CAG Maintenance/Upgrade - Now Live!

I feel like it went too dark...
Everywhere? Or specifically in posts? If I recall I tried to keep the background of posts more or less the same, although it was a long while back when I made those changes on the test server.

Gonna have to disagree quite a bit
Different font, slightly less padding, colour tweaks, but absolutely nothing in the forums to make it more mobile friendly. The forums still switch to the same mobile style as before. (Curious to see how things are different on your end.) If the font looks smaller to you both now, we're definitely not looking at the same thing.

Along with a screenshot, could you send over browser info? Version number, OS, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing happens when I hit the notifications or messages button at the bar going across the top on the mobile site (drop down menus should become visible). It was working when the update first went live, however when I had my iPhone in portrait mode, the drop down lists were too far to the left, so half of it was cut off.

Nothing happens when I hit the notifications or messages button at the bar going across the top on the mobile site (drop down menus should become visible). It was working when the update first went live, however when I had my iPhone in portrait mode, the drop down lists were too far to the left, so half of it was cut off.
Ah, good find. Working on it.

Here's my feedback so far:

1) The fonts did get smaller for me.  Only checking on my work PC for the moment (Win 8.1, Firefox 35.0.1) and the font is definitely smaller.  Not an issue for me, as I'm OK with the change, though on my 1080p monitor, it's a noticeable change.  Will try some other browsers later and see if it's browser specific.

2) Site performance seems faster to me, at least so far.

3) I like the newer navigation bar, as it's cleaner, tighter and easier to select sections of the site.

4) I don't see the color difference in the "tiny bit darker", though I'd be OK with slightly darker.  It does seem a little more noticeable now that I look at the mini-editior bar at the top.

Everywhere? Or specifically in posts? If I recall I tried to keep the background of posts more or less the same, although it was a long while back when I made those changes on the test server.
As I'm using it right now, it feels like the whole site is too dark. It was fine for me before today's update. In order for the site to be usable, I have to increase the brightness. I guess this is minor since it only takes me a few seconds to do this.

Another minor thing:  In the Twitter panel, the time between when the tweet was posted and the present time is not visible (ex. 3 hrs.)

Also, when searching for a game in the database to add to my collection, if I use a colon after any word (ex. trying to search for Halo: The Master Chief Collection), when I enter Halo:, it says "Unexpected HTTP status: 500 Internal Server Error".  This was also present before the update.

Ok, I change what I said, I do agree that the changes were minor, but, the minor changes add up to a lesser visual experience IMO. If performance is better, that's great, but visually, it's much worse, again IMO

I just wanted to reiterate that a key byproduct of this update is the ability for John to make changes on the fly on the live servers, which was a major shortcoming of the previous version.  Look for a lot of improvements coming fast and often.

Mac OSX 10.7.5 with Firefox 35.0.1.

24" LCD monitor

What I see for font and color.  I do think the font got smaller...and those quotes are pretty dang small.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-29%20at%2010.58.03%20AM_zpssysrtp0n.png

The main forum page is where I have the main issue with the font size, as you can see that the thread titles of recent post in each section of the forums are much, much smaller now, and I have to either move my face up to the screen, or squint a little to see it properly, which is definitely worse than before.

Inside each thread there doesn't seem to be a problem, but outside of the thread, looking at the layout, that is where the majority of the problems with text size is occurring for me, and makes it fairly more difficult to navigate from my perspective.

I am using Firefox 35.0.1, OS is Windows 7 platform.

Here are the screenshots of the forum layouts,

SS.png

SS2.png

Also, did you look into the updating feature of new posts being posted while you're typing up a post, and not actually updating it after pressing the button?  The feature may have been disabled as I don't see it popping up right now as I was typing this post, and there were several posts while I was typing this post.

But yes, the font in general just feel way too small now, in some ares the effects are more apparent, but some others it may not, but there are more areas that I've noticed where the font is smaller than there aren't, and it just seems that most parts where the font is not smaller are only because the bold seems to be stronger now, but when words are not bolded it seems to be incredibly small now, so not sure if that was by design or not, but I definitely notice the difference.

The main forum page is where I have the main issue with the font size, as you can see that the thread titles of recent post in each section of the forums are much, much smaller now,
*snip*
Inside each thread there doesn't seem to be a problem
got it, thanks.

Also, did you look into the updating feature of new posts being posted while you're typing up a post, and not actually updating it after pressing the button? The feature may have been disabled as I don't see it popping up right now as I was typing this post, and there were several posts while I was typing this post.
I'm sure John will take a look

Also, quoting seems to have the same smaller font issue as well.

SS3.png

It almost feels like the two different font sizes are almost two sizes in difference.

When in desktop mode - on my iPad - the left side (feedback, game collection) stats get cutoff.  Pretty much anything to the left of everybody's avatar is cutoff.

Also, any chance you can make the 'Joined X years ago' stat to always be visible?  Nice to see who are the rookies and who are the seasoned vets.  Maybe I am the only one who cares.  Dunno.

Never knew there was a forum upgrade but I like it. I'll look at the mobile version (if there is) later on my phone.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but this font color choice makes editing [customspoiler=extremely difficult.]

gS3xjKR.png

[/customspoiler]

Ok, I change what I said, I do agree that the changes were minor, but, the minor changes add up to a lesser visual experience IMO. If performance is better, that's great, but visually, it's much worse, again IMO
Could not agree more with this. Improving performance is great but visually the site looks so much different again. We'll all get used to it I'm sure but IMO the site looks worse because of these changes.

Everything is just too damn small, and I'm on a 24" monitor, so that should really tell you that there is something wrong with this change. I'm not sure if you take into consideration of those who have poor eye sight, but I am one of those people, and it shouldn't have to be a struggle for me to see what people are posting on the forum.
Do me a favor Squarehard and screen cap the site and post it here. The changes were relatively minor, and in fact, the font got slightly bigger, not smaller.

Thanks.
Here's my feedback so far:

1) The fonts did get smaller for me. Only checking on my work PC for the moment (Win 8.1, Firefox 35.0.1) and the font is definitely smaller. Not an issue for me, as I'm OK with the change, though on my 1080p monitor, it's a noticeable change. Will try some other browsers later and see if it's browser specific.
The main forum page is where I have the main issue with the font size, as you can see that the thread titles of recent post in each section of the forums are much, much smaller now, and I have to either move my face up to the screen, or squint a little to see it properly, which is definitely worse than before.

Inside each thread there doesn't seem to be a problem, but outside of the thread, looking at the layout, that is where the majority of the problems with text size is occurring for me, and makes it fairly more difficult to navigate from my perspective.

I am using Firefox 35.0.1, OS is Windows 7 platform.
Also on Firefox 35.0.1 Win7. I'm on a 17" monitor at the moment, and my eyes are hurting 1.5' away.

Physically, the entire width of the posts is about 7", with about 6.5" of unused width. I get less eye strain reading on my 4.7" phone.

As for other issues:

1) I don't notice the screen being darker either, but I don't usually have brightness up anyways.

2) I don't like how the name of the poster takes up more vertical space. It should have been just on the side, like it used to be.

3) Similarly, I don't like how much horizontal space is used up by user stats, which are more or less useless. I literally have 5.75" of text per line on the screen on this monitor. The stats could easily go under the avatar, or make everything mouse-over.

4) I don't like how much unused space there are on the sides. In total, like 45% of the screen is completely blank.

5) I don't know why we have to mouse over for the trading statistics, when the game stats are arguably less valuable. Maybe you're trying to make this a main trading site, especially since Goozex is gone. I don't know what the intentions are.

Edit: Forgot some things.

6) Please bring back the followed content thread. That's what I use 99% of the time.

7) I do like that it looks cleaner overall. Although I'm not a fan of the front page. It's too busy, and reminds me of the Windows 8 Start Screen. And you know how everyone loved that.

How can you quick message another member? Previously, you would select 'send message' under their icon and a window would pop up. Now, you are taken to another page.

Edit: This has been fixed.

Also, the reveal the new post button doesn't seem to be working as I just tried it several times while I typed this message. I kept clicking it, it would disappear, seem like it would load something, and then it would pop up again to let me know there was that same new post that I can't seem to get to.
There has been a problem with that function for a few weeks at least.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but this font color choice makes editing [customspoiler=extremely difficult.]

gS3xjKR.png

[/customspoiler]
Does clicking the 'light switch' icon located on the top left of the toolbar help?

What happened to the "What's New" link on the top of the page that allowed you to bring up recent posts across all forums? IMO that is the only efficient way to navigate the site.

Edit: Never mind; there isn't a permanent "sticky" for it at the top of the site like before but it's under the "Forums" -----> "Quick Links" drop down menu.
I for one would very much like to have one-click access to "What's New" back please.

If you're looking for changes to the frontpage/layouts, it would be awesome if the "What's New" button wasn't buried in a menu.  Loved when it was up top, in the main menu.

Is there no way to hide front page panels?  What I liked about the old layout was that the important things were all right up top when you loaded the page; on the left was the top deals list and the right was the CAG tweets.  Now all that stuff is buried and lost below this extra stuff that I've never cared about like the Community blogs and collection stats.  And there are huge gaps of empty space up top when the CAG maintenance block isn't hovered over (but that one could also be because I'm browsing the site on my phone -- desktop mode, I hate "mobile versions" of sites. ) 

Oh, and clicking on my icon in the top right corner does nothing but immediately log me out.

Looks like posting to a topic no longer auto-follows it. Is there a way to turn that back on?

ETA: Did an experiment; posting to a thread on the mobile site DOES add it to my followed threads, but not on the regular site.

There's a new setting when editing your profile, "Include "What's New" in Navigation".
Awesome. Much appreciated.

I don't have the greatest setup but it looks to me like the blacks are washed out... almost as if I'm squinting through tired or dry eyes. That is my only other complaint.

Windows 8.1 using Chrome

Also, if anyone isn't a fan of the avatar/userinfo area (which is pretty much the same size as before, we're just adding some stats in the empty space), you can use the "Disable Avatars & User Info" setting to hide that completely.

I think I like the new forums layout (don't use much else yet, but I'm starting to expand my horizons).  I will miss the old dark blocky background, but this new look is nice and clean.  Good job so far!

I found what could be a (minor) quirk.  When I hover over someone's feedback percentage in a forum post it auto expands and shows their positive and negative numbers.  It doesn't do that in a conversation, is that intended?  If someone starts a convo with me I'd like to be able to see their numbers in that convo instead of having to go out and check.

Seems to be a problem with viewing embedded pics?

When I select the pic, just makes everything darker but doesn't actually display the pic

Just noticed also that the full site on mobile also cuts off a significant portion of the left and right sides of the page.  Like, half of most people's usernames are gone and the site won't allow you to either zoom out all the way to see the edges or even scroll over to see what's being cut off.

bread's done
Back