CAG Gaming Group - Clan/Game Specific Group Listings (Courtesy Friend Of A Friend)

ThatDamnDave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I have been eagerly awaiting clan support or friend list notations for Xbox 360 friends lists and have thus far been disappointed in that regard. The 2007 Fall Update is the latest to not address this feature, but inspiration has struck thanks entirely to Tycho of Penny Arcade who said:

Looking over Joystiq's final word on the Fall Update, and seeing that clans are still nowhere to be found, it seems as though the Friends of Friends option could be used to gin up a somewhat functional compromise.

By creating a new Silver Account on your own box named (Let's Say) Team Inferno, and and using this new dummy account's hundred-man friend's list as your clan roster, you can with a single invite get access to a well-groomed list of guys that is essentially tuned for this purpose. It's not perfect, it's not complete, and without Group Voice Chat it's even less so. But it's something I could see myself using.
(CW)TB

So, let's use the CAG Gaming Group as an example. Let's say that someone wants to setup a Call of Duty 4 "clan" for CAGs. I (or someone else) could setup a silver account on my Xbox 360 with the Gamertag "CAGCOD4" and subsequently add the first 100 people that were interested in being part of the group.

Using the friend-of-a-friend function coming with the Fall Update, anyone on the list would then be able to look at CAGCOD4's friends list and instantly find a full slate of people interested in COD4 gaming with other CAGs. No, it's not perfect, but at the very least it's a passable work around for a feature that Microsoft will hopefully add at some point.

So, I'd like to use this thread to compile those lists and discuss whether this is too cumbersome of a process or whatever. I think it's a workable solution, but I could be proven wrong (especially since the update isn't even out yet).

I'd like to first try this out with the COD4 idea I have above. So, I'll create a silver-account gamertag on my 360 called something like CAGCOD4 or some variation. Please reply to this thread if you want to be placed on that friends list or have other friends lists that you'd like to start. I'll likely do one to capture the large CAG Gaming Group Friends List stickied at the top of this forum.

All lists will be held in the second post of this thread. Whenever you're no longer interested in being listed on the friends list, it's quite simple. Just delete CAGCOD4 or whatever the friend list name might be from your friends.

Thoughts?

Reserved for Clan/Game Group listings.

Each entry includes the game or genre that the clan is centered around, the person administering the list, the XBLA Gamertag for the list and whether it is full or not. If you want to be part of one of these lists, please send a friend request to that gamertag. That makes it easier for everyone.

Gamertag: CAGCOD4
Administrator: ThatDamnDave
Game: Call of Duty 4

Gamertag: CAG Halo Clan
Administrator: MSU Hitman
Game: Halo 3

Gamertag: CAG Fortress 2
Game: Team Fortress 2 (The Orange Box)

Gamertag: CAGRAW2
Administrator: Chipch (XBL Name: Silk1313)
Game(s): Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2

Gamertag: CAGCC3
Administrator: Chipch (XBL Name: Silk1313)
Game(s): Command & Conquer 3

Gamertag: CAGRainbowSix [Pending]
Game: Rainbow Six: Vegas & Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

Gamertag: CAGsOfWar [Pending]
Game: Gears Of War
Status: Pending setup of account, check back for updates[/b]

I was thinking we could do this after I read Penny-Arcade as well, it's a nice little workaround.

I think we should do it for all "popular" multiplayer games. TF2, COD4, Halo 3, etc.

Great idea. I am hoping to get cod4 this weekend pm at best buy with cc $40 price.

One thing about clan support, it isn't 100% that it won't be in the update. Most of the links to the list say "some" of the features. I would imagine that the divxx support was announced today as a bone as a lot of people wanted this feature. IMO, clan support is probably wanted by a larger group of live members, and they might be holding off on announcing it. Then again, they might not give it to us at all in this update.

This sounds great. I'm up for TF2, Halo 3, and Gears. I have Rainbow six: Vegas, prey, lost planet, bk games, aegis wing, carcassone, and tony hawk project 8 but I don't play them online much.

Once the update actually comes down and the friend of a friend feature is installed, I'll go ahead and make a few silver accounts fo this purpose. I'll update the second post in this thread with those that are interested in particular groups as well.

I would go ahead and create the silver accounts now. IGN has already done this and I'm on all of those lists. I would be interested in Gears, R6, Halo, TF2, and COD4 for shooters, plus it would be cool if there was a sports game CAG "clan" also.

Great idea! I'm down for COD4, HALO3, GEARS, and even if someone wants to start a "rock band",....MetallicaG or Cags & Roses, who knows?

GTAG
Simon D I

Up for Halo3, CoD4.

I propose fridays become Halo 3 night(since it was halo night anyways) and CoD4 is something like Wednesday night. This way, even though we can jump on the FoF as needed, it'll be an influx of CAGs rocking the game instead of just random establishments. Because of the way the party and playlist system works in CoD4(and in Halo for that matter), it would be best to do it like this in some fashion.

The lists are updated in the second post. I'll set up these accounts when I get home from work. Looking forward to it. I think these groups will making gaming nights much easier to organize.

Also, suggestions are welcome. There has been an idea forwarded for a sports clan and for a rock band clan, any other ideas? Ideas on more creative clan gamertags are welcome too.

Those silver memberships are a pain to set up with all of the info MS makes you fill in. So, I only set up CAGCOD4 today. Those invites went out. If you want to join that list, just add CAGCOD4.

Dave, you are awesome.

I would like to throw out a suggestion if we get one up for Rock Band ...perhaps we can have people add their "preferred" instrument, so a band will be easier to form, and if they wanted to do everything, that could be listed as well.

...just a thought.

Yeah, I can do the Windows Live IDs on the comp. There's still a linking process on the Xbox, but that shouldn't be too bad. I only have so many silver accounts on the box though, so anyone want to pick up a couple (like the Rock Band one especially).

I guess I can create the CAG Halo Clan gamertag tonight when I get off work since I created the one on bungie.net. I will post again when I have it up. First priority will be given to those who already signed up on the bungie.net group.

You can link your xbox gamertag by creating a new one on the website. I did it for another group. It's pretty simple, I just don't remember how difficult the live ID is in terms of tediousness though.

Can you put me in for COD4, Halo 3, and Gears? Sweet idea, don't mind if I use it for other communities I visit right? 8)

GT= awwjayzin , i'll send an invite if it makes it any easier for you. =]

Just threw a friend request in for the Cod 4 group. GT is Snowdon06. It would definately nice to get some COD4 in this weekend with some fellow CAGs

CAG Halo Clan and CAG 2K Sports gamertags created. Send your friend requests. Like I said on the CAGCast, first priority will be given to those who already joined the Bungie.net group. Also, I figured we should seperate the 2K Sports and EA Sports fans into seperate groups.

We have 29 spots available in the CAG Halo Clan. If you want in, send a friend request to CAG Halo Clan. We are semi-competitive and wanting to have some fun with fellow CAG's.

[quote name='MSUHitman']We have 29 spots available in the CAG Halo Clan. If you want in, send a friend request to CAG Halo Clan. We are semi-competitive and wanting to have some fun with fellow CAG's.[/quote]

Request sent :)

I would love to be on the list - I'll add them when I get a chance. If you have time ThatDamnDave, please send me a FR for Halo 3 and CoD 4.

bread's done
Back