CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

[quote name='ced']I changed my regime to 1 hour of biking 4 times a week, and an "improved" diet of no regular soda and better choices when getting fast food. I have cut down to 179 lbs, down from 196 a mere two months ago. I'm pretty stoked to be down to a weight I haven't seen since in at least 6 years (31 now). On my 5'7" frame, there's definitely more to be lost.[/QUOTE]
Dude, that's pretty awesome. Now you can fit into your out-of-style clothing again. That's my goal!:D

edit: I actually had my first can of soda in maybe 2 months yesterday, and it was HORRIBLE. It made me wonder why I was chugging that stuff when I was younger.

[quote name='dohdough']Dude, that's pretty awesome. Now you can fit into your out-of-style clothing again. That's my goal!:D

edit: I actually had my first can of soda in maybe 2 months yesterday, and it was HORRIBLE. It made me wonder why I was chugging that stuff when I was younger.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had some of my old clothes, especially pants. I've had to wear a belt with work slacks that were snug on me mere weeks ago.

I've found that I can't slam down a large Pepsi like I could pre diet change. Anything more than 20 ounces just hurts.

[quote name='Javery']Soda is so disgusting once you quit.[/QUOTE]

Been 2 months, but damn I still crave mountain dew code red from time to time.

Just read this "I went for a run but came back home after 2 minutes because I forgot something. I forgot that I'm fat and can't run for more than 2 minutes." and couldn't help but think of this thread lol.

Also, I love soda but stopped drinking anything with caffeine in it :(

[quote name='opterasis']Been 2 months, but damn I still crave mountain dew code red from time to time.[/QUOTE]
It's kinda like smoking. The few times I started back up again after "quiting," I kinda realized how disgusting they are, but the urge never truly goes away. Nature of addiction I guess.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Just read this "I went for a run but came back home after 2 minutes because I forgot something. I forgot that I'm fat and can't run for more than 2 minutes." and couldn't help but think of this thread lol.

Also, I love soda but stopped drinking anything with caffeine in it :([/QUOTE]
HAHA...that's me!

I try to stay away from caffeine too, but it never really helped me that much...probably because I don't like coffee. I do drink tea when I go to an Asian restaurant though.

When I want a soda fix, I usually just grab some seltzer and occasionally, I'll cut it with juice. It's a pretty good substitute.

What's up everyone? I took a break from the diet when I got down to 220lbs from 300lbs. I want to get down to 200 before the end of the year. Figure it would be a good weight if I want to snowboard this year. Found my old roller blades and have been using those in addition to walking and the fake bowflex. Weighed in at 220 this morning so I have maintained and not gained any weight back.

I promised progress pics a month ago and finally got around to emptying my SD card on to the PC.

Here is my progress collage. I really should clean the toothpaste off the mirror before taking pics :D
zWoge.jpg
The brown belt is from when I was 10 years old and has not fit me since pretty much when I was that age. Think I am going to start Tae Kwon Do again.

Bonus Pic for Halloween
FJjc0.jpg
Forgot I had a full length mirror in my house. Should have used it for tracking progress this whole time.

Super late to the party, and nothing major to really report. I started running back in July and have kept it up at least once a week since then (barring once a few weeks ago where I was sick). I used to run long distance as a kid for fun, and sort of have done it off and on since then, but it's fallen off in recent years.

Since moving to Austin at the beginning of summer, I've taken it back up. There's a huge running scene here and it's immensely encouraging to go to a trail and see dozens of runners of all skill levels and speeds hoofin' it up and down trails. A big bonus is that these are riverside, so you get lush greenery, shade, and well defined paths. This is especially important in the summer, when the heat alone is horrid.

Been doing a 3.1 mile course (just shy of a 5K). When I started, the first attempts took multiple walking sessions and lasted 43 minutes. Since then, I've gotten back into a rhythm and turned it into a straight run. My best time now is 26:21. I have a goal of sub-25 minutes before the end of the year, and want to get to that even earlier. December 2nd is the Jingle Bell Run, which I ran as a kid twice. My time as an eleven year old was 20:35, which is sub-7 minute miles. Getting under 25 for that would be a huge thing for me; just under five weeks to go to shave off another minute.

There's multiple trails you can go on. Unfortunately with the shorter days and less light, the earliest I can get there is around 6:45 PM after work. This all depends on traffic, and generally it's very dark by then, so it's more dangerous to run since you can roll an ankle easily if you aren't paying attention. At any rate, I can get there earlier on the weekend, so I arrived with plenty of time for light, and decided to run the 4.2 mile course. I finished in 36 flat, so 9 minute miles. I can push that harder, but didn't want to overdo it on the first attempt. It didn't wind/hurt me as much as I predicted, which also makes me think I could push a really strong three mile run the next time I head out.

The ultimate goal is to run a marathon, which I'd like to think I could do by this time next year.

I haven't gotten into a schedule of working out in between the runs; I tend to always push harder each time I run, which leaves me pretty sore. But I'm going to start working in some weight lifting and elliptical stuff in between the runs. I do push ups occasionally; went from 25 to 40 per set when I do them, but not doing them near enough.

Diet hasn't really changed much; I could be doing much better there. I drink sugary tea a bit too much; trying to offset this with more water, less sugar in the tea, and more juices. Also need to find some recipes for healthier cooking, hopefully for a slow cooker, so I could set everything up in the morning and be ready when I get home.

I was at 194 or so when I started running; yesterday I was at 184. Not a huge loss, but something to be proud of. Running has turned into a massively positive aspect of life right now, and I'm remembering all the runner's highs and other endorphin induced euphorias that I got drunk on as a kid.

If I had a good place to cycle and swim, I'd think about triathlons. But one step at a time right now.

There's a zombie run 5K in December that my company is sponsoring employees for; not sure if I'm going to do that or not. Would rather take the entry fee (around $40 even after the half the company pays) and buy running clothes. But eh.

Good luck to everyone in this thread; it feels nice to think that I can post in here with a legitimate reason.

That's pretty sweet man, nothing like being able to do something active while being able to see the actual results (better times and a better body looking back at you in the mirror). Elliptical will be a nice change of pace, its a lot easier on your knees too :) ps, don't try being another 83 in here and never lift weights!10 pounds imo is something to be proud of. Too many people look for high weight loss gains right off the bat when they should be gradually changing their lifestyle and weight at the same time. Ten pounds in 3 months is a very healthy weight loss, it means you aren't losing too fast and most likely are going to keep it off.If I was you I'd rather have the cash to buy runnings clothes as well. I understand some people want to compete in races but I've never had the desire to pay to run/bike outside. I can just as easily use google to map my own route.PS, swimming is the devil. But in Javery's case, he can just go in the backyard now.

[quote name='Strell']Super late to the party, and nothing major to really report. I started running back in July and have kept it up at least once a week since then (barring once a few weeks ago where I was sick). I used to run long distance as a kid for fun, and sort of have done it off and on since then, but it's fallen off in recent years.

Since moving to Austin at the beginning of summer, I've taken it back up. There's a huge running scene here and it's immensely encouraging to go to a trail and see dozens of runners of all skill levels and speeds hoofin' it up and down trails. A big bonus is that these are riverside, so you get lush greenery, shade, and well defined paths. This is especially important in the summer, when the heat alone is horrid.

Been doing a 3.1 mile course (just shy of a 5K). When I started, the first attempts took multiple walking sessions and lasted 43 minutes. Since then, I've gotten back into a rhythm and turned it into a straight run. My best time now is 26:21. I have a goal of sub-25 minutes before the end of the year, and want to get to that even earlier. December 2nd is the Jingle Bell Run, which I ran as a kid twice. My time as an eleven year old was 20:35, which is sub-7 minute miles. Getting under 25 for that would be a huge thing for me; just under five weeks to go to shave off another minute.

There's multiple trails you can go on. Unfortunately with the shorter days and less light, the earliest I can get there is around 6:45 PM after work. This all depends on traffic, and generally it's very dark by then, so it's more dangerous to run since you can roll an ankle easily if you aren't paying attention. At any rate, I can get there earlier on the weekend, so I arrived with plenty of time for light, and decided to run the 4.2 mile course. I finished in 36 flat, so 9 minute miles. I can push that harder, but didn't want to overdo it on the first attempt. It didn't wind/hurt me as much as I predicted, which also makes me think I could push a really strong three mile run the next time I head out.

The ultimate goal is to run a marathon, which I'd like to think I could do by this time next year.

I haven't gotten into a schedule of working out in between the runs; I tend to always push harder each time I run, which leaves me pretty sore. But I'm going to start working in some weight lifting and elliptical stuff in between the runs. I do push ups occasionally; went from 25 to 40 per set when I do them, but not doing them near enough.

Diet hasn't really changed much; I could be doing much better there. I drink sugary tea a bit too much; trying to offset this with more water, less sugar in the tea, and more juices. Also need to find some recipes for healthier cooking, hopefully for a slow cooker, so I could set everything up in the morning and be ready when I get home.

I was at 194 or so when I started running; yesterday I was at 184. Not a huge loss, but something to be proud of. Running has turned into a massively positive aspect of life right now, and I'm remembering all the runner's highs and other endorphin induced euphorias that I got drunk on as a kid.

If I had a good place to cycle and swim, I'd think about triathlons. But one step at a time right now.

There's a zombie run 5K in December that my company is sponsoring employees for; not sure if I'm going to do that or not. Would rather take the entry fee (around $40 even after the half the company pays) and buy running clothes. But eh.

Good luck to everyone in this thread; it feels nice to think that I can post in here with a legitimate reason.[/QUOTE]

Sounds great so far, Strell. I highlighted the one thing I think you should watch out for. Definitely make sure the juices aren't loaded with sugar and other junk. (So many juices *look* healthy, even when they aren't.)

25:18 today.

Rig: What are some healthy juices? I usually never bother with any unless it's 100% juice, but I'm not sure that's actually any good.

[quote name='Strell']25:18 today.

Rig: What are some healthy juices? I usually never bother with any unless it's 100% juice, but I'm not sure that's actually any good.[/QUOTE]

I tend to stay away from juice and just eat the fruit, since it fills you up more and you also get to enjoy it longer. If I drink juice I go for carrot though

Sandy is killing me. Just hit the 1 week mark without working out and I probably have another week to go before the power comes on. Staying at my parents' house and my mother keeps making awesome food. Ugh.

Our thoughts are with you and everyone affected by Sandy. We were fortunate in PA for the most part, but I saw the pictures of NY and NJ...makes me thankful!

Stay Strong...I'll run a few laps for you!

Thread got quiet! Everyone keeping at it?

I went to the Bod Pod the day before Thanksgiving. I was 164.5 pounds with 9.1% body fat. But, like I figured, I wasn't/am not eating enough calories to gain. (I need to be consuming around 3,500; I have been eating 3,000 daily since September 4.)
Workouts have been steady and strong.

Still maintaing the weight range, although I have been feeling sluggish...I think it's my diet. Too much junk food, not enough real food. Besaides the 2 days a week playing basketball, my exercise routine in non-existant.

Here's the wagon

I'm down here!

Holy Balls, Page 4 of the Off Topic Fourm, first post since November and it was mine?!?!?

Where'd everybody go, Denny's?

For me, I'm back at the gym 2 days a week. That, coupled with 2 days of basketball, should be enough to keep me relatively fit. I stopped lifting too, as it seemed to make me feel more hungry all the time.

Still in my comfort zone, but admittedly the high-end. Nothing that 2 weeks of Weight Watchers Points can't fix. Just need to get in that mindset.

How is everyone else?

I'm still good, and yeah, it's kinda sad to see this thread has fallen off.

Still three days at the gym per week. Bulking until the end of February. Sitting right now at 177 pounds, and prolly 12-13% bodyfat. Making good gains while I bulk, that's for sure.

Ugh. Back to the grind probably Monday. Took a planned 2 weeks off from the gym for the holidays (traveling most of it) and it turned into 3 since I've been sick. I feel like ass but if I can get going hard core again by mid-January I'll be fine. I'm probably looking at end of February to get back to where I was mid-December. Dammit.

Ok so I sprung up about 15-18 lbs after my daughter was born and then I had gallbladder surgery and just can't seem to find the right program to get on.

I officiate high school and college basketball which burns a shit ton of calories and do these games about three times a week. I'm not a terrible eater (no whoppers, Big Macs etc) I just snack a lot on small things... Gum, hard candy etc

My wife and I eat quick meals at home but can't really seem to find a diet or time t make a healthy meal because of our daughter. Any ideas? Help!

Signed

Winter Weight in WV

I'm still here!!

It's amazing looking at the op how much I changed in two years. I went from wanting to lose 20 pounds to gaining 20 pounds and feeling awesome.

I did strong lifts for 11 months then took one month off. Decided it was time to change things up.

I started the Ed Coan program for squatting, deadlifting and benching. It's a 14 week progression. I'll post my results at the end...I'm in week 3 now.

752D2669-7ED8-44BE-A7C8-7CC5C1B81CA9-3733-000001DE2D159EC3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I came up with and started doing a plan to lose 50 pounds in 50 weeks. It's been 41 weeks and I've lost 35 pounds so far. I'm running behind and at this point I know I'll hit my goal after the 50 week mark, but I'm still pretty happy with my progress. I started a new thread about my plan a couple days ago (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10386699), but per perdition(troy's suggestion I figured I'd join in with you guys on this thread too. So, hello!

[quote name='abilyk']Last year I came up with and started doing a plan to lose 50 pounds in 50 weeks. It's been 41 weeks and I've lost 35 pounds so far. I'm running behind and at this point I know I'll hit my goal after the 50 week mark, but I'm still pretty happy with my progress. I started a new thread about my plan a couple days ago (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10386699), but per perdition(troy's suggestion I figured I'd join in with you guys on this thread too. So, hello![/QUOTE]

I would like to propose two extra steps for your plan:

1. Add simple weightlifting routine
2. Beast mode, engage.

Also, welcome to the best thread on CAG. :D

Alright guys... I'm back into it this week. My diet for the next 6-8 weeks (started Monday) is going to be:

- egg whites, 2 slices of fat free ham and an apple for breakfast (~250 calories)
- a tuna salad (greens, tomatos and cucumbers with a serving of dry tuna on top) for lunch (~400 calories)
- apple for snack (~80 calories)
- banana for snack (~200 calories [this is shocking])

So that's about 1,000 calories give or take going into dinner which is almost impossible to regulate other than having 1 helping. I have to think I'm hitting 500 calories there easy. My wife cooks healthy but a grilled chicken taco or turkey meatloaf is still going to have calories. I drink a ton of water (exclusively). I don't know how people get by on 1,500 calories a day.

Anyway I was reading up on Raspberry Ketone. Has anyone tried it? I'm thinking of picking up a bottle at lunch today and trying it out. Fat loss with no side effects sounds too good to be true.

[quote name='Javery']Anyway I was reading up on Raspberry Ketone. Has anyone tried it? I'm thinking of picking up a bottle at lunch today and trying it out. Fat loss with no side effects sounds too good to be true.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you answered your own question.

[quote name='Allnatural']Sounds like you answered your own question.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried it? I'm definitely skeptical but one of these days some fatty scientist nerd is going to figure this out, right??? Even if it just makes you feel full as advertised that would be a help.

[quote name='Javery']Alright guys... I'm back into it this week. My diet for the next 6-8 weeks (started Monday) is going to be:

- egg whites, 2 slices of fat free ham and an apple for breakfast (~250 calories)
- a tuna salad (greens, tomatos and cucumbers with a serving of dry tuna on top) for lunch (~400 calories)
- apple for snack (~80 calories)
- banana for snack (~200 calories [this is shocking])

So that's about 1,000 calories give or take going into dinner which is almost impossible to regulate other than having 1 helping. I have to think I'm hitting 500 calories there easy. My wife cooks healthy but a grilled chicken taco or turkey meatloaf is still going to have calories. I drink a ton of water (exclusively). I don't know how people get by on 1,500 calories a day.

Anyway I was reading up on Raspberry Ketone. Has anyone tried it? I'm thinking of picking up a bottle at lunch today and trying it out. Fat loss with no side effects sounds too good to be true.[/QUOTE]

How about replacing those fruit snacks with veggies snacks. You're getting a lot of sugar on your current schedule. Also, are you sure that's enough calories? I guess it's dependent on dinner.

Also, as an example of a 1500 calorie day on my end...

Breakfast- 3 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, 1 slice provolone

Lunch - 8oz of chicken, 3 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, 1.5 slices of provolone (was in a rush this morning so I just made double breakfast)

Dinner- 8oz of chicken, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 2 cups broccoli.

Snack - whey scoop, creatine, multivitamin.

That puts me at 1500 calories, 72g of fat, 21g of carbs, 205g of protein and only 7g of sugar.

If I get hungry later I'll probably have some almonds.

I can give up the bananas (not crazy about them) but I don't think I can swap out the apples/grapes/pears/whatever for vegetables without making myself miserable.

I'll also save on calories from not eating creatine (I get gigantic in about 10 seconds on that stuff, which is not the look I'm going for). I agree that the sugar from the fruit isn't ideal but I don't think I can function without it.

I wish creatine did something for me. Well, I'm sure it's doing something...but I don't really get the "swole" look.

IMO, 1,500 calories for an adult male under most every circumstance is probably too few calories. When I was 168 or so pounds, my approximate RMR was 1,717. That's how many calories a day I was burning "doing nothing but functioning". If you're doing any sort of cardio and strength training, you're going to be burning off well into the 2,000's everyday. (I've never been on a cut with less than 2,005 calories a day, and I was always losing weight.)

I absolutely definitely recommend getting in a Bod Pod. It's very affordable, and, pretty darn accurate. (Immersion is the most accurate, but, I believe it's considerably more expensive.) A Bod Pod trip can give you a very good estimate of your RMR, current weight and body fat %...and those numbers will help you determine what a good caloric intake number would be.

OK, so I'm probably not getting enough calories... I've been doing cardio only in the mornings for a solid hour (35 minutes running at 8.5 on treadmill and 25 minutes on the elliptical) and I'm so tired at the end of the day I can barely stay up past 9 p.m. I'm only pushing myself for the "first" 2 weeks (not really the first week since I only I took 4 weeks off) to get my body used to eating less. I really slipped over the holidays - I drank alcohol 2 nights around New Year's and I was pretty much eating whatever was being served without thinking about it. Ugh.

I'll probably step it up to my "normal" 2,000 calorie diet beginning in February (assuming I don't pass out or anything from lack of food). Insanity starts again on Monday so I'll need the extra fuel anyway. I feel pretty good right now and getting in fighting shape by end of March shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='Allnatural']You still lifting Javery? Please don't neglect the weights.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. Not right now since I never do it during a "jump start" or whatever you want to call it when I take 2-3 weeks to "get back into it". I will be starting up next Monday again. I only do light lifting for about 20-30 minutes 4 times a week anyway. Enough to keep some definition without bulking.

Nothing? I was trying to make a good workout playlist for my iPod but the new iTunes is a pain in the ass for that. It now automatically opens up each album you are on so all of the songs are displayed so you can only see about 5 covers at a time. Boo.

Tomorrow Insanity starts. I didn't go this morning because I forgot it was a holiday. I had to get the kids to school and stuff plus the gym opened late.

[quote name='Javery']Guys, I need some new workout music (a mix). Anyone got any suggestions like a song list (or maybe a dropbox link hahaha)?[/QUOTE]

Well, what are your interests? Pearl Jam? Dubstep? Showtunes? Nickelback? Baroque?

Gotta have something to work with.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, what are your interests? Pearl Jam? Dubstep? Showtunes? Nickelback? Baroque?

Gotta have something to work with.[/QUOTE]

Hard rock/metal works best for me when I'm working out. And I mean real metal not the death/black/doom nonsense the kids are into these days. It's tough though - there needs to be some sick drumming and a fast tempo. I mean, Alice in Chains kick ass but there's no way I could workout to them. For some reason Enema of the State and From Under the Cork Tree get a lot of plays at the gym but never anywhere else. Something to be said for 3 minute pop/rock songs I guess.

Here's some of my gym playlist:

Bullet For My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire
Papa Roach - Blood Brothers
Senses Fail - Can't Be Saved
Saliva - Click Click Boom
Alexisonfire - This Could Be Anywhere in the World
Three Days Grace - This Animal I Have Become
Skillet - Monster
Four Year Strong - Not To Toot My Own Horn But BEEP BEEP
Buckcherry - Lit Up
A Day To Remember - You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic

[quote name='Javery']Hard rock/metal works best for me when I'm working out. And I mean real metal not the death/black/doom nonsense the kids are into these days. It's tough though - there needs to be some sick drumming and a fast tempo. I mean, Alice in Chains kick ass but there's no way I could workout to them. For some reason Enema of the State and From Under the Cork Tree get a lot of plays at the gym but never anywhere else. Something to be said for 3 minute pop/rock songs I guess.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn4QsRmm6Y0

Tell me what you think of this. If it's too "death/black/doom" (even if I do listen to a lot of that, I've always been dreadful with subgenres) for you, I'll try a different angle. If this appears to be a winner, we can build from there.

[quote name='Javery']Hard rock/metal works best for me when I'm working out. And I mean real metal not the death/black/doom nonsense the kids are into these days. It's tough though - there needs to be some sick drumming and a fast tempo. I mean, Alice in Chains kick ass but there's no way I could workout to them. For some reason Enema of the State and From Under the Cork Tree get a lot of plays at the gym but never anywhere else. Something to be said for 3 minute pop/rock songs I guess.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbLdPBsH0q0

Quick, to the point, and is pretty old school in its approach but the vocals may be too death metally for you. A good deal of Vader's stuff has blast beats, but if you can manage, here's another high quality song that may fit your needs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITqiIgIeQtI

Here's some high quality thrash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8b1dxlyeI

Didn't care for Firestorm (this actually seemed like a slow song as strange as it sounds with the chuga-chuga guitar riff) or Destruction. Vader was sick except the vocals which I can't get past. So many awesome bands are ruined by awful vocals, IMO...

Back on topic - Insanity Day 2 tomorrow. Ugh.

My nemesis was at the gym this morning. This girl works out to her own routine that looks like Insanity except she is doing everything with weights. She is in crazy shape and it is depressing to have to be in the same room with her when I can't even keep up with the videos. My life's mission is to destroy her with my awesome fitness power.

[quote name='Javery']My nemesis was at the gym this morning. This girl works out to her own routine that looks like Insanity except she is doing everything with weights. She is in crazy shape and it is depressing to have to be in the same room with her when I can't even keep up with the videos. My life's mission is to destroy her with my awesome fitness power.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd go the sabotage route of supplying Donuts and Deep Fried Food products. Leave them for her by her locker.

I've lost 8 lbs over the past week because I got the Flu...Half of my current quick goal is achieved. If anything positive came about from feeling like Death Incarnate, this is it.

bread's done
Back