CAG Fund for Child's Play 2008 Raffle - $32,667 Raised! - Winners Posted!

It's for a good cause..Here's $20!!

[quote name='CheapyD']In 2007, CAGs raised over $27,000 for Penny Arcade's Child's Play charity. This year, let's see if we can hit $30,000 before the year is through.

For every $5 donated via PayPal through the CAG ChipIn system, you will receive one entry into a raffle to win a $500 Amazon Gift Certificate or other great prizes! Last year, the CAG Community donated some really cool and generous prizes and I'm sure the tradition will continue this year. I expect the prize list to grow and grow until the very end of the fundraiser.

You must donate through the ChipIn system or your raffle entry will not register. Use any of the links in this post or the widget below. Just click the "ChipIn" button to donate.

[chipinbig]ed63643e88e3d348[/chipinbig]

If you would like to add a small version of the above widget to your forum signature (see example in my signature below), please use this code:
HTML:
[chipinsig]ed63643e88e3d348[/chipinsig]
Donations are accepted via PayPal and go directly to Child's Play. ChipIn tracks our donations as a group, but the money is immediately deposited into Child's Play's PayPal account.

About the Child's Play Charity

Raffle Prize List
If you would like to donate a prize for the raffle, please email me via this form. At this time, we are not accepting used items (we can make exceptions for classics). Unless otherwise specified, prizes will be shipped within North America only. Winners will be contacted via the email address they have on file with PayPal. Click here for last year's prize list

1. iconamazon.gif
    $500 Amazon Gift Certificate (CheapyD)
  2. :360:HUGE Xbox 360 60GB Prize Package with over 50 games and more! [picture] (Justden)[hiddenlist]Alone in the Dark, Arcade Unplugged, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Bioshock, Blue Dragon, Bolt, Burnout Paradise, Culdcept Saga, Dark Sector, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Enchanted Arms, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy XI Online: The Vana'Diel Collection, Gears of War 2, Infinite Undiscovery, Kameo: Elements of Power, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Kung Fu Panda, Last Remnant, Left 4 Dead, Legendary, Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Microsoft Children's Miracle Network Games Bundle (Viva Piñata Party Animals, Sonic The Hedgehog, and Shrek The Third), Naruto: Rise of the Ninja, Operation Darkness, Orange Box, Overlord, Perfect Dark Zero, Prince of Persia, Scene it? Box Office Smash (includes 4 controllers), Simpsons Game, Sonic Unleashed, Spectral Force 3, Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, Spiderwick Chronicles, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Tales of Vesperia, Too Human, Turok, Two Worlds, Universe at War: Earth Assault, Viking: Battle for Asgard, 1 year XBOX Live Gold Subscription card, 4000 Microsoft Points card, CAGcast hoodie and CAG hat![/hiddenlist]
  3. :360:Xbox 360 Elite 120GB w Forza 2 / Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Marten)
  4. :360:Xbox 20GB Bundle (Marten)
  5. icon10.gif
    Apple iTouch 32gb 2nd Generation (Marten)
  6. icon10.gif
    Apple iTouch 8gb 2nd Generation
  7. icon5.gif
    Marten's Famous Random Box (1) (Marten)
  8. icon5.gif
    Marten's Famous Random Box (2) (Marten)
  9. icon14.gif
    Sumo Sultan Chair (Sumo)
  10. icon10.gif
    Mega Man 9 Press Kit (Player One Podcast)
  11. :360:Fable II, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Lips (Gamerscore Blog)
  12. :360:Fable II, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, (Gamerscore Blog)
  13. :360:Sid Mayer's Civilization Revolution (JJSP)
  14. :360:Fallout 3 Collector's Edition (Maklershed)
  15. :ps2:Phantom Brave (Rocko)
  16. :wii:2,000 Wii Points (UncleBob)
  17. :ps2: Persona 3: FES (TahoeMax)
  18. :dvd:The Personal Best of Monty Python's Flying Circus (sobjw)
  19. iconxbox_r2.gif
    Bundle (drfrielgood - gamedealdaily.com)[hiddenlist]Project Gotham Racing 3 (XBox 360)
    Outlaw Tennis (XBox)
    Tecmo Classic Arcade (XBox)
    Midway Arcade Treasures 2 (XBox)
    Boogie (PS2)[/hiddenlist]
  20. iconds.gif
    Bundle (drfrielgood - gamedealdaily.com)[hiddenlist]Feel the Magic (DS)
    Sprung (DS)
    Puzzle de Harvest Moon (DS)
    Drill Dozer (GBA)
    Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 (GBA)[/hiddenlist]
  21. :pc:PC Pack:Daikatana, Deus Ex, and a Microsoft Optical Mouse (Hbomb5)
  22. :360:Gun (carpwrist)
  23. :ps2:Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 w/Art book & Soundtrack (psychofish)
  24. :wii:Geometry Wars: Galaxies (PR Mega X)
  25. icon14.gif
    Perfect Dark - N64 (jodyanthony)
  26. :ps2:Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (daknight)
  27. :ps3:$20 Playstation Network Card (saturnotaku)
  28. :360:1600 Microsoft Point Card (saturnotaku)
  29. :ps3:$20 Playstation Network Card (GLOCKGLOCK)
  30. :360:1600 Microsoft Point Card (GLOCKGLOCK)
  31. :360: Halo 3 Collector's Edition 1600 Microsoft Points Card (shafnitz)
  32. :ps2:Devil May Cry 5th Anniversary Edition (manthing)
  33. :360:Gears of War 2 Limited Edition (dwhelan)
  34. :wii:Blast Works (silverball)
  35. :ds:Elite Beat Agents + Chronotrigger (jdough)
  36. :ds:Elite Beat Agents (jdough)
  37. :ds:Elite Beat Agents (strikeratt)
  38. :pc:Half Life 2 - via Steam (dsunshine)
  39. :ps2:Half-life 2 Pack - via Steam (dwhelan)
  40. :360:Stranglehold (The Great BM)
  41. :ps2: Radiata Stories, Valkyrie Profile 2, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner, and Final Fantasy XII Art DVD (shadoz19)
  42. :psp:4 GB Pro Duo + $25 Target gift card (quest1962)
  43. :ds:Naruto Ninja Council 3 (Nikadimas)
  44. :360:4000 Microsoft Points Card (pjarvi)
  45. :dvd:Frisky Dingo Season One (cdubthebabyshooter)
  46. :pc:$10 Blockbuster gift card +Half-Life 2 (Admiral Moo)
  47. :psp: Dead Head Fred + Intec PSP Swivel Game Cases (Reverenddave)
  48. :ps2:Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 with art book and soundtrack (blueshinra)
  49. :ps2:Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (blueshinra)
  50. :gc:Resident Evil Chainsaw Controller (bmachine)
[/quote]

Donated $25. How does Cheapy tell how much we've donated? My paypal account is different from my CAG account. Not that it matters if I win or anything. Just curious.

[quote name='GamerChris']Donated $25. How does Cheapy tell how much we've donated? My paypal account is different from my CAG account. Not that it matters if I win or anything. Just curious.[/QUOTE]

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I just donated $10, and I'm not all that concerned with winning anything, but I don't have or want a PayPal account. I did use the same e-mail, though.

[quote name='ScottG13']With 40,000 "active members" only 830 donations is pretty sad. Its a pretty tough year for charities.[/QUOTE]
Weird. All the ChipIn widgets I can see are showing 613 donations, with a total of $13,780. It was updating every time I came to the site for a while, but has been frozen at these numbers for me for a few days now, even after I finally got around to making my own donation.

Anyway, I'm in for $50. Let's keep it going! :applause:

How about a buck for every deal you took advantage of this year? Or maybe just since Black Friday. I'm guessing that's easily $10-$20 a person. (Just added to my contributions to match up.)

In keeping with the xmas spirit (Yes, its Christmas you heathen solstice bastards!) I'm upping another donation on xmas eve.

But I am going to go on the record as saying that had CHILDSPLAY not made national news about ALREADY making more than a MILLION this season alone, I'd probably have been a little more....enthusiastic...about donating.

Call it what you will, but perception is everything. I dont give the bum in the santa suit near my grocery store any money ever since I saw one dip into the pot and go to the liquor store across the street. By the same token, having hit a million bucks already..and having no idea how those funds are distributed....there's a part of me that goes "ok, enough money for games...put this cash to research for whatever disease is aiing you"......

I know I'm an asshat scrooge of the highest order...I'm still chipping in, I'm just suggesting that perception is key. Last year I felt like we were a medium sized website making a sizable contribution to a worthy cause. This year I feel more like we're just another drop in the bucket. Please dont let my comments deter you from donating however.

Every buck we toss in no doubt is gonna make some kids life just a little bit better.

I hate to ask again, do I need to have paypal to donate? I despise paypal because they have ripped me off in the past when I sold stuff on Ebay.

I think you overestimated things. Last years total should have been the goal and if you come up a bit short... well come on, read the papers. I'll bet you end up with about 25k before it's over and I think that would be pretty good, all things considered.

A more positve plea would help too. Avoid words like "Woefully behind" in your plea. It tends to make people see you as ungrateful for the donations you've already gotten, so why should they bother. Not that you are, but the word choice and phrasing is key. As the song says, "Accentuate the positive." Something like "In these hard economic times, we are thrilled to have been able to raise nearly 20,000 dollars so far and with your help we hope to beat last years total."

Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='wildcpac']I hate to ask again, do I need to have paypal to donate? I despise paypal because they have ripped me off in the past when I sold stuff on Ebay.[/quote]

Nope. Paypal is not required. Just click on the widget, you'll see the options.

I think Cheapy said winners will be selected based on email address, not CAG handle. Each amount will probably just be divided by 5 and thats how many entry's you'll get. There is most likely a way that the Donation processor can even do that for cheapy. Nobody should worry about that.

Please give if you can. It's a good cause!

Just read up on Child's Play - what a great charity. Even though times have been really tight for us this year, CAG has saved me some money on games so I contributed $25 to the fund.

Cheapy is sounding pretty desperate in his newest front page post. It's not that people have forgotten about donations, it's there on the page every time someone visits in place of the ads. It gets annoying though to keep seeing you beg for donations. Makes it seem like he's getting some of the money on the side or something.

[quote name='TripMasterMunky']Cheapy is sounding pretty desperate in his newest front page post. It's not that people have forgotten about donations, it's there on the page every time someone visits in place of the ads. It gets annoying though to keep seeing you beg for donations. Makes it seem like he's getting some of the money on the side or something.[/quote]

Somebody sound the noob alert

First of all, it was just a friendly reminder, the CAG fund will end here in another week or so.

Second of all, he hasn't been "begging" for donations, again, this was the first reminder I had seen him post.

Third of all, he's not getting anything out of the money. He's doing this to allow the CAG community to participate in a large fund for the excellent organization Child's Play. We set a target this year, and he's reminding people that we won't achieve that goal unless we open our wallets a little more for the deserving children who benefit from the organization.

I donated $5.

After the holidays are over I am hoping that I can get a little more together to help reach the goal. I have saved too much money from this site not to give back.

Here is hoping that after Christmas that I am able to give more.

Chipped in $25, hope to give a little more. Like someone else stated, I've saved too much money because of this site not to give back.

$20 coming your way - i've saved at least that much using this site, and have helped a number of friends get some great deals for their kids - the least i could do is give some of it back.

[quote name='TripMasterMunky']Cheapy is sounding pretty desperate in his newest front page post. It's not that people have forgotten about donations, it's there on the page every time someone visits in place of the ads. It gets annoying though to keep seeing you beg for donations. Makes it seem like he's getting some of the money on the side or something.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe he just really wants to hit our donation goal for a worthwhile charity

I'm not sure if CAG has "saved" me much money, but instead it has caused my current back log. Instead of filing suit against CAG for my spending problem I've decided to contribute $5. I NEVER contribute to charities because I don't believe cash is ever spent efficiently, but in this case I'm willing to make an exception.

I chipped in $5.

Things are tight this year, but it's a good cause. Plus, as Cheapy mentioned, I've saved way too much money with CAG this year to hold it all back now.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Somebody sound the noob alert

First of all, it was just a friendly reminder, the CAG fund will end here in another week or so.

Second of all, he hasn't been "begging" for donations, again, this was the first reminder I had seen him post.

Third of all, he's not getting anything out of the money. He's doing this to allow the CAG community to participate in a large fund for the excellent organization Child's Play. We set a target this year, and he's reminding people that we won't achieve that goal unless we open our wallets a little more for the deserving children who benefit from the organization.[/quote]

Not to mention he added $1,000 to the donation... as well as provide a $500.00 gift certificate for the prize pool.

What an idiotic thing to say, seriously.

[quote name='TripMasterMunky']Cheapy is sounding pretty desperate in his newest front page post. It's not that people have forgotten about donations, it's there on the page every time someone visits in place of the ads. It gets annoying though to keep seeing you beg for donations. Makes it seem like he's getting some of the money on the side or something.[/QUOTE]

Also, if you use adblock on firefox, you dont even see the donation box normally where the ads are. this is the first time i've seen it on the front page since the first few days it was there.

good job sounding like a scrooge.

Thanks for the reminder Cheapy! Somehow I totally missed this until now.
In for $20 this year.

$25 more. I think putting it in the front page helped a lot. There's been about 300 more contributors since around the time I posted 1 1/2 days ago. That's nearly 1/3rd of the donations coming in a day. Hopefully we hit $30k and I'm sure we will!

bread's done
Back