CAG Maintenance/Upgrade - Now Live!

Is the 'Advanced Search' coming back, where we could select a whole bunch of different search options? Or do I just not know how to access it? Would really like to be able to search entire forums by posts and not topics/threads.

The new twitter feed has more info but isn't as easy to read.  I liked the old one a bit more; also, why no CAG deals posted there now?  That's where I went for hot deals.  I like hot deals.

I noticed the "like this" button is blue on some threads and green on others. Not a big issue, but I thought I would pass that along. using FF.

this "update" was a downgrade for me -- bugs every other time I try to post something (it posts in the background, but does not update live, forcing many to try again and again so that there are repeating posts). Firgured this bug out the hard way.

The mobile site is harder to manage with the inconsistent top bar. Sometimes it shows up and other times it reverts back to the original mobile site (which is much better). It's completely random for me. Other times, the links up top don't drop down properly. And when it all works find, it's hard to pinpoint which thing you want to click on.

I use Chrome for desktop and mobile.

Seems like another violation of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" 

Last edited by a moderator:
this "update" was a downgrade for me -- bugs every other time I try to post something (it posts in the background, but does not update live, forcing many to try again and again so that there are repeating posts). Firgured this bug out the hard way.

The mobile site is harder to manage with the inconsistent top bar. Sometimes it shows up and other times it reverts back to the original mobile site (which is much better). It's completely random for me.

There was no mobile style for anything but the forums pre-update, if you went to a non-forum area of the site you got a blank page. That's how it used to work. You could argue that was also an inconsistent site experience.

The double posting issue was around before the upgrade. I know about it and I'm working on it.

The mobile site is harder to manage with the inconsistent top bar. Sometimes it shows up and other times it reverts back to the original mobile site (which is much better). It's completely random for me. Other times, the links up top don't drop down properly. And when it all works find, it's hard to pinpoint which thing you want to click on.

With all the complaints about accidental double posts and triple posts in this thread and the CAG 3.0 Go-Live thread, you figure more people would learn about the Hide button on their posts (instead of saying something like, "Oops, double post"). It replaced the Delete button from CAG 2.0 and does pretty much the same thing (takes the post out of view from the thread):

2a9zbyw.png

By no means a solution, but it will clean up those nasty double posts until posting becomes more reliable/stable.. :)

The whole double post thing is especially annoying because we haven't made any custom changes to that stock Invision functionality - it's yet another one of those great Invision bugs that only we seem to experience, which means fixing it takes us further away from their stock code. (And that makes upgrades a pain). To make matters worse, it's hard to replicate reliably - in short, it's a pain to fix quickly. 

In other news, improvements are up for the twitter panel on the front page - it now handles embedded images, better link handling, faster updates (the old Invision system seemed to never update), but this new one is coded from the ground up to actually function correctly. 

There was no mobile style for anything but the forums pre-update, if you went to a non-forum area of the site you got a blank page. That's how it used to work. You could argue that was also an inconsistent site experience.

The double posting issue was around before the upgrade. I know about it and I'm working on it.
The mobile version of the site hasn't worked for at least six months now, which is annoying when people post gifs, images, or whatever in various threads with no regard for mobile users. The only option is the forced desktop version of the forums that is not ideal for those of us that want an easy browsing experience that is easy on our mobile bandwidth caps. I'm using the normal Chrome app on my Android phone (Moto G), if that's helpful.

The mobile version of the site hasn't worked for at least six months now, which is annoying when people post gifs, images, or whatever in various threads with no regard for mobile users. The only option is the forced desktop version of the forums that is not ideal for those of us that want an easy browsing experience that is easy on our mobile bandwidth caps. I'm using the normal Chrome app on my Android phone (Moto G), if that's helpful.
Which mobile style issues are you specifically referring to? (Sorry if they've been brought up before and missed, it can be a challenge to keep on top of the todo list.)

Which mobile style issues are you specifically referring to? (Sorry if they've been brought up before and missed, it can be a challenge to keep on top of the todo list.)
That it doesn't exist. When I try to browse CAG, all that I get is the desktop version of the forums that is ill-suited for a mobile device with the need to constantly zoom in and out to be able to read them along with text just appearing in random sizes whenever it feels like it.

That it doesn't exist. When I try to browse CAG, all that I get is the desktop version of the forums that is ill-suited for a mobile device with the need to constantly zoom in and out to be able to read them along with text just appearing in random sizes whenever it feels like it.
If you click the "Use Mobile Version" link in the footer when browsing the forums, does it stay in the desktop style for you?

John,

Thank you for fixing the Twitter box on the homepage.

However, the profile feed still does not work on my iPad at least. I can see the 'Post' button was changed, but nothing happens when I click it.

Thanks for all the hard work on the upgrade! Would it be possible to get an update on the current status of the Marketplace (i.e. when/if it's coming back)? If it will be ready anytime soon, I want to get a head start on adding my collection.

Laptop-Explorer-full site

Currently having a problem uploading pictures to my gallery.  I can retrieve the pic from my phone through the laptop as usual.  When I click the upload button nothing happens.  I use this function often and have never experienced any problems before.  I tried multiple images and none uploaded.  I'll keep trying and notify you if anything changes on my end.  Thanks for your help.

Edit:  The advance uploader worked for gallery uploads.  The basic uploader still not working. 

Hey John, is there any way of fixing the issue that breaks formatting for list posts like this thread of mine where the color stuff stops working midway through the list? The only way to fix it on my end is to quote the post and you can see it all formatted correctly. The custom spoilers I use on that post are broken in the Wiki Post, so it looks like it breaks the two main things in that list.

Hey John, is there any way of fixing the issue that breaks formatting for list posts like this thread of mine where the color stuff stops working midway through the list? The only way to fix it on my end is to quote the post and you can see it all formatted correctly. The custom spoilers I use on that post are broken in the Wiki Post, so it looks like it breaks the two main things in that list.
That's weird. There does seem to be a limit. I tested and was having success, but now I think I've just totally fucked up the formatting of the wiki. Working on undoing what I may have done.

EDIT: Should be able to make it work in posts by editing and previewing in BBCode view. Wiki posts seem to have an actual limit on BBCode and customspoilers don't seem to work at all.

I noticed that if I hover over some people's titles it says "member since 9.4 years ago" or something to that effect. When I hover over mine, it doesn't do that. Is it because it is my own account or is there a setting somewhere?

example: the guy above me, If I mouse over "Make it loud" it gives his info. On my profile it doesn't do that.

I noticed that if I hover over some people's titles it says "member since 9.4 years ago" or something to that effect. When I hover over mine, it doesn't do that. Is it because it is my own account or is there a setting somewhere?

example: the guy above me, If I mouse over "Make it loud" it gives his info. On my profile it doesn't do that.
That works for my account. I hover over "There are no strings on me..." and it gives me a bunch of stuff. Windows 7, latest Chrome browser.

EDIT: Odd, it didn't work that way on this post, until I refreshed the screen. Try that.

If you post in the thread it disables it until you refresh. mystery solved! Thanks guys! I see it now.

With all the complaints about accidental double posts and triple posts in this thread and the CAG 3.0 Go-Live thread, you figure more people would learn about the Hide button on their posts (instead of saying something like, "Oops, double post"). It replaced the Delete button from CAG 2.0 and does pretty much the same thing (takes the post out of view from the thread):

2a9zbyw.png

By no means a solution, but it will clean up those nasty double posts until posting becomes more reliable/stable.. :)
No option for this on mobile devices...

Is there a way to lookup my old posts? I know there are at least 5 on the profile, but what if I want to look back say 50 or so posts?
There sure is:

• Go to your profile
  • Click the "Find Content" button (it should be above the green box on the right that shows how many "likes" you have)
  • On the left panel, under where it says "See this member's", select "Only posts"
The only problem is that it seems to only go back a year.

Is the extra wiki post for wiki threads supposed to keep reverting to the original post even after deleting the parts that don't need to be repeated? Every time I click on "Edit Wiki Post" to add or change something, it shows me an older version and not the newest version. I can sort of make it work by clicking the Compare button on a recent revision on the side, but that feels like the sloppy way to get around this issue.

So how do we get to content I follow on the mobile site? I s still have to do the right click trick to get the overlay menu. ( and use the non mobile version)

There are still issues with long wiki lists like the one here losing color about halfway through the list and breaking the custom spoiler tags, so it just shows the bb code instead. You can look in the archive spoiler in the first post to see that it's not the list itself that is causing the issue, but the wiki post that is breaking that stuff.

CAG has been randomly responding really slow for me starting yesterday. I have also been getting host time out error (524?) from cloudflare a few times.

Flash.newegg.com deals use to redirect correctly but now just go straight to newegg.com instead.

I think when you post in a thread you should automatically follow it. I am not sure if that is a glitch or by design, but I posted in a thread on the 17th and it didn't show in my list. It did show a yellow star in the "what's new" section.

Maybe threads you post in should show in "my content". I don't understand why we have two different sections "my content" and "content I follow" if neither one auto subscribes. (or what the difference is)

I think when you post in a thread you should automatically follow it. I am not sure if that is a glitch or by design, but I posted in a thread on the 17th and it didn't show in my list. It did show a yellow star in the "what's new" section.

Maybe threads you post in should show in "my content". I don't understand why we have two different sections "my content" and "content I follow" if neither one auto subscribes. (or what the difference is)
May sound like a stupid question, but do you have 'Auto follow topics I reply to' selected under your notification options? I know some people reported notifications for quotes not working with the move to 3.0. I don't think it was ever fixed. May be a similar situation even if the auto follow box is checked.

I still have issues signing in on using the iPad. I have to press and hold and open the sign in link in a new tab just to be able to sign in.

Also, feedback is still not listed (positive and negative without having to do the dropdown) on trading forums.

bread's done
Back