Burnout Paradise - General Discussion & Info / TROPHY HUNTERS WELCOME!

Thomas96

CAGiversary!
How was the Burnout Paradise demo, did you enjoy it? Is it a day one purchase?
If you played both the 360 and PS3 Demo(s) which one did you enjoy most.
Since I got both systems, I might ive both a whirl and see if another PS3 game is inferior to the 360 version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Next online event TBA [in celebration of TMK's Birthday via Warhawk!]

Update: Date set for Every Thrusday @ 10pm EST.

MyParadise:
http://www.criteriongames.com/burnout/paradise/myparadise/

Don't forget you can still upload your files and get help with finding Jumps, and Burnout signs on your map:
http://www.burnoutteamrocks.com/

[Please note that you do not have to fear wasting time completing Burnout Paradise tasks at this time, before the trophy patch comes out; News sources are reporting that the trophies for Burnout Paradise will be retroactive.

Those of you who haven't had a chance to purchase Burnout and take part of our Weekly CAG Burnout Nights, please remember the game has hit the Greatest Hits price of 29.99. [http://video-games.pricegrabber.com...search=burnout paradise/st=product/sv=title/]
There's custom soundtracks available, and trophies are soon to come along with more vehicles, and additional island(s).

Unlockable car codes, and list of specific tasks to complete to unlock licenses, additional cars, and paint schemes available here - http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/code/935291.html

Reminder, this game is now 19.99, with tons of FREE content, and it has trophies implemented. If you want a good racing game, with custom soundtracks, and trophies, then Burnout Paradise is your game!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was supposedly designed on the PS3 so I'd imagine it's a little better graphically and possibly framerate. I can't imagine the online experience being anywhere near as good though if it's not seamless (maybe it is - I don't know).

Didn't get that much time in with it because UT3 kept calling me but I definitely enjoyed it. For some reason i was having trouble finding secrets before I passed them. Could be that I was a little inebriated and it's easier stone sober. I don't have any ps3 friends so I didn't get to try out multiplayer though the description of it seemed like it could be a lot of fun. I'll play the demo some more this weekend but right now it's looking like I'm going to wait for it to be $35 or so before I pick it up.

As to the comparisons between systems. I saw something earlier today that said the PS3 version looks shinier but the 360 has rumble (obviously). Nothing too shocking there.

I liked the multiplayer aspect of it. Managed to play with ManaKnight and some other random folk for a good 30 minutes or so. Had a blast trying to kill each other and topping each of our top jumps, air time, etc.

Will definitely pick this up when it is released on January 22nd... sucks though that the date coincides with the first day of Spring semester :cry:

http://www.ps3attitude.com/2007/12/more-to-come-from-burnout-paradise-demo.html

"In what could be seen as a trend (and a very welcome one at that), Burnout Paradise is another demo that will feature additional content as we get closer to the January launch date.

In a similar vein, Burnout Paradise will feature new challenges and races as time moves closer to launch date.

A great incentive to leave the demo on your hard drive and keep coming back to it to see what's new.

To keep a check on what is coming, just hit the right button and choose 'news' from the menu anywhere in the game."

I wasn't impressed. The open world aspect is quite meh and I wish it didn't have it. Not a day 1 purchase for me, I'm sure I'll find something more worthy to buy.

Getting online worked great though, but was boring since I didn't really know if you could actually race and stuff.

I had fun messing around in the demo for about an hour.. there were a couple of jumps I had a hard time making (the small ones you are suppose to go then break right before you hit the ramp and roll sideways)
Overall the game is pretty fun, I will buy it, not sure if day one or not.. I tried playing in sixasis mode and not very responsive so I went back to "regular" mode.

I tried one of the online modes, and it worked for about 2 minutes then my PS3 froze.. first time it ever happend as I never played online before or if it was the demo or whatever. I'll gice it a go some more this weekend. Add me to your friends list if you want. :)

[quote name='Thomas96']If they could just put a dodge charger in the game... I'd be straight.[/quote]

So you're gay?? LOL....just kidding couldn't resist.....

The demo was great I thought!!

[quote name='lbradeen']As to the comparisons between systems. I saw something earlier today that said the PS3 version looks shinier but the 360 has rumble (obviously). Nothing too shocking there.[/QUOTE]

i have rumble. :D
it's fun but i get bored with burnout games quickly.
also too many ingame ads. no purchase for me.

This game needs in game soundtracks. The fact that the PSN bowling game has ingame music, lets me know that EA needs to include that for the ps3 version. Or at least add a component that allows you to add music to game's set of music. But I think I might get this day one. I've never been a big fan of burnout, but I like the open world. The portion of the city reminds me of Need for Speed Underground.. but in the daytime. I hope there's real time day and night changes.

The method in inviting friends to join your game is a bit cumbersome. The 4 player maximum is always filled up as soon as you create a game so friends trying to get in will have to wait for someone to drop out. You'll need to set up the game to "Friends Only" or "Invite Only" so random people don't get in your game. Hopefully these kinks will be ironed out.

On that note, I couldn't join Pootie Thang's games because the max number of players were always full. Sorry :cry:

Loved Burnout: Takedown, not impressed by the demo. I went online into a game with 3 other people, but I drove around for a while and never actually saw any of them. So I couldn't interact with anyone, couldn't understand what anyone was saying over their microphone, and couldn't race. Which is pretty much a recipe for boredom. Is it even possible to beat that Stunt challenge? There aren't enough jumps around.

As far as demos goes, this one is fantastic. I was expecting a time limit on this, since it sorta had a sandbox type style to it, but was playing online for a good 15 minutes with no problems.

As for the game itself, the open world style has its pros and cons. It works great for online. I was having a lot of fun just trying to 'takedown' the other cars. I didn't really play enough to see what sorta modes were available. I'm guessing everything is just set up through the world, so, if you want to race someone, you've got to do it within the city, without being moved to an official track with a start and stop point. I'm hoping the game still has a crash mode, as that was one of my favorite points of the older games. I'm also glad car checking is gone (one of the later burnouts of last gen had it, where you hit a car going the same way as you from behind and it just shoves the car away, instead of you crashing and burning). Anyway, I was never really into the series that much, but I MAY pick this one up on the cheap. Seems like a fun pick up and play game, but nothing beyond that.

[quote name='knightsdwn']The method in inviting friends to join your game is a bit cumbersome. The 4 player maximum is always filled up as soon as you create a game so friends trying to get in will have to wait for someone to drop out. You'll need to set up the game to "Friends Only" or "Invite Only" so random people don't get in your game. Hopefully these kinks will be ironed out.

On that note, I couldn't join Pootie Thang's games because the max number of players were always full. Sorry :cry:[/QUOTE]

I realized you can kick people if you're the host of the game which is cool. I ended up playing with my brother for an hour last night

[quote name='pete5883']Loved Burnout: Takedown, not impressed by the demo. I went online into a game with 3 other people, but I drove around for a while and never actually saw any of them. So I couldn't interact with anyone, couldn't understand what anyone was saying over their microphone, and couldn't race. Which is pretty much a recipe for boredom. Is it even possible to beat that Stunt challenge? There aren't enough jumps around.[/QUOTE]

It took me a bit to find the "jump areas"... (I went through some construction zone and found quite a few jumps), but I think it's doable once you get to certain areas of the city. The main thoroughfare (for lack of a better name) had few jumps and were spaced quite a ways apart. I couldn't find much of anything to jump around there. Racing was a bit odd... because the DJ would tell you where one was starting up, but usually, I wasn't near there and didn't get to the race in time. Though, at a red light, you could race other people by doing a power-brake burnout, I think. I didn't try that though. Even with the restricted movement of the demo, the game's world is very big (or at least it seemed so) so I can see where people would get lost trying to find each other in an online contest. (I'm sure there's an easier way... but I imagine it'll take time to learn the city first.)

I was initially cool to the idea of a giant sandbox, mainly because I liked the "race" modes of the previous Burnout. You didn't travel anywhere, which streamlined the racing, but at the same time, you spent many races going back through to get a feel for the particular track (at least early on), which could get too repetitive for some people. In this large cityscape, though, you can practice, find secret routes, do some stunts, and generally get an edge on the competition if you want _before_ you race. I think that'll make Burnout have much more engaging gameplay than previous versions. The open-endedness of the game will make it seem less repetitive too.

I really enjoyed the more realistic crashing in Paradise as well. I didn't think I would the first couple of times I smacked the rear-end of another car and totaled mine, but strategic swiping and nudging of cars got very addicting while moving about the city. It added a new dimension to wrecking that you didn't get in the last one. Not to mention the cars looked so neat as you began to demolish them.

Played the demo for about 2 hours total so far, greatly enjoy the aspect of an entire city to race through with or without goals. I did notice that the online mode does seem to have a ghost bug in it where every now and then someone would join the game but not actually appear on the map or onscreen, but they could still wreck you.

So far the thing that wowed me the most was the 'Hot Tin Roof' jump from the parking garage to warehouse roof. If there's hidden little jumps and tricks like this scattered throughout the game, I'll be happy.

I felt lost and couldn't read much on my SDTV. Hopefully I will be able to make the jump into HD. The driving was good and the chameleon paint was sweet. I am going to with hold judgement before giving it a chance to sink in.

[quote name='Kendal']I felt lost and couldn't read much on my SDTV. Hopefully I will be able to make the jump into HD. The driving was good and the chameleon paint was sweet. I am going to with hold judgement before giving it a chance to sink in.[/quote]

Yeah me too, couldn't read a thing on my t.v. I take it this isn't a problem with an HDTV? I'll have to rent the game when it comes out because I really wasn't into the demo, but I'm going to play it again to see if I can change my mind.

[quote name='Blackout542'] I take it this isn't a problem with an HDTV? [/quote]

It's crystal clear on my HD monitor and HDTV. Cars are a little bit to shiny though...

I for one dont like being thrown into things especially given the fact that there are so many games out there to jump from that when i get into a title that doesnt hand hold me for a bit i get confused.

This game is definitely a day one purchase if you like crashing into shit but might be to open for the casual drive and smash we came to love with previous installments.

From previous I've heard around the web, both PS3 and 360 versions are similar. Of course Development was started on the PS3 and then filtered down to the 360. But I wonder if this game was being developed for the PS3 only... could it have been better. (i.e burnout Paradise with Gran Turismo graphics).

Is there a way to skip the tutorial in the demo?? I wasn't able to join Shini's game (and others before) because I had to sit through it before I could jump online. Kind of drives me crazy since I just want to play.

Not sure if anyone notices, but under account management, every time you sign off, the settings reset to it's okay for EA to send stuff to you, tell others about you, and so on (or whatever they said exactly, but I just tell them no).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Is there a way to skip the tutorial in the demo?? I wasn't able to join Shini's game (and others before) because I had to sit through it before I could jump online. Kind of drives me crazy since I just want to play.[/QUOTE]
To my knowledge, there's no way to skip the tutorial, but I agree, it's frustrating not being able to dive right into the game after reloading the demo. Also annoying with the non-skippable mini tutorials that pop up during the demo too...

Is there any word on whether the final game will have crashbreakers or aftertouch? They may not be quite as useful since there doesn't seem to be as much traffic, but it sure would be awesome trying to detonate your friends.

[quote name='metaly']Is there any word on whether the final game will have crashbreakers or aftertouch? They may not be quite as useful since there doesn't seem to be as much traffic, but it sure would be awesome trying to detonate your friends.[/quote]
I don't believe so. I know Criterion answered the question in one of their last episodes of the CrashFM podcast.

If I remember right, you can turn off those in-game tutorial tips by going to options and turning off Hints. Hit the right directional to get to the menu.

online play is addictive, played for 2 hours online just taking each other down. Whoever is hosting can kick anyone out right?

[quote name='whoknows']I wasn't impressed. The open world aspect is quite meh and I wish it didn't have it. Not a day 1 purchase for me, I'm sure I'll find something more worthy to buy.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. Open worlds are overused and are rarely done well. The driving engine was good and I liked how the crashes were more physics based, but the open world part was so poorly done that I have no interest in buying it, I'll stick with Burnout 3 and Revenge. Online play especially suffers from an open world as a ton of people are just going to be randomly driving around the city with no interest in actually racing.

I'm starting to enjoy the online play even more. I played last night with Inf^Shini and it was great. I found out that if you do have a USB camera connected (like PS Eye, Eyetoy, etc.), it will take your picture for the driver's license picture, and it takes your picture when someone takes you down. It's funny seeing the facial expressions of people when that happens. I wish more games did this.

I downloaded the game a few days ago and finally got a chance to play last night. WOW!! I love it. This is the kind of driving game that I love.

I have never played any Burnout games before this one but this is most definitely a day one purchase.

We should start a group to play on the PS3 online as I haven't tried playing online with anyone yet.

I think I said this before... but this game definitely requires custom soundtracks... if its not included on the disc, then at least make it DLC.

[quote name='Toireht']What I found interesting was an advertisment for Compusa.......[/QUOTE]Srsly. Not a dying company's best investment...

I really enjoyed just driving around and finding all the hiding billboards and crashes. I had a lot fun with the demo, I'll be looking towards the game in January.

I'd love to be able to record game clips, and record it to the ps3 hard drive and share clips of this game (and any game) via home, or you tube.

IS a great demo. Defo a must buy but not sure I will be purchasing it on the first day of release

DEMO SUPPORTING UP TO 8 PLAYERS ONLINE

From Jan 4th to Jan 14th 2008, the Paradise City servers will double the number of players that can join in an online session of Burnout Paradise, from 4 to 8.

With it, a total of 13 new Freeburn challenges will be available for players to attempt - 3 challenges in 5, 6 and 7 player sessions, and 4 new challenges for those playing in 8 player sessions.Burnout Paradise offers a true open world environment built for intense speed, excitement, and exploration.

The demo is now available worldwide on the PlayStation®Network and Xbox LIVE™ Marketplace.

http://www.criteriongames.com/burnout/paradise/press/features/demo/8player/

Awesome news. :D I usually quit or have to make someone leave to make room. Now it won't be a problem.

Anyone on my friends list want to play sometime and see my crazy face? ;) :p

bread's done
Back