CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
H-rap rep!

Also, puma if you open the viper image as a separate file in photoshop you can resize it to fit the template better, its how I got the 2 castlevania images to fit.

[quote name='zewone']I say H-Rap.
smile.gif
[/quote]
Thirded?
smile.gif
Fourthed?

Well my HRAP EX is gonna be here tomorrow and still can't decide what color buttons to use on it so thinking about what direction I want to go with custom art. Couple of questions about the lami-label I've seen people mentioned as the best quality at a CAG price for a stick like this, and sorry if this has been mentioned but 120 pages is a bit much to go through and search isn't helping much.

First what exactly do I need to ask for? 13x9 on size correct and lami-label obviously? Seen in the past that there's some printers they have that are better for this kind of thing then others, how about dpi to be printed at? Are there different weights of the "paper" (clearly not familiar with this stuff)? Anything else I should take into consideration and make sure they do with it? Oh and approximate cost?

On the design do I want to print the outlines of the cutouts directly on the print? How about cutting it, will an exacto do or do I need to pick up something else? Do the HRAP2/3 have the same size and layout since I haven't come across any templates specifically for the EX? How long can I expect this to last and is it still reasonably easy to remove if I want to go a different design down the road?

[quote name='yukine']Pro tip: If you search for "hrap ex" on Amazon, it will ask if you meant "hard sex."[/QUOTE]

Really? Wish I'd gotten those results, mine just brought up the stick.

[quote name='GuardianE']Yep yep, this is how I pronounce it.[/QUOTE]

Same, pronouncing the H ftw.

Now to figure out some way to work Blanka, Cammy and something about face biting together. 31 hours till I can go pick up SFIV so excited.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Well my HRAP EX is gonna be here tomorrow and still can't decide what color buttons to use on it so thinking about what direction I want to go with custom art. Couple of questions about the lami-label I've seen people mentioned as the best quality at a CAG price for a stick like this, and sorry if this has been mentioned but 120 pages is a bit much to go through and search isn't helping much.

First what exactly do I need to ask for? 13x9 on size correct and lami-label obviously? Seen in the past that there's some printers they have that are better for this kind of thing then others, how about dpi to be printed at? Are there different weights of the "paper" (clearly not familiar with this stuff)? Anything else I should take into consideration and make sure they do with it? Oh and approximate cost?

On the design do I want to print the outlines of the cutouts directly on the print? How about cutting it, will an exacto do or do I need to pick up something else? Do the HRAP2/3 have the same size and layout since I haven't come across any templates specifically for the EX? How long can I expect this to last and is it still reasonably easy to remove if I want to go a different design down the road?

Really? Wish I'd gotten those results, mine just brought up the stick.

Same, pronouncing the H ftw.

Now to figure out some way to work Blanka, Cammy and something about face biting together. 31 hours till I can go pick up SFIV so excited.[/quote]

Heres a thread with all the info on paper and such that you need.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=164245&page=4

As far as cutting is concerned, I would say print the art on lami label with the button outlines on the art. Then take the top off of the Hrap and lay it on top of the art. Line up the button holes with the button outlines and use an xacto knife to do the cutting. From there if you have see through buttons you can take the art that you cut out and put it in the button plunger. And here is a thread explaining how to do that. Enjoy.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=132705

I couldn't wait.

Amazon hadn't changed my Gold Box deals and I wanted my HRAP EX ASAP, so I ordered it with one day shipping. It'll be here Tuesday.

Total was $133.98.

Now, I just need to take back my FS SE.

[quote name='heavyd853']H-rap rep!

Also, puma if you open the viper image as a separate file in photoshop you can resize it to fit the template better, its how I got the 2 castlevania images to fit.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought about doing that. That would make things easier, thanks bro.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I hadn't thought about doing that. That would make things easier, thanks bro.[/quote]

When using Photoshop to resize an image, here's a trick that works on CS2 and higher. Change the image size to 300, with resample off. Then create an action that will resize the image to 110% with resample on. This prevents the image from getting too pixellated. I'm not sure why or how it works but it does. Continuing education, FTW. Run this action until the image is larger than needed. Drag the image to a new layer in the template and use edit>scale to scale the image down.

This has probably been asked already, but where should I go to print art? Kinko's?

Do I just hand them a usb drive with the picture on it? Also remember DP going there and they made a mistake of resizing it to fit. DO I have to ask them in a specific way to print the picture in original size?

[quote name='zewone']I couldn't wait.

Amazon hadn't changed my Gold Box deals and I wanted my HRAP EX ASAP, so I ordered it with one day shipping. It'll be here Tuesday.

Total was $133.98.

Now, I just need to take back my FS SE.[/quote]

you coulda done the free 1 mo. trial of Amazon prime - free second day shipping - or $3.99 for next day shipping.

[quote name='hyogen']what? why is the HRAP $129.99?

i got mine for 99.99....did the price go up again?![/QUOTE]

The PS3 HRAP3 is $99.99.

The 360 HRAP EX is $129.99.

ohh...i see

is there any way this will work for the opposite system if you have an adapter (without lag).

that'd suck for me to go to a friends house who has it for xbox 360 and no arcade stick... :x I have the ps3 hrap3

also, i have the square restrictor....and having trouble consistently doing dragon punches... Forward, Down, Downforward.... keep doing hadukens.. most of the time.... do you think an octagon or Circular restrictor plate may help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found square gate prefferable in my case.

This is usually how I do a dp in a square gate.

squarehz6.png

I just prefer a square because of the even engage zones. It's also easy to discern between the axes and diagonals on a square.

I would like circle gates if it wasn't for my inability to find the axes on those.

I'd say go to your local arcade and play any fighting game with dp moves. More than likely they have circle gates/happ sticks.

As for octogonal gates, I have no idea, I'm sure they're similar to circular, but easier to find the 8 directions.

As always, here's some reading on slagcoin regarding these.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html

[quote name='Chacrana']But the point is that you shouldn't have something that's broken out of the box, regardless of how easy or beneficial it is to replace the faulty parts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a QC error as has been stated. Principles are nice and everything but they won't get you better control.

[quote name='option.iv']I've found square gate prefferable in my case.

squarehz6.png

I just prefer a square because of the even engage zones. It's also easy to discern between the axes and diagonals on a square.

I would like circle gates if it wasn't for my inability to find the axes on those.

I'd say go to your local arcade and play any fighting game with dp moves. More than likely they have circle gates/happ sticks.

As for octogonal gates, I have no idea, I'm sure they're similar to circular, but easier to find the 8 directions.

As always, here's some reading on slagcoin regarding these.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html[/quote]

I just now saw your picture.

the reason why I think i'll like an octagon gate better is because on a square gate i tend to go too far... like maybe hit the lower corner and cause my quarter circle to be less smooth.

with octagonal i'll be able to feel the groove better and just keep my joystick along the edge of the gate each time..

I'm slowly learning to appreciate the square gate. It's an interesting transition to go from American sticks to Japanese sticks, but I'm beginning to see what the big deal is.

[quote name='option.iv']This has probably been asked already, but where should I go to print art? Kinko's?

Do I just hand them a usb drive with the picture on it? Also remember DP going there and they made a mistake of resizing it to fit. DO I have to ask them in a specific way to print the picture in original size?[/quote]

You can upload the file to their web site and set up how you want it printed and any other services you require. I recommend uploading a PDF and keeping the art in RGB. Their printers handle the RGB color space better than CMYK. If it's a PDF, their system can easily tell the paper size. I think Darth had a problem with Kinko's shrinking the template to fit on 8.5x14 instead of 11x17. I don't know why the template is 11x17, that size is unnecessarily big and costs twice as much to print. If you adjust the canvas size to 8.5x14, you'll see that none of the template gets cut off.

Thanks for the immediate clarification nil, really appreciate it. And my art will fit under the 8.5x14 dimensions so it looks like I wont get any hitches.

oh...I didn't know that 8.5 worked. I haven't used the template in a while.

I think 11x14 is used so you can see the outline of the whole stick rather than just the printable part.

[quote name='option.iv']
squarehz6.png

[/quote]

And this is how I do DP in a square gate.

untitled896.jpg

[quote name='makstaks']oh...I didn't know that 8.5 worked. I haven't used the template in a while.

I think 11x14 is used so you can see the outline of the whole stick rather than just the printable part.[/quote]

Printing the template at 8.5x14 will get more than the top panel on the stick. The entire top of the HRAP3 is only 9x15 and the panel is 7.75x12.8".

[quote name='nil']You can upload the file to their web site and set up how you want it printed and any other services you require.[/QUOTE]

Have they started supporting lami-label on their site? I've been told they don't in the past.

Got my stick today, was scared when I saw the size of the Amazon box for a second thinking it was going to be huge.

Didn't realize looking at the pictures but are the Start/Back buttons 24mm?

Nil, I absolutely love the art. I'll probably get it printed tomorrow or wednesday.
I'm on the fence about adding my handle to it. I've found some pretty cool fonts to use, so I just might.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Nil, I absolutely love the art. I'll probably get it printed tomorrow or wednesday.
I'm on the fence about adding my handle to it. I've found some pretty cool fonts to use, so I just might.[/QUOTE]

Unless you're going to take it to a lot of tournaments or something I don't really see the point. You know who you are and unless you need to stoke your own ego makes me go meh.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Have they started supporting lami-label on their site? I've been told they don't in the past.

Got my stick today, was scared when I saw the size of the Amazon box for a second thinking it was going to be huge.

Didn't realize looking at the pictures but are the Start/Back buttons 24mm?[/quote]
If you have the TE stick or a HRAP, then yes, they are 24mm. The buttons on the SE stick are their own unique size.

My TE stick squeaks. It's just one direction though, so I'm thinking it's a wonky microswitch. I don't have a Hex key of the right size to open it up and check though, anybody know the exact size it needs?

MarkMan, I love the stick as a whole, but there are some things that could be improved if MadCatz stays in the stick making business(BlazBlue and Tekken sticks plz): Better QA. Even though I'm pretty happy with my stick as a whole, it does have annoying small scratches all over it. Also aforementioned squeaking is driving me insane, but that's probably Sanwa's problem. Completely Solid Case. The cord door is super flimsy and the plastic surrounding the door doesn't seem to be connected well. It's hard to explain, I could take pictures if you're interested.

3mm hex key...

I agree with your concerns. The noise sounds like an issue with the actual Sanwa component. You can try lubing it up, no homo.

Really the door is flimsy? I've been hearing mixed reports from people hrm... Thanks for the impressions.

[quote name='djbooba']If you have the TE stick or a HRAP, then yes, they are 24mm. The buttons on the SE stick are their own unique size.[/QUOTE]

Just a regular EX not the SA or SE versions. I'm torn on plugging the bumpers, don't really like them for playing SF2HDR but there's other things (like Castle Crashers) that are a blast with the stick and need those.

Also anyone able to point me at the high res (is like 4000x3000ish) character art from SFIV? Can't seem to find the link anymore and spent two hours searching for it last night to no avail. Mainly looking for the Blanka image so I can work it into my stick art but if someone knows a place with all of them that's good too.

I know that SFIV sticks the main talk right now but this is still an arcade stick thread right? If so can anyone help me out...Im trying to put Sanwa's or Seimitsu stick in a Nuby Street Fighter Anniversary casing & was wondering if anyone has a tutorial on it or if this is even possible...I cant use the search on the SRK forum & Lizardlick finally got some sticks in stock so i wanted place an order soon...

[quote name='amusedtoe']Just a regular EX not the SA or SE versions. I'm torn on plugging the bumpers, don't really like them for playing SF2HDR but there's other things (like Castle Crashers) that are a blast with the stick and need those.

Also anyone able to point me at the high res (is like 4000x3000ish) character art from SFIV? Can't seem to find the link anymore and spent two hours searching for it last night to no avail. Mainly looking for the Blanka image so I can work it into my stick art but if someone knows a place with all of them that's good too.[/quote]

link is on page 119.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Just a regular EX not the SA or SE versions. I'm torn on plugging the bumpers, don't really like them for playing SF2HDR but there's other things (like Castle Crashers) that are a blast with the stick and need those.

Also anyone able to point me at the high res (is like 4000x3000ish) character art from SFIV? Can't seem to find the link anymore and spent two hours searching for it last night to no avail. Mainly looking for the Blanka image so I can work it into my stick art but if someone knows a place with all of them that's good too.[/quote]

blanka: http://www.la.gg/upl/blanka_stand.jpg

more decently hi res stuff: http://www.mediafire.com/?iniwlgmw1oz

la.gg may be nsfw because of ads. search for street fighter stuff.

[quote name='rcaido']I know that SFIV sticks the main talk right now but this is still an arcade stick thread right? If so can anyone help me out...Im trying to put Sanwa's or Seimitsu stick in a Nuby Street Fighter Anniversary casing & was wondering if anyone has a tutorial on it or if this is even possible...I cant use the search on the SRK forum & Lizardlick finally got some sticks in stock so i wanted place an order soon...[/quote]

I've seen it done... I haven't done it personally but once SRK is up I'm sure you can find some help there.

Awesome stuff.

Ok got something that those looking to do some custom art for their HRAP might like. Wanted to do something in the SFIV wet medium splatter style but also liked the design of the official templates for the MadCatz sticks. So I took the template by makstaks on SRK and reworked the Capcom graphics to fit the button layout.

HrapSplatterTemplate.jpg

HRAP Capcom Slatter Template

Gonna have Cammy behind Blanka and I'm starting to think green buttons top row white buttons bottom row. Just wish the green was a little darker like the HAPP buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back