CAG Marketplace Now in Open Beta, Available to All

Didn’t know if this was worth creating a new thread over, but I thought I’d bring it up.

I haven’t used the Marketplace in a while so I didn’t notice until tonight that there had been a bit of a redesign. It seems to me that the way the Matches list is generated has changed, and unfortunately I’m finding it problematic.

In the past, I believe that the Matches list consisted of any game in your Wish List for which there was someone in the Marketplace willing to sell or trade for it. Even when I had no games for trade, I could still access the Matches list. When I went to look at my Matches list today it was completely blank. I didn’t understand why when my Wish List consisted of 350+ games, but on a guess I decided to add a game to my Trade List as I didn’t have any games on it.

Added LBP2 to the Trade List, and finally got a small list of matches. When I clicked on each of the games in my Matches list and perused the Wish Lists of each of the people offering games, I noticed every single one of these people had LBP2 on their list. So my assumption now is that Matches lists are generated by only the games that are in common between two peoples’ Trade Lists. It’s an interesting system and has undoubtedly made the Marketplace experience more streamlined for some, however there are a couple of inconveniences that I need to voice.

Since the Marketplace is also used for buying as well as trading, I’d like a way to be able to view a list of any game in my Wish List that someone has for sale in the Marketplace. As it stands I can no longer view games from traders not seeking anything in my Trade List, so that impedes my ability to buy games via the Marketplace. If I’m only interested in buying something and the other party has a price, what I have in my Trade List is irrelevant and under the current system I’d have to stuff my Trade List full of games (even if I’m not actually interested in trading them) just to increase the odds of more games from my Wish List being visible on my Matches page.

Also (although this is a minor issue and doesn’t bother me personally) if there was an option to only show matches within a difference of a given Average CAG Valuation or MSRP for games, it would help weed out useless matches for some people. Even though LBP2 is a new game, every game on my Wish List for which someone had LBP2 on their Wish List showed up, meaning I was getting matches including low-dollar items like Burnout Paradise and Star Wars TFU. While I understand that this is a less of a problem for someone who has a huge Trade List including games of highly varying values, a quick way to sort matches along those lines would be great for people looking for games in a certain value range at a given moment.

Apologies for the wall of text but I suck at condensing my thoughts. Thanks for hearing me out, and feel free to mock me if there’s an option for changing the way matches are created and I just couldn’t find it :lol:

I was wondering, is there any way to check out the feedback people leave for others? I know in the past you were able to but after the Marketplace redesign I can't find a way to do so.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Yes, you are correct about our new 2-way matching system.[quote name='fwbweux']
Since the Marketplace is also used for buying as well as trading, I’d like a way to be able to view a list of any game in my Wish List that someone has for sale in the Marketplace. As it stands I can no longer view games from traders not seeking anything in my Trade List, so that impedes my ability to buy games via the Marketplace.[/quote]
The wish list will include the new ajax functionality that is present on the marketplace home page. in the meantime, clicking on the name of any game on your wish list will take you to a page of all the marketplace listings. You can then initiate transactions from there.

I highly recommend you take advantage of the wish/trade list system. If you are interested in actually trading and not just buying, enter in a few more games to your trade list. You will get a much better feel for how the system works and receive a lot more matches.

[quote name='fwbweux']
Also (although this is a minor issue and doesn’t bother me personally) if there was an option to only show matches within a difference of a given Average CAG Valuation or MSRP for games, it would help weed out useless matches for some people. [/QUOTE]
We are working on a valuation system to help people make more informed shopping decisions. It's not going to prevent you from making offers, but will alert you that the offer you are about to make might be lopsided.

[quote name='CheapyD']The wish list will include the new ajax functionality that is present on the marketplace home page. in the meantime, clicking on the name of any game on your wish list will take you to a page of all the marketplace listings. You can then initiate transactions from there.[/QUOTE]

Ah, good to know that it's still a work in progress. With the old Matches page I could just do a quick scan down the entire list to see the lowest price for each available game, so as long as there's ultimately something that allows me to see the prices again without having to click on individual games, it'll make things very easy.

Though I understand if the way I use the Marketplace is unusual compared to most other CAGs, as personally I rarely go there with a specific game in mind but will just impulse buy any game I see that's hit my price range. I do see that checking prices on individual games is fine for anyone who has a specific game they're looking for and not blindly scrolling down their entire list like me.

[quote name='CheapyD']I highly recommend you take advantage of the wish/trade list system. If you are interested in actually trading and not just buying, enter in a few more games to your trade list. You will get a much better feel for how the system works and receive a lot more matches.[/quote]

I can definitely see how it's going to yield way more results once I have more games in my Trade List. I'll see what I can't scrounge up to put in the list.

[quote name='CheapyD']We are working on a valuation system to help people make more informed shopping decisions. It's not going to prevent you from making offers, but will alert you that the offer you are about to make might be lopsided.[/quote]

Interesting. Do you expect this to only apply to current-gen games (as their current MSRPs are easily accessible online) or do you plan on a way to do this for vintage games as well? I'd imagine CAG valuations or average sale prices from videogamepricecharts.com are both options.

Taking the idea even further, for those doing buying in the Marketplace, a way to link the Price Alert values that one has set for the games in their Wish List to some kind of filter that ignores results for any Marketplace copies of that game above that price could be a convenient feature. Thanks for your response to my previous post and for hearing me out again :)

That system will work best for current gen systems, but will take into account the condition of your game. We can present you with data from previous sales of vintage games on the cag marketplace.

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there a way to get a list of people who are looking for game X but don't have any of the games on my wishlist? Dunno if I'm explaining this very well so I'll try an example.

Let's say I have Dead Space 2 for the 360 that I'm willing to trade. Can I bring up a list of people who have that on their wishlist regardless of whether or not they have any of the games on my wishlist. I would just like to be able to browse a list of people who want a game that I have and look up what they have to available to trade.

This may sound odd, but there might be people who have games I'd want to trade that I haven't thought to put on my wishlist, but the way the implementation of the matching system is now I can't look up who wants a game I have for trade unless they have something on my wishlist as well. Unless, of course, I'm just an idiot and missed some way to do just that.

Gah.. I feel like I'm typing gibberish so I hope you can understand the gist of what I'm asking.

BTW.. the marketplace as it stands is an amazing feature and a great addition to the site!! Keep up the great work guys!

I bought a game from CAG, and he(or she) has accepted the offer. What now?

I'm at the trade summary, and there's no option to send the money via Paypal, or where I can find the seller's address. Does the seller even know my address? How do I make sure the user does know? I typed my complete address on the marketplace profile, but I can't seem to figure out how to show this address from a seller's point-of-view.

This is my first time making a deal, and I don't want any fumbles, so what's my first step (outside PMs)?

Thank you. I swear... okay, i don't swear because it's bad to swear. but I promise that I did a search and absolutely nothing came up.

Sorry, if this has already been answered, but is there a way to have the system email me when someone updates a trade with a message? You know, the little chat box where both parties are able to discuss the trade with each other?

The trader posted a message, but I never knew about it until I thought to check it after the trader accepted my trade, and I only knew the trader accepted my trade because that action does generate an email.

[quote name='Devulture']I bought a game from CAG, and he(or she) has accepted the offer. What now?

I'm at the trade summary, and there's no option to send the money via Paypal, or where I can find the seller's address. Does the seller even know my address? How do I make sure the user does know? I typed my complete address on the marketplace profile, but I can't seem to figure out how to show this address from a seller's point-of-view.

This is my first time making a deal, and I don't want any fumbles, so what's my first step (outside PMs)?[/QUOTE]
The trade summary page should be telling you exactly what to do next.
Whats the offerid # at the end of the URL?

[quote name='SikFlux']Sorry if this has been asked, but is there a way to get a list of people who are looking for game X but don't have any of the games on my wishlist? Dunno if I'm explaining this very well so I'll try an example.

Let's say I have Dead Space 2 for the 360 that I'm willing to trade. Can I bring up a list of people who have that on their wishlist regardless of whether or not they have any of the games on my wishlist. I would just like to be able to browse a list of people who want a game that I have and look up what they have to available to trade.

This may sound odd, but there might be people who have games I'd want to trade that I haven't thought to put on my wishlist, but the way the implementation of the matching system is now I can't look up who wants a game I have for trade unless they have something on my wishlist as well. Unless, of course, I'm just an idiot and missed some way to do just that.

Gah.. I feel like I'm typing gibberish so I hope you can understand the gist of what I'm asking.

BTW.. the marketplace as it stands is an amazing feature and a great addition to the site!! Keep up the great work guys![/QUOTE]

I was just wondering this myself, or so I think. Let me see if we are on the same page. It would be helpful if one could browse user wishlists by game and then browse games for trade in their collection.
For instance, I want to get rid of FFXIII (PS3) but don't really know what I want in return. I just know I want to trade it away. Therefore, being able search wishlists for FFXIII enables me to peruse that particular user's games for trade. This way I am seeing what I can get for what I have to offer.
The way it stands now, my "matched" user has a game I want in their collection for trade, but do not have the game I want to trade in their wishlist.
Hope this all makes sense and apologies if this has been answered.

If we could also take out the users that haven't been active in quite some time it'd help thinning out the number of people that show up in the Marketplace results. Too many times have I found a solid trade for one of the games I want only to find the users last activity being over 2 years ago:cry:

Thanks for adding the trade activity update notification, otherwise I might have missed some chats. However, may I make a suggestion? Can that notification have a setting so that people can set up whether or not they want to receive the notification as PM? Because it is kind of redundant to have it notify the user twice by having "Trade Activity" and "Unread PM". Sorry if I missed such setting.

Thought I'd mention that I'm now receiving an error whenever I attempt to add a game in my collection to my trade list. When I click the "add to trade list" button (the recycle symbol", I receive the following message:

You don/t have permission to edit this record.
(/ isn't a typo on my part, it's "don/t" instead of "don't")

Any technical assistance appreciated.

I like how it pops up the address you are supposed to ship your items to whenever you accept a trade; however, I like to be 100% sure my items are being shipped to the correct address. I know I have my address correct in my profile; however, it's just nice to see it printed on screen.

So my suggestion is, when a trade is accepted by both parties, instead of just showing a box with "shipping information," split it into two boxes:

"Please ship your items to:"
Recipient's name
Recipient's address

"Your address:"
Your profile-listed shipping name
Your profile-listed shipping address

I think a lot of people will agree with me on this because almost every time I setup a trade, the other party will PM me their address just to make double sure it gets sent to the right place.

Love the new marketplace, keep up the work. I have another suggestion/bug/issue but I'm going to create a separate thread for it.

When I click on "Marketplace, Matches" it brings up a list of all the matches of games I want. Next to one of the matches, if there are multiple users, I typically click on the cell with the number of users under the Trade column (e.g. "8 users") in order to find out who I can trade with.

So far so good...

Now I click on one of the CAGs name to see what they want in return for the game I am looking for. If I don't see anything I want, I hit the back button on my browser. The problem is this takes you back two steps instead of one. You are now back at having to click on the number of users on your entire list of wanted games instead of the user breakdown of the game you were searching for.

Possibly in the PHP you can earmark a last known spot in the search before sending the browser to the CAGs trade list, so when they hit the back button, it returns them to that last known spot instead of resetting them to the top of the PHP code.

Just a suggestion, but hey, you guys want us to embrace Marketplace. Just doing my part to point out the glitches ;). Overall it's great. Thanks.

[quote name='Spanky']Not to mention they should have a feature to remove the members that haven't been active on this site for over 2 months. It sucks finding the perfect working trade and then you see the user hasn't logged in since November 2010. Not sure if they want multiple marketplace topics though in the feedback forum since there is a thread for it.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250859[/QUOTE]

Ya know, that is so true. I've sent offers numerous times to have them just sit there and never get a response. After a few days I'll go look at their public profile only to see they've not logged on in months. I would probably suggest only listing CAGs that have logged on in the last 2-3 weeks. Anything older than that and it's just a waste of time really.

Also, people need to keep their collection lists up to date :p ... I've sent off a lot of trades for things to which I get a reply "oh i picked that up last month, just forget to remove it from my list." Not sure how you could do that ... it's a per-member housekeeping thing really. Possibly just do a front page reminder when they login "have you updated your list lately?" but that would get annoying too I'm sure.

May be annoying but I'm at fault for leaving games on my wishlist that I've already picked up. Thats a great feature though if you do use marketplace. If the trade is accepted those games from your wishlist are auto added to your collection and taken out on the ones you traded.

marketplace-zindex.png

Not a major issue, but slightly annoying nonetheless. The z-index on the search field is causing it to overlap the submenu.

Would still love to see non active members removed from the trade lists. Or even banned users. That seems to have been cleared but every once in a while I'll get a game match and it's a banned user. Seeing a match though and then checking the users last log in is such a letdown:cry:. I have so many cancelled trades in the archive because of this. It would make finding a trading partner much smoother.

Not sure if this is the right place for my question but I'm having trouble clearing 2 of my trades.

1 - A CAG paid for a game I no longer have. My mistake. I apologized and quickly refunded the money. Now I can't clear the trade.

2 - Had a clean transaction. All items and payment have been received. But it wont clear from my current trades. It still says (In Transit) but the other CAG marked them as received. Not sure why the trade isn't cleared as complete.

[quote name='CheapyD']What's the ID#s at the end of the URLs?[/QUOTE]

And now I have a third one that finished today but still says in transit (#12188) Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I saw this thread on the front page and was shocked by the number of comments... until I saw that it took over a year to accumulate all of those. Haha.

Still hoping for a fix for the available users for a possible trade. Have Mass Effect 1 & 2 in my wishlist. Both have a good amount of users available to trade with. 90% of them haven't been on in over a year. If we could somehow take the traders out that have had no activity for at least a month I think finding trades would be a lot easier.

Cheapy, thanks for reposting the feature on the front page. Like many, I really want to love and support this feature. Unfortunately, the matching process has been challenging and appears to still be a little buggy.

As recent as today, I'll go in and pull up my matches. I click on a user that has the game I want from my wish list and presumably wants a game on my trade list. One of three things happens:

A) I get a message that User doesn't have any games that are on my wish list or that I don't have any games that are on there's (so, it's not really a match).

B) It says we have a match, but the trade screen is pulling games from both of our collections that neither of us want to trade.

C) It says we have a match but it's pulling the match info from some unknown place. You can propose a trade for a game that's not actually in their trade list, or offer a game that is not still in their wish list.

Of course, the match system won't work if people don't keep their lists updated. But these are three issues that seem to be happening with users who take the time to keep their trade and wish lists updated.

Will there be any further resources or options for those members who get screwed over by another? Leaving a feedback just doesn't seem like enough.

This topic goes to a personal issue with my first trade, which has ended up with my trading partner leaving me ripped off, the only course left for me to take through the website was to leave negative feedback, but that hardly seems like it would put any kind of pressure on him to sent the agreed upon game in return. In doing further research, unfortunately, afterwards it appears this user has in the past simply created additional accounts after ripping someone off, so that they don't have to deal with the negative feedback. I think the only real option I have is to plan a road trip with some friends to travel to the address I sent the game to and if it turns out to be his or his parent's home I could then personally thank him for attempting to rip me off, take back my game (and maybe the game I was suppose to receive), and leave him with a stark reminder of why stealing is wrong.

bread's done
Back