CAG Lord of the Rings Online Kinship

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Just curious, but do you play many MMOs? Most that I've played (which isn't a lot) involve a good amount of grinding in order to level up, so if you know of other MMOs that don't involve grinding or have more interesting story lines, I'd be curious to hear about them.

The F2P model just gives you the option of doing additional grinding in order to get access to the "paid" content without paying $$$ for it. Instead, you pay with your time spent grinding. Personally, I value my time so I'm willing to pay $$$ to get on with the storyand avoid repetitive grinding.

Regardless, I'm glad you tried the game out and it sounds like you've given it a fair chance to convince you to keep playing. For a reasonable price you could continue playing new content if you don't want to grind for free TPs, but it sounds like you aren't enjoying the game enough to do either and there's nothing wrong with that.

Games are supposed to be fun, so if you aren't having enough fun it sounds like it would be time to give another game a shot. And if your backlog is anything like mine, there are plenty to choose from ;)[/QUOTE]
I have played quite a number of MMOs and not-quite-MMOs. Of the genre, Dungeons and Dragons Online (by the same company no less!) and Guild Wars have been the best.

Typically what I look for in an MMO-ish game is a well presented story since I hate the feeling of wandering around without a goal other than "reach max level."

With Guild Wars its a nobrainer. The combat mechanics and economy of the MMO genre combined with the story, voice acting, and music of single player quality. There are cutscenes for everything with an extremely clear mission structure and progression system that requires 0 grinding. In fact, the majority of the game requires you to be max level which takes only a few days of normal play. With the constant cutscenes and the action being reflected as you play in game, there is a very tangible connection with what you are doing and what is occurring in the story. That bond is very strong in Guild Wars and helps keep me focused and makes the story, at least for me, memorable.

DDO is very different for me. There is no "main" storyline in DDO, its just a bunch of quest and adventures here and there which is usually a turn off for me. However, every single quest is different in some regard and each is narrated as you progress through them, giving them a personalized touch. The dungeons are instanced creating a very personal feel and each can be approached in a variety of ways. Do you charge through as a warrior? Do you find a hidden passage and disarm traps within said passage as a rogue? Do you cast a variety of movement spells granting you the ability to run fast, jump high, and float through the air as a wizard to allow you to completely skip the area? There are also many things going on in an adventure apart from just the combat. There are platforming elements, traps to avoid/disarm, secret rooms to find through careful searching, puzzles to solve. And all of these things can be found in even the earliest quests. In this way, each adventure is a full on story of its own, so DDO succeeds to me in that category.

LOTRO has a main story with "cutscenes" which is what initially drew me to it. I also had very much enjoyed DDO made by the same company so I assumed they would be similar. My time spent playing LOTRO was mainly as a Burglar which I picked because I wanted to steal things and I generally enjoy playing the stealthy class. Where LOTRO failed for me was the presentation. There are story missions and there is a story but I honestly have no idea what it is. It seemed like it is trying to tell a story parallel to the events in the books, filling in some background info. The dialogue in game is quite scarce apart from your usual acknowledgment blurbs and text based story telling through npc quest dialogue in a game feels extremely dated to me these days. There are also cutscenes of a sort to help tell the story, but you come across them very rarely especially in comparison to Guild Wars that has them happen at least once or twice in every single mission.

Compared to the mechanics of DDO there is much less going on. Quests I encountered were entirely of the "move through area killing everything till you get to the end" variety. No puzzles, no platforming, no traps. Nothing but me and some dudes to slay. As I mentioned I had played a burglar for my love of stealth. DDO has a full on stealth system with separate skills for hiding yourself visually and moving silently to evade audible detection. There is also a "light" system in that you are better concealed if you stick to darker areas. Adventures are also designed with this sort of path in mind, plenty of traps to disarm, hidden passages to find and sneak through, and that sort of thing in DDO. In LOTRO, the burglar gets a "stealth" skill and thats the end of it. Detection is through some random dice roll and if there is more to the system, it is not presented as such in the game. Also, none of the quests I played seemed to have been designed with stealth in mind. It just seemed like its something you could do, not that any specific considerations were taken for it.

Perhaps as the game continues, the quality and presentation improves. Perhaps the quests become more varied and the expansion and later areas introduce to elements to worry about apart from the enemies. But I shouldn't have to wait till the end of the game to have fun. DDO has something different from every MMO I had played in the very first adventure I played and keeps it up throughout the whole game. Guild Wars presented a story in a manner I didn't think possible in an online game and did away with things like grinding for loot and experience so that you reach max power before the game is even halfway through.

I had hoped LOTRO was going to be a sort of mishmash of the two. The story telling of Guild Wars with the amazing game mechanics of DDO. Instead, it fell short of everything both the other games had to offer while offering up nothing new to keep my interest or entice me to spend money to continue playing.

This is not to say there weren't things about LOTRO I did not enjoy. The crafting system seemed to be a good idea; I enjoyed traveling through the wilderness looking for resources and finding the ruins the resources would usually reside in. The atmosphere present in the game and the music was very appropriate given the setting. While burgling things, I would get useful items that weren't complete shit, a first in any MMO for me since stealing usually results in crap. One of the last story missions I completed in the barrows was the best one I had played, comparable to some DDO quests. I was able to finally play "stealthily." Advancing while invisible, triggering spawns of monsters, and taking them out one by one. I accomplished this at a level lower than that of the quest as well, so I felt like it was my tactics paying off which added to the experience.

So while I don't feel like it was a waste of time (apart from the inherent waste of time due to it being a video game), I feel like I would be better entertained by pre-exisiting games, which is sort of a shame as I was looking for something that could rival DDO and Guild Wars for me.

=======
Ridiculously long reply, I know.

To answer your question, Guild Wars has a much better presented storyline and has no grinding at all, and DDO has much better game mechanics with bite sized stories. If you play DDO for free, there is grinding after a certain point though its not as bad as other games since you're not grinding on monsters for exp, you're going through the adventures again, on higher difficulties you've unlocked if you like.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I don't normally alt either, but the crafting system almost requires you to do so (or have buddies that will send you the stuff you need). Your primary crafting choice gives you access to 3 crafting skills. One of these can be pursued on your own, one requires resources you can only get from someone else, and one allows you to create crafting resources only others can use, so it really encourages interaction between people that want to level up in all 3 crafting areas. [That may not be exactly correct for all instances, but it seems to be for my main]

I'll probably only have my main + 3 alts maximum, since that's all I really need to cover all of the 10 crafting areas, but I'm stilly trying to choose which classes I want to use for the alts. Then again, I may find it takes too much time to keep them all leveling up and just give up on the alts, But from what I've found so far, things seem to go much faster the second or third time around because you know exactly where to go, what to do, how to get the most done in each area you go to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That's part of the reason I was not going to get into crafting. I'll play by drop that a little too involved for me.

[quote name='Megazell']Yeah. That's part of the reason I was not going to get into crafting. I'll play by drop that a little too involved for me.[/QUOTE]

You really should have done the bare minimum by going Explorer and only mining and/or lumberjacking. Then taking that and just maxing out the first bar to reach the next tier. Wouldn't of taken up that much time.

Oh well.

[quote name='Draekon']You really should have done the bare minimum by going Explorer and only mining and/or lumberjacking. Then taking that and just maxing out the first bar to reach the next tier. Wouldn't of taken up that much time.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the fun factor in that.

[quote name='Megazell']I don't see the fun factor in that.[/QUOTE]
Its a matter of preference of course, but I felt that picking the Historian crafting class added to the game experience for me because the resource points they find (shattered urn, broken pitchers, etc.) were all found in ruins hidden in the forests and such. It was cool to find the ruins and usually some sort of boss creature inside that I could either fight or try to sneak past with stealth to get to the resource point making me feel like I was playing a burglar, not just a dual-wielding warrior with stealth.

The explorer, meh, the mining stuff and trees just spawn pretty much anywhere and never led me to any interesting locations.

Sure, you could find those ruins on your own, but the Track Artifact skill helps serve as a little compass.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Its a matter of preference of course, but I felt that picking the Historian crafting class added to the game experience for me because the resource points they find (shattered urn, broken pitchers, etc.) were all found in ruins hidden in the forests and such. It was cool to find the ruins and usually some sort of boss creature inside that I could either fight or try to sneak past with stealth to get to the resource point making me feel like I was playing a burglar, not just a dual-wielding warrior with stealth.

The explorer, meh, the mining stuff and trees just spawn pretty much anywhere and never led me to any interesting locations.

Sure, you could find those ruins on your own, but the Track Artifact skill helps serve as a little compass.[/QUOTE]

You may have just sold me on the history crafting class. I will have to do some reading on that when I have time. I'm running out of deeds and I found that those have lead me to some historical areas (book wise).

[quote name='crystalklear64']I have played quite a number of MMOs and not-quite-MMOs. Of the genre, Dungeons and Dragons Online (by the same company no less!) and Guild Wars have been the best.

=======
Ridiculously long reply, I know.

To answer your question, Guild Wars has a much better presented storyline and has no grinding at all, and DDO has much better game mechanics with bite sized stories. If you play DDO for free, there is grinding after a certain point though its not as bad as other games since you're not grinding on monsters for exp, you're going through the adventures again, on higher difficulties you've unlocked if you like.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the long and informative reply since it's good to hear a few different games compared by someone that has played several. Based on your comments I might have to check out Guild Wars at some point.

Myself, I only played WoW for the free 30-days included with the bundle starter package and decided to not renew my subscription because I realized it would take me a long time to get through all of the expansions packs available at the time (up to WotLK). Since I only got up to level 20 or so, I don't think I gave the game a fair chance to develop the story (and I thought I might want to play the original Warcraft games first, which I still had sitting around from years ago).

My other reference point is Star Trek Online, which I must say seems to set the bar pretty low for other games to beat. There were some good story elements, PvP can be very challenging, optimizing the skills of your captain, BO's and ships takes a good deal of thought and I liked the ST universe, but the gameplay is pretty repetitive.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed response to my questions.

OK, if there are any scholars or weaponsmiths out there, I have a several Journeyman Scholar recipes and several Apprentic and Expert weapons recipes I can send your way. Just let me know the name of your character so I can mail them to you.

These are duplicates of recipes that I've already learned so I have no use for them. They were sent to me by others in the Kinship (you know who you are) that have been helping me out A LOT with crafting items so I'd like to pass these on to others in the Kinship instead of selling them.

Specifically, I have the following:
---Scholar
Simple Conhuith Draught Recipe (Journeyman)
Umber Dye Recipe (Journeyman)
Grey Dye Recipe (Journeyman)
Olive Dye Recipe (Journeyman)
Simple Athelas Essence Recipe (Journeyman)

---Weaponsmith
Heavy Bronze Dagger Recipe (Apprentice)
Heavy Bronze Headsmans Axe Recipe (Apprentice)
Heavy Bright Steel Halberd Recipe (Expert)
Heavy Bright Steel Sword Recipe (Expert)
Heavy Bright Steel Headsmans Axe Recipe (Expert)

Putting together a GB Fellowship tonight.

10:30 PM EST - lvl 21 to 65

If anyone is interested post up your character name, class and lvl.

Megazell - Hunter - lvl 25

Try to be on time because my time will be limited tonight if not will PUG.

[quote name='Megazell']Putting together a GB Fellowship tonight.

10:30 PM EST - lvl 21 to 65

If anyone is interested post up your character name, class and lvl.

Megazell - Hunter - lvl 25

Try to be on time because my time will be limited tonight if not will PUG.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to get in on that. Will try to get online around that time.

Darkon - Champion - lvl 27

Quantus and I have placed our houses in the Grorsvoll neighborhood in the Dwarven Homestead area. We're making out chests usable by kinship. I'll keep mine open for crafting materials. My house is located nextdoor to the Kinship house in the center at the very top of the hill (1 Highspires). Quantus is behind the merchant up on a little hill, but I don't know his address off hand.

Anyone is welcome to place houses there, the normal ones cost about 1 gold with only a little bit of upkeep. Then you can buy a chest through your housing tab for an extra 30 or 60 slots.

[quote name='Draekon']Quantus and I have placed our houses in the Grorsvoll neighborhood in the Dwarven Homestead area. We're making out chests usable by kinship. I'll keep mine open for crafting materials. My house is located nextdoor to the Kinship house in the center at the very top of the hill (1 Highspires). Quantus is behind the merchant up on a little hill, but I don't know his address off hand.

Anyone is welcome to place houses there, the normal ones cost about 1 gold with only a little bit of upkeep. Then you can buy a chest through your housing tab for an extra 30 or 60 slots.[/QUOTE]

Just gone mine right next to Quantus' house (2 Cloven Crescent). The smaller house only holds one 30-item chest, but I've shared mine with the Kinship and will start putting stuff in there for people to use if they need it.

Couple of pics from our Great Barrows adventure last night. We did all three instances and took down Sambrog. :applause:

ScreenShot00022.jpg

ScreenShot00020.jpg

Awesome. Those pics came out well.

----

As for the houses and storage - What is the most needed things to drop off?

I get a lot of recipes and purple ingredients during my intake..let me know.

Been wanting to join up after I took the time to download this on a painfully slow 768k connection but then my video card fan is dead so I'm using onboard for now -_-

I was thinking of purchasing riding skill to help my alts level faster, but then I remembered that I'd have to purchase horses as well. Damn.

[quote name='Guerrilla']I was thinking of purchasing riding skill to help my alts level faster, but then I remembered that I'd have to purchase horses as well. Damn.[/QUOTE]

Turbine Points for the skill.

In-game currency for the horse.

[quote name='Megazell']Turbine Points for the skill.

In-game currency for the horse.[/QUOTE]
Well yeah, I know, but I don't have the in-game funds to throw horses on my alts. Then again, it may just make sense to purchase them the skill now, then distribute the monies when my main gets more... :)

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on the 200 silver horse...just save up for the 500s horse because the 200 horse is terribly slow and hardly worth the money.

Another option is to level up your main and alts to 20, save up enough money for a horse and then pay for a month of VIP so you can get the riding skill for free and unlock 5 bags for all toons. Best way to get VIP is to buy the MoM CE pack from Amazon for $10, which gets you VIP for 30 days, the MoM Expansion and 500 TPs (as part of your 30 day VIP). Much better deal than buying MoM in-game and lets you use your TP to unlock the Quest Packs for when you aren't VIP.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Well yeah, I know, but I don't have the in-game funds to throw horses on my alts. Then again, it may just make sense to purchase them the skill now, then distribute the monies when my main gets more... :)[/QUOTE]

Are you crafting also?

I've been hitting my 2 G cap since lvl 21. I would wait on crafting for a bit so you can build up the $.

-----
F2P is unable to send money via mail or trade. Are you sub also?

im only level 10 and my inventory keeps filling up every 20 mins, if i get the MoM thing from amazon and get the 1 month free, that means that both the gold cap and the 2 bags of inventory are removed perminantly right? i would like to make this a 100% free game, but if $10 would enhance it that much i think i might have to take it.

[quote name='An J0e']im only level 10 and my inventory keeps filling up every 20 mins, if i get the MoM thing from amazon and get the 1 month free, that means that both the gold cap and the 2 bags of inventory are removed perminantly right? i would like to make this a 100% free game, but if $10 would enhance it that much i think i might have to take it.[/QUOTE]

The extra bags and removal of the gold cap are permanent for any characters that you create and login with at least once before your VIP status expires.

The MoM pack from amazon is sold out, now i think they only have 3rd party sellers who bought them all. Selling for 30+ now.

[quote name='Draekon']This game has leprechauns. ;(

rainbow.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That picture with that caption made me :bouncy:

Crafting Donations:

Quantus - Jewels

Darkon - Hides, Text/Papers

If you need any drops to help with crafting let me know and I will send you want you need as I get it.

I'll update this post with character names and what to send to help remind me.

If you get the following I can use them.

Black Dye and Bow/Cross Bow

Currently - lvl 30 - Hunter - Man.

Edit - I can not send you $ - I would if I could since I am always at the max 2 GP and I have backlog over 18 GP :( - One of the limitations of 'F2P.'

Spend a gold on a house in our kin's neighborhood.

Also, you can buy stuff that vendors for a lot on the auction house to "hold" or "trade" your money.

I've got my main and 3 alts with different crafting focuses so I have all crafting areas covered one degree or another (though most are still at the lower levels). I've described each below along with my current level of mastery as Unlocked Level / Mastery Level (that is, I can create items at the Unlocked Level and am current working on mastering items at the Mastery Level, which means I can use component items at both of these levels).

I'll update later tonight with the rest of the details and which items I can currently use to level up in crafting. For some things I can send you back the crafted items if you'd like so you can auction them off if you want the gold and can get a higher price than the raw items. Otherwise I'll use the goods to level up in the other crafting areas or sell/auction them off to buy additional crafting recipes (which is where most of my coin has gone so far in this game).

Other key ingredients I don't need have been going in my chest in my house which is open to the Kinship for the taking, but if you are putting items in my chest for me to use, please put them at the bottom part of the chest rather than the top.

And if we can put together a list of others that need crafting items I'd be happy to mail the ones I don't need to those people (assuming they want them).

Darkon - Historian (Dwarf Champion)
- Scholar: Master / Artisan- Faded Sindarin Passages, Torn Craftsman Diary, Cracked Dwarf Carving, Ruby Shard, Long-Lost Second Age Text
- Weaponsmith: Journeyman / Expert - Need Rich Iron Ingots, High Grade Steel Ingots, Sapphire
- Farmer: Supreme / Supreme - Done, but looking for recipes not sold at Hobbiton Vendor (Strawberries?)

Gedric - Armourer (Hobbit Minstrel)
- Metalsmith: Expert / Journeyman - Bronze Ingots (or Copper Ore and Tin Ore and I can make Bronze Ingots)
- Prospector: Expert / Journeyman - Barrow Iron Ore, Silver Ore, Lump of Coal, Gold Ore, Rich Iron Ore
- Tailor: Journeyman / Apprentice - Medium, Sturdy Pieces of Leather (or Hides), Crit Ingreditents (Fibres)

Darkoff - Tinker(Human Warden)
- Jeweler: Journeyman / Apprentice - Agate, Amythyst, Copper Ingot/Ore, Gray Rock Salt, Bloodstone, Opal, Silver Ore/Ingot, Sapphire Shard
- Cooking: Apprentice / Apprentice - Mainly just looking for recipes that are hard to find
- Prospector: Apprentice / Apprentice - Don't need much since Gedric is my main prospector

Elric - Woodsman (Elf Rune-Keeper)
- Forester: Expert / Journeyman - Medium Hides, Sturdy Hides, Logs of Ash, Logs of Yew, any other logs
- Woodworker: Apprentice / Apprentice - Treated Rowan wood
- Farmer: Apprentice / Apprentice - Not leveling up this area since Darkon (my main) already has this skill

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI...(Wishing I wasn't on VIP at the moment so I could buy these and have them later)

75% off Select Quest Packs!

Oct 13, 2010 04:00 EST
75% off Lone-lands, North Downs & Evendim Quest Packs! Sale ends at Midnight Eastern, 10/13! 24 Hour Quest Pack Sale!

Plus, for $49.99 you can get 6,900 TPs (for a limited time)....that's a pretty good way to get a LOT of stuff you can only get with TPs, especially if you are willing to wait until a deal like this one comes along where the discount is 75% rather than just 20% like the more recent deals. While $49.99 isn't free, it is still a pretty good deal since you can probably get both of the expansions and nearly all of the Quest Packs and Skirmishes (if you get them on sale).

If you aren't going to pay for VIP, this is another good way to get the most out of the game for a low price.

Gonna be offline for a weekish due to my wedding and other related festivities today. I'll be back soon!

[quote name='MBENNE']Gonna be offline for a weekish due to my wedding and other related festivities today. I'll be back soon![/QUOTE]

Congrats on getting married! We'll be here when you get back so take your time and enjoy the honeymoon :whistle2:D

Alright, so I finally got off my ass and ACTUALLY played for a couple hours tonight. I bought $5 D2D Starter Pack and a retail Mines of Moria copy, played for an hour and then got distracted by Reach, Dead Rising 2, Medal of Honor and work. I had a month of VIP access and I wasted it.

Couple of questions. Are there hobbies that are better for particular classes? What would be a good hobby for a hunter? Or does it not really matter at all? I remember reading something about the riding skill earlier in the thread, do you earn the riding skill faster when you have VIP access or does that not make a difference in how quickly you earn that skill?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Alright, so I finally got off my ass and ACTUALLY played for a couple hours tonight. I bought $5 D2D Starter Pack and a retail Mines of Moria copy, played for an hour and then got distracted by Reach, Dead Rising 2, Medal of Honor and work. I had a month of VIP access and I wasted it.

Couple of questions. Are there hobbies that are better for particular classes? What would be a good hobby for a hunter? Or does it not really matter at all? I remember reading something about the riding skill earlier in the thread, do you earn the riding skill faster when you have VIP access or does that not make a difference in how quickly you earn that skill?[/QUOTE]

If you are VIP, you can obtain the Riding Skill at Lvl 20 through a quest. Without VIP, I think you have to purchase the Riding Skill with TPs, which can be done anytime after Level 5 I believe (with or without VIP). Unfortunately, you just missed the 75% TP discount on the riding skill they were offering a week or so ago, so it is back up to full price.

Of course, a horse will still cost you 500 silver (while you can get a 200 silver horse I would recommend agains it because it is only marginally faster than running) so you may not be able to afford a horse until you get near level 20 anyway.

As far as "hobbies", I assume you mean vocations and crafting skills (there is a hobby, but the only one available now is Fishing). Not sure if there are some better than others for different classes, but each vocation opens up 3 different crafting skills (though there is some overlap of crafting skills between vocations). For the 3 crafting areas opened up by choosing a vocation, there is usually one that you can progress on by yourself, one that requires items produced by other crafting areas (some of which you can sometimes produce yourself) and one that allows you to produce items used by other crafting areas.

For example, my Historian vocation opens up Scholar, Farming and Weaponsmith crafting.

I can level up in Farming just by buying ingredients and recipes and I can create items by Farming that I can use for Scholar crafting and to sell to Cooks and others.

I can level up Scholar by finding items using my Scolar skills, but some recipes also require ingredients created by Farming.

I can only level up in Weaponsmithing by buying ingredients needed for these recipes (such as metal ingots) from people that have the Prospecting crafting skill.

If you look at the Kin members online you'll see a variety of difference choices so we should have a good balance of people in each crafting area that willl be able to help each other produce the items we need.

I don't think VIP lets you level up in crafting any faster directly, but higher levels of crafting will likely require access to areas of the game that might benefit from having VIP access and you'll probably level up faster (non-crafting) by having VIP access (which also gives you bonus experience earning rates for the time you are offline).

[quote name='DarkonJohn']If you are VIP, you can obtain the Riding Skill at Lvl 20 through a quest. Without VIP, I think you have to purchase the Riding Skill with TPs, which can be done anytime after Level 5 I believe (with or without VIP). Unfortunately, you just missed the 75% TP discount on the riding skill they were offering a week or so ago, so it is back up to full price.

Of course, a horse will still cost you 500 silver (while you can get a 200 silver horse I would recommend agains it because it is only marginally faster than running) so you may not be able to afford a horse until you get near level 20 anyway.

As far as "hobbies", I assume you mean vocations and crafting skills (there is a hobby, but the only one available now is Fishing). Not sure if there are some better than others for different classes, but each vocation opens up 3 different crafting skills (though there is some overlap of crafting skills between vocations). For the 3 crafting areas opened up by choosing a vocation, there is usually one that you can progress on by yourself, one that requires items produced by other crafting areas (some of which you can sometimes produce yourself) and one that allows you to produce items used by other crafting areas.

For example, my Historian vocation opens up Scholar, Farming and Weaponsmith crafting.

I can level up in Farming just by buying ingredients and recipes and I can create items by Farming that I can use for Scholar crafting and to sell to Cooks and others.

I can level up Scholar by finding items using my Scolar skills, but some recipes also require ingredients created by Farming.

I can only level up in Weaponsmithing by buying ingredients needed for these recipes (such as metal ingots) from people that have the Prospecting crafting skill.

If you look at the Kin members online you'll see a variety of difference choices so we should have a good balance of people in each crafting area that willl be able to help each other produce the items we need.

I don't think VIP lets you level up in crafting any faster directly, but higher levels of crafting will likely require access to areas of the game that might benefit from having VIP access and you'll probably level up faster (non-crafting) by having VIP access (which also gives you bonus experience earning rates for the time you are offline).[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's pretty in-depth. The game has done NOTHING to explain any of that to me. I want to pick something because I'm getting just tons of ingredients for stuff, and it's starting to fill my bags up. I just don't know what to choose.

Damn! I should have started playing a while ago then so I could have gotten the riding skill for cheap. Oh well, I guess I'll just earn it the normal way.

Oh, and I'm out of the introduction area now (I stopped playing when I was still in there, so I wasn't able to be added), so could I be invited to the kinship? Rodhir, Elf Hunter.

The Fall Festivel isn't bad. I received the title "the Sinister" for doing the drinking quest for the Ale Association. Also went through the Haunted Burrow and finished all those quests (Which can get on your nerves after a while).

Getting a festival mount will cost you 1.6 gold and there are two to choose from. There are some other cool things like the cloak. Since the servers are down for maintenance I can't post pictures, but I will edit them in later. Although I do have a picture of what it's like to be drunk in the game (which will happen to you if you do the Inn League or Ale Association quests):

drunk.jpg

^ Looks like what happens to you when you have the ales of the shire. I found it awesome that they give your Turbine Points for drinking in all of the bars/taverns of that zone.

[quote name='Draekon']The Fall Festivel isn't bad. I received the title "the Sinister" for doing the drinking quest for the Ale Association. Also went through the Haunted Burrow and finished all those quests (Which can get on your nerves after a while).

Getting a festival mount will cost you 1.6 gold and there are two to choose from. There are some other cool things like the cloak. Since the servers are down for maintenance I can't post pictures, but I will edit them in later. Although I do have a picture of what it's like to be drunk in the game (which will happen to you if you do the Inn League or Ale Association quests):

drunk.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeha, I did the quest for the Inn League which involved drinking 6 beers at something like 8 or 9 different Inns. My vision was getting VERY fuzzy.

I'd really like to get the Skeleton Painted horse...is there anything you need do other than pay the coin, or do you need to win some of those horse races I read about?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']
Damn! I should have started playing a while ago then so I could have gotten the riding skill for cheap. Oh well, I guess I'll just earn it the normal way.

Oh, and I'm out of the introduction area now (I stopped playing when I was still in there, so I wasn't able to be added), so could I be invited to the kinship? Rodhir, Elf Hunter.[/QUOTE]

I think you may still be able to get the Riding Skill at the discounted rate today and maybe tomorrow, but not much longer.

Also, I can add you to the Kin if you send me an tell when you are online and I'm online also. Just add Darkon to your friend list and I'll keep an eye out for ya.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I'd really like to get the Skeleton Painted horse...is there anything you need do other than pay the coin, or do you need to win some of those horse races I read about?[/QUOTE]

I don't know of any skeleton painted horse. The two festival horses I know of require 12 tokens, 1 horse token (from winning a race), and 1.6g to purchase something that to buy the horse.

I've also seen a Raven Cloak and Mask but haven't found out where to get those yet.

EDIT: Here's the standard fall festival cape:

lotrocape.jpg

[quote name='Draekon']I don't know of any skeleton painted horse. The two festival horses I know of require 12 tokens, 1 horse token (from winning a race), and 1.6g to purchase something that to buy the horse.

I've also seen a Raven Cloak and Mask but haven't found out where to get those yet.

EDIT: Here's the standard fall festival cape:

lotrocape.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Nice cloak!

I was reading that the Skeleton Painted horse is a rare drop from one of the chests in the haunted house, but I'm not sure if there are any prerequisites to get the drop. Actually, the drop gives you a letter which gives you a quest to get the horse. Here's a pic of the horse: http://lotroimages.akamai.lotro.com/images/morfeoshow/fall_festiva-4204/big/fall_festival2.jpg

For the masks, I think you need to do the "Trick" quests. I tried doing one, but I couldn't figure out how to complete the quest. You are supposed to walk around Hobbitown or Bree and do the right pranks on certain people. I found some people that had the blue "quest in progress" symbol above their heads, but I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do and all of the prank items I had on me had no effect when I tried to use them.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']For the masks, I think you need to do the "Trick" quests. I tried doing one, but I couldn't figure out how to complete the quest. You are supposed to walk around Hobbitown or Bree and do the right pranks on certain people. I found some people that had the blue "quest in progress" symbol above their heads, but I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do and all of the prank items I had on me had no effect when I tried to use them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the only way I figured out what emote to do to which person in Duillond was to basically watch other players do it. They questgiver said the NPCs would give you a clue on what you're supposed to do but I never saw anything like that.

Also, the riding skill is on sale for 48 points! Wow! Does that character then have that skill forever when bought?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Also, the riding skill is on sale for 48 points! Wow! Does that character then have that skill forever when bought?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe that once bought, you keep the riding skill and you don't need VIP to use it. But if you want it, I believe today is the last day of the 75% off deal and then it goes back to full price (at least until the next time it goes on sale).

bread's done
Back