CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been keeping up with the SFIV T.E. sticks, but is this a good deal? http://www.compsource.com/pn/SF4047380021/Saitek_1112/

$136 with free shipping, and the sticks are apparently in stock (not sure if these are still rare or not)... I can't vouch for the reliability of the site; I just stumbled upon the link while I was shopping around for an A/V switcher. Not sure how worthwhile this is, but I wanted to give y'all the heads-up just in case!

[quote name='xcopy']Markman - let me know when you decide to sell your Arcade Stick collection. :)[/QUOTE]

Never gonna happen, if he were to I'd fight you for that HRAP3 SE. :lol:

I just recently got interested in building my own arcade stick but wow this thread is long.

My friend pointed this out to me, apparently it's a chip designed to take button inputs and send it to USB. He built his out of one of these, I believe, but the guy is in pre order now and won't be available for a little while. Just wondering what y'all think.

[quote name='Dandeschain']Does anybody know for sure that the Amazon trade in 50% off dealy will work on the preorder for the new 360 HRAP?[/QUOTE]

It does, I just tried it, $70 discount.

I need help!! first off, my latest pickups!!

rmmxs7.jpg

now, to EastX or smallwind or ppl who know...

my goal is to dual mod my xbox TE stick for use on my PS3 as well.

I understand absolutely nothing about electronics... what I do understand is how to solder and follow a diagram.

that said, say I assemble my IMP and wire perfectly following this diagram...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/eastx/arcade sticks/ps3cthulhuandimptotestickdiagram.jpg

then... am I done?? or are there further steps to take?? Of course I will place and secure all wires and boards to try to make it look clean...

a few more noobie questions:

1. EastX's guide says

"The Imp will switch to whichever console's data wires are connected to the 1-data points by default. You must hold the Guide/Home button when inserting the stick's USB cable into the console in order to switch to the system that is wired to the Imp's 2-data points."

according to the diagram I posted above, it says "Switch the Madcatz stick to 'RS' before...etc", so say my cthulu is wired to data-2, do I now need two conditions checked to make sure the stick will work on PS3 upon wanting to use it?

2. my current setup keeps the TE stick plugged into my xbox, and when I play games I jus grab the stick and press guide to turn the system on. Since Guide button now initiates PS3 mode, does that mean nothing will happen is I try turning on my system using this usual method?? Do I need to start turning my xbox on with the button on the console?? Likewise, will holding down the guide button now turn my PS3 on if the stick is plugged in??

3. since I have an assembled cthulu, the D- and D+ points are obstructed... can I jus solder onto the corresponding points on the other side of the board??

fee9ap.jpg

or is that massive USB jack thing causing sum kinda electronic interference beyond my understanding??

4. Thanks! I hope I can ask more questions if I have them!

[quote name='JEKKI']
3. since I have an assembled cthulu, the D- and D+ points are obstructed... can I jus solder onto the corresponding points on the other side of the board??
[/QUOTE]Yeah, you can solder from the other side.

Has any info been released about the stick included in the Tekken 6 bundle, besides its wireless capability? I'm just wondering about its parts and construction if anyone knows.

[quote name='MarkMan']^ No prob. I love these threads...

I made one on NeoGAF, Dustloop, any many on SRK. ;)[/QUOTE]

Markman, sorry to bother you bro. Would you happen to know why you can't register with NeoGAF with free email like hotmail? :cry:

thanks in advance.

[quote name='JEKKI']
that said, say I assemble my IMP and wire perfectly following this diagram...
then... am I done?? or are there further steps to take?? Of course I will place and secure all wires and boards to try to make it look clean...
[/quote]

Yeah, you do that and you'll be done, but i think if you have a multi-console cthulhu instead of the ps3 only one, something is slightly different, not sure if the diagram reflects this.

[quote name='JEKKI']
2. my current setup keeps the TE stick plugged into my xbox, and when I play games I jus grab the stick and press guide to turn the system on. Since Guide button now initiates PS3 mode, does that mean nothing will happen is I try turning on my system using this usual method?? Do I need to start turning my xbox on with the button on the console?? Likewise, will holding down the guide button now turn my PS3 on if the stick is plugged in??
[/quote]

it only switches modes to the other stick if the button is held down when the stick first recieves power, if you leave your stick plugged into a 360 the 360 is always powering the usb ports so you should be ok. My setup is an hrap3 and madcatz 360 pad dualed with an imp and pressing the guide button to power it up is no problem and doesn't behave any differently than you expect..

[quote name='JEKKI']
or is that massive USB jack thing causing sum kinda electronic interference beyond my understanding??
[/quote]

i believe that will work but you need to be careful that the existing solder blob doesn't melt and touch the other points.

thanks i was just wondering, cuz it says "xbox 360 japan"

yeah im most likely going to put my 50% off on amazon to good use on a nice stick

thanks Milky man!! it helps a lot, especially the answer to #2 I did not know that!

The diagram pretty much has me set btw, I have a PS3 cthulu, not a multi one. Maybe I will use this as my baby step and if I choose to further mod down the line so be it

[quote name='DarthPuma']Does anyone know if the pcb from the wired Joytech 360 controllers can be used in an arcade stick? I need to dual mod my HRAP3, and my buddy has a spare he'd give me.[/QUOTE]

Lolwut not if you use quick disconnects with the wires you attach to the Cthulhu's screw terminals.

Gr8, here is the tutorial for installing arcade parts in an SE stick: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=175882

Jekki, soldering wires to the bottom of the USB jack on an assembled Cthulhu is perfectly fine as long as you don't make a mess, as Milky said.
Also note that that diagram has a small mistake. You do not run a wire from the Row 3-V point to the Imp's VCC point. Instead, run it from the Cthulhu's USB 5 V point.

Plus note that we no longer use the Guide button to switch between consoles. The diagram is set up for using the TE stick's LS-DP-RS switch instead. When you want to be in PS3 mode, put the switch to RS before plugging it into the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lolwut?']Just a quick question: if I bought a pre-assembled Cthulhu board, there would still be some soldering involved, no?[/QUOTE]I bought a pre-assembled cthulu.

I tried to screw my wire into it but the wire was too thin.

I was like lol fukk this, turned that sucka upside down and started soldering. Those screw down terminals will provide a great docking point for me to apply glue tho.

btw that said... it lives!!! it works perfectly!!

all I needa do tho is clean it up and close it up... pics will come tomorrow!!

The board psychofish linked to is called Bumble-B and should be available for sale soon. At Fletchtronics we're making another similar board that is better tuned for making arcade equipment. It has more inputs via a Microchip IO port expander, and optional hardware debounce circuit on all IO. This second board is called Petunia, it also uses AT90USB162, and will be available in a couple months. It should retail near $20US.

This controller is made with a prototype of Petunia:

Fleshtronic, I read all that and the Bumblebee product description and I still don't know what either thing actually is (beyond being a PCB of some sort).

[quote name='eastx']Fleshtronic, I read all that and the Bumblebee product description and I still don't know what either thing actually is (beyond being a PCB of some sort).[/QUOTE]

Sorry I wasn't clear. Bumble-B is pretty much just a straight breakout board for AT90USB162, making it DIP form so it's easier to handle. It also supplies the necessary support circuitry and of course a USB connector. So the datasheet of that chip would give you a good idea of the capability. Petunia is similar, it just adds an IO expander to handle more controls, and has a way to do hardware debounce, as I mentioned.

Combine one of these boards with the Atmel USB examples, or better yet, with LUFA, and you've got quite a nice little USB device development platform.

Oh right and I forgot to mention, practical example.. I made a combined keyboard / joystick driver for running MAME. So it can press '1', '2', '5', and 'esc' for 1up, 2up, coin insert and return to menu. It also works great as a regular joystick. Since it's just a normal USB human interface device, it works on every computer I've tried it on (including Windows XP, Mac, Linux) without special drivers. Code attached to this post.

[quote name='eastx']Lolwut not if you use quick disconnects with the wires you attach to the Cthulhu's screw terminals.[/QUOTE]

Yay!

...lol. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what the means. I was just wondering if it's something I can do myself with minimal tools. I can assemble most things and do case swaps for consoles and stuff like that, I just don't know how to solder.

If you buy an assembled Cthulhu you don't need to solder.

All you need to do is strip the wires, crimp one end to a quick disconnect (which goes on the button), and screw in the other end to the Cthulhu. It couldn't be simpler.

[quote name='MarkMan']lol at this vid[/QUOTE]

Haha wow, I'm only halfway through and some of his comments are too funny. Especially the "tiger face", joystick/Hori, and black button comments so far.

Hi guys. I'm new to all the world of custom sticks and all,
but I recently got some gamestop 360 controllers on the cheap and
was wondering if they're useful for making your own stick like having common ground or something like that??

I have 2 that look like this
4c4f94bbb460587c1df2138cbbaf1c91.jpg

[quote name='menewbe']Hi guys. I'm new to all the world of custom sticks and all,
but I recently got some gamestop 360 controllers on the cheap and
was wondering if they're useful for making your own stick like having common ground or something like that??

I have 2 that look like this
4c4f94bbb460587c1df2138cbbaf1c91.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Well, it's probbaly an uncommon ground pad, like this one. Now, thsi one is the one you want. Only way to find out for sure is to crack it open.

It would be technically possible to wire up an uncommon ground PCB, but for that one, you won't be using a JLF with a 5 pin harness since the right direction on the Dpad has a different ground than the rest of the dpad. If you are going to use another stick like an LS 32 without the 5 pin harness or a Happ stick, then you'll be fine. It'll just take more work.

[quote name='anubis20']from where?[/QUOTE]
amazon trade $50 get 50% off a game or accessory deal
traded in $57.50 worth and also had a eca coupon so 60% off+57.50=$2.49 TE :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back