CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='gunm']$140 if you're in Japan. :p

Importing that thing will cost considerably more, assuming the usual suspects offer them.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say shipped. :lol:

Since it's only available on Hori's site, I'd have to go through someone who lives in Japan anyway.

[quote name='eastx']Thadwhit, really? You should just add a Cthulhu to the 360 stick.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I only need it for PS3 really. I want 2 sticks for PS3. I think I'm going to have a hard time getting rid of this 360 one at this point though. The market is flooded.

[quote name='distgfx']I didn't say shipped. :lol:

Since it's only available on Hori's site, I'd have to go through someone who lives in Japan anyway.[/QUOTE]

NCSX sometimes grabs an allocation to sell, but the premium they charge...oi!!

Heya peeps,

Im working on my first stick mod (Hori EX2) for playing BlazBlue and was wondering if someone would mind shopping this pic into the template I need? While my hardware skills are at least decent, my photoshop skills could be beaten by a newborn! :wall: Many thanks in advance! Time to go put another coat of paint on the shell. ^^

This pic as the main background:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._1280x1024.jpg

And was wondering if Noel and some of the background from this pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...blade/bb18.jpg

Could be incorporated into the upper white expanse on the main background? (minus the Ragna please)

And here is the Hori Marks template:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ritemplate.jpg

Many thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because I'm bored, I'll contribute.

HRAP2blanco.jpg

I am now a proud owner of the X360 Street Fighter TE Stick. Local GameStop got it in today, and one of the workers (who is also my friend) hook me up with his discount. So I got the stick for $127.99 before tax. I love it so far, got to play around with it for about an hour.

So, I've been debating about getting a new arcade stick and luckily stumbled upon this thread. I currently have one of the old HORI DOA arcade sticks and was thinking about upgrading to one of the Mad Catz TE sticks or a HRAP. I'm looking for something that I can mod to work on my :ps3: & :360:. Recommendations please?

Gr8, you can mod the SE and TE to work with both consoles. You need to buy the Xbox 360 version of either stick.

I'd be happy to buy your DOA4 stick for $30 + shipping!

[quote name='eastx']Gr8, you can mod the SE and TE to work with both consoles. You need to buy the Xbox 360 version of either stick.[/QUOTE]

Can't you mod the PS3 one too? I saw a tutorial on how to at SRK. It just looks more expensive and harder. :lol:

Yeah, so in other words, buy a 360 stick and mod it with a Cthulhu. Buying a PS3 stick and padhacking a 360 controller is a lot more trouble.

[quote name='eastx']Gr8, you can mod the SE and TE to work with both consoles. You need to buy the Xbox 360 version of either stick.

I'd be happy to buy your DOA4 stick for $30 + shipping![/QUOTE]

Thanks and I might have to take you up on that offer once I get a replacement.

I didn't think about it until now, but how difficult, if its possible, is it to mod them to work with a :ps2:? Also, I'm not sure how easy it will be to ask this question, but how do the SE & the TE feel? One of my buddies has a HRAP2 and it feels much more stable, sitting on my lap or on a table, in comparison to my DOA4 stick. Also, how are the SE & TE with button and stick replacement? I was leaning slightly towards a HRAP since based on size it seems a lot easier to work on, but depending on size and feel and difficulty of modding I'm thinking I might seek out a Mad Catz one. Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: @eastx: I found what I think is your thread about modding the 360 SFVI SE stick on shoryuken which answers my question about modding for use on the :ps2:. I guess stability is the only real question I have remaining.

IMO the SE/TE/Viewlix layout (the position of the buttons relative to your hand) is absolutely perfect. The Hori layout that has the right-most buttons lower than the rest is inferior.

However, the SE/TE sticks and Madcatz FightPads have the Bumpers and Triggers in an illogical position (The Triggers should be the 2 right-most buttons with the Bumpers just to the left of them). But you can fix that on the SE/TE sticks by changing the quick disconnect positions. Still, most Hori sticks have an even more illogical layout, so this problem is par for the course.

Glad you found my guide, Gr8! Just let me know if you have any questions.

So... eastx... with the upcoming two wireless T6 sticks, gonna try to take the parts from one of them and stick it in the other to make the world's first dual-modded PS3/360 wireless stick? :lol:

Great idea! If the Tekken PS3 stick actually uses Bluetooth (which I doubt), it will be very tempting. But the problem is that unless someone comes up with a solution, the power drain with 2 PCBs would be double that of a single PCB (as far as I know). This the battery life would suck. We need somebody with a little more electrical engineering know-how than me to figure out how to bypass that issue.

That's good news! It's a shame that the guy's instructions and diagrams are fairly hard to follow. Somebody will have to make a guide for that some day.

@eastx: Ok, after reading your thread I'm sold on the SF IV SE stick. How is the stick that comes with it? Decent enough for me to play around with for a little bit then replace down the road or do you recommend replacing it while I have it open? Also, any recommendations for sites to order Sanwa parts? I was hoping to see how your stick turned out, but that thread with all the pictures is not dial-up friendly :cry:

Gr8, if cost is a significant factor to you, then dual modding an SE and living with its stock parts for a while is not a bad option. If you can afford it, it's a good idea to replace the stock parts right away, because the better parts will certainly increase your enjoyment of the stick. But the SE with stock parts is still a good controller and better than using a regular 360 pad or DualShock 3 (for fighting games) any day of the week.

[quote name='docvinh']Just wanted to double check, but there's no way happ buttons will fit in the standard sf4 fightstick right?[/QUOTE]
No because the length of the Happ Button plus the microswitch will be too tall to fit inside the case.

@SmallWind: Thanks!

@eastx: I think what I'll end up doing is using the funds I think I'll hold on installing an RJ-45 jack and replace the stick. Will there be an issue if I use a MC Cthulhu board along with the Imp board without installing the RJ-45 jack? You didn't happen to have a thread showing stick replacement did you? Thanks again for all the help.

EDIT: Found a FAQ concerning Sanwa & Seimitsu parts and a thread pertaining to stick replacement. Plus I ordered my SFIV SE :bouncy:

Yeah Gr8, you can wait to install the RJ-45 jack. Just make sure you leave enough wire slack that you can move the MC Cthulhu out of the way when you're drilling the hole for the jack.

The Sanwa JLF and Seimitsu LS-32-01 do indeed feel a bit different. The Seimitsu has more spring tension and a smaller dead zone. I think the LS-32/LS-32-01 feels exactly perfect, but JLFs are great too.
I don't have a thread about replacing the SE stick's parts, but there is at least one such thread at Shoryuken. It's pretty simple and could probably be done without any guidance though.

W00t! I just got my TE stick today to replace my Hori EX2. For those wondering about the differences between the two, the Sanwa buttons are like a day and night difference. They don't feel stiff like the Hori, and I feel like I can pull off combos/cancels much easier. As for the stick, I don't notice that much of a difference since I'm not a huge fighter enthusist, but I noticed it didn't have that loose feeling when it's idle like the Hori does. It's still a very welcome upgrade, but I still need practice pulling off those ultras super fast at a moments notice. A stick upgrade alone won't help you with that.

Ok, i decided im going to keep my SF Anniversary Stick and mod it with the chutlu for Ps3 (can i use the sixaxis adapter for wireless ps3 as well?) and wire in a 360 controller for a dual board. Can someone point me to where i can get a cheap madcatz pad to use for the board? Those atari ones used to be 7 bucks at frys all day, i used to trip over them, but now they're all gone. Thanks, im excited to get this project going.

Here's my modded TE:

DSCN0385.jpg

I'll replace the Sanwa buttons with Seimitsu's eventually, so Akuma's face isn't blocked off on the sword.

Hey guys, I would not want to create unnecessary threads or so. Is there a specific trade thread for custom arcade sticks?

Thanks in advance.

btw Markman, thanks for creating these threads, it really helps the community for stick enthusiasts.

[quote name='kainzero']has anybody actually painted their buttons?
i want to mod my TE to be a charles barkley stick and buy orange buttons / sanwa stick and paint them so they look like basketballs. rofl.[/QUOTE]

Do not paint your buttons. It will wear off quick. You should have someone cut some adhesive backed vinyl for you. It works GREAT and is unlikely to come off. I wanted some pink writing on black admin buttons so I used vinyl:

Buttons+-+Close-up+Decals+3.JPG

Does anyone know if the pcb from the wired Joytech 360 controllers can be used in an arcade stick? I need to dual mod my HRAP3, and my buddy has a spare he'd give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back