CAG Maintenance/Upgrade - Now Live!

Isn't that what it's supposed to do? Assuming you mean the "Cheapassgamer" logo. When I click on "forums", it takes me to the forums, like I'd expect.
There is no such thing on the mobile version. Clicking on the "CheapAssGamer" text logo always brought up the main forum listing before this update screwed everything up.

On the twitter feed on the front page, have it so you can go to the tweet directly on Twitter like before.  There are times when you just have to make fun of Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck and precious seconds are lost.

On the Game Collection, when you click on the details of the item in your collection, some games, like a PC game, already have missing selected for Case Conditions and Manual Conditions.  Is there a way to unselect it?  Most of my PC games are digital so Missing doesn't really apply.  Maybe you can add a Digital one instead or allow it to be unselected without selecting something else.  

Also, when submitting a game to the CAG database, there were only 10 Genres of games.  I submitted RBI Baseball last night for the Xbone and left it blank as Sports was not one of those 10 options and it does not let you add one.

Pictures on the twitter feed on the main page don't show up for me anymore, just their link to view it on the actual twitter website. I would greatly appreciate this being fixed eventually, there are bigger problems than this right now (the sides are still cut off on ipad for me) but thought I would mention it anyways.

Looking forward to the price tracker function being integrated with the wish list, as in the old days.  Can't speak for everyone, but I would visit almost every day before the previous change, and sometimes I go a week without visiting now.  Just wish it hadn't taken so long to bring it back (actually, I forget how long it's been... two years? three?)

Anyway, thanks for making the changes, cheapy et al. :applause:

Using the search function in a forum... When I try to scroll down it makes the search disappear. Also hitting enter after typing the words on the search bar gives me an error.

Windows 7 Laptop Google Chrome.

Using the search function in a forum... When I try to scroll down it makes the search disappear. Also hitting enter after typing the words on the search bar gives me an error.

Windows 7 Laptop Google Chrome.
It seems like the search is an overlay. I had the same problem this morning. If you move your cursor to the middle of the screen, the search should come back up.

Just noticed also that the full site on mobile also cuts off a significant portion of the left and right sides of the page. Like, half of most people's usernames are gone and the site won't allow you to either zoom out all the way to see the edges or even scroll over to see what's being cut off.
I have this problem too! IPad 4.

Sides cut-off on my iPad Air.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Mine looks exactly like this user's!

When I try to view someone's collection, I can view the first page.  However, when I click the "next" arrow at the bottom of the page it sends me to my collection.  So I can't get past the first page of someone's collection.

Another thing about the collection page, there used to be a CAG population report.  I know it's not a priority but I always thought it was an interesting part of the collection page.

Last edited by a moderator:
HTC ONE android mobile site
Edit: Never mind, I figured it out. You have to press and hold down not just click to use notification and message tabs on the home mobile page.
Thanks for all your hard work!

A whole bunch of iPad improvements are live. Still some issues, but a lot of layout problems should be resolved.

Wiki Posts

• Wiki post content now appears as a second post instead of taking over the thread’s first post.
Mobile CAG currently doesn't show the wiki post in threads that have that function enabled.

John is going to take the site down at approximately 5AM on 1/29. The whole thing should take around 3 hours.

When the site comes back, there will be a new front page (which still needs work) and a host of other improvements. There will be new features and improvements added more frequently once this update hits. We the know the last update was disastrously bad and will do our best to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Some stuff that will be available with this update (or soon after):

Site-wide

• New ajax search system with content filters and integrated collection/list support
  • Automatic style switching between mobile and responsive style
  • Typekit fonts, color changes, general CSS improvements
  • CAGcast “new!” notification in nav when a new episode is posted
  • new/better region detection code

Forums

• New post avatar area with collection/list stats, trader stats.
  • Displays the last game a user added to their “Now Playing” list in their post.
  • Changed platform tag to remove distracting colours
  • De-greened and de-purpled text in text editor
  • Hovering over a user’s user title displays additional info. (Post count, years since joined.)
  • CSS improvements to the text editor to match it to the dark style.

Front page

• Responsive mobile support
  • Members belonging to specific usergroups can supply a headline/description/image for a deal, which appears at the top of the front page in the feature area.
  • Images uploaded in the feature section are used in the recent/popular deals areas on the front page.
  • List mode for displaying features without all the images
  • Hide collection stats panel for site guests
  • “CAG now streaming on Twitch” panel

Collections, Wish Lists, and Custom Lists

• Layout improvements
    A lot of changes making it more obvious when you’re viewing another user’s list/collection, default table view, better indication when you’re editing settings for a specific entry, new navigation for switching between lists, etc.
  • Improved list filtering with keyword searching, sort ordering, additional fields.

Wiki Posts

• Wiki post content now appears as a second post instead of taking over the thread’s first post. Currently, only OP can make wikis, but that will be changed shortly.
Product Pages

• Will now list threads where the product has been tagged in posts.
  • coming soon: new user review/award system

Contests

Code Giveaways

Reviews

• Tagged threads now appear in the product sidebar
  • coming soon: importing old Shipwreck reviews
  • coming soon: new reviews home page, integrates the new user review system with stats
Price Tracker

• coming soon: working price tracker with responsive mobile support

Here are some screencaps at 1440p which will probably look shitty:

attachicon.gif
newcag3.png

attachicon.gif
newcag2.png

attachicon.gif
newcag1.png
I have certain concerns/feedback I hope can be answered:

1. It is rather quite difficult viewing the number of trade/sell feedbacks a user has as it now focuses on the percentage. So even a person that did just 1 trade with 100% can already be trusted 100% as opposed to a person having done multiple trades and one bad feedback to appear just 90%. Also, I liked it better before when just by scrolling you'd see the number of feedback a person has already when browsing who to tried. I don't like to have to hover just to see that, I'd like one quick glance as I scroll down a page.

2. I don't know what happened or where to find the list of threads I follow.

3. Tried signing in via Ipad, you'd have to again click to get the sign in button to appear. Can't we just have a one-click sign in button immediately?

4. Also, clicking my avatar signs me out. Previously it was supposed to take me my profile page. Can we have that back?

Hoping somebody can answer.

How do you change your status on the new site?

I would recommend being able to edit it from your profile edit page.

The new layout seems mobile focused to a fault.  It looks very compressed on my computer, and provides less information on the home page.

I am definitely not a fan.

This might sound crazy, but is there any way to prevent the site from automatically redirecting me to https?  Better security is awesome and all, but I don't like the way the secure version of the site functions (such as pages auto-reloading whenever I navigate Backward/Forward.

The new layout seems mobile focused to a fault. It looks very compressed on my computer, and provides less information on the home page.

I am definitely not a fan.
Not sure what you mean. The full site is still unusable on mobile, and now the mobile version is broken since I have to click about 5 extra things just to get back to the main forum listing. If they still haven't fixed that- which involves changing one line of HTML- then I'm not holding my breath waiting for any fixes.

Quick Q:  Is the site set to log you off after a certain amount of time or inactivity?  Before, on my home comp, I'd just leave myself logged in to no end for my own ease of access (so I wouldn't have to login all the time before posting, replying, etc...not that I'm that prolific anyway).  

Is my staying logged in so long a detriment or hindrance that is problematic for you guys on your end?  If that's the case, sorry, as I wasn't trying to be a problem.  No big deal.  I was just curious if it mattered or not.  

Thanks for all the hard work!

When I click on one user's Trading feedback (positive or negative) it just reloads the page I'm on. It would be great if it sent me to see his/her feedback instead.

When editing a wiki post, it does not show wiki post content. Instead it shows the content in the OP.

Not sure what you mean. The full site is still unusable on mobile, and now the mobile version is broken since I have to click about 5 extra things just to get back to the main forum listing. If they still haven't fixed that- which involves changing one line of HTML- then I'm not holding my breath waiting for any fixes.
One line of HTML? No. If you swap out the home page link and replace it with the forum home link, there has to be a home link somewhere. The most logical place would be in the icon grid (or "launcher" as Invision calls it), except with Invision the default behaviour of all those links is overridden - pages are loaded in via AJAX for no particular reason, and because non-forum pages are responsive and not based on the Invision mobile style, they're not compatible with the Invision AJAX page loader. So one line of HTML? Sure, and a bunch of javascript too. We're obviously aware of the issue, a fix is incoming.

When searching an individual game in the search bar (ex. Halo 4), if I click "Products" to bring up the game's individual page, when I click on the game itself, it just kicks me back to a forum. 

When searching an individual game in the search bar (ex. Halo 4), if I click "Products" to bring up the game's individual page, when I click on the game itself, it just kicks me back to a forum.
When you want to see the product page for an individual game, you just click the product name - there is no "products" link?

When you want to see the product page for an individual game, you just click the product name - there is no "products" link?
A few things:

UPDATE: I've narrowed down the issue. When on CAG's homepage, searching for products works just fine. HOWEVER, when in the forums, when I click on the name of the game when it appears in the search bar, it does not take me to it's own page, but kicks me back to the page I was viewing when searching for the product, which in this case would be the forum page.

In general, searching for products seems pretty slow, while forum, blog, and gallery searching seem very fast.

Also, the profile feed (status updates) in the profile page seems to be disabled. It's not letting me post a new update in my feed.

Also, the notifications and messages drop-down menus are still not appearing on the mobile site (iPhone 5S - iOS 8).

Thanks for your continued hard work, John and Cheapy.

John,

Is it possible that you could make links directly from the game's product page for when we are playing the game and when we beat it? Just like there currently is for adding it to our collection/wishlist?

One line of HTML? No. If you swap out the home page link and replace it with the forum home link, there has to be a home link somewhere. The most logical place would be in the icon grid (or "launcher" as Invision calls it), except with Invision the default behaviour of all those links is overridden - pages are loaded in via AJAX for no particular reason, and because non-forum pages are responsive and not based on the Invision mobile style, they're not compatible with the Invision AJAX page loader. So one line of HTML? Sure, and a bunch of javascript too. We're obviously aware of the issue, a fix is incoming.
I just wanted some acknowledgement after mentioning it 3 previous times to no answer while other questions were being answered. So, yay. Thanks!

I just wanted some acknowledgement after mentioning it 3 previous times to no answer while other questions were being answered. So, yay. Thanks!
Poking the bear isn't the best way to get some attention. :) I am confident that John is reading every line of text in this thread and fixing everything he can. Developers FTW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic. Just wanted someone to respond so I knew it was being addressed. Though this has nothing to do with John specifically, CAG staff has had a horrible track record of actually correcting any problems or issues for probably the past 4 years. With the lack of response prior to that, along with past precedent, my skepticism was justified. Glad to see that this is being handled.

How do you change your status on the new site?

I would recommend being able to edit it from your profile edit page.
Are you talking about the bubble box? It's under Profile Feed on your Profile. Although, I can't seem to get it to save anything new, with the update checkbox checked or unchecked.

The front page links are mostly not middle-clickable. You have to actually hit where the text is, and not the giant widget-looking space for the thread.

Edit: Clarified it's for middle mouse clicks.

When I click on one user's Trading feedback (positive or negative) it just reloads the page I'm on. It would be great if it sent me to see his/her feedback instead.
Thanks for all the reports. A substantial bug fix/tweak update is rolling out tonight.
Seems like it was resolved, well sort of. The icon that shows the trading feedback in general still reloads the page when I click on it. The positive and negatives buttons do take me to the feedback though.

I know what you're doing takes a lot of work so thanks.

Aw yeah, real-time weapon change search results.

How do you get to the advanced search page? Selecting 'Advanced Search' on the right after getting some results seems to take you to the same page as when the option on the left (More Results) is chosen.

The advanced search I'm referring to allows you to do the following:

Advanced Options
If instead of typing your keywords into the quick-search bar, you click the "Advanced" link next to it, you will see some advanced options for searching.

The first option, "Find words" is where you can enter the keywords to search for.

The next option, "Find author" can be used to only find content from a specific user. As you begin typing ausername, you should see a dropdown with username suggestions that you can select from.

The next option, "Find by date" allows you to restrict the results to content added between particular dates. To select your date, click the  button - this will bring up a calendar. From here you can select any date and your option will be filled into the search form.

The next option, "Find in forum allows you to restrict your results to content within particular forums. You can select multiple options by holding the Ctrl key on your keyboard (or the cmd key if you use a Mac) and clicking on your options.

You can leave any of these options blank, however you must supply at least one search criteria when submitting the form. Once you have filled in the options that you require, press the Do Search button.

Changes in this batch (now live):

- Numerous iPad layout fixes

- Logging out when clicking avatar fixed

- New logout/profile dropdown menu added when clicking/hovering over avatar

- Clicking on a user’s feedback now takes you directly to their feedback page

- Fixed an issue where product searches on forum pages linked back to the same forum page

- Replaced image lightbox system for viewing full size images

- Default logo link now takes you to the forum home page in mobile style

- Added home page link next to logo in mobile style

- Fixed notifications menu in mobile style

- Fixed inbox menu in mobile style

- Added “Digital” option for case/manual condition in collections

- Fixed an issue with pagination when viewing someone else’s collection/list

John,

On mobile (iPhone 5S), when you click on Price Tracker, the first result takes up the majority of the screen and you have to scroll down to see the rest of the results which show properly in list form.

John,

On mobile (iPhone 5S), when you click on Price Tracker, the first result takes up the majority of the screen and you have to scroll down to see the rest of the results which show properly in list form.
Yep, there's no mobile price tracker support yet.

Also, it seems like hardly any of Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat's tweets are coming through on the feed.
We're using the Invision twitter profile feed functionality for the front page twitter feeds, and it blows. Replacing it with our own system shortly.

Getting a little cutoff (iPhone 6) on this icon:

Fixed.

My searchbar still does not work on desktop - period (Win 7 - Firefox.)  I type something in, press enter or click the magnifying glass, nothing.  In Dolphin, on my Android, a little thing pops down below the search that displays results, but I don't even get that box when typing in on the desktop.  Just nothing.

bread's done
Back