CAG ModNation Racers Night [Wednesdays @ 10pm EST]

I posted the following on GameFAQs and I'm posting it in both MNR threads here. I am beyond pissed off. I sent messages (PSN) to metaly and freaky trying to explain what was going on, but got no response. I'm done with this game unless UFG does something miraculous in the next day or two.

I posted something here in the first 2 weeks of the game being out and it was moderated. Some people apparently could not distinguish between trolling and legitimate complaints, even though I talked about how fantastic the creation options were and how much I enjoyed the actual gameplay. Hopefully, that won't be an issue this time.

I know it's long, but please read and understand that I am a player who loves the gameplay, but is incredibly frustrated- justifiably so- in the complete catastrophe that is the online portion of the game. I am attempting to achieve resolution and not to incite arguments.

When the game first came out, I couldn't connect to the online portion. Well, not the races, anyway. The game would not automatically sign in once I entered my modspot, and repeated attempts to sign in would not work. The whole time, I was clearly signed in to the PSN Network AND all the top mods, karts, coming attractions, etc. were displaying, so clearly, I was connected to the ModNation servers. I could download anything and everything.

I even returned my copy and got another one. Same issue. I tried it on a different system as well. Eventually, after 2-3 weeks, the game started working. Except for a few hiccups, the online modes worked fine for em after that. That was until today.

I downloaded and installed the patch, which took 10 minutes, whereas a download of the same size would have taken 30 seconds on the Xbox. But that's a PS3 problem, not a MNR problem. However, the load times actually got worse. Instead of getting stuck on 65% and taking literally 3 minutes to load the modspot like when the game first came out, it gets stuck at 71% and then takes at least as long.

The game initially connected to the servers, giving me a yellow globe icon. I checked my messages and then received an invite from a friend to join a casual race. Remember that- casual, not even XP. When I accepted the invite, I got to scrolling, "Joining game..." at the bottom of the screen, followed by a white check mark in a blue box. Then... nothing. I hit the circle button and my globe icon was red. Repeated attempts to connect failed.

That entire time, all the downloadable mods, karts, etc. were displayed and I could download them in seconds. The game would never connect when I tried, though. It randomly connected twice more over an hour plus span, and each time I tried to join a friend, accepting the invites disconnected me. Isn't that the opposite of what's supposed to happen?

After my friends signed off, I managed to get "connected" one more time, with a yellow globe. I went to join a casual online race. As I waited for it to load, it just stopped. Red globe again. I was "offline". Any attempts to "Connect to Online" after that resulted in the word "Connecting" flashing up top by the globe for a fraction of a second, then nothing. It wouldn't even attempt to connect. Unbelievable.

As I said, the creation options in this game are unparalleled. The actual gameplay is very fun and rivals Mario Kart. But whoever is responsible for the online portion of the game should never be allowed to work in the video game industry again, and I mean that with all seriousness. I have never seen the online portion of a game come close to this level of broken, and that covers the Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3.

The most telling thing is this: Yes, they released a patch, so apparently they've been doing something, even if they did fail miserably. But neither their official site, their Facebook, nor their Twitter has been updated since June 21st.

I am going to contact the company via e-mail tonight, and via telephone tomorrow using the number posted on their site. If they don't offer to remedy the situation, I'll look into what other options are available to me. But there is little to no chance that I will ever consider purchasing a game created by UFG in the future thanks to this debacle.

EDIT: More wackiness: I still had the game on, so I tried career mode. I figure I might as well finish that since it's the only part of the game that works. I finished a career mode race, and then at the race selection screen, I received an in-game message from another user. So, I was "connected", right?

I exited career central to the modspot. Red globe. Can't even attempt to join an online race. Clicking "connect" does nothing. Same stuff. I don't know what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really sorry to hear you're still having such terrible luck with the game, Matt. At this point I don't blame you for abandoning it.

I'm planning on picking this up tomorrow morning at Kmart for $40 (also have $10 off coupon), should I bite?

I mean, do you guys still play this game.

[quote name='option.iv']I'm planning on picking this up tomorrow morning at Kmart for $40 (also have $10 off coupon), should I bite?

I mean, do you guys still play this game.[/QUOTE]

Seems like there's a small group of 4-6 every Wednesday night, but as has been discussed, servers have been... questionable.

[quote name='option.iv']I'm planning on picking this up tomorrow morning at Kmart for $40 (also have $10 off coupon), should I bite?

I mean, do you guys still play this game.[/QUOTE]
Theres a demo on psn.
i was thinking about it, but if the online is iffy, i should probably play mario kart instead. even though i havent touched that game in 2 years.

I'll be there! There's a couple of cool tracks I want us to try, but the names of those tracks escape my head at the moment... I'll post again with the names when I get home. :)

I'll be there! Also I noticed they didn't post any featured tracks this Monday but have been using custom tracks for the last few weeks' hot laps, so here they are in case you need some track ideas, Randy:

Fortress in the Sky, by Jamz-TEC
Old Jungle Ruins, by VTemeV
Mazuri: Savannah Citadel by, IvoYaridovich
Twiz-Tid city, by KING_STARFISH
Drifter Village, Arceus130
Concrete Beach, by VintageOctopus
Mountain Madness by dragon_Bremen
Once A Scenic Drive… by StealthReborn–
Dawn Patrol, by maverick—07–
Broken Paradise by lneon_Inoodle
Hurghada Morning by DjTechnics
Gardens of Deception by ArgorokX
The Desert Kingdom, by StealthReborn–
Mount St. Salad Climb, by SaladSnacksSTD
Morning Sprint, by Crashdance23
Roma, by CIV_BOSS
Festival Circuit, by dragon_Bremen
Crimson Valley 1.6, by BorrelnootjeNL
La Lotte, by INeon_INoodle

Some good races last night! Thanks to everyone who played.

There were some really excellent tracks in that list, Metaly...thanks for collecting that info.

...and thanks to Scurker for sharing his track, as well. Nicely done!

It's Modnation night! Who's racing?

Here's this week's featured tracks:

ModNation Gardens, by Devin93
Spagonia: Rooftop Run, by IvoYaridovich

ModNation Gardens looks like it has a hedge maze section that reminds me of Peach Gardens from Mario Kart DS.

And then Hot Lap tracks:

Lake Side View, by paradise132
Summer Beach Circuit, by dragon_Bremen
Downhill Mountain [OFRD], by VintageOctopus
Beware of High Tide, by ck2875
Coastal Climb, by atheistsw

No one bumped the thread today? Are we playing tonight?

If so, I'm going to be about 15-30 minutes late. Could someone else get the party started, please?

I'm going to be away this Wednesday...would someone else like to volunteer their hosting services?

In fact, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to show up for MNR night with any degree of predictability...and it's actually going to get worse in the next few months. Would someone like to assume permanent hosting duties?

I'll still be able to show up to race from time-to-time but I can't do every single Wednesday, unfortunately.

As you all know, I don't even know if I can get the online to work on any given night, but maybe we could do another night when you will be available, if everyone could agree on a day.

It is so ridiculously hot I think I might go out instead of turning on my PS3/space heater. I might be on later if you guys are still playing.

I was looking forward to doing some of this week's featured tracks. This week, they're all by the same guy: the first Modnation Super Creator, Myles "MylesG" Gordon. The Aquatica and Forest tracks looks really cool, and the guy has apparently done 30 others.

As for an alternate night... Would Tuesdays work for everyone? Is it Wednesdays specifically that are a problem for you, Randy, or are you just going to be busier in general?

Matt, I continue to be amazed that you're still clinging onto this game. I hope your connection problems magically fix themselves soon.

[quote name='metaly']As for an alternate night... Would Tuesdays work for everyone? Is it Wednesdays specifically that are a problem for you, Randy, or are you just going to be busier in general?
[/QUOTE]

Busier in general, unfortunately.

I'm a little over-scheduled at the moment and need to ease up on some commitments in the interest of sanity. :bomb:

I'm also starting to chub up a bit more than I'd like, so I'm trying to get to the gym a bit more frequently, too.
muscle.gif

I guess people forgot with CAG downtime last night, but I played a few XP series in absence of everyone else. I missed having our usual hi-jinks on Wednesday night.

I'll be there for sure, with a special announcement! :whistle2:o (No, it's not that I finally finished a track.)

I don't think there's been a big race night for a few weeks, so there should be a good amount of custom tracks piled up for us to try.

[quote name='metaly']I'll be there for sure, with a special announcement! :whistle2:o (No, it's not that I finally finished a track.)

I don't think there's been a big race night for a few weeks, so there should be a good amount of custom tracks piled up for us to try.[/QUOTE]

I need to work on a new track, I've been slacking off recently.

But I'll be there tonight!

Hahah... That was definitely the most surreal moment in the history of MNR Night. And anyone who's survived Freaky's Experiment #2 knows that's saying a lot.

Also wow, I'm going to have nightmares because of that image, romeo. I don't know who to blame.

nce495.jpg

bread's done
Back