first new gameplay since Paradise hit the shelves back in January.

Here's how they work:

Just hit the Easydrive menu, set up a Freeburn Game Mode then fire off Online Stunt Run, Marked Man or Road Rage – obviously there's no loading!

Online Stunt Run

• This is 8-player simultaneous online Stunt Run – everyone competes for the highest score within the 2 minute time limit and you can play anywhere in Paradise City.
• An on-screen display shows all player scores, so you can easily see how you're doing.
• Earn multipliers for taking each other out but you lose your combo score, if you're taken down.
• Eliminated players are greyed out of the scoring area but can exact brutal revenge by chasing after players that have managed to keep their combos alive beyond the time-out.
• For the first time, you can drive alongside someone as they complete a billion score in Stunt Run - you can absolutely use this mode to try and show off to your friends.

Online Road Rage

• This is an 8-player online team event.
• At the start, everyone chooses their team (red or blue).
• One team of "runners" has to drive to a checkpoint then the finish – they can only see one checkpoint ahead.
• The other team has to take them down. These guys can see the checkpoint and finish and choose whether to wait and ambush in key locations, shortcut to the action if they get left behind or just follow the pack and cause chaos.

Online Marked Man

• We randomly choose a "Marked Man".
• There's an intense few moments, while all players wait for the selection to be made – you want to stay close to other players, so you can hit the Marked Man, as soon as he's selected but far enough away that that you can run like hell if it's you that's the Marked Man.
• The target is selected and a 90 second timer starts – you get 1 point if you survive and 1 point if you take down the Marked Man. After 90 seconds a new Marked Man is selected at random.
• If you're the Marked Man, you can't see the attacking players on the map, your car is a little slower and you don't get boost.
• The session usually consists of around 10-12 minutes of intense gameplay depending on the number of players involved.

And this is just the start – we aim to bring you many new Freeburn game modes covering different themes and play styles.

Over the next 12 months, we're going to transform the Burnout Paradise you know and love into the Burnout Paradise you only ever dreamed of!

oh snap, those modes are awesome! I think we've all been doing online stunt mode when doing stunt challenges but online road rage should be a blast.

bread's done
Back