CAG Arcade Stick Thread II: World Warrior

[quote name='MarkMan']big wall of awesome[/QUOTE]

So... do the coupons stack with the keychain code? Like, can I use the 30% off code + keychain code? Also, if I order a fightpad... I can get the keychain? I just wanted to make it very clear to me that I get a keychain even though it's a fightpad, lol.

I want that fucking keychain.

Been answered, I'm good.

Last edited by a moderator:
All orders, using ANY of the promo codes, will get a keychain.

---

Borrow'd and copy/pasted RoboKrikit's post over in the TVC FightStick thread on SRK... Good visual goodness for ya'll.

[quote name='RoboKrikit on SRK Forums']
I picked up a TvC stick yesterday and played with it a bit. I really like the matte control panel label on the stick itself. If you've been lucky enough to play on a naked arcade control panel without any plexiglass protecting it, this is what it feels like, and it's nice. Seems like a Lexan label (polycarbonate)? If this is the same stuff mamemarquees is using for their prints I may be making an order soon...

There've been a lot of general impressions posted so I'm going to mostly focus on the stick and buttons. This is really more of a review of the new MadCatz Sanwa clone components.

The Buttons

The buttons are Sanwa OBSF-30 clones. They're more of a neutral white than the Sanwas. The button casings are virtually identical with a couple differences.

* MC buttons have little cutouts on the bottom of the button casings
* MC buttons have slightly less material on the nubs directly underneath the rim

The cutouts are pretty much irrelevant, though they may make button presses slightly louder. This is sort of like the difference in sound between screw-ins and snap-ins, where the sound of screw-ins is a little more muffled.

20100127_175545.jpg

20100127_175821.jpg

20100127_180208.jpg

The new casings are branded with the MadCatz logo.

20100127_185101.jpg

With the switches disassembled, we can see the primary difference between the two is the size of the spring. MadCatz has a similar but longer spring inside the switch. The functional pieces of the casing are essentially identical, as are the steel balls. Aside of the gold connectors the fundamental difference is the spring, and this is what lends the MadCatz button to have a slightly stiffer feel than the Sanwa.

20100127_181736.jpg

20100127_194309.jpg

Note the difference in alignment in the contacts. Sanwa seems to manufacture with a pretty low error tolerance and the contacts are virtually always very well-aligned. The MadCatz variants are sometimes slightly off, though this seems to make no noticeable difference in the behavior of the switch.

20100127_194720.jpg

20100127_195522.jpg

20100127_195707.jpg

20100127_195724.jpg

The little piece in the switch plunger that holds the spring in place is situated a little differently between the two; the MadCatz has it centered in the center of the spring hole, while the Sanwa has it off-center of the hole, which actually puts it closer to the center of the switch. This isn't due to difference in camera angle, they're actually like this.

20100127_204332.jpg
20100127_204508.jpg

After seeing the insides of these switches, it should come as very little surprise that when I swapped only the springs between the MadCatz and Sanwa and reassembled the buttons, the MadCatz button felt like a Sanwa and vice-versa.

The Joystick

The joystick is a Sanwa JLF clone. MarkMan posted previously that they were unable to get rights to the Sanwa TP-MA PCB/switch assembly that the JLF uses, so MadCatz built their own using similar (the same?) Omron microswitches and a compatible connector.

The gates appear to be functionally identical; the 8-way/4-way selector in the center is also the same. Since the casings and components of the two sticks are so similar, pretty much anything from the JLF should be able to be used as a replacement.

I accidentally swapped left and right in a couple of these pix, but they are labeled correctly.

20100127_202926.jpg

20100127_203848.jpg

The spacing between the actuator and microswitches (the "dead zone") seems the same.

20100127_212514.jpg

20100127_212527.jpg

20100127_203712.jpg

20100127_204701.jpg

20100127_204427.jpg

The microswitch contacts look decentered here due to the way they are wired to the PCB; when the stick is assembled they are firmly centered.

20100127_204434.jpg

20100127_204558.jpg

20100127_204547.jpg

The D3V-16-3A5 microswitch up close.

20100127_213002.jpg

The shafts have the same dimensions; the slot at the bottom used to unscrew the balltop is deeper on the Sanwa.

20100127_213305.jpg

Again we get to the important difference between the two sticks, and the one that makes the biggest difference in the way the stick feels and operates: the spring. This is again a little longer in the MadCatz part with its extra coil, which creates some extra stiffness. Those who dislike the looseness of the JLF may like this, and those who feel their TvC stick is too stiff have an easy option: replace the spring with its JLF equivalent. Is your shaft stiff enough? :D

20100127_221959.jpg

As for the actuators, they appear almost identical; my MadCatz sample is slightly tighter around the shaft (either shaft, they are the same). The bit that actually actuates the microswitches seems to be the same size.

20100127_222311.jpg

20100127_222734.jpg

20100127_223252.jpg

The spring covers are the same. The MadCatz stick came with an over-generous application of grease, which is what you see here and all over the shaft, actuator, spring, enclosure, PCB, washer, etc.

20100127_223045.jpg

20100127_223029.jpg

So what's the upshot of all this? The stick feels like a stiffer JLF. The buttons feel like stiffer Sanwas. If you could get an individual pack of springs for the switches, in theory you could 'upgrade' to Sanwa for a few bucks and some spare time. But if a JLF and Sanwa buttons that are a little stiffer than normal are more to your liking, you may as well keep what it comes with.

Good shit MadCatz! Hopefully we see these components in future sticks (new SE for Super?). :)

Please post or PM me any corrections.

[/quote]

Deal is now live guys!

---

NOTE: THIS ONLINE PROMOTION IS ONLY VALID FROM JAN. 29 - 31, 2010!

ALSO NOTE, ONLY ONE COUPON CODE CAN BE USED AT A TIME! IF YOU WANT TO GET A DISCOUNT ON BOTH A TE STICK ORDER AND/OR FIGHTPAD/SE FIGHTSTICK YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE SEPARATE ORDERS!

Hello everyone!

There will be a special Mad Catz Store ( http://store.gameshark.com ) promotion going on this weekend!

I'll be live in Northern California at this week's NorCal Strong Style 4 Tournament plugging this website promo and showing off some of our new Super Street Fighter IV and Tatsunoko VS. Capcom products! Stay tuned to http://iplaywinner.com for more details & watch the live stream on Saturday!

We will be doing 20% OFF all Tournament Edition sticks (Excluding Marvel VS Capcom 2 TE FightSticks) & 30% OFF all standard FightSticks & FightPads!*

The 20% OFF TE FightSticks includes the following... Please use promo code = KEYCHAIN20

4738.gif
SF4-RD2-4738.jpg
SF4-FF4738.jpg

• Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Round 2" Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Femme Fatale" Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for Xbox 360 (VERY LIMITED NUMBERS LEFT!)

The 30% OFF product list includes the following... Please use promo code = KEYCHAIN30

4718.gif
4728-guile.jpg
ComicCon-4728.jpg

• Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick (Standard Edition) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV FightPad (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Round 2" FightPad for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
  • Street Fighter IV "Comic-Con Exclusive" FightPad for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360

ALL ORDERS USING THE SPECIAL PROMO CODE (WILL BE ANNOUNCED FRIDAY), WILL RECEIVE A BONUS MAD CATZ TE STICK PROMO KEY CHAIN (While supplies last!).

4194064755_a1d9a7526c.jpg

* Excludes Marvel VS Capcom 2 Tournament Edition FightSticks & Tatsunoko VS. Capcom FightSticks.
* Offer available to continental US residents only (Sorry International buyers! Plan ahead and see if a US buddy can help you with this deal)!

The deal is now LIVE. Go get it!

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma with my Fightstick...

I have an X360 SE Fightstick with a full Sanwa mod. When I flip the switch on the top of the stick to toggle between L-stick, d-pad, & R-stick - the L-stick function doesn't work at all. I've tested it on both my Xbox & PC (the PC doesn't even recognize the LS). I took apart the stick, the switch itself seems to be fine so I'm at a loss.

I was having a problem about a month ago where the guide wouldn't work but I fixed that by disassembling the top switch & re-aligning the button. I have no idea where to go from here.

Any suggestions? MarkMan?

For some reason I can't get the codes to work, after clicking update I can't see the discount. I have a friend that wants a Zangief Fight pad...

I'm glad the sale doesn't apply to the Tatsunoko stick, I just bought one at Gamestop and I'd be pissed :p

[quote name='ZForce']For some reason I can't get the codes to work, after clicking update I can't see the discount. I have a friend that wants a Zangief Fight pad...

I'm glad the sale doesn't apply to the Tatsunoko stick, I just bought one at Gamestop and I'd be pissed :p[/QUOTE]

I had trouble with that too, I just put the code in then hit enter. After I entered all my info/logged-in, the total showed up with the coupon applied.

[quote name='eastx']PCs never recognize anything but the DP option.

[/QUOTE]
I guess that makes sense. Is it like that on the TE as well? Because my fightpad recognizes both the LS & DP on the PC. Regardless, the LS doesn't function on my 360 at all either so I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot it.

I'm trying to use it on a game that needs the LS function, so I guess I'll just have to use my fightpad for the time being.

EastX (segacon): No, but I have considered penalizing them for dressing badly. If I ever bump into one of my kids wearing a baseball cap at a stupid angle, he's in for it!

I got a good laugh out of this. Grats on getting picked again bud.

I recently picked up a HORI Real Arcade Pro EX-SE for my 360, which I want mainly for old-school games, not so much fighting games, and I like it, but I've found that it isn't actually terribly good for games like Pac-Man CE, in fact it's awful. Probably not for any game that used a 4-way (not 8-way) stick. 8-way games like 2D shooters and 2-way stick games like Joust are great, but 4-way games are problematic with this thing. Is it easy to mod the stick to be 4-way and has anyone tried that for this purpose (that is, to play Pac-Man related games)? Is it just a matter of swapping out a plate? I wouldn't want it to be a permanent change as I'm using this for 8-way games as well.

Another thing about this stick is that the button layout is fighter-oriented, and for most of the games I'm playing I'd rather have A & B side-by-side, instead of B above A. Is it pretty easy to move the buttons around?

The EX-SE comes stock with a square gate not an octagon gate. It already has what you are looking for.Perhaps you meant a two way gate? Those are easy to replace. As for the buttons, yeah you can just switch the wires to different buttons to make it what ever set up you want if the game your playing doesn't support a custom layout.

[quote name='LostRoad']The EX-SE comes stock with a square gate not an octagon gate. It already has what you are looking for.Perhaps you meant a two way gate? Those are easy to replace. As for the buttons, yeah you can just switch the wires to different buttons to make it what ever set up you want if the game your playing doesn't support a custom layout.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... OK I'm a newb. I'm not sure what you mean. It is an 8-way stick out of the box. What I mean is, something that forces you into only 4 directions. UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT, so you can never been UP&RIGHT, etc. Does that exist? As far as I recall, though I definitely could be wrong, Pac-Man machines had a 4-way stick - you couldn't be UP&LEFT, etc.

[quote name='crunchewy']Hmm... OK I'm a newb. I'm not sure what you mean. It is an 8-way stick out of the box. What I mean is, something that forces you into only 4 directions. UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT, so you can never been UP&RIGHT, etc. Does that exist? As far as I recall, though I definitely could be wrong, Pac-Man machines had a 4-way stick - you couldn't be UP&LEFT, etc.[/QUOTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQLXRD-0GBg

I'm starting a new stick project. My SFIV SE has been collecting dust since my HRAP3 plays backwards compatible PS2 games. I've decided to completely rebuild the SFIV SE as a PS2 arcade stick using a padhacked Type H controller. This way I'll have 1 stick to carry around to play against friends or at tournaments. I already have PS2>DC and PS2>GC/Wii. I really like the idea of 1 highly compatible stick. None of my friends play 360 so I'm spared that nightmare. I'm ordering parts in the next few days and I have the art almost finalized. I hope to have this project finished in the next few weeks.

Newb question: are you suppose to remove the (I guess they are) hex screws on top of the HORI Real Arcade Pro EX-SE in order to get inside it, or do you remove the philips screws on the bottom?

[quote name='crunchewy']Hmm... OK I'm a newb. I'm not sure what you mean. It is an 8-way stick out of the box. What I mean is, something that forces you into only 4 directions. UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT, so you can never been UP&RIGHT, etc. Does that exist? As far as I recall, though I definitely could be wrong, Pac-Man machines had a 4-way stick - you couldn't be UP&LEFT, etc.[/QUOTE]
The Seimitsu plate has a way to set it to 4-way, only up/down/left/right.

The Sanwa plate turns the Square into a Diamond, so technically you could hit up+left but it is really difficult. I used to use the diamond for Tetris.

Yeah, Seimitsu sticks are best for 4-way-only operation. No extra parts needed at all (Use the LS-32-01 for SE/TE sticks).

I found some picks up of the Futari stick on another site, which has the same Seimitsu stick in it, I believe. I take it that the dark blue plate is the one that you use to restrict to 4-way? Does it matter which way that plate is facing when you mount it for 4-way?

Tonight I'm going to open the thing up and see what's inside and give it a shot. Am I correct that I'm suppose to remove the hex screws on top in order to open it, not the phillips screws on the bottom?

[quote name='crunchewy']I take it that the dark blue plate is the one that you use to restrict to 4-way?
[/QUOTE]Move the the dark blue plate to the clover-looking shape to get 4-way.
c83yu.jpg

Am I correct that I'm suppose to remove the hex screws on top in order to open it, not the phillips screws on the bottom?
Yes.

Wow, I tried to bid on a Namco stick on eBay & some jerk went up to $72 from my bid of $58 in the last 30 seconds. FML. :cry:

[quote name='coolsteel']And yet the other sticks namco put out with the same parts don't go nearly as high, people love that case I guess[/QUOTE]

The case is pretty damned comfortable, main reason I got it honestly. Best lap stick ever made?

[quote name='coolsteel']And yet the other sticks namco put out with the same parts don't go nearly as high, people love that case I guess[/QUOTE]

Which are the ones with the same parts? I know there are a few Tekken ones but I don't see those pop up as often (aside from the 4 button one). There's also a SCII PS2 stick up right now, but that's a Hori branded one - is it anygood?

I'm looking for a decent PS1/2 stick because we have a HSF2:AE/3rd Strike at work & I want a halfway decent stick to play on instead of a PS2 pad. I might just end up building one.

The Soul Calibur II and Tekken stick with 4 buttons, I think the Tekken Tag one uses those parts as well. I bought the Soul Calibur II stick off ebay recently and was the only person who bid at 35 shipped, Tekken stick cost me 30 and nobody bid on that at the time I had to email the seller after the fact.

Is this the SCII stick you're talking about?

hori_sc2.jpg

So the stock parts are the same as the Namco stick even though it's a Hori branded stick? Weird. Does $45 sound about right on it or a little too high.

I know this one is a little harder to mod if I choose to, but I think I'd definitely get rid of the artwork.

Yeah that is it, 45 isn't a terrible price to pay since that stick doesn't pop up very often . I like the artwork it is one of those things that looks better in person but to each his own.

[quote name='MtlTom']Is this the SCII stick you're talking about?

hori_sc2.jpg

So the stock parts are the same as the Namco stick even though it's a Hori branded stick? Weird. Does $45 sound about right on it or a little too high.

I know this one is a little harder to mod if I choose to, but I think I'd definitely get rid of the artwork.[/QUOTE]
I own one and the stock parts are generic Hori I'm pretty sure - though the stick comes from the era where Hori was imitating Seimitsu rather than Sanwa. The lever in mine actually uses Omron microswitches stock, which surprised me considering you usually see Matsushita or some other brand in Hori generic mechanisms.

One of my buttons broke from frequent use and I ended up swapping them all for mini Seimitsu buttons. It's actually not that bad a job if you're good at desoldering buttons from PCBs - it's a slight bit easier than modding an EX2, though still the same sort of thing.

[quote name='StarCreator']I own one and the stock parts are generic Hori I'm pretty sure - though the stick comes from the era where Hori was imitating Seimitsu rather than Sanwa. The lever in mine actually uses Omron microswitches stock, which surprised me considering you usually see Matsushita or some other brand in Hori generic mechanisms.
[/QUOTE]

Just doubled checked , same parts
R2
v-15-3a5 omron switches used in both the Namco and Soul Calibur II stick .

Well I went ahead and nabbed the SCII off of eBay. Like I said, it's mainly to play HSF2 & 3rd Strike at work so I'm sure it'll be fine but we shall see.

[quote name='coolsteel']Just doubled checked , same parts
R2
v-15-3a5 omron switches used in both the Namco and Soul Calibur II stick .[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more in terms of the buttons. I've also seen SC2 sticks without Omron switches, though we were trying to figure out if it was a cheap second run or some sort of bootleg.

I put this bad boy together a few days ago. I built the box about a year ago but never bothered with finishing the soldering/wiring since I had just finished building another pair of sticks (PS3 & DC) during that time.

Bought a chimp PCB weeks ago and I gotta say, It definately makes the dual setup process super easy.

Seimitsu LS-32-01
Sanwa OSBN-30
Seimitsu PS-14-DN
Chimp PCB
Madcatz 360 Common Ground Pad

100_5966.JPG

100_0065.JPG

100_0060.JPG

100_0055.JPG

Welp, got my two fightpads and no keychains. Way to go MadCatz/GameShark.com. I submitted a request through customer service and they said I was out of luck. I only ordered the damn pads for the keychains. UGH.

So if it wasn't enough that I got a bad Femme Fatale stick from Mad Catz and if I had waited I could have gotten it $30 cheaper, now the MvC 2 stick dropped to $100 and all the Gamestop's around me have the 360 version.

Why should I not just try to return the FF stick/do a chargeback on my card, if I get the stick back from MadCatz.

I'm not going to know if I get a keychain with my fightpad until at least next week, since I doubt FedEx is adventurous enough to get it to me through over 3 feet of snow. But yes, I'm going to be more than a little upset if there's no keychain since the code didn't really represent any real-world savings over the product's current market value (especially after shipping, which just completely ruined the deal).

Got the SoulCalibur II stick and it's actually pretty good. The buttons are pretty firm and responsive. The stick is a little loose compared to what I'm use to but still pretty decent. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

[quote name='eastx']How are those sticks mounted, I wonder?[/QUOTE]

I don't know only thing that I can think off would be modding the back of the case to have picture frame hangings on the back of them. Maybe Heavy can ask when he is there or get some pics.

Got my FightPad yesterday after a lengthy snow delay. No keychain, despite me ordering the first day (and perhaps even the first hours) of the TE keychain promo. Thanks for nothing.

bread's done
Back